Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,759 members, 7,875,913 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 01:37 AM

Principles Of Great Coding - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Principles Of Great Coding (7033 Views)

Code Challenge [1]: Pseudo-code, C#, JAVA (apply Object Oriented Principles) / What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Principles Of Great Coding by fatezy(m): 1:05pm On Feb 13, 2009
I've heard database application, client-server application & client applications, can any1 pls tell me d diff? Also what type of application would u say is best for a supermarket?
Re: Principles Of Great Coding by nitation(m): 2:02pm On Feb 13, 2009
@ Fatezy

Database application as the implies, is simply a storage based application development in a lay man understanding. It's an application (program) that requires database driven implementation. Examples of database are: MYSQL, Oracle, MSSQL, etc. Source: My brain

Client-Server application: The client-server software architecture model distinguishes client systems from server systems, which communicate over a computer network. A client-server application is a distributed system comprising both client and server software. A client software process may initiate a communication session, while the server waits for requests from any client. source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client-server

About your supermarket question, it depends on what you trying to achieve. Dynamic outputs or static output.

Regards

My 2 cent
Re: Principles Of Great Coding by fatezy(m): 2:35pm On Feb 13, 2009
@nitation,
thanks a lot. d output would be dynamic & its function is to record sales & supplies, keep track of stock & produce reports. I'm thinkin of database windows application with d back end being sql server & front end designed usin VB.NET.
Re: Principles Of Great Coding by fatezy(m): 2:38pm On Feb 13, 2009
@nitation,
thanks a lot. d output would be dynamic & its function is to record sales & supplies, keep track of stock & produce reports. I'm thinkin of database windows application with d back end being sql server & front end designed usin VB.NET.
Re: Principles Of Great Coding by nitation(m): 3:43pm On Feb 13, 2009
Like I said earlier, what you trying to achieve is the most important factor. I can comfortably develop the same thing as a web based application.

Start with something and post your code when you are stuck.

Later
Re: Principles Of Great Coding by Nobody: 9:44pm On Feb 13, 2009
I need to reinterprete_cast to server_side (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-233940.0.html#msg3467290). Anyway, nice posts guys.
Re: Principles Of Great Coding by oludimuni: 12:02pm On Feb 26, 2009
@nitation You are really doing a great work on this thread.
Re: Principles Of Great Coding by Kobojunkie: 10:06pm On Feb 26, 2009
fatezy:

I've heard database application, client-server application & client applications, can any1 pls tell me d diff? Also what type of application would u say is best for a supermarket?

Your choice of architecture should really depend on what you need your application to do and what your system can handle.
Re: Principles Of Great Coding by nitation(m): 11:21am On Feb 27, 2009
Thanks olu
Re: Principles Of Great Coding by lekside44(m): 9:35am On Mar 09, 2009
can anybody tell me how to get basic, fortran and c++ compilers, i want to start running codes. my email is lekside44@yahoo.co.uk thanks for the help
Re: Principles Of Great Coding by nitation(m): 9:22pm On Mar 09, 2009
for c++ compiler, You can download Visual Studio or borland C++

- nitation
Re: Principles Of Great Coding by jacob05(m): 11:00pm On Mar 09, 2009
CodeBlocks The Best
Re: Principles Of Great Coding by fatezy(m): 12:18am On Mar 16, 2009
I'll just like to know au much of d theories i'm being taught is actually worth it:
1. Au much strictness do programmers pay to s/w lifecycle
2. Au come maintenance cost of a s/w is as much as building cost
3. Do programmers actually use uml? and what stage is it used and
4. Just out of curiosity au do d pros charge.
I'll like if these could be answered. Thanks
Re: Principles Of Great Coding by nitation(m): 10:46pm On Mar 17, 2009
@jacob05

kindly prove it

- nitation
Re: Principles Of Great Coding by Frizy(m): 9:54pm On Mar 18, 2009
1) Draw a flowchart or write an algorithm for the problem following the requirement

2) Use a top down approach to break down the program into modules

3)Use data abstractions whenever necessary

4) Create functions/classes to reduce ambigity

5) Use efficient iterative selections or loops. (This would save your compiler time for codes that you write that could take years to compile)

6) Comment and use meaningful variables/classes/function name e.t.c
Re: Principles Of Great Coding by Frizy(m): 10:03pm On Mar 18, 2009
@yawa-ti-de -- Nice, I love you points.

Guys, i have this habit of writing complex code, I mean if something should be done in 10 lines, i try to write it in just 2 or 3 lines, using complex constructs but with great indentation and insightful variable names. Is this really a bad code habit ?

Some enlightement pls

What you need to know is that programmers are often paid by the total number of lines of code that is useful in the program. Write short lines of code is good if you practise abstraction, but by writing complex construct that may not be understandable is not advisable because it would be hard to debug, and only you may be the one who understands the code. You have to make it flexible and more readable, I don't mean going to every detail you can avoid with function calls BUT a step by step process to end your program.

Even in college if you write complex constructs, your professors wont advise it.
Re: Principles Of Great Coding by 7eleven: 10:15pm On Mar 26, 2009
Always back up your work! If ur sys crashes u will nearly have a nervous break down.
Happened to me once. I never recovered fully. cry

http://buzz.6te.net

Re: Principles Of Great Coding by lekside44(m): 4:10pm On May 15, 2009
what are the great coding available out there?
Re: Principles Of Great Coding by Nobody: 4:53pm On May 15, 2009
Think Object oriented
Think abstract
Re: Principles Of Great Coding by Ghenghis(m): 9:01pm On May 18, 2009
Loosely coupled !
Re: Principles Of Great Coding by bobjr: 9:43pm On Feb 28, 2011
Hello all, I just joined this forum
hopefully I can add insight
Re: Principles Of Great Coding by kodewrita(m): 8:45am On Dec 12, 2011
Posted to bring thread back to life.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ruby On Rails Developers In Nigeria / Machine Learning/data Science/analytics / Why Software/web/mobile Application Projects Fail In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.