Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,592 members, 7,968,720 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 11:52 AM

DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) - TV/Movies (1530) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) (1304474 Views)

DC Extended Universe (TV) / Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners / Marvel Cinematic Universe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1527) (1528) (1529) (1530) (1531) (1532) (1533) ... (1549) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Xavier55(m): 9:08pm On Jun 17, 2023
😎😎😎😎😎

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Xavier55(m): 9:18pm On Jun 17, 2023
Now that the DCEU has been rebooted, it will be nice and of necessity for James Gunn to give detailed explanations on the nature of things in the DCU as regards what stays and what does not in other to eliminate confusions on the side of the fans.

Since the reboot is a soft reboot, we need to know which movie stays and which ones are out.

We need to know which characters stays, and which ones are out.

For movies that stays, we need to know the elements in them that stays, and those that are out.

He should do this to avoid confusions, complications, unnecessary and irrational complaint and criticisms on the part of the fanbase and critics.

He should create a video to do this

#Xavier
#DCian

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by nani667: 2:28am On Jun 18, 2023
°°

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Xavier55(m): 6:46am On Jun 18, 2023
To all the fathers and imminent fathers like me 😌, happy fathers day. Wishing you and us more grace, strength, love, longevity, resources and wisdom 😎.

#Xavier
#DCian

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Xavier55(m): 7:25am On Jun 18, 2023
I hope Gunn gives details on the "rough memories" as regarding movies, characters and elements in movies. It's very vital. But I know that Aquaman, The Suicide Squad, and Peacemaker will be retained in the DCU. These might be the only movies that will be retained, or there might be others also.

#Xavier
#DCian

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by BlackManta(m): 7:36am On Jun 18, 2023
Xavier55:
Now that the DCEU has been rebooted, it will be nice and of necessity for James Gunn to give detailed explanations on the nature of things in the DCU as regards what stays and what does not in other to eliminate confusions on the side of the fans.

Since the reboot is a soft reboot, we need to know which movie stays and which ones are out.

We need to know which characters stays, and which ones are out.

For movies that stays, we need to know the elements in them that stays, and those that are out.

He should do this to avoid confusions, complications, unnecessary and irrational complaint and criticisms on the part of the fanbase and critics.

He should create a video to do this

#Xavier
#DCian

I still think the soft reboot is a bad idea.

Do you know that every DCEU film since 2020 flopped.

WW84, Birds of Prey, TSS, Black Adam, Shazam 2 and now the Flash too is flopping.

There's zero goodwill for the DCEU and general audience do not care for it.

The way Shazam 2 flopped, you'd think the first movie didn't have it's fans.
Even the good DCEU films are not spared from being being disastrous flops.

Flash is surprisingly tanking at the domestic box office.
This one is shocking to me because WB marketed this film very well.

From Cinemacon to fan screenings, WB did their absolute best to lift this movie and yet....there's a chance it will make less money than Black Adam domestically.

If The Flash cannot succeed, I fear for Blue Beetle and Aquaman 2.
Those movies are looking like guaranteed flops no matter how good or bad they may be.

2020 - 2023 DCEU has been a total disaster.

This is the legacy of this failed cinematic universe.

I don't want any part of DCEU in the new DCU.

Even the smallest speck of it should be completely removed.

Hard reboot is the only way forward.

Nuke everything and start afresh.

There are some things I love about DCEU. Margot Robbie's Harley, Amanda Waller, Peacemaker, Sasha Calle's Supergirl.

As much as I love these characters and the actors that played them I still believe that there are new actors that can play those roles.

We need to start afresh.

A clean slate with no signs of the old DCEU.

That is the best way for the DCU.

I hope James Gunn reconsiders this soft reboot of a thing.

As for the last two DCEU films. If I'm a WB exec I will not spend a single dollar marketing those films.
It's better to just release it like that and pray it breaks even at the box office.

I can't wait for DCEU to finally end.

That one year and half break before DCU begins is very necessary.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by phr0nesis(m): 8:19am On Jun 18, 2023
πŸ‘†πŸ‘†
I agree with you 100%
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by BlackManta(m): 8:45am On Jun 18, 2023
Minemrys:

CGI is bad though. But I feel the film would have benefited from having a central villain, hence why RF would have been better.

Tbh I love RF too much to have him wasted on a DCEU film as a mere plot device to help reset the timeline.

I rather he shows up for the first time in DCU.

He is a very good villain with way more potential. A good writer/director will get the best out of him.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Xavier55(m): 10:00am On Jun 18, 2023
BlackManta:

WW84, Birds of Prey, TSS, Black Adam, Shazam 2 and now the Flash too is flopping.

From Cinemacon to fan screenings, WB did their absolute best to lift this movie and yet....there's a chance it will make less money than Black Adam domestically.

Those movies are looking like guaranteed flops no matter how good or bad they may be.

There are some things I love about DCEU. Margot Robbie's Harley, Amanda Waller, Peacemaker, Sasha Calle's Supergirl.

As much as I love these characters and the actors that played them I still believe that there are new actors that can play those roles.

We need to start afresh.

As for the last two DCEU films. If I'm a WB exec I will not spend a single dollar marketing those films.
It's better to just release it like that and pray it breaks even at the box office.

A movie that will flop will flop, and it has nothing to do with whether there is a soft reboot or not.

Wipe the slate clean, and start all over, the films that will flop will still flop, that's the truth. You know why? That's because people are losing interest in DC films, and the only way to rectify that is to consistently progress on the already planned Saga/ story arc irrespective of whether the initial DCU films succeeds or not.

Consistent progress on a saga will create a brand for the franchise, and this in turn builds audience interest and faith in it, which in turn positively affects the franchise and its films. That's the way out. People don't patronise contents, they patronise brands, and a cohesive and progressive franchise creates a brand.

As a matter of fact, DC should expect its first five DCU films to fail, but if irrespective of that they still consistently progress on their outlined saga, the tide will change. But for them to do this, they have to be long term oriented and not short term oriented.

So, hard reboot or soft reboot won't change anything, movies that will flop will flop, as a matter of fact, their first sets of films will flop, but
if they consistently progress in the planned saga, a brand will be establish, and this brand will create interest and faith in the audience, and these in turn will give the DCU the success it yearns for. It takes time, energy, resources, persistency and SACRIFICE to build a franchise. Question is, are Zaslav, Gunn and Safran ready for that?

#Xavier
#DCian

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Xavier55(m): 10:04am On Jun 18, 2023
Hell NO!!!!! 😑😠

1.) She doesn't have the look.
2.) Enough with the racial swapping of characters.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Xavier55(m): 10:05am On Jun 18, 2023
😎😎😎😎😎

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Xavier55(m): 10:29am On Jun 18, 2023
Xavier55:

A movie that will flop will flop, and it has nothing to do with whether there is a soft reboot or not.

Wipe the slate clean, and start all over, the films that will flop will still flop, that's the truth. You know why? That's because people are losing interest in DC films, and the only way to rectify that is to consistently progress on the already planned Saga/ story arc irrespective of whether the initial DCU films succeeds or not.

Consistent progress on a saga will create a brand for the franchise, and this in turn builds audience interest and faith in it, which in turn positively affects the franchise and its films. That's the way out. People don't patronise contents, they patronise brands, and a cohesive and progressive franchise creates a brand.

As a matter of fact, DC should expect its first five DCU films to fail, but if irrespective of that they still consistently progress on their outlined saga, the tide will change. But for them to do this, they have to be long term oriented and not short term oriented.

So, hard reboot or soft reboot won't change anything, movies that will flop will flop, as a matter of fact, their first sets of films will flop, but
if they consistently progress in the planned saga, a brand will be establish, and this brand will create interest and faith in the audience, and these in turn will give the DCU the success it yearns for. It takes time, energy, resources, persistency and SACRIFICE to build a franchise. Question is, are Zaslav, Gunn and Safran ready for that?

#Xavier
#DCian

Cc BlackManta

As a matter of fact, since the DCU first set of films are bound to flop, WB/DC can avoid that by releasing the films on HBO MAX with the intention of establishing their brand first either by enormously progressing in the planned saga or completing the planned saga. When the brand has been created, they can then port back to cinema.

At this point, loses won't be made, franchise brand will be created, HBO MAX gets to make a lots of money, and when the movies goes back to cinema they will make lots of money due to audience interest and faith in the franchise thanks to the brand created.

Personally, if I'm to create a shared universe franchise like the DCU, this is the exact thing I will do.

Streaming platforms are good platforms to build a franchise and its brand without incurring loses. If The Boys and Stranger Things are to be released in cinema, do you know how successful they will be? Their brands have been created with streaming without loses on the part of the studio

That's the part I suggest DC should take, but if they still want to go the cinematic route, no problem, but they should get ready to deal with loses. But in the loses, they should relentlessly press forward in establishing a DCU brand with the consistent progressing on the planned saga. I just hope Zaslav, Gunn and Safran will be that relentless.

#Xavier
#DCian
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by BlackManta(m): 9:33pm On Jun 18, 2023
Xavier55:

Cc BlackManta

As a matter of fact, since the DCU first set of films are bound to flop, WB/DC can avoid that by releasing the films on HBO MAX with the intention of establishing their brand first either by enormously progressing in the planned saga or completing the planned saga. When the brand has been created, they can then port back to cinema.

At this point, loses won't be made, franchise brand will be created, HBO MAX gets to make a lots of money, and when the movies goes back to cinema they will make lots of money due to audience interest and faith in the franchise thanks to the brand created.

Personally, if I'm to create a shared universe franchise like the DCU, this is the exact thing I will do.

Streaming platforms are good platforms to build a franchise and its brand without incurring loses. If The Boys and Stranger Things are to be released in cinema, do you know how successful they will be? Their brands have been created with streaming without loses on the part of the studio

That's the part I suggest DC should take, but if they still want to go the cinematic route, no problem, but they should get ready to deal with loses. But in the loses, they should relentlessly press forward in establishing a DCU brand with the consistent progressing on the planned saga. I just hope Zaslav, Gunn and Safran will be that relentless.

#Xavier
#DCian

I disagree

DC movies belong to the big screens only, none of that streaming bullshit.

Imagine watching iconic characters like Superman and Batman on a streaming platform.

It's gonna set a very bad precedent. Like why anticipate these characters and their stories if you can watch them at home?

One of the reasons The Batman didn't make more money as it should is because the previous WB regime only let it play 45 days in theaters before dumping it on HBO Max.

That's how they wanted to dump Blue Beetle on streaming until Zaslav intervened.

Anybody that wants to see Superman and Batman, Wonder Woman should go to the cinema.
Unless you want to tell a longer story with a TV series like James Gunn wants to do with Lanterns and Paradise Lost.

Apart from that, anything movie, theatre straight on the IMAX and premium screens.

One thing WB must do is stop making $200m DC films.

The first 5 DCU films should get not more than $150m budgets. And these movies have to be GREAT. Not average, not good, GREAT.

That way you can restore the audience faith in DC films in shortest possible time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by BlackManta(m): 9:39pm On Jun 18, 2023
I don't envy James Gunn at all.

No one in Hollywood does.

That man took the hardest job in the world when he accepted to be DC boss.

The stakes are too high.

Right now there's a section of the DC fanbase that are seriously campaigning to get him fired.

He made a lot of enemies when he took the bold move and announced a reboot.

His Superman movie will be litmus test that will impact future DCU films.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by BankyGee(m): 7:24am On Jun 19, 2023
Xavier55:
Yay or nay
Yay, any day, anytime.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by SMUAG(m): 7:53am On Jun 19, 2023
Is it that the company name "Warner Bros" are under spell of never to put their act together even if new execs are brought in... How the hell did they allow such movie with a very bad cgi to be released at this time where the competition is so strong that if your movie is not very solid it will be sandwiched like what is going on with almost all the movies released for the past 1 month.. Why can't they just push The Flash up until they get their vfx team to do a perfect work first.
Aside the cgi, The Flash is a pure mess for me... Like I keep complaining we must not always want to make movie with the intention of "movie must be fun", that notion always take the stake of seriousness away and for me I hate that.
For example like the General Zod's first appearance to the world warning all to disclose the true identity of Kal El or face the consequences. That of The Flash looked like a very big child's play... In Man of Steel you can really feel the tension everywhere, but in The Flash everybody was just going about doing their things without even showing any concern. The G. Zod world engines were just being televised on their stations throughout the end of the 2nd act to the final act like they are up there for tourists to video and snap...
The Flash is 5/10 for me.

1 Like

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by abduleez1(m): 10:43am On Jun 19, 2023
BlackManta:

We need to start afresh.

I solidly support this.

Almost zero goodwill. This Flash performance is overly surprising to me I'm still coming to gripes how it failed to resonate with audiences. It's not as If it's a bad movie.

People I would have loved to keep in the upcoming DCU are Robbie, Amanda, Cena and Sasha Calle, .
The rest should be rebooted. And when I say reboot, with this atomic bomb size of flop the flash is receiving, then James Gunn should just go for a HARD REBOOT.
It's over.

Let's just start afresh and not confuse future audience and totally leave the baggage of the previous regime.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by abduleez1(m): 11:10am On Jun 19, 2023
Xavier55:
Hell NO!!!!! 😑😠

1.) She doesn't have the look.
2.) Enough with the racial swapping of characters.

I'm not even believing this bullshit. James is too versed in comic lore to make this schoolboy error.
After all, Zatanna is one of James Gunn's favourite female characters.

With the way James is going with his universe, I don't even see an actor being looked at or casted before even a writer or director is attached to such project.

The only people being casted or screentested at present are people potentially to be in Superman Legacy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by abduleez1(m): 11:17am On Jun 19, 2023
BlackManta:

Tbh I love RF too much to have him wasted on a DCEU film as a mere plot device to help reset the timeline.

He is a very good villain with way more potential. A good writer/director will get the best out of him.

Na premium waste to use Reverse Flash in a reboot movie of a dead franchise.

Better keep him proper for the DCU.

I just dey use style happy say dem no debut some of my loved and fave characters for this recent DCEU films like Swamp Thing, Etrigan the Demon, Lady Shiva, Circe, Hecate etc.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by abduleez1(m): 11:53am On Jun 19, 2023
Xavier55:

Cc BlackManta

#Xavier
#DCian

I strongly disagree. On this streaming take you're saying, you're deeply wrong or misguided. No offense.

Streaming business makes no money except you're Netflix. ONLY Netflix makes profit in streaming and HBOMax just joined the last quarter with Zaslav's axe to cut it down to size to allow profit making.

Based on research, ALL FILMS that debuted in theatres first performed better than films just dumped in streaming without any theatrical release.
Whether you make loss in theatres or not, the ticket fees still covers some part of costs that streaming doesn't give you.

In fact it's very difficult to calculate the financials streaming only gives you as compared to a theatrical release that you have it's financials at your fingertips.

Streaming works well for aggregate of total content as a whole. Not individual movie or content selling itself to profitability. The backbone of streaming has been TV shows and not really movies. Films are the added bonuses, the sweetener or the flexibility of VOD.

HBOMax and other streaming platforms (asides Netflix) makes losses running in hundreds of millions of dollars annually. You're clearly oblivious of how streaming financials works. It's very different from theatrical and way more complex.

A failed blockbuster movie at the box office will most likely make more money than a streaming exclusive film.

If streaming was printing money like you said David Zaslav won't transfer Blue Beetle from HBOMax exclusive to theatres. Apple won't be signing deals with traditional studios to distribute and première their movies in theatres first. Films wey Apple use over $100mn produce. One of the upcoming films is even $200mn.
Even Amazon that has deep pockets and recently spends money carelessly and have shown the ability to even make money spent by Netflix look like cakewalk are doing theatrical debuts for its films. ie AIR debuted on cinemas.

Streaming barely works for $40mn or less films not proper $80mn to hundreds of millions of dollars tentpole films.

Na only Netflix get that amount of money to dey waste on top one time films.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 4:41pm On Jun 19, 2023
BlackManta:

I agree with you in one way and same time, I also disagree. There are multiple layers to RF and The Flash which can be exploited in different versions. I mean, there are already multiple Lex Luthors on TV and in film.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 4:51pm On Jun 19, 2023
abduleez1:

I just dey use style happy say dem no debut some of my loved and fave characters for this recent DCEU films like Swamp Thing, Etrigan the Demon, Lady Shiva, Circe, Hecate etc.

It was a mistake announcing things too early. Again WB management have made very poor business decisions.
I still maintain they should have found a way to monetize the Snyder verse and give it it's perfect conclusion while slowly building hype for a rebooted universe. They created more damage casting everyone out while knowing there are films yet to be released.

This will place unnecessary pressure on the Gunnverse and trust me if the first 2 projects don't make bank, the whole thing is dead. And bye bye to DC films, hello Harry Potter franchise.

WBD want to make quick money as it is now and recent actions have already made them infamous.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 4:56pm On Jun 19, 2023
abduleez1:

At this point, there's really no guarantee that the DCU will even reach 10 films. And in those 10 films,I doubt certain characters will even show up lol.
WB are always selling itself. If Zaslav doesn't get his profits,there are reports WBD will sell off again.

DC's only hope is for another company to buy them off from Warner Bros. At this stage, it's rinse and repeat.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 5:04pm On Jun 19, 2023
abduleez1:

I'm not even believing this bullshit. James is too versed in comic lore to make this schoolboy error.
After all, Zatanna is one of James Gunn's favourite female characters.

With the way James is going with his universe, I don't even see an actor being looked at or casted before even a writer or director is attached to such project.

The only people being casted or screentested at present are people potentially to be in Superman Legacy.
Nicholas Hoult as Superman? Hmmn, we better have a Superman who isn't a Clark Kent in the cape or a Kal El in glasses. Since Christopher Reeves and Brandon Routh, the recent films have no longer tried to hide Superman's identity. I mean it's ridiculous now when you have Clark standing tall like Superman and have the same voice as Superman.
They should make them different. Supes should have a different accent i.e typical American or British, something different from Clark's.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 5:12pm On Jun 19, 2023
abduleez1:

I solidly support this.

Almost zero goodwill. This Flash performance is overly surprising to me I'm still coming to gripes how it failed to resonate with audiences. It's not as If it's a bad movie.

People I would have loved to keep in the upcoming DCU are Robbie, Amanda, Cena and Sasha Calle, .
The rest should be rebooted. And when I say reboot, with this atomic bomb size of flop the flash is receiving, then James Gunn should just go for a HARD REBOOT.
It's over.

Let's just start afresh and not confuse future audience and totally leave the baggage of the previous regime.
I called this out years back but I was seen as being negative.
They should have just let the DCEU get it's perfect ending before rebooting. The Flash film could have been that. They should have made the JL2 and let The Flash end it all. The 2 films would have fetched them money and Goodwill. now they will be looking to get that from the DCU and The Flash and Shazam 2 have shown movie audiences no longer trust the brand.
Superman Legacy might end up not making the money they're thinking.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 5:21pm On Jun 19, 2023
Xavier55:
I hope Gunn gives details on the "rough memories" as regarding movies, characters and elements in movies. It's very vital. But I know that Aquaman, The Suicide Squad, and Peacemaker will be retained in the DCU. These might be the only movies that will be retained, or there might be others also.

#Xavier
#DCian
Aquaman hasn't done well in test screenings. Don't expect that movie to be retained.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 5:26pm On Jun 19, 2023
Xavier55:
Yay or nay
No one can beat Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor. He played Lex while the others played crazies.
One thing with his Lex is, he was not an evil guy but someone forced to be bad.

1 Like

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by abduleez1(m): 6:13pm On Jun 19, 2023
BlackManta:

I disagree

DC movies belong to the big screens only, none of that streaming bullshit.

Imagine watching iconic characters like Superman and Batman on a streaming platform.

It's gonna set a very bad precedent. Like why anticipate these characters and their stories if you can watch them at home?

One of the reasons The Batman didn't make more money as it should is because the previous WB regime only let it play 45 days in theaters before dumping it on HBO Max.

That's how they wanted to dump Blue Beetle on streaming until Zaslav intervened.

Anybody that wants to see Superman and Batman, Wonder Woman should go to the cinema.
Unless you want to tell a longer story with a TV series like James Gunn wants to do with Lanterns and Paradise Lost.

Apart from that, anything movie, theatre straight on the IMAX and premium screens.

One thing WB must do is stop making $200m DC films.

The first 5 DCU films should get not more than $150m budgets. And these movies have to be GREAT. Not average, not good, GREAT.

That way you can restore the audience faith in DC films in shortest possible time.

Gbamsolutely....

It's funny how Xavier5 thinks streaming has money in it. If a mega traditional studio like WB or Disney put streaming as their primary focus, then they're preparing for disaster.

This is the exact same strategy that AT&T executive David Kilar enacted when he was in charge. What is the outcome today? Billions of dollars in debt and even worse off than when the company (WB) was acquired. Money was also left on the table for top WB blockbuster movies like GvK, TSS etc.

One positive and milestone that Kilar can be honoured of is that due to his strategies, HBOMax grew but it remained a loss making entity.

The only way I'm supporting HBOMax being a major strategy in upcoming projects is for TV shows.
That's why I believe DC TV shows should be given more priority to debut on Max and build hype and interest on DC before the movies starts dropping.

I also agree DC movies and TV shows shouldn't exceed $150mn production cost. Highest na $160mn for the biggest projects.
TV shows to be pegged at $100-120mn.
Look at the beauty that Dennis Villeneuve delivered in Dune part 1 with just $165mn.

This what DC should replicate and limit insane budgets for movies cos I find it difficult understanding how Black Adam cost $260mn to make. We're yet to talk of Aquaman 2 budget. I fear for that film cos the continuous reshoots and all that might make that budget bludgeon past $250mn. Even the new WB heads in Pamela Abdy and Mike De Luca had to call James Wan to reduce his production budget as spending on back then was around $220mn.

Financial responsibility needs to be taught to some of these filmmakers and that's why I'm happy we got Peter Safran cos that's where he excels in being a product from New Line Cinema who are mostly prudent under WB.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by abduleez1(m): 6:46pm On Jun 19, 2023
Minemrys:

At this point, there's really no guarantee that the DCU will even reach 10 films. And in those 10 films,I doubt certain characters will even show up lol.
WB are always selling itself. If Zaslav doesn't get his profits,there are reports WBD will sell off again.

DC's only hope is for another company to buy them off from Warner Bros. At this stage, it's rinse and repeat.

Lol, I always tell you this talk of buying off DC from WB ain't gonna work. WB the way I see it are going to give you their balls for castration first before even thinking of selling off DC to anyone.
You want DC, you buy the total package.

I'm optimistic this time there might be some stability in DC after this phase. WBD sell off is mostly speculation. Even if there's a selloff at play, there's hardly a credible media conglomerate with the money and wherewithal to buy WB presently.
The usual suspects in Paramount (Viacom) and even Universal's parent company Comcast are deep in debt and hardly have that liquidity for a major buyout in the next two years that analysts predicted the WBD sale to happen.

Zaslav seems primed for the long term business. The only other top companies with deep pockets to easily fund a WB buyout are basically Apple and Amazon since both companies stocks are worth over $1.5 trillion individually. Amazon already bought MGM in 2021 and Apple rarely spend big money for acquisitions. Apple biggest acquisition is $3bn for beats electronics.
Anyone looking to buy WB presently would be ready to shell out around $70bn or more.

Even if WB gets sold again by Discovery, the way Zaslav has restructured the company and DC, it's hard for anybody to come and make a U-turn. Cos DC's independence is the way to go. Besides if another company buys off DC, how sure are you that same shit that happened over at WB won't persist.
At least this time it's pretty clear DC has its independence with James and Safran making the overall decisions. DC Studios presently isn't under WB executive authority no more and that's good for the brand. This way the personality of the brand shines through instead of the tussle between creatives at DC and the business minded executives who see DC as a subsidiary of them.

Zaslav's number one priority for theatrical movies under WB is DC. And he has said it many times, he's banking on DC to drive WB's future growth. Of course there's a slight pressure for DC to perform but at least there's optimum care for the franchise as other franchises that could have fetch money are hibernating like Wizarding World, LOTR.

DC is being unbundled, from gaming, comics to movies and TV show. Zaslav almost sold WB Games earlier last year but you can see he's happy he luckily didn't sell it after the massive profits Hogwarts Legacy has brought with its record sales.
That total franchise universe is what the man hopes to achieve with DC.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by abduleez1(m): 7:08pm On Jun 19, 2023
Minemrys:

It was a mistake announcing things too early. Again WB management have made very poor business decisions.
I still maintain they should have found a way to monetize the Snyder verse and give it it's perfect conclusion while slowly building hype for a rebooted universe. They created more damage casting everyone out while knowing there are films yet to be released.

This will place unnecessary pressure on the Gunnverse and trust me if the first 2 projects don't make bank, the whole thing is dead. And bye bye to DC films, hello Harry Potter franchise.

WBD want to make quick money as it is now and recent actions have already made them infamous.

James Gunn universe ain't gonna be killed by just two films underperforming. That I'm very sure of.
Uhm, Harry Potter films ain't even making money in box office in the first place. So WB is still stuck with making DC work.
The upcoming rebooted Harry Potter franchise is a TV series universe not films.

If Zaslav was willing to write off a finished movie like Batgirl that cost $100mn to produce and left Fury of The Gods a $120mn film to die at the cinemas with lack of marketing. I don't see him losing sleep over two films underperforming in upcoming DCU.

If at all anything, the man has proven to be resilient in the face of losses and backlash. And he's stuck to his plans since day one even with detractors.

Everyone was abusing him then when he started his cancellation spree and now look what he's done with HBOMax being the only streamer to join Netflix as a profitable service this 1st quarter.
Disney, Paramount and Universal have all embarked on massive cancellations of shows just not to pay residuals just like Zaslav did and it's not gaining press time like when Zas did it.
Big Zas also began selling off some content he deemed not important enough or brings money to other companies. Batman: Caped Crusader, Madame Xanadu, Dead Boy Detectives have been sold off to Amazon, Netflix, Tubi and co.

Later this year Disney also began same, selling off their own original content. A massive U-turn in which Disney was the one who started the trend to house all their content in one place and started cancelling deals with streaming distributors while preparing for Disney+ debut back then. Big reason they took back Daredevil and co from Netflix.

If anything, that shows me a man that understands his industry or is able to read and set market trends before anyone else. All these simply means Zaslav knows what he's doing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by abduleez1(m): 7:11pm On Jun 19, 2023
Minemrys:

Nicholas Hoult as Superman? Hmmn, we better have a Superman who isn't a Clark Kent in the cape or a Kal El in glasses. Since Christopher Reeves and Brandon Routh, the recent films have no longer tried to hide Superman's identity. I mean it's ridiculous now when you have Clark standing tall like Superman and have the same voice as Superman.
They should make them different. Supes should have a different accent i.e typical American or British, something different from Clark's.

I also don't like Hoult for Superman. He's too broody.
I'd prefer David Corenswet even tho I haven't watched him perform. πŸ™ƒ

Anyways, these castings does have their fans and some people excited by the outcome.
James Gunn has been doing good so far in terms of creatives joining his universe.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Xavier5(m): 7:29pm On Jun 19, 2023
abduleez1:

I strongly disagree. On this streaming take you're saying, you're deeply wrong or misguided. No offense.

Streaming business makes no money except you're Netflix. ONLY Netflix makes profit in streaming and HBOMax just joined the last quarter with Zaslav's axe to cut it down to size to allow profit making.

Based on research, ALL FILMS that debuted in theatres first performed better than films just dumped in streaming without any theatrical release.
Whether you make loss in theatres or not, the ticket fees still covers some part of costs that streaming doesn't give you.

In fact it's very difficult to calculate the financials streaming only gives you as compared to a theatrical release that you have it's financials at your fingertips.

Streaming works well for aggregate of total content as a whole. Not individual movie or content selling itself to profitability. The backbone of streaming has been TV shows and not really movies. Films are the added bonuses, the sweetener or the flexibility of VOD.

HBOMax and other streaming platforms (asides Netflix) makes losses running in hundreds of millions of dollars annually. You're clearly oblivious of how streaming financials works. It's very different from theatrical and way more complex.

A failed blockbuster movie at the box office will most likely make more money than a streaming exclusive film.

If streaming was printing money like you said David Zaslav won't transfer Blue Beetle from HBOMax exclusive to theatres. Apple won't be signing deals with traditional studios to distribute and première their movies in theatres first. Films wey Apple use over $100mn produce. One of the upcoming films is even $200mn.
Even Amazon that has deep pockets and recently spends money carelessly and have shown the ability to even make money spent by Netflix look like cakewalk are doing theatrical debuts for its films. ie AIR debuted on cinemas.

Streaming barely works for $40mn or less films not proper $80mn to hundreds of millions of dollars tentpole films.

Na only Netflix get that amount of money to dey waste on top one time films.

First of all, we are talking about building a franchise, and the streaming platform is the best platform to do that due to not incurring unne the loses unlike cinema. With steaming you don't bother about box office performance, but rather streaming views, critical reception and overall annual streaming revenue, and guess what, DCU films on HBO MAX will definitely get the streaming views, and not only that, they will also skyrocket the subscribers numbers which equates to exponential streaming revenue, especially annual. With this, you find out that annually, the studio ends up making lots of money compare to the loses they would have made.

But we should not forget why the movies are on HBO MAX. They are there to build a brand for the franchise through enormous progress on the planned saga or completion of the planned saga. When the brand has been built, they transition back to cinema. DCU films on HBO MAX is to create a franchise brand without incurring loses for the studio since the studio will make back the money and profit from streaming revenues (annual)

Secondly, the issue here is you not acknowledging the differences in streaming revenue model and that of cinema. Streaming doesn't go with the distinct film revenue model like cinema, rather it goes with collective annual revenue.
And guess what, the distinct film revenues all boil down to the collective annual revenue at the end of the year, and if that's the case, what's the obsession with the money each movie made when everything boils down to the studio's annual revenue.

What matters is what the studio makes at the end of the year and not what each films made. In 2022, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+ made tens of billions of dollars from their annual streaming revenues, how many studios made that level of revenue with distinct box office revenues? None.

See, it's not about what each films made, it is about what the studio made. Streaming does not give you distinct film revenues but collective annual revenues, and that's what matters since the various distinct box office revenues all boils down to the collective annual revenue. Of what is are the distinct box office revenue if at the end of the annual report, it amounts to nothing.

Thirdly, talking about profitablity, streaming mode of calculating profitablity is different from cinema. Cinema does it own at distinct film levels, while streaming does it own collectively. Streaming is always collective annual revenue minus collective annual budget. And if the platform has high subscribers, definitely it profit will be high.
Talking about profit and subscribers, as earlier stated, DCU films on HBO MAX will pull audience that didn't want to go to cinema (thanks to streaming being economical; monthly subscription to see the film and other films unlike Cinema). This in turn will increase HBO MAX subscribers which equates to high streaming revenues and then, good collective annual profit.

So yes, DCU movies on HBO MAX for the limited period of building the franchise brand will do the franchise and WBD good. When the franchise brand has been created, DCU movies goes back to cinema.

I know this is alien to you, it hasn't been done, but that's the way for WBD to avoid unnecessary loses.

#Xavier
#DCian

(1) (2) (3) ... (1527) (1528) (1529) (1530) (1531) (1532) (1533) ... (1549) (Reply)

Zee World Movies And Soaps Official Fan Page / What Sites Can You Download Series For Free? / Big Brother Naija β€œAll Starsβ€œ 2023: Live Updates Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.