Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,986 members, 7,942,542 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 12:00 PM

Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? (3321 Views)

Do Nigerian Families Eat Together? / Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid / Do You Eat Together As A Family? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by Epi: 5:35pm On Feb 02, 2009
Growing up, it was imperative for the family to eat at least one meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner) together.  In fact, it is still our custom at my mom's house. That said, this morning we sat down and ate together, in front of the TV (not ideal) but it was fun.
Me, i learned my good table manners and proper etiquette during family meals.

Do you eat (at least one meal) together as a family?
What does eating as a family mean to you?

Here is an interesting article

The benefits of eating together

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=439

1 love
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by tRoOE(f): 5:43pm On Feb 02, 2009
The last time we ate together as family was last year Thanksgiving grin
How can we eat together when we cook separately grin tongue
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by JustGood(m): 6:20pm On Feb 02, 2009
I wish we did it more often in my family but it's my fault. Plus, we have different time tables in the home.

sometimes, I'm rushing to the office at unexpected hours. sad
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Feb 02, 2009
Rarely, mostly when we are having takeaways, but other than that, nah.
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by Raymond88(m): 7:04pm On Feb 02, 2009
Nope, when i was living with the family i just take my food up to my room and eat in front of the computer. I live alone now so. . .
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by showbobo(m): 7:07pm On Feb 02, 2009
Way Back when i was growing not now. . . . . .
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by kellygirl(f): 7:08pm On Feb 02, 2009
yes, we still eat together,especially wit mum.
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by SeanT21(f): 7:17pm On Feb 02, 2009
Only on Thanksgiving and special holidays.Ordinary days some eat in the room,in the living room or in front of the computer.~~~Some at night,evening or when the food is ready~~~!!

So We do not eat as a family!!
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by fs(f): 7:37pm On Feb 02, 2009
Growing up, I think we only truly ate together (on the dining table) on Sunday afternoons. At least when I was a teenager (home from boarding house).

I don't have kids yet but my husband and I tend to eat at the same time, in front of the TV. Sometimes we don't, but most times we do.
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by dalaman: 7:37pm On Feb 02, 2009
Good families always eat together, it strengthens the bond among the members of the family i believe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Feb 02, 2009
Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together?

That would be a slow torture angry
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Feb 02, 2009
dalaman:

Good families always eat together, it strengthens the bond among the members of the family i believe.

not always true. We ate together almost all the time and i see no difference now that i eat alone.
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by Hauwa1: 8:05pm On Feb 02, 2009
when i was growing up, we did. my mom will pour food in a big fancy tray with nice spoons and we all eat from there. very nice the dragging was fun even though there was one big pot of food in the kitchen we drag around which was really nice.

i will make sure i eat from the same plate as my man. yes we will share one dish come what may.
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by chamotex(m): 8:19pm On Feb 02, 2009
Unfortunately not simply bcuzz when I'm hungry, my sister might not be hungry at that time and vice versa.

Also I don't really eat breakfast most of the time . . . I don't have any sort of appetite in the morning.

So the rule is, eat when you are hungry. Chikena!
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by ifyalways(f): 8:24pm On Feb 02, 2009
Breakfast and dinner,Yes.Lunch. . .no time for that xcept weekends
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Feb 02, 2009
we ate together when we lived together.
thats not the case now since we all left home and all grown.

we still eat together whenever we go home.

as a family, i would encourage eating together. you may not know it but a whole lot of bonding is happening.
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by royalicon(m): 10:25pm On Feb 02, 2009
Yes, but the roll-call is not always complete, daddy may come home late etc.

But as a bacheclor, i always eat with my fiancee whenever she visits, its a must.

Its a good habit that must be cultivated.
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by joobreel(m): 10:51pm On Feb 02, 2009
eat together sha? i cant remember when last we were complete. its either the father is missing or the mother. sometimes, the two of them. understand the lagos thing. its not easy. we get to enjoy the luxury on some very rare sunday afternoons sha.
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by touchmeder: 11:18pm On Feb 02, 2009
long long ago wen we were kids yes oh those were great days
as we grew older we'd take our food to eat wereva we like. room, front of tv, computer, inside d car
now the house is empty
but my parents still eat together most of the time

its a wonderful way of life i hope to do same cheesy
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by sherrylo: 12:08am On Feb 03, 2009
Long,long time ago,when we were growing up.
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by allboyz(m): 1:16am On Feb 03, 2009
Only when growing up . . , Now? No. . , we eat different things. , .coincidentally. . .we might be eating different type of meal on the same dinning table. kiss
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by simpleboy(m): 2:33am On Feb 03, 2009
hey what do you think
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by simpleboy(m): 2:58am On Feb 03, 2009
my name is engineer kingley clifford, we have some vacancies in our company and we need 12 graduate who can work with us. salary is very attractive . if you are interested you can call me with 08032143943 and i will tell you what next to do
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by Epi: 3:48am On Feb 03, 2009
After reading the responses - some of you were privilege growing up. For us, eating in the bed room was a “no-no” and we were not allowed to have a TV in the bedroom.

The one thing we all agree on though:- it's important to eat together

1 love
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by netotse(m): 5:51am On Feb 03, 2009
not in ages
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by kaypinchi(m): 6:19am On Feb 03, 2009
That s getting more difficult by the day. embarassed
Sunday lunch is still a must though, this helps to bond the family
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by Nobody: 7:37am On Feb 03, 2009
my mum takes it a lil bit further by trying to get all of us to eat from the same plate/pot.
it happened a few times but no more. bloody thing slows my swallowing pace
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by Nobody: 8:45am On Feb 03, 2009
)
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by amaikama(m): 9:07am On Feb 03, 2009
Yes ooohhh!!! we do when dad and mun where still alive and well but now they have all gone and now i eat alone since am single. grin
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by Tatase(f): 9:31am On Feb 03, 2009
We eat dinner together as a family every night on weekdays and on weekends, we eat lunch and dinner together. It's been like this since I was really little.
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by chukxy44(m): 9:38am On Feb 03, 2009
It use to be a common family pratice before, but now eating together on sunday its not a rugular tin, most especially wen u have to wait for all those meetings after church service and beside am not always at home most weekends these days. Eating together as a family strengthens the bond and enable to really appreciate been a family
Re: Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? by denony(m): 9:47am On Feb 03, 2009
It's nice dinning together, i remember when i was a teenager we all eat together, pouring the whole pot of rice out in a tray, scatter the dish, and ask mum for more.

Imagine ten-twelve people rushing a pot of rice, or basin of fufu (Akpu) grin

being the last born mum will reserve small for me secretely.
I can't forget those days, i really enjoyed it.

family that eats together stays together

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Beat My Husband Regularly Because He Wants Another Wife / Why Perfectly Good Husbands Are Being Abandoned / Does This Make Me A Bad Mother?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.