Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,372 members, 7,884,821 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 04:16 PM

"Ubuntu For All" (A Short Story On Xenophobia) By Daramola Rotimi - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / "Ubuntu For All" (A Short Story On Xenophobia) By Daramola Rotimi (1634 Views)

Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today / Ubuntu For All ( A Short Story On Xenophobia) / Pleasure And Pain - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Ubuntu For All" (A Short Story On Xenophobia) By Daramola Rotimi by RothmasPop: 10:20am On May 01, 2015
Ubuntu For All

Disturbing images of chaos flashed through her mind as she firmly clutched her 2 year old female child close to her bossom like she planned to torture her with suffocation,she slowly muttered prayers in the native Makhuwa language that is widely spoken in her home town Port D'uoro, Mozambique. Her solemn state was suddenly ushered back into it initial state of fear and panic due to the unpleasant noise of the rioters on her street. "What exactly is there aim?" "Who or what are they protesting against?" All these questions ran through Xiluva's head as she continued to fidget in the corner of her room. She heard some of the protesters cursing foreigners in Afrikaans,a native South African language she understands but not fluent with - Xiluva was once again assured of her safety and that of Gabrielle her 2 year old daughter as she concluded it is probably a fight by the Native Sibasa people of South africa against foreigners but she asked herself more questions "why was her neighbour banging her door and threatening her to come out?" Wasn't it supposed to be a protest against foreigners? She found no answers to her rhetorical questions as she had never imagined herself as a foreigner since crossing the border from her homeland in Mozambique to South Africa 4 years earlier.She could hear the bang on her door once more but this time it wasn't her neighbour but her Nigerian customer that prefers to purchase goods from her directly in her house in the early hours of weekdays, "that must be Chinyere" she said to herself as she approached her door cautiously "Xiluva please open the door" Chinyere exclaimed ,Xiluva hurriedly placed Gabrielle on a sofa and stood behind the door "what's the matter?" She asked,resting the side of her head on the door as if to hear Chinyere better
"Please I shouldn't be found loitering around this neighborhood,I think the Zulu boys' Syndrome has infected the Sibasa boys too,they're unleashing terror on foreigners outside,I managed to get in here without being noticed"
Xiluva gently opened the door for her as she hurriedly entered the room,Xiluva noticed Chinyere was as scared as her and she tried explaining what she'd experienced earlier "I saw them molesting two black men,I thought it was just a normal domestic violence until my neighbour was banging my door and telling me to go on the street so I could be molested,she cursed me a lot but I never answered her,I pretended I wasn't home, I don't just understand the issue,I heard them cursing and abusing foreigners too and for once I thought they were against the white people until I saw them beating up blacks ; I even tried calling my husband but..." Chinyere interrupted her by standing up to check on Gabrielle "Chubby mama, Xiluva What have you been feeding her? Look her her cheeks" Xiluva said to her "Chinyere the noise is still on outside, ain't you scared anymore?" Chinyere replied her "It's my 20th year in South Africa,trust me I've witnessed worse scenarios ,I just feel safe in-here because I know the riot won't last the whole day" "I wonder why they treat us this way though" says Xiluva, Chinyere "You really want to know why? It's because we always tend to outsmart then in every aspect, its not our fault - its the survival instinct in us as foreigners and also their laxity as indigenes. I'll just call it sheer intimidation" Xiluva sighs "But I hear them say Ubuntu everytime,what has happened to the practice of their Ubuntu" Chinyere gently replied her saying "Ubuntu is a relative term my dear,and in this case I think it only works among themselves".

Re: "Ubuntu For All" (A Short Story On Xenophobia) By Daramola Rotimi by ufss: 10:29am On May 01, 2015
ride on boss

1 Like

Re: "Ubuntu For All" (A Short Story On Xenophobia) By Daramola Rotimi by DahtzFestjayz: 10:44am On May 01, 2015
Interesting

1 Like

Re: "Ubuntu For All" (A Short Story On Xenophobia) By Daramola Rotimi by RothmasPop: 12:52pm On May 01, 2015
ufss:
ride on boss
Thanks Lol
Re: "Ubuntu For All" (A Short Story On Xenophobia) By Daramola Rotimi by An0nimus: 10:32pm On May 01, 2015
rothmaspop, I like this story, hope thats not the end?

Please try and run a spell check to correct some spelling errors. If you can break your post into paragraphs as this makes it more pleasing to the eyes and easier to 'swallow'. Dialogues could also be seperated by paragraphs to show the different speakers.

are you same person as Daramola Rotimi or related to him/her?

1 Like

Re: "Ubuntu For All" (A Short Story On Xenophobia) By Daramola Rotimi by RothmasPop: 7:09pm On May 02, 2015
An0nimus:
rothmaspop, I like this story, hope thats not the end?

Please try and run a spell check to correct some spelling errors. If you can break your post into paragraphs as this makes it more pleasing to the eyes and easier to 'swallow'. Dialogues could also be seperated by paragraphs to show the different speakers.

are you same person as Daramola Rotimi or related to him/her?
Thanks boss....i'll do just that..
I'll make the story More lenghty And yes im the same person "Rothmas" is My Nick name.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Hole In My Skin / COVID-19 - A Letter To The UK From Italy: This Is What We Know About Your Future / Wats Your Favourite Quotation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.