Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,369 members, 7,910,865 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 06:39 PM

Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion (17847 Views)

Some Lagosians Park Their Cars At Shopping Malls Like These / Woman's Leg Smashed In Delta By A Hit & Run Driver / Two Die As Car Rams Into A Tree And Breaks To Pieces (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by Ogadtop(m): 10:29pm On May 01, 2015
stephenponti:

If the mall insinuet "it's an act of God" as someone said before what next?
yes na! an act of God for the shopping mall to incure debt monday morning.make dem pay ni ooo
Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by Civilgeneral(m): 10:29pm On May 01, 2015
lonelydora:
I think the owner bears the cost because it is always written "car parked at owners risk"
the car is directed by security agents. Therefore, the park owner.
Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by Atmmachine(m): 10:32pm On May 01, 2015
The insurance company of course.
Here in America, Hail-storms do damage people's car & the insurance company pays for everything.
Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by xtervaganza(m): 10:33pm On May 01, 2015
stephenponti:
A car was properly parked as directed by security men at a mall (paid parking)
A tree which appeared lively but with rotten root collapsed and fell on the car creating enormous damage.

My question now is who is likely going to bear the loss,

1. The insurance company of the car,
2. The owner of the car park,
3. The insurance company of the parking lot. (if the business is insured or,
4. The car owner

What's your legal opinion on this. I had a hard time trying to figure out the fate of the car pictured below. (happened today)
be it a paid car park or not, cars are parked at owners risk

simple

1 Like

Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by Nobody: 10:57pm On May 01, 2015
grin
Ringtail:
no just sack them and appoint new ones, beacause this is the time of sack and appoint.
Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by arsenal33: 10:59pm On May 01, 2015
It was at Adeniran ogunsanya shopping centre.
Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by Eniqurl(f): 11:03pm On May 01, 2015
OKAY
Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by petkoffDrake(m): 11:08pm On May 01, 2015
Gej or Buhari Should pay! If they had built car park, that wouldn't hav happened
Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by Kisses4rmDxtanx: 11:09pm On May 01, 2015
It depends on d car owner nd his lawyer if he has one.
Thank God no life lost
Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by chukzzy1(m): 11:31pm On May 01, 2015
lonelydora:

If it's a paid parking, then the people should bear the cost. Get a good lawyer and you are good to go.
lol it's an "act of God"...liablity rests on the owner
Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by stephenponti(m): 11:47pm On May 01, 2015
MadCow1:

Mens rea and actus rae are not important in this matter and only holds for murder cases..

A car park that collects money for people to park in it had a case to answer. In as much as there was no specific agreement as to what the money paid covers, the owner can argue that he felt they offered full protection for his car..

Now note, the contract or agreement of services provided by the car park can range between or a combination of the following:

1. Rent.. This covers just hosting the vehicle for a set period. Meaning though the vehicle is on their property, they still are not liable for its safety.

2. SAFETY.. This normally covers protection from theft, vandalism and tamper.

Or both.

Now if it is found that the tree was diseased and should have been cut down long before now, then the park operators are responsible.

The car park has a responsibility to provide a safe parking zone for its client.

Act of God situation does not apply here except it can be proven that a hurricane blew the tree down or that a typhoon passed the area and destroyed the tree..

Unless that tree was from someone else's property, the Business owner is responsible. It's not different to a case of if the tank stand inside the compound falls on a car..
You sounds more factual I guess.

1 Like

Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by dapsonlou(m): 12:26am On May 02, 2015
The owner of the lot should bear the cost, because the business should be insured against damages and theft

1 Like

Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by lusciouslex: 12:48am On May 02, 2015
mulante:
The administrators of the car park.

The risk here could have been anticipated, it would have been a different scenario if a plane engine dropped from the sky and destroyed the car. A car park is not a garden where trees should be left to grow. It could cause damage to the cars by either fallen branches or as it happened above. They could also contribute nuisance through bird droppings and by shedding leaves.

Again, they charge a fee so that you can be assured of the safety and security of your car. The enjoyment of that fee comes with certain consequences, of which this is one.
Seconded! You've lawyered this case accordingly. Believe me, if that car was mine, I'll appropriately channel my energy in the right direction for it to be replaced(not repaired) sooner rather than later. What nonsense!!!

1 Like

Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by linearity: 12:49am On May 02, 2015
abatically:
Act of God. The car owner bears the cost.

Not so fast, since the root is rotten, if that be proven as such and the car owner knew about it but failed to take care f it, then it is negligence on his/her part and as such will be liabled.
Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by abatically(m): 1:13am On May 02, 2015
abbsal:
That's a natural disaster....d insurance company dat insured d car will responsible ...

Insurance don't cover natural disaster.
Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by abatically(m): 1:52am On May 02, 2015
linearity:

Not so fast, since the root is rotten, if that be proven as such and the car owner knew about it but failed to take care f it, then it is negligence on his/her part and as such will be liabled.

The original poster said tree appears to be lively with rotten roots. How do u know a root is rotten since u can't see it from the outside. Whichever way, like I said it is act of God if it happens naturally and insurance will not take care of it. If the owner knew the root was rotten and still packed there, it is his negligence, either way the owner still bears the cost.
Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by abatically(m): 2:04am On May 02, 2015
matrixme:
The car owner probably didn't pray well before he left home that morning. This is a metaphysical scenario. How do you explain this to the insurance company?
#DeliverUsFromEvil

That's whst u think? OK let me reason like u. Whst if God used the incident to prevent the owner from going to where he wanted to go with the car, maybe there was a bigger disaster or even death waiting for him there. U still think he didn't pray well or it was his prayer that was actually working.

2 Likes

Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by Wilosky(m): 6:26am On May 02, 2015
This is a natural disaster. You don't expect the park owners to pay. So long as it is not a car theft.
Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by abbsal(m): 6:39am On May 02, 2015
abatically:

Insurance don't cover natural disaster.
Why not?....insurance covers natural disaster....let me tell u my personal experience..an electronics warehouse was affected by flood,the insurance company paid for d damages and auction the affected products...so I guess it should be d same.
Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by Babs015(m): 7:27am On May 02, 2015
If the car is parked at owner's risk then he is on his own ooo.....else the management bears it.... Better for him if the car is insured
Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by Totino: 8:28am On May 02, 2015
Actually, the 'parking' company owner re to bear the cost because 1, by collecting money from a customer (car owner) they've agreed to secure d car from REASONABLE FORSEEABLE DAMAGE(S) and theft.
On d other hand, if d case is taken to court, d parking company can claim an ACT OF GOD because no reasonable person would av foreseen d falling of d tree thereby making both party liable for d damage.
Finally, it depend on aw reasonable the lawyer is and aw gud wit words.
Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by Wizkoko(m): 9:01am On May 02, 2015
they must pay the owner because cars are not parked at owners risk.

1 Like

Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by adaweezy(m): 11:54am On May 02, 2015
literarymathy:

The usage of the term is solely to evince a sense of thought or premeditation. I know the term is more homelier in Criminal Law.
It is not used in a tort case
Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by Kay17: 1:43pm On May 02, 2015
Totino:
Actually, the 'parking' company owner re to bear the cost because 1, by collecting money from a customer (car owner) they've agreed to secure d car from REASONABLE FORSEEABLE DAMAGE(S) and theft.
On d other hand, if d case is taken to court, d parking company can claim an ACT OF GOD because no reasonable person would av foreseen d falling of d tree thereby making both party liable for d damage.
Finally, it depend on aw reasonable the lawyer is and aw gud wit words.

Probably the blind reasonable person would not 'see' the possibility of a tree in a car park damaging a car. There is always the likelihood of parts of a tree and the tree itself damaging a car. So it is foreseeable.

1 Like

Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by precisionindepth: 10:31pm On May 02, 2015
stephenponti:
A car was properly parked as directed by security men at a mall (paid parking)
A tree which appeared lively but with rotten root collapsed and fell on the car creating enormous damage.

My question now is who is likely going to bear the loss,

1. The insurance company of the car,
2. The owner of the car park,
3. The insurance company of the parking lot. (if the business is insured or,
4. The car owner

What's your legal opinion on this. I had a hard time trying to figure out the fate of the car pictured below. (happened today)
definitely the tree...from it root to the last leave on it shd b made to pay for damages

1 Like

Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by Totino: 9:50am On May 25, 2015
Kay17:

Probably the blind reasonable person would not 'see' the possibility of a tree in a car park damaging a car. There is always the likelihood of parts of a tree and the tree itself damaging a car. So it is foreseeable.

Aw can u foresee dat a tree will fall when it shows no sign of defect from its root? Mr, both parties re to share d blame.... The supermarket and the parking company!
Re: Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion by Emekayoung(m): 1:17pm On Jan 26, 2017
mulante:
The administrators of the car park.

The risk here could have been anticipated, it would have been a different scenario if a plane engine dropped from the sky and destroyed the car. A car park is not a garden where trees should be left to grow. It could cause damage to the cars by either fallen branches or as it happened above. They could also contribute nuisance through bird droppings and by shedding leaves.

Again, they charge a fee so that you can be assured of the safety and security of your car. The enjoyment of that fee comes with certain consequences, of which this is one.
Bros u get brain die. Will u be my lecturer? I need to learn alot of things from u. All u have written here has already answered the questions above? Nothing more or less.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive / Stallion Group Opens Tricycle Manufacturing Plant In Delta / Confused Donkey Chews Carrot-colored Mclaren

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.