Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,299 members, 7,887,888 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 03:49 PM

Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture (3950 Views)

Buhari Not To Blame On Nigeria’s Economic Woes – Abdulmumin Jibrin Tells Dino / Vanguard Twisted Niger-delta Avengers Threat To Implicitly Blame On SE/Igbo / Blame Buhari, Shettima, Lai Mohammed If Chibok Girls Are Not Found — PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by mikron(m): 2:58am On Apr 26, 2015
Some people around the world practice body modifications that will put punks to shame. Even though many of these rituals seem extremely painful to us, they carry a strong meaning in some countries. here are a few of such body modifications practiced in most part of Africa and beyond, Enjoy.

1. Facial scarification

Men of the Dinka tribe in South Sudan scar their faces with three lines across the forehead. It is a sign of courage. This practice marks the transition to manhood.

Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by mikron(m): 3:00am On Apr 26, 2015
2. Body scarification

Sepik River tribes in Papua, New Guinea practice scarification as part of an initiation ceremony for men. The elders use razor blades to cut the young men in a pattern that looks like the rough skin of an alligator.

Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by mikron(m): 3:02am On Apr 26, 2015
3. Wooden Plugs

The Apatani tribe resides in the Ziro valley in Arunachal Pradesh, India. Apatani women were amongst the most beautiful. They were so beautiful that they made themselves look unattractive as protection from invaders from other tribes. Apatani women consequently started wearing large wooden plugs in their noses.

Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by mikron(m): 3:04am On Apr 26, 2015
4. Lip Elongation

The Mursi is a nomadic tribe living in the border between Ethiopia and Sudan. Mursi women are famous for wearing large plates in their lower lips. This practice is a sign of endurance and maturity, and it is therefore admired within the community.

Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by baby124: 3:06am On Apr 26, 2015
mikron:
3. Wooden Plugs
The Apatani tribe resides in the Ziro valley in Arunachal Pradesh, India. Apatani women were amongst the most beautiful. They were so beautiful that they made themselves look unattractive as protection from invaders from other tribes. Apatani women consequently started wearing large wooden plugs in their noses.
They must be deluded. Even this woman claim beauty cheesy

1 Like

Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by Ilekeh(f): 3:07am On Apr 26, 2015
@number 3

So flat nose makes us ugly abi? undecided

Another subtle message to black people from white researchers.
Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by barackodam: 3:23am On Apr 26, 2015
damn!!!!!

am like eeeeewwwwww :-/
Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by mikron(m): 3:33am On Apr 26, 2015
5. “Wodden Ears”

The Rikbaktsa live in the Amazon rain forest of Brazil. In this community, the men wear wooden disks in their elongated earlobes. They have their ears pierced during a ritual celebration at the age of 14. This rite marks a young man’s transition into adulthood and eligibility for marriage.

Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by mikron(m): 3:34am On Apr 26, 2015
6. “Long necks”

The Kayan live in Myanmar. Most Kayan women wear brass coils around their necks. The brass coils are placed around young girls’ necks when they reach five years old. As time passes, each coil is replaced with a longer one.

Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by mikron(m): 3:37am On Apr 26, 2015
7. Teeth Sharpening

Teeth sharpening is a form of body modification that some South Asian women have undergone. It is practiced by the Bagobo women of Mindanao in the Philippines.

Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by mikron(m): 3:38am On Apr 26, 2015
8. Gum Tattooing

Fulani women tattoo their lower lip and gum with a pigment of charcoal mixed with shea butter. This event marks puberty.

Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by mikron(m): 3:39am On Apr 26, 2015
9. Amputation

In Dani, New Papua, finger amputation is a form of mourning. Tribesmen cut off their fingers in order to display their grief at funerals. Fingers are cut by close family members such as the mother, the father, or siblings.
http://www.afrizap.com/en/9-extreme-body-modifications-you-can-blame-on-culture/10/

Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by Caseless: 3:41am On Apr 26, 2015
Ilekeh:
@number 3

So flat nose makes us ugly abi? undecided

Another subtle message to black people from white researchers.
platyrhine, i guess that's what it is called.
Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by oyeludef(m): 4:08am On Apr 26, 2015
Deluded folks.
Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by xpac01(m): 4:12am On Apr 26, 2015
This is scary!
Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by Motolank: 4:22am On Apr 26, 2015
All weird

1 Like

Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by Nobody: 4:33am On Apr 26, 2015
God for purnish my parents now if they ever did that rubbish on me. What kind of nonsense is this? People teaching God how to create abi. Ndi ara undecided
Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by onyi4edu(f): 4:52am On Apr 26, 2015
Why will one subject self to pains and deformation(body modification as the Op said) all in the name of whatever
Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by socialmediaman: 5:01am On Apr 26, 2015
The finger amputation is so stupid. How could people suddenly render themselves disabled? Do they enjoy pity and begging?
Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by Nobody: 5:11am On Apr 26, 2015
I like things like this. Peoples culture practices and beliefs. More... ..
Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by whillyamz98(m): 5:20am On Apr 26, 2015
Euuuuuu... That number 9 looks like kuturu.
Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by JiggamanGh: 5:47am On Apr 26, 2015
IdiAmin1:
God for purnish my parents now if they ever did that rubbish on me. What kind of nonsense is this? People teaching God how to create abi. Ndi ara undecided

If u lived in such society you will be mad at your mom for not doing it to you.
Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by JiggamanGh: 5:48am On Apr 26, 2015
dovelike:
I like things like this. Peoples culture practices and beliefs. More... ..

How was the wedding?
Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by JiggamanGh: 5:48am On Apr 26, 2015
mikron:
2. Body scarification

Sepik River tribes in Papua, New Guinea practice scarification as part of an initiation ceremony for men. The elders use razor blades to cut the young men in a pattern that looks like the rough skin of an alligator.

This looks badazz
Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by Carinaflo(f): 6:22am On Apr 26, 2015
Unbelievable!. Things people do for the sake of their cultural belief
Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by benuejosh: 6:48am On Apr 26, 2015
Irritating
Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by Nobody: 7:00am On Apr 26, 2015
JiggamanGh:

How was the wedding?
Fantastic. I danced grin and had fun grin grin
Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by stinggy(m): 9:39am On Apr 26, 2015
Very extreme modifications, I must say.

Imagine how cute that guy in no 2 would have appeared until he pulls his shirt.
Also the woman with wooden plugs in no 3, very pretty
What about the Lip elongation and Wooden Ears.
Crazy stuffs!
Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by Nobody: 10:08am On Apr 26, 2015
Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by Nobody: 10:24am On Apr 26, 2015
Attimes I look around the world and I wanna thank my earliest folks for paying huge price for civilisation. Imagine my earlobe being elongated just to place one useless plate inside of it and my wife lower lips being elongated just to place useless plate in it..... Taaa Tufiakwa. The worst thing in life is ignorance/uncivilised and not knowing one is uncivilised.

Imagine someone will cut off his fingers because u wanna mourn ..... I even understand the sharpened teeth, maybe they use their teeth in place of lack of knife .... bloody vampires. .... This shows human were animals at some point ...... evolution, exposure,innovation, civilisation and now technology is the real deal.
Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by Nobody: 10:28am On Apr 26, 2015
JiggamanGh:

If u lived in such society you will be mad at your mom for not doing it to you.
grin ahahaaha na so ..... I for sue my parents now sha had it been I find any tribal mark for my cheeks ..... they must explain why dem go tear me mark without my consent.
Re: Pics: 9 Extreme Body Modifications You Can Blame On Culture by tjfulloption(m): 10:37am On Apr 26, 2015
thank you Lord I did not fall into this type of societies.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Letter To The Edo People(bini Tribe). / Who Do You Think Is The Worst Governor In Nigeria Presently / Fulani Man Spotted Preaching In Public In Kaduna State. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.