Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,471 members, 7,964,907 topics. Date: Thursday, 03 October 2024 at 01:10 AM

What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem (2725 Views)

In Your Own Views, What Actually Is Nigeria's Problem? / Jonathan - I Can't Solve Nigeria's Problem Alone / Is Nigeria's Problem Bad Leadership Or Weak "followership"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by ayo84(m): 3:44pm On Feb 04, 2009
nigeria's greatest problem is that we havent experienced our turmoil point.
the nigerian civil war was a turning point for our biafra brothers,it stretched their abilities and made them today the greatest business entrepreneurs of nigeria today.

1 Like

Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by Eziachi: 4:41pm On Feb 04, 2009
Nigeria problem is Nigeria itself. After fifty years, Nigeria is still not a nation but a man made geographical map.
You can't continue to force people that love to undermine and get one over each other to continue in an unholy marriage just to keep few ruling elite's water and bread running for them and expect progress.

Can you just picture all the 15 former Soviet nations still living as a single entity along with Russia in today's world and thinks it will be potpourri?
Absolutely impossible!!!
Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by Eziachi: 5:07pm On Feb 04, 2009
gadogado:

@asha

why then are we collectively complaining about the state of nigeria if there is no feeling of nationhood?what are we all and the millions who are doing the same complaining about? the enterperise? no we are complaining about the nation,our nation. if you go abroad somewhere,doesnt matter where,if they ask you where you're from,you many people find it heavy to say nigeria coz of the shame!!! thats why nigerians in the u.k simply say theyre from other african countries. i disagree with the nationhood argument you put forward.
nija is a nation and the only nation we have,im sure all these big government theives know this.but theyre just too greedy!simple.

Like Asha said, Nigeria is just an entreprise to make a living, to being someone in a chaotic environment which they couldn't have manage in a civil environment.
You may be complaining about your nation but that doesn't necessarily translate into nationhood because when we get down to it, the so called nationhood alwaysl end up into tribalhood and we still pretend as if it doesn't exist.
Nigeria is not a nation and will never be one because nature dictated that it will never be but we are just fooling ourselves, hoping for miracle that will never materialise.
- An average Igboman thinks other Nigerians are rubbish!
- An average Arewa man thinks that his god created him to hold political power and feed from it till he/she kicks the bucket!
- An average Oduduwa man will never vote for a man from another tribe in an election his kinsman is a candidate even if his kinsman is a goat.
- And the same goes for others, who are just there in Nigeria to make up the numbers, while their resources are siphoned by the others.

If people want a progressive Nigeria. Everybody has to sit down as equals no matter your size or population and ask the first question:- WHO WANTS TO BE A NIGERIA? and if all agree, then how should we co-exist? What should bring to the table and what do we get in return? If thing doesn't work out, can I peacefully go without bombs flying?

There is no doubt that the British imperialist created a monster called Nigeria but that was 50 years ago, no point blaming them when we can do something about it and create an equal co-habiting new Nigeria or every man to his tent.
Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by Kobojunkie: 5:13pm On Feb 04, 2009
Here’s a question for you @Eziachi. I understand that you are one of those preaching Biafra. My question to you is how come the many states which you claim belongs to Biafra have yet to show concern for their own people. The constitution has always allowed states to pursue progress without much hindrance, coming from the federal government. Why have states like Anambra, Imo, Abia, Enugu, so far not shown this “Biafrans r’us” spirit which you suppose is the solution?
Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by manmustwac(m): 10:07pm On Feb 04, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Here’s a question for you @Eziachi. I understand that you are one of those preaching Biafra. My question to you is how come the many states which you claim belongs to Biafra have yet to show concern for their own people. The constitution has always allowed states to pursue progress without much hindrance, coming from the federal government. Why have states like Anambra, Imo, Abia, Enugu, so far not shown this “Biafrans r’us” spirit which you suppose is the solution?
Good point! wink
Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by ilaugh1: 10:14pm On Feb 04, 2009
the problem is with the followership, nothing else.
Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by Eziachi: 12:54am On Feb 05, 2009
Kobojunkie:

What a stupid question!!!!
Then let me ask you how many of those people you are refering to are actaully elected or true representatives of Biafran people or just agents of their masters in Abuja? Bob Marley sang that soon we will found out whom the real leaders and revolutionaries are and con artist and mercenaries".
Those Igbo politician will rather eat their balls than to see that Biafra materialise because it's not in their best interest.
They will all ran into exile than to live with their own people in isolation because of their record.
Ask yourself why the likes of Ojo Nmaduekwe will need a truck load of army/police to be able to sleep in his village and people like you will still term him as an Igbo leader?
Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by Kobojunkie: 2:31am On Feb 05, 2009
Eziachi:

What a stupid question!!!!
Do you people (I mean people who spout dreams of a Biafran utopia) ever answer questions asked? Jeezzz!!! The questions are valid since you seem to believe secession is the solution.
Eziachi:

Then let me ask you how many of those people you are refering to are actaully elected or true representatives of Biafran people or just agents of their masters in Abuja?
Oh blimey!! So, you mean all the Ibo governors that have been elected\selected to rule “Biafran” states to date are not biafran agents but agents of Abuja? Even though most all of them are from right? What the heck was I thinking believing you would give me good answers, as opposed to others I have asked of the same ?
Eziachi:

Bob Marley sang that soon we will found out whom the real leaders and revolutionaries are and con artist and mercenaries".
Well, the guy has been dead almost 20 years; his people are still waiting for the “phantom” real leaders and revolutionaries, you sure you don’t want to switch row models about now? Lol
Eziachi:

Those Igbo politician will rather eat their balls than to see that Biafra materialise because it's not in their best interest.
And these are not the same “Polistealants” you expect to lead Biafra if it ever materializes? I mean at the end of the day, you still have to deal with them, whichever way you go. So denying them now and claiming those you have today, even though they are of biafran origin (from states you claim will be part of your Biafra), does not make sense. I mean they are your own people and they do not care right now. What makes you think that when you secede, they will MAGICALLY start to care? Is there some MAGICAL event (that will transform all dirty, self-serving, wicked, and ignorant Ibos into good biafran citizens) to follow the seceding, or what?

Eziachi:

They will all ran into exile than to live with their own people in isolation because of their record.
You think I am seriously going to buy the argument that the decay I see all over the East is because of the actions of a few men? What do you take me for, an idiot?
Eziachi:

Ask yourself why the likes of Ojo Nmaduekwe will need a truck load of army/police to be able to sleep in his village and people like you will still term him as an Igbo leader?
He is Ibo. You can deny it but he was born and raised an Ibo. He grew up Ibo. He lived amongst the Ibos. Most likely learned some of what he has now from Ibos around him when he was growing up. He is not an Alien. He most likely still hangs and even spends the money with many of those he grew up with (some of them not politicians but most likely Ibos).

I am looking for you to convince me here that secession is the solution for Nigeria, and ultimately for Ibos but so far, I am wondering if you have any idea what you are asking for.
Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by highpappy: 6:51am On Feb 05, 2009
i think is because we didnt fight hard for our independence from the colonial master, unlike some of these western nation who shed blood for their fredom. You never suffer and you say you are wise, who is your teacher?
Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by K0bojunkie: 7:06am On Feb 05, 2009
the problem is with the followership, the diasporians who never see anything goood in the country and all they see is doom while their fellow Nigerians are there in Nigeria making millions easily.
Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by enziga(m): 7:17am On Feb 05, 2009
Nigeria's problem is that the people aren't suffering enough,
We never suffer yet, if the masses were througly suffering a revolution would have occured already,
If we were experiencing the type of suffering experienced in somalia/sudan and if the suffering was widespread then Nigeria would rreach it's tipping point and then we can start the growth process,
When some ppl are prospering and some ppl are suffering,
No one strives to make that effort.
Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by Kobojunkie: 5:24pm On Feb 05, 2009
enziga:

We never suffer yet, if the masses were througly suffering a revolution would have occured already,
If we were experiencing the type of suffering experienced in somalia/sudan and if the suffering was widespread then Nigeria would rreach it's tipping point and then we can start the growth process,

if you argue that the people aren't suffering enough, then we should all tighten our belts cause it might get as bad as what we hear of in Somalia or even congo, as we speak. embarassed
Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by JustGood(m): 5:26pm On Feb 05, 2009
enziga:

grin
Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by Muza(m): 5:33pm On Feb 05, 2009
Kobojunkie:

if you argue that the people aren't suffering enough, then we should all tighten our belts cause it might get as bad as what we hear of in Somalia or even congo, as we speak. embarassed
and with the way we are going,it wouldn't be long before we arrive there
Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by Eziachi: 7:03pm On Feb 05, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I am looking for you to convince me here that secession is the solution for Nigeria, and ultimately for Ibos but so far, I am wondering if you have any idea what you are asking for.

I don't make argument for the sake of making an argument, read the caption of this thread again and it says: WHAT WILL YOU SAY ABOUT NIGERIA'S PROBLEM. And in my opinion I said that Nigeria has two options, one is for everyone to sit down and form a new Nigeria, where every Dick an Harry no matter how big or small can with open eyes negotiate their terms of existence of being part of Nigeria and then tell the rest what they will bring to the table and what they will get in return and the other option is the option of self govt by any region that wants to opt out.
But you did not address what I had said but ended up as always talking about BIAFRA, which people like you are obssessed about eventhough you are not part of Biafra and if Biafra exist it will not affect your life in any shape or form.
And you expect me to answer a question that is useless and irrelevant to issue in discussion.

Now you want me to convince you that secession is the solution to Nigerian problem. What makes you think you deserved to be convinced? Why would I want to do that and for what reason? It's you that should convince yourself that one Nigeria created by the British and sustained by people like you is working after half a century of trying without any gain.
Try and convince yourself as I don't owe you any sort of conviction.

If you think Nigeria as it is structured is working, why do I need to convince you about an alternative?
Just ask the 15 former Soviet states plus Russia, why they decided to dissolve a powerful super power, don't ask me.
Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by Kobojunkie: 7:20pm On Feb 05, 2009
Eziachi:

I don't make argument for the sake of making an argument, read the caption of this thread again and it says: WHAT WILL YOU SAY ABOUT NIGERIA'S PROBLEM. And in my opinion I said that Nigeria has two options, one is for everyone to sit down and form a new Nigeria, where every privates an Harry no matter how big or small can with open eyes negotiate their terms of existence of being part of Nigeria and then tell the rest what they will bring to the table and what they will get in return and the other option is the option of self govt by any region that wants to opt out.

I understand what you said, but I asked why secession should even be on the table, when there is absolutely no proof that it will work for Nigeria at all.

Eziachi:

But you did not address what I had said but ended up as always talking about BIAFRA, which people like you are obssessed about even though you are not part of Biafra and if Biafra exist it will not affect your life in any shape or form.
And you expect me to answer a question that is useless and irrelevant to issue in discussion.

I chose to focus on the issue of Biafra which I actually know from your many posts on Nairaland you are obsessed with, and also happen to be selling as an option right here on this thread ( i.e secession). I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that I , like you are obsessed with biafra or not.

By the way, how sure are you that I am not from a Biafran state? Are you now pulling things out of you’re a** for this? Can we please stick to what we have on the table and the issue? Like I said earlier, the question is not useless, calling it useless so you can avoid it only shows you are just preaching what you are unwilling and unable to back up with facts in support of. The question I asked you was straight to the point and direct. If you really believe Biafra is a plausible solution, you would at least offer some reasonable argument for why you believe it is.

Eziachi:

Now you want me to convince you that secession is the solution to Nigerian problem. What makes you think you deserved to be convinced? Why would I want to do that and for what reason?

The point is not for you to convince me per say, but to help me understand why, again, Biafra should be on the table as a solution to Nigeria’s problem.

Eziachi:

It's you that should convince yourself that one Nigeria created by the British and sustained by people like you is working after half a century of trying without any gain.

But Biafran states have had the same amount of time to try succeeding as a people. The Eastern states continue to remain in the same state as the rest of the country. What makes you think now that seceding will solve their problems? ** Notice I keep coming back to the same question?

Eziachi:

Try and convince yourself as I don't owe you any sort of conviction.

You are absolutely right that you do not owe me anything here. I only assumed you would be in a more competent position to give me some information on what the so called Biafrans know that the rest of us do not know when it comes to believing that seceding is the key to those states actually thriving now or in the future.

Eziachi:

If you think Nigeria as it is structured is working, why do I need to convince you about an alternative?
Just ask the 15 former Soviet states plus Russia, why they decided to dissolve a powerful super power, don't ask me.

Is the structure really the issue or the people? Again, I wait for you to come back with a good response rather than the side-swipe retorts you have instead handed me. Are all those 15 better off now that they are apart from Russia? Have you not been reading the news on what is going on to date? Most all are still in the hands of Russia. Latest is KYRGYKISTAN is now having to sell it’s soul to the highest bidder. By the way Comparing the situation in Nigeria with that of the soviet, is that really the way you want to go?
Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by Eziachi: 8:05pm On Feb 06, 2009
Kobojunkie:

But Biafran states have had the same amount of time to try succeeding as a people. The Eastern states continue to remain in the same state as the rest of the country. What makes you think now that seceding will solve their problems? ** Notice I keep coming back to the same question?

Is the structure really the issue or the people? Again, I wait for you to come back with a good response rather than the side-swipe retorts you have instead handed me. Are all those 15 better off now that they are apart from Russia? Have you not been reading the news on what is going on to date? Most all are still in the hands of Russia. Latest is KYRGYKISTAN is now having to sell it’s soul to the highest bidder. By the way Comparing the situation in Nigeria with that of the soviet, is that really the way you want to go?

If you think that on personal level that Biafra people are worse off that the rest of Nigeria after starting life with N20 when their wealth was confiscated by the like of you in 1970 then you must be living in a different world.

In 1970 the whole of Igboland had 218 secondary schools but today we had over 4000 secondary school built from the scratch by community/individual effort with any help from govt at all level and tell me how many you had built in your region without govt money?
Biafra is the only people in the world that had built an airport and handed over to the authorities and I am talking of Sam Mbakwe airport. On individual level we had done very well but Nigeria and their agent coined Igbo leaders had always been the clog to our progress to be like the rest of the world.

If you had been to any of the former Soviet states like Ukraine, Latvia or Estonia, I don't think you will be spewing the nonsense that they are worse off as independent nation against being dominated by the Russian. Success of a nation is not only measured by what is in the wallet by the ability to be free to do what you want to do and when you wants to do it. If you know what you are talking about when you mentioned KYRGYKISTAN you should have realise that they did what they did because they a free to do it and a free state of what they think is the best deal for their nation, having a Russian military base than the American they had being hosting for many years and got paid by the Russian.
Freedom and independent has measure in any way. I will rather be a landlord in a grass house than to be a tenant in a mansion.
Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by Kobojunkie: 8:16pm On Feb 06, 2009
Eziachi:

If you think that on personal level that Biafra people are worse off that the rest of Nigeria after starting life with N20 when their wealth was confiscated by the like of you in 1970 then you must be living in a different world.

See, why do you have to type like one of the brain-dead idiots? I know you are passionate about your cause, but do you need to attack my person in this? Don’t you think that making your points without attacking my person speaks better for your cause? Can we please keep it civil! Jeezz!!

Where in my response have I posted that on a personal level I believe Biafrans are worse off than the rest of Nigeria? At least show me you can read, and do not go around like the many imbeciles on here, injecting words willy-nilly into the meaning of posts? GOSH!!!

Eziachi:

In 1970 the whole of Igboland had 218 secondary schools but today we had over 4000 secondary school built from the scratch by community/individual effort with any help from govt at all level and tell me how many you had built in your region without govt money?

So you are saying that all 3782 schools where built with private money and no government involvement? Are these schools private schools or public schools?

By the way, what has number of schools built or not built by government to do with the questions asked or the topic?

Eziachi:

Biafra is the only people in the world that had built an airport and handed over to the authorities and I am talking of Sam Mbakwe airport. On individual level we had done very well but Nigeria and their agent coined Igbo leaders had always been the clog to our progress to be like the rest of the world.

So the Biafran people choose to pay taxes to a non-functioning government made up of Biafran elected leaders, yet they take of their own money to build infrastructure for themselves still. Are my the only one bothered by the fact that the people are here double-charging themselves here? Why pay taxes if you are still going to take out of your own pocket to build the needed infrastructure yourself , but then hand it over to yet the same government to manage? I think that is a troubling development, but then again, if it makes you proud, good for you. grin but still does not answer my question.

Eziachi:

If you had been to any of the former Soviet states like Ukraine, Latvia or Estonia, I don't think you will be spewing the nonsense that they are worse off as independent nation against being dominated by the Russian. Success of a nation is not only measured by what is in the wallet by the ability to be free to do what you want to do and when you wants to do it. If you know what you are talking about when you mentioned KYRGYKISTAN you should have realise that they did what they did because they a free to do it and a free state of what they think is the best deal for their nation, having a Russian military base than the American they had being hosting for many years and got paid by the Russian.
Freedom and independent has measure in any way. I will rather be a landlord in a grass house than to be a tenant in a mansion.

Hey! If you want to believe that those countries that seem to remain in Russia’s pocket are free, good for you but can we get answers on Biafra please. You are yet to answer my initial questions to you.
Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by asha80(m): 8:34pm On Feb 06, 2009
@Eziachi

I think kobojunkie is really of eastern descent .My question is if nigerians really believe in nigeria and i mean really dedicate their life to nigeria?
Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by Kobojunkie: 8:49pm On Feb 06, 2009
asha 80:

My question is if nigerians really believe in nigeria and i mean really dedicate their life to nigeria?

Right now, Nigerians are seriously divided. People do not even believe in their tribes at this point and this is evident in the fact that anywhere you go; north or south, east or west, there is destruction and deterioration. I mean you only need to go to a village in the east, west or north to see what I mean. Villages stand against neighbouring villages; even in the same village, the people are usually divided into two factions and the chief or village head conveniently playing the one side against the other, while he continues to deprive the people of their right to better life.

So I see no reason why preching more division makes sense to anyone. If we preach unity, then we run the risk of having to wait for the message to sink in before we actually see change. I am not preaching unity. I actually embrace the fact that we are divided, and like I have mentioned before, I am not in the business of forcing people to change by hammering unity at them.
I, however, believe that we all have similar dreams. We want a better nation ( irrespective of our differences) and if we can all focus on those goals, in the meantime, we can get the basic issues, we all face, tackled in no time. The hausa man wants access to clean water, so does the yoruba woman and the ibo child. We all want electricity, jobs, good health care and overall better government. Now if we can focus on putting down our differences to the side and tackling these, then I am good.

Change is simple! We have just blindly allowed ourselves continue to come up with excuse after excuse for why we should continue to make our tribal issues bigger than they really are. And in the process, we have continued to delay progress for ourselves, and for children, and our their children’s children. We continue to feed the situation by remaining in the same dormant state we have been for decades now, but expect that heaven will come down to kick the politicians, who we continue to enable by our inaction, out of office; We sit back waiting for a messiah to come wave his magic wand, and somehow make all our differences disappear like that.

We are quick to point out examples of how people in foreign lands have succeeded in one way or another, but ever notice that we never mention all the hard work and the overlooking of differences those people had to endure in order to reach where they are today? I see people on here mention Obama as their new hero time and time again, but do you think that man could have made it to where he is today if he had focused all his energy as we do, on the differences between him and those he is competiting with? Do you think that man could have achieved his goal, if he spewed the same sort of venom many on here do about other tribes?
Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by Eziachi: 11:44pm On Feb 06, 2009
Kobojunkie:

So you are saying that all 3782 schools where built with private money and no government involvement? Are these schools private schools or public schools?

By the way, what has number of schools built or not built by government to do with the questions asked or the topic?

So the Biafran people choose to pay taxes to a non-functioning government made up of Biafran elected leaders, yet they take of their own money to build infrastructure for themselves still. Are my the only one bothered by the fact that the people are here double-charging themselves here? Why pay taxes if you are still going to take out of your own pocket to build the needed infrastructure yourself , but then hand it over to yet the same government to manage? I think that is a troubling development, but then again, if it makes you proud, good for you. grin but still does not answer my question.

Hey! If you want to believe that those countries that seem to remain in Russia’s pocket are free, good for you but can we get answers on Biafra please. You are yet to answer my initial questions to you.

Like I said, I don't owe you any explaination for whatsoever reason.
You can believe what you want to believe.
On my part I believe that all those calling themselves Nigeria need to sit down and create a new Nigeria where everybody with an open eyes negotiate their terms of membership or the option of a separate indepedent state for anyone that wants to.
If that upsets you or makes you mad, I am sorry I don't owe you an explanation or an apology.
Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by Kafin(m): 1:52am On Feb 07, 2009
Boy O Boy, So many opinions on what is the problem with our great country!! I will add mine as well!!!

The problem is mostly that nobody can be held accountable for anything. This has given a "K-Leg" to everything that we do as a nation.

Some people talk about corrupt leaders. I will say that they became corrupt because there is nobody to hold them accountable for the position that they were occupying and their actions. Imagine how governors/ministers or even the president will behave if they know that the House of Reps/Senate will question their actions??

So why is the house of Reps and the Senate not doing their work?? In my opinion, it is because "you and I" are not holding them accountable. Up till last election (and the comming ones, if you and I continue to acti the way we have been acting), most of the Reps and Senators we have, got elected either because of their Surname, because they bought the votes of their community or because they successfully intimidated their community. The intelligent ones who could have helped our nation all ran away from politics leaving the toughs and never-do-wells to play the game (remember the saying that politics is a dirty game?).  Tell me what type of results do you expect from these set of people?? I have heard of members of Reps that were almost-always absent from seatings and some that have NOT said anything in the house since they started their term (I wonder who such people are representing).

When we have a House of Reps and Senate that are occupied by people who truly have the interest of the nation at heart, I tell you that we will start noticing great changes in less than five years. This is because they are the only ones that can democratically and peacefully question the leaders and hold them accountable. Until then we will continue to have a nation whose future is worse that its past.

The solution for this is VERY SIMPLE, though will take some time/pains (nothing good comes easy). You and I should be more active in politics. If you are not interested in contesting, at least make sure that the person that represent your constituency is someone that will represent your interest; Mr.(or Ms.) Big-Money/Big-Surname/Wicked-Tough who has never lived in your community nor done anything in the interest of the people all his/her lifetime has no place in representing your community!!

After selecting your Representative (both in the House and at the Senate) keep close watch on their actions, and let them know your collective(democratic) wishes. Information on how well they represent you should be shared throughout the community, so that everybody knows how their Reps are performing. I am yet to see/meet someone who will know the consequences of doing something wrong, and will still go ahead and act wrongly. (Except when the potential gains outweigh the consequences. This of-course is a special case).

@Eziachi, I noticed your passion for the nation to be divided. Since I dont support dividing the nation, I will give you the liberty of imagining that the whole nation is Igbo, with all the males being more Nna that Nnamdi, and the females being more Nne than Nneka. If we still lack accountability guess what will happen; it will be my clan (who happens to be in power) against yours (who is watching all the stupid things that my clan is doing, and not being accountable for our actions). Then will you quickly call for another division?? Definitely not the way to go.

For those that wants violent protests/revolution, so many have come and gone. We all know what will happen. By the way most of those protests we watch on the TV were sponsored. Their goal is to get enough cloud/noise to push some Bills through the House of Reps and the Senate. Even if the leaders that were committing the action that is being protested were there to meet protesters, guess what will happen when the protesters finally depart for their homes?? So we just have to get our Reps. to really represent us, and do a proper Democracy.

For those that think the problem is "the people". This cannot be true because we have many Nigerians excelling in various parts of the world -except in Nigeria.

Our system (bribes, retrogressive and backward culture, misuse of office/power etc) may carry some blame, in the sense that they can make a potentially-good person to act badly.  But imagine how people will quickly sit-up when they know that they will be held accountable. Even family members will stop making unpatriotic request. Check this; what do you think the head of Central Bank, PHCN, and other parastatals will do if they know that they will be called to come and explain why things are going wrong?? I read about NLC asking for the removal of some leaders, then what? They will simply commit all their atrocities and get fired, and the next person does the same thing. So we as a nation will keep going round in circles. Simply call them to come and explain why things are going wrong. This will deter both the current and future leader from acting wrongly!

Please those that knows the lyrics of Fela's song "Democracy" (or Teacher, no teach me nonsense -I think they are the same) should share it. I want to ask my Rep to sponsor a Bill to incorporate some important parts of the song into the National Anthem.

As soon as we have a House of Reps and Senate that represent us, then we can request for a law that will remove all IMMUNITY from ALL elected officers. An elected officer that have the interest of the nation at heart does not need any immunity. It is true that other nations give their president immunity, but I believe that Nigeria is a special-case.

As the nation prepares for the next election, please get involved!! Make sure that the people in the House of Reps and the Senate are there to truly represent our interest. Dont follow anyone/party simply because some Big-Man is speaking for them. Dont vote for anybody that has never acted in the interest of the people in their lifetime (and we all know them). If you are not able to contest, please support those that will represent the interest of the nation, and openly oppose those that were contesting simply because they have noting better to do.

A good House of Reps and Senate will help us ensure that things are done properly at the State and Federal level. Then Nigeria will be a great Nation.

In my opinion, the President can come any part of the country! With strong demand for accountability, we will all be fine.
Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by Kobojunkie: 2:32pm On Feb 08, 2009
Eziachi:

Like I said, I don't owe you any explaination for whatsoever reason.
You can believe what you want to believe.
On my part I believe that all those calling themselves Nigeria need to sit down and create a new Nigeria where everybody with an open eyes negotiate their terms of membership or the option of a separate indepedent state for anyone that wants to.
If that upsets you or makes you mad, I am sorry I don't owe you an explanation or an apology.

I am not upset; I like to probe people’s beliefs with questions, and rationally expect some answers of some sort. IF you do not feel you owe me answers, I am good. Just wondering why you reduce yourself to personal jabs when the questions are direct and to point.

Any who, if you feel you are right in your way, and it works for you, that is all that matters to me.
Re: What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem by strangleyo: 4:35pm On Feb 08, 2009
Nigerian people. Lack of history of what we're trying to achieve.

We are playing politics without understanding what politics even is. None of the current crop of Nigerian politicians have read works by European heavyweights such as Adam Smith (Wealth of Nations), Thomas Hobbes (The social contract), Emmanuel Kant (unwarranted power, freedoms) and Jean Jacques Russo.

Our collective perception of power, politics and wealth is a joke, a sad, sad, joke!

We believe that politics means being a big man, picking a party, and taking as much power as possible. Being an important man trumps being competent, industrious and pragmatic. And this view prevails because all 150 million (or whatever we number now) totally agree with all of this and would feel uncomfortable with anything else because these fallacies are built on thousand years of tradition that we cling to.

I have always said this, and I'll re-iterate it. What Nigeria needs is a strong man like Stalin who will completely dis-regard thousands of years of African traditions (which are useless now) and puts us in the right direction through pragmatism and force. Whether we LIKE IT OR NOT!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obasanjo’s Govt Promoted Corruption — Reps ! / Jonathan’s Wife Wades Into Enugu Pdp Crisis / A Comparison Of Buhari's 'violations' In Nigeria's Political History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.