Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,132 members, 7,943,081 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 03:38 AM

Functionality Of Igbo Chiefs - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Functionality Of Igbo Chiefs (1209 Views)

Anambra Man's Corpse Abandoned In Taraba For Not Being Member Of Igbo Union (Pic / A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu" / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Functionality Of Igbo Chiefs by 50Cal: 10:03pm On Apr 18, 2015
This is to my Igbo homies out there.
Just out of curiosity is the leadership functionality of Igbo chiefs defined or is the title strictly a recognition. I guess the best way is to focus on one element of the leadership which is jurisdiction. Fellow Nairalanders help me to elaborate if Igbo chiefs have a defined extent of persons or places to which they can administer their influence, control, regulations, e.t.c. It is an area that has piques peoples curiosity as there has been an increasing amount of Igbo chiefs who reside in the USA and UK.

- 50Cal.
Re: Functionality Of Igbo Chiefs by Nobody: 10:06pm On Apr 18, 2015
grin S. A Akintola understood the Igbo very well...read about his utterances about them.

That been said....to destroy any gathering of Igbo ask them to go and choose a leader and the deputy among themselves! VoilĂ  you've succeeded in ruining them totally!
Re: Functionality Of Igbo Chiefs by Nobody: 10:19pm On Apr 18, 2015
Akintola said of Mbadiwe ... To ba di iwe nka o
Re: Functionality Of Igbo Chiefs by Nobody: 12:10am On Apr 19, 2015
Getting a chieftaincy title in Igbo land is no big deal. Make a lot of money, go to your home town, lobby for a chieftaincy title and you get it.

There are people who cannot win election in their umunna,village,town or women organisation but parade themselves as chiefs and Igbo leaders in Lagos and Abuja after paying some monies to political parties and for federal appointments.

Leadership has always been a big problem among the Igbos to start with and I think the most accepted leadership setting is the umunna gathering.

So to be honest, those chiefs have no function,jurisdictions etc.
Re: Functionality Of Igbo Chiefs by 50Cal: 10:59pm On Apr 19, 2015
it does put some perspective on the whole red hat chief. you have to wonder if it has always been like that.

Joavid:
Getting a chieftaincy title in Igbo land is no big deal. Make a lot of money, go to your home town, lobby for a chieftaincy title and you get it.

There are people who cannot win election in their umunna,village,town or women organisation but parade themselves as chiefs and Igbo leaders in Lagos and Abuja after paying some monies to political parties and for federal appointments.

Leadership has always been a big problem among the Igbos to start with and I think the most accepted leadership setting is the umunna gathering.

So to be honest, those chiefs have no function,jurisdictions etc.
Re: Functionality Of Igbo Chiefs by Humulity: 1:34pm On Apr 20, 2015
As somebody stated here people with access to wealth can lobby and get chieftancy title, which is different from being a traditional ruler. Lobbying for chieftancy title or position is not peculiar to the Igbo's, it's global. If you are talking about Igwe, Obi, Eze, Onowu, Okpala, Ogbataonuba, then I tell you they are as influential as any king in his domain. With exception of the "autonomous Eze/Igwe" you see in Imo state and parts of Abia and Enugu.

(1) (Reply)

100 Umu Okwu Azumahia Di Mkpa Sugharia N'igbo / Sodomy Destroys The Bloodline, Sodomy Causes Aids / Igbo Traditional Marriage: Everything You Need To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.