Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,780 members, 7,875,936 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 03:30 AM

Iran And Nuclear Weapon - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Iran And Nuclear Weapon (783 Views)

Men From The US Forces Caught Raping Young Girls As A Weapon Of War [PHOTOS] / Iran And Israel: Comparing Military Machines / Can Somebody Please Explain Why They Need A Nuclear Weapon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iran And Nuclear Weapon by PeeDaVinci: 10:26pm On Feb 02, 2009
what is your opinion about iran having nuclear weapons?what are the implications of this (both positive and negative)? is this good for a counry (iran) that declares another country (isreal) should be wiped off the map? do you see Saudi going nuclear too because of this (as a result of the rivlary between saudi and iran? do you see other countries too going nuclear because of this? what is the implication of this on nuclear proliferation treaty? is this all leading us to apocalypse? clearly, iran is using diplomacy to buy time now in order to complete their nuclear program, and hence, change the terms/conditions of the diplomacy- do you see Obama being so gullible to fall for this Iran's trick or do you see Obama using the America's military option or its proxy (Israel), and what do you see as the role of Russia in this - as they are helping Iran to build their nuclear plant? do you see America's giving up on some of its Space Defence program in Poland, and its spreading influence in areas that are traditionally for russia in order to coerce russia to deisit from helping iran?? do you also see Netayahu bombing Iran's nuclear plants against U.S. wishes if he is elected, and what will the implications of this be?

it is all complicated, but what is your take on this
Re: Iran And Nuclear Weapon by Nobody: 10:57pm On Feb 02, 2009
This is my take

I want food on mhy table. I want clothes on my back. I want a roof over my head. And after these all is well.
Re: Iran And Nuclear Weapon by Muza(m): 9:37am On Feb 03, 2009
If a terrorist state like Israel can have nuclear,why not Iran.
Iran need nuclear to defend itself from the Zionist terrorist state.
Re: Iran And Nuclear Weapon by ElRazur: 5:48pm On Jun 29, 2009
Any nation can do what he/she wants provided it is not a security threat to any of his/her neigbours.
Re: Iran And Nuclear Weapon by Afam(m): 6:06pm On Jun 29, 2009
If anyone believes that a nuclear weapon is bad then no country should be allowed to develop or keep what they must have developed in the past.

On Iran, there is no single proof that the nation is developing nuclear weapon but even if it is developing one it has the right to do so as long as any nation believes it can develop the same weapon.

Having a nuclear weapon these days seems to be a status thing and other countries don't mess with you. So if the powerful nations do what they like and get away with them because of such weapons in their arsenal then why would smaller or weaker nations not aspire to own them?

Both India and Pakistan went nuclear within 3 weeks of one of them testing and basically announcing to the world that it now has one.

These 2 nations are aware of what each other is capable of doing but none of them has so far used the weapon maybe out of respect for each other.

Maybe, countries that have problems with other countries should acquire them and it will more or less balance the equation.

For example, would Israel have dared to destroy the infrastructure of Syria based on Hezbollah's action if Syria had nuclear weapon? in my opinion NO.

Meanwhile, it is on record that the US remains the only country that have used an atomic bomb even in civilian area and not the countries the West seems to be worried about in the Arab world.
Re: Iran And Nuclear Weapon by NegroNtns(m): 1:52am On Jun 30, 2009
@Post,

First of all, Iran will never wipe Israel off the map. Ahmadinejjad is using a rhetorical style of bullying common in school yard turf battles. To be taken serious and have influence and become the most feared in school yard boys size one another up and use vulnerabilities to attack opponent camps. The camp that yields ground loses. Ahmadinejjad is ambitious and need to project Iran to the fore front of global politics.

Look at India and Pakistan. . .their acquisition of nuclear weapons is wasteful and an unecessary resource. Beside Pakistan, who else is an adversay to India? So is it really worth acquiring nuclear to fight an adversary that you fought and defeated in past wars? No. So why is India in posession of nuclear? Because until the next bigger weapon on the block, nuclear so far, has proven to be an income earner in global politics.

Here is why I said that. If you have five million dollars in your bank account, the people that have more than you are never your safety concerns, it is usually those who are poor that give you restless nights. It is same principle in politics. Energy resource is tangible welath and America, Russia, Britain, France, Germany. . .all these big powers are fearful that a global tension erupting into war have the chances of disrupting global energy resource and distribution and changing the dynamics of political relevance, depending on where the war is being fought.

To avert that possibility, the big powers pay off security money in form of aid package to keep these smaller ambitious countries from acquiring nuclear or in fact using it. All third world countries that are today in posession of nuclear weapon are far and much richer now and politically relevant than they were prior. In contradiction, all third world countries that do not have nuclear weapon today are poorer and far less relevant than they were twenty years ago.

What enemy does Iran have today to warrant acquiring nuclear weapon? You might say Israel and America. . .Iran is not a military match fr those two, individually or jointly. So there is a second and a third motive. . .that of political relevance and economic sustainability.
Re: Iran And Nuclear Weapon by NegroNtns(m): 1:57am On Jun 30, 2009
. . .I must add that my post seconded Afam's, he made a brilliant observation.
Re: Iran And Nuclear Weapon by RichyBlacK(m): 4:19am On Jun 30, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

. . .I must add that my post seconded Afam's, he made a brilliant observation.

@Negro_Ntns,

I enjoy reading Afam's post, he always brings up excellent points.
Re: Iran And Nuclear Weapon by RichyBlacK(m): 4:21am On Jun 30, 2009
Afam:

For example, would Israel have dared to destroy the infrastructure of Syria based on Hezbollah's action if Syria had nuclear weapon? in my opinion NO.

Who dash monkey banana? They can't even do that to non-nuclear Iran.
Re: Iran And Nuclear Weapon by Afam(m): 8:25am On Jul 01, 2009
@RichyBlack & Negro_Ntns,

Thanks for your posts.

I have longed realized that truth will always win any battle and war over lies and that lies will always fall like a pack of lies.

Unfortunately, when we speak out against injustices happening to some people in different parts of the world some of us would wrong claim that we are pro this and anti that.

What these people fail to realize is that what goes around comes around and the crime you may support or approve of today may turn around to haunt you tomorrow.

The whole issue of nuclear technology and nuclear weapon is funny to me because if anyone believes it is a bad thing to have then why keep them? Why build them? Why selectively apply rules depending on nations you call friends and those you call foes.

All the lies and conspiracy theories manufactured and spread by some of the powerful nations continue to crumble by the day. The only sad thing is that because of these lies innocent lives are wasted and those responsible are usually never brought to book.

For example why would the US tell us you are not allowed to try their soldiers in your own lands in spite of atrocities they commit from rape to execution of innocent families? Why protect soldiers who have committed crimes in other lands by all means even with enough evidence to prosecute them?

Something is not right here and until such hypocrisy, lies, double standards, bullying etc stop it will be very difficult to achieve sustainable peace because people will always rise up to challenge such so when people talk about Hezbollah, Hamas etc they fail to ask themselves how these groups came about. It is very important to understand their history and in doing so we can now decide to label them as either terrorists or freedom fighters because let us face it, for the simple fact that HAMAS won a landslide in an election no one (but the people of Palestine) gave them any chance even with the US supporting their main opposition FATAH goes to show that those the West may choose to call terrorists out of say convenience may mean a whole lot to a people, a race or a generation of people that have seen great injustices in their lives and would not mind supporting those bold enough to attempt to get them out of the inhuman treatment they are being subjected to by others just because of their race or religion.

Unfortunately again, many of us look at these issues with very stiff mindsets usually based on bias and religious affiliations where a regular Christian would want to side with US or Israel while a regular Muslim would want to side with countries like Iran, Iraq and the Palestinian people regardless of the facts on ground.
Re: Iran And Nuclear Weapon by RichyBlacK(m): 5:35pm On Jul 01, 2009
Afam:

@RichyBlack & Negro_Ntns,

Thanks for your posts.

I have longed realized that truth will always win any battle and war over lies and that lies will always fall like a pack of lies.

Unfortunately, when we speak out against injustices happening to some people in different parts of the world some of us would wrong claim that we are pro this and anti that.

What these people fail to realize is that what goes around comes around and the crime you may support or approve of today may turn around to haunt you tomorrow.

The whole issue of nuclear technology and nuclear weapon is funny to me because if anyone believes it is a bad thing to have then why keep them? Why build them? Why selectively apply rules depending on nations you call friends and those you call foes.

All the lies and conspiracy theories manufactured and spread by some of the powerful nations continue to crumble by the day. The only sad thing is that because of these lies innocent lives are wasted and those responsible are usually never brought to book.

For example why would the US tell us you are not allowed to try their soldiers in your own lands in spite of atrocities they commit from rape to execution of innocent families? Why protect soldiers who have committed crimes in other lands by all means even with enough evidence to prosecute them?

Something is not right here and until such hypocrisy, lies, double standards, bullying etc stop it will be very difficult to achieve sustainable peace because people will always rise up to challenge such so when people talk about Hezbollah, Hamas etc they fail to ask themselves how these groups came about. It is very important to understand their history and in doing so we can now decide to label them as either terrorists or freedom fighters because let us face it, for the simple fact that HAMAS won a landslide in an election no one (but the people of Palestine) gave them any chance even with the US supporting their main opposition FATAH goes to show that those the West may choose to call terrorists out of say convenience may mean a whole lot to a people, a race or a generation of people that have seen great injustices in their lives and would not mind supporting those bold enough to attempt to get them out of the inhuman treatment they are being subjected to by others just because of their race or religion.

Unfortunately again, many of us look at these issues with very stiff mindsets usually based on bias and religious affiliations where a regular Christian would want to side with US or Israel while a regular Muslim would want to side with countries like Iran, Iraq and the Palestinian people regardless of the facts on ground.

@Afam,

Your post above has summarized the problem we face in this world. People are just too lazy to think beyond their affiliations. Many people have no guiding principle and would defend criminal atrocities just because it was perpetrated by a member of their faith, ethnic group or nationality.

I will never forget how the U.S., under Reagan, vilified the ANC as a terrorist organization. Many people have forgotten this already! As far as I'm concerned, Hamas is a freedom fighting group, and all freedom loving people should support them. Mere accusations or smear campaigns by ignorant Americans (like most Republicans) or extremist Israelis (like most Likud members) should not intimidate those willing to take a stand against tyranny or oppression.

For me, the protection of the fundamental human rights of the individual or group trumps any and all religious considerations. I will never support any action, in the name of any religion, to deprive one human of his/her fundamental rights as a human. Yet, some of the Christian extremists have labeled me "Muslim", "Arab", "Imam", "Osama", etc. grin grin grin grin grin, simply because I take the side of the Palestinians in their struggle against Apartheid, and the Iranians in their struggle to reduce green-house emission by adopting nuclear technology in providing electrical power.

Most Muslims and Christians do not practice their religion sincerely. They just blab nonsense and practice rubbish. How can a Christian support the killing of a six-year old Palestinian girl, just because she was shot by an Israeli sniper? Also, how can a Muslim support the beheading of a 33-year old Muslim man who decided to become a Christian but then charged with the ridiculous crime of apostasy? So-called Muslims or Christians who support these kinds of barbarism are the worst kinds of humans. They elevate their nonsensical religious biases/views/interpretations above the fundamental human rights of the individual or group.

Separating politics from religion is a very hard task for many. And in their bid to prove that their religion is "the best" they support unimaginable evil and unspeakable acts! Why can't these religious people just practice their faith without killing or oppressing others in the name of their religion?

(1) (Reply)

South Korean Ex-president Kills Himself- He Should Have Become Nigerian / Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee / The Downwards Spiral Of Venezuela?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.