Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,129 members, 7,880,535 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 08:22 PM

Ukwuani People Are Not Igbos. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ukwuani People Are Not Igbos. (8184 Views)

Are Ukwuani People Of Delta State Igbos? / The Relationship Between The Isoko And Ndiigbo( Ukwuani-anioma). / Check Out How Ondo People Are Appeasing The Gods For The Epidemic Disease (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ukwuani People Are Not Igbos. by olisaokere(m): 10:50pm On Jun 20, 2015
mumbasa:
Ukwuani is not a dialect and it is not Igbo. It’s an ethnic group it’s a language that is linguistically similar to Igbo language.

Something makes Umu- igbo sees themselves as always superior. Igbo, Ukwuani, Ekpeye, Ogba & Ikwerre are familiar tribes. Let everyone respect each other instead of claiming the territories of one another. The greediest among these tribes is Igbo.

All over the world we have distinct tribes with similar language and no one claims that the other person is answering his name so he must be Igbo.

Spanish and Portuguese – they both answer names like Diego, Jose, Fernando but the Portuguese man doesn’t wake up to tell the Spanish man that you are answering my name and you are Portuguese.

When a Portuguese man answers Rodriguez it’s a portugese name similarly when a Spanish man answers Rodriguez it becomes a Spanish name.

NO ONE OWNS THE NAME.

Uhrobo and Isoko – They both answer names like Afoke, Oghene.

Bini, Esan, Etsako – They are also different languages. I don’t mean dialects

Eleme and Ogoni – Some similar names but again different language and no one claims the other.

Ukwuani ,Ikwerre, Ekpeye, Ogba, and Igbo language – Big problem because the Igbo’s say we are answering their names but let me point out that if an Igbo man answers Chukwu it’s an Igbo name, If an Ukwuani man answers Chukwu it becomes an Ukwuani name similarly when an ikwerre man answers Chukwu its now an Ikwerre name.

Itsekiri and Yoruba language – they also have same problems with Yoruba’s but let them speak for themselves.

Ụkwụànì (sometimes spelled Ụkwànì) are a distinct ethnic group of people located in the heart of Delta State in the Delta North Senatorial District they occupy three local governments in Delta state and some of them bleed into Rivers state. They are closely related to the Ndoni people found in Rivers states in Nigeria.

They didn’t say they are not Igbo’s because someone drew a map and that placed them in Delta State. Remember that before the war they were all in one state with; Igbo’s , Ikwerres , Ijaw’s and Itshekiri’s called eastern region but they supported the Nigerian cause during the civil war and do not in any way consider themselves to be of the Igbo stock. Ụkwụànì language has 88% resemblance with dialects of Aboh and Ndoni.

When an Ikwerre, Ekpeye or Ukwuani man tells you that he is not Igbo it doesn’t mean that there is anything wrong with the Igbo’s or it’s a bad thing to be Igbo but don’t just use your ignorance to discard my identity and give me yours. There are many very intelligent, successful, rich talented Igbo’s spread all over the world so you can see that there is nothing wrong with the Igbo’s.

JUST DON’T DISCARD MY IDENTITY – Maybe the Itsekiris and some people in parts of Kogi and Kwara feel same because I have heard many of them say I am not Yoruba and the Yoruba man says your name is Tunde how can you say you are not Yoruba.

Shatap!
Re: Ukwuani People Are Not Igbos. by Afam4eva(m): 3:42pm On Jun 21, 2015
mumbasa:
Ukwuani is not a dialect and it is not Igbo. It’s an ethnic group it’s a language that is linguistically similar to Igbo language.

Something makes Umu- igbo sees themselves as always superior. Igbo, Ukwuani, Ekpeye, Ogba & Ikwerre are familiar tribes. Let everyone respect each other instead of claiming the territories of one another. The greediest among these tribes is Igbo.

All over the world we have distinct tribes with similar language and no one claims that the other person is answering his name so he must be Igbo.

Spanish and Portuguese – they both answer names like Diego, Jose, Fernando but the Portuguese man doesn’t wake up to tell the Spanish man that you are answering my name and you are Portuguese.

When a Portuguese man answers Rodriguez it’s a portugese name similarly when a Spanish man answers Rodriguez it becomes a Spanish name.

NO ONE OWNS THE NAME.

Eleme and Ogoni – Some similar names but again different language and no one claims the other.

Ukwuani ,Ikwerre, Ekpeye, Ogba, and Igbo language – Big problem because the Igbo’s say we are answering their names but let me point out that if an Igbo man answers Chukwu it’s an Igbo name, If an Ukwuani man answers Chukwu it becomes an Ukwuani name similarly when an ikwerre man answers Chukwu its now an Ikwerre name.

Itsekiri and Yoruba language – they also have same problems with Yoruba’s but let them speak for themselves.

Ụkwụànì (sometimes spelled Ụkwànì) are a distinct ethnic group of people located in the heart of Delta State in the Delta North Senatorial District they occupy three local governments in Delta state and some of them bleed into Rivers state. They are closely related to the Ndoni people found in Rivers states in Nigeria.

They didn’t say they are not Igbo’s because someone drew a map and that placed them in Delta State. Remember that before the war they were all in one state with; Igbo’s , Ikwerres , Ijaw’s and Itshekiri’s called eastern region but they supported the Nigerian cause during the civil war and do not in any way consider themselves to be of the Igbo stock. Ụkwụànì language has 88% resemblance with dialects of Aboh and Ndoni.

When an Ikwerre, Ekpeye or Ukwuani man tells you that he is not Igbo it doesn’t mean that there is anything wrong with the Igbo’s or it’s a bad thing to be Igbo but don’t just use your ignorance to discard my identity and give me yours. There are many very intelligent, successful, rich talented Igbo’s spread all over the world so you can see that there is nothing wrong with the Igbo’s.

JUST DON’T DISCARD MY IDENTITY – Maybe the Itsekiris and some people in parts of Kogi and Kwara feel same because I have heard many of them say I am not Yoruba and the Yoruba man says your name is Tunde how can you say you are not Yoruba.
You made some valid points and also goofed on a loot of assertions that you made. if there is one thing that i have noticed, it is that arguments on both sides are usually riddled with half truths with no atom of objectivity whatsoever.

When juxtaposing the Igbo/Ukwuani position with another example, it is best you use examples that are very similar with the one you are trying to compare it with. For instance, despite the fact that you have a point with the Spanish/Portugese example, you have to understand that these are nations (not necessarily countries in this context). What i mean is that there is a very strong awareness on both sides, so despite the glaring similarities between them, none will accept to be referred as the other, coupled with the fact that they're a nation of similar size unlike Igbo and Ukwuani.

Your Urhobo/Isoko example is also not solid because, despite the fact that they are known by different names, they are more times than not, being referred together as Urhobo/Isoko just like Efik/Ibibio just to highlight the similarities between them or the fact that they are the same people seperated by dialects.

I also think you need an education because never a time was Ukwuani part of the eastern region. Ukwuani which was part of old Bendel state have always been in the western region before the mid west was created and subsequently Bendel state. So, there is no way Ukwuani would have fought on the side of Biafra considering that Biafra was a fight for the old eastern region consisting of not just Igbos, to break away from Nigeria. As a matter of fact some Eastern Igbos fought on the side of Nigeria, so don't make it a point that because you fought for Nigeria, it makes you non-Igbo because the war was not between Igbo and Nigeria.

The Elemi and Ogoni example also falls flat as Eleme has always been classified as ogoni and despite the fact that we have your likes in Eleme who deny their Ogoni heritage, there's no tribe called Eleme in Nigeria. Ogoni is made of of Khana, Gokhana, Tai and Eleme and even the scolarship instituted by Ken Saro Wiwa for Ogoni people is being enjoyed by a lot of Eleme people.

Also, rarely do you find a Yoruboid person from Kogi or Kwara tell you that they're not Yoruba. Only a handful of them, mostly from Ilorin will tell you that but the consensus has always been that they are Yorubas unlike you folks that have made a name for yourself by saying you're not Igbo. I don't blame you, i blame some Igbos that have contributed to giving your likes relevance on this forum.

I also find it strange that whenever you want to highlight the tribal differences, you always tend to lump Igbos into one basket. When are you people going to educate yourselves on this issue. Igbos are not homogenous like you people think. We all have dialects and traditions that are not practiced by every part of Igboland. You made mention of Ukwuani not having kings. Who told you Igbos had kings? The whole royal ish is a new invention.

My final submission is that you are not Igbo and shouldn't be treated as such. I believe that people should be called what they want to be called. I don't know why someone will spend time trying to convert someone to be Igbo. I would be wary of someone who wasn't Igbo before and suddenly becomes Igbo. Such a person cannot be trusted. Let's stick to people who say they are Igbos and leave these folks to be who they wanna be.

8 Likes

Re: Ukwuani People Are Not Igbos. by Noneroone(m): 8:15pm On Jun 21, 2015
mumbasa:

NO ONE OWNS THE NAME.

i put it to you that you are another yoloba pig who is terminally sick with igbophobia.
Anyway that is for those who dont know.
Re: Ukwuani People Are Not Igbos. by SpicyJosBabe(f): 9:07am On Jul 02, 2015
ChristyG:
itsekiris are NOT yoruba but they are yoruba people in kwara and kogi(and they dont deny it).probably dose u met are itsekiris who said they are not yorubas(which is true)but dont speak for kwara and kogi.the case of ukwani is totally different from kwara and kogi

Okun ppl from Kogi agree that they are yorubas, but not all. I have met some of them who will tell u that they are Kabba or Okun by tribe and not yoruba.

That of Kwara is d worst. Many Ilorin people do not agree to be called Yorubas. Only Kwara south people have no problem.of being yorubas. But Kwara central have strong identity crisis.

2 Likes

Re: Ukwuani People Are Not Igbos. by uckennety(m): 1:17am On Mar 18, 2016
mumbasa:

Simple English you no fit speak. The native Ukwuani villages don't have Kings, Eze or Igwe. Its just of recent that they are trying to integrate it and put up someone so they can receive money from the Government like traditional rulers do in other parts of Nigeria. Its just another Proof that the Ukwuanis are not Igbos we have no Kings. Only in UtaGbaOgbe were Ukwuani people worldwide
began to spread from do we have a historical ruler who is usually coronated by the OBA of Benin
Dts better igbo eweghi ezehh!ibo v no king
Re: Ukwuani People Are Not Igbos. by clefstone(m): 2:13pm On Apr 28, 2017
tonychristopher:
UNA NO DEY TIRE, THE ONLY TIME PEOPLE WILL TAKE U SERIOUS IS WHEN THE EZE OF UKWUANI SAYS THEY ARE NOT IGBO, AND EZE ARE CUSTODIAN OF CULTURE AND TRADITION. FOR NOW NON OF THE EZE IN IKWERRE OR UKWUANI HAS SAID THEY ARE NOT IGBO EVEN IKA NOW CAN YOU GO AND SMOKE SOME UKWUANI WEED FOR RECREATION

IT WILL DO U A LOT OF GOOD COS YOUR BRAIN NEEDS CALLIBERATION
there is no Eze in Ukwuani land
Re: Ukwuani People Are Not Igbos. by chijiblaze(m): 6:34am On Apr 30, 2017
mumbasa:

.... The native Ukwuani villages don't have Kings, Eze or Igwe. ....

..... Only in UtaGbaOgbe .... do we have a historical ruler who is usually coronated by the OBA of Benin

Now what's this supposed to mean?
Do you have Kings or don't you?

Now do Igbo people have kings?
Ever heard the statement: "Igbo enweghi Ézè?"

mumbasa:

Simple English you no fit speak.... Only in UtaGbaOgbe were Ukwuani people worldwide began to spread from do we have a historical ruler ....

Pot....Kettle..black!
Re: Ukwuani People Are Not Igbos. by mangood74: 9:00pm On Apr 30, 2017
what is the meaning of UKWU and ANI
STOP SPEAKING MY LAUNGAGE PLEASE
Re: Ukwuani People Are Not Igbos. by Jaybeee1: 3:29pm On Jun 09, 2020
Stop fooling urself sir,if they say they aren't Igbo,of which they aren't, why not just let them be?why force your identity on a distinct people
Re: Ukwuani People Are Not Igbos. by Chibossboi(m): 9:04am On Jun 10, 2020
mumbasa:

NO ONE OWNS THE NAME.

JUST DON’T DISCARD MY IDENTITY
Oga mumbasa,
Pls speaker for yourselve or your family.
My family would be mad mad,if you say this in their front.
I am an ukwuani man and proudly an igbo man.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Ethnicity Has The Richest And Most Beautiful Culture In Nigeria? / The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate / Was Prostitution Part of Our Culture during The Precolonial Period?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.