Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,063 members, 7,970,281 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 05:21 AM

Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! (10124 Views)

Goodluck Jonathan Lists Out His Achievements In Office During Speech At Oxford / Goodluck Jonathan Hailed For His Speech At Oxford University (Pics) / Photo Of Goodluck Jonathan At Oxford (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by internetpirate: 10:55pm On May 02, 2015
You, my good man, are intelligent! I liked how you dissected the whole conversation, dispassionately and to the point!

omonnakoda:
He is sharp but I do not agree he is good . I think he is immature and plays to the gallery a lot. It is important to study the older more mature interviewers to see how they operate.Clearly he fancies himself as a younger Jeremy Paxman but he must learn that when you ask a question and get an answer you don't like you should at best express your skepticism rather than attempt to badger or bully as he did with the Obasanjo question.That was inappropriate. He should learn from Larry King. The ultimate . Anyway I guess there is a market for his style but he I am sure he will adjust if he was interviewing the Emirs of ,UAE about human rights or workers rights etc

1 Like

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by Esdb3: 11:54pm On May 02, 2015
lokito:
That woman lectured me at FUTO and I'm yet to meet a better lecturer

Please she was outstanding the whites were clapping in awe don't mind that dumb dude fa
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by Esdb3: 11:56pm On May 02, 2015
Naijiant:
To give Madam Due Process her due, she was terrible!

Oby Ezekwesili, one time minister for education and minister for solid minerals under the Obasanjo regime, aka “Madam Due Process”, and lately the frontwoman for the Bring Back Our Girls campaign, went “Head to Head” on Al Jazeera with Mehdi Hasan at the Oxford Union.

More details + video:
http://www.naijiant.com/videos/from-madam-due-process-to-madam-public-embarrassment/

You watch with your eyes closed and earbuds on I guess. Everybody who watched that event was praising her slickness to get out of corners by the interviewer
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by imsuboi(m): 12:32am On May 03, 2015
undecided
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by Nobody: 3:08am On May 03, 2015
omonnakoda:
What did she say exactly ? Are you able to provide a quote because I do not think we listened to the same interview with regard to the NA. I do not believe she "condemned" the NA that is inaccurate. I believe from what I saw that she initially tried to avoid the question but admitted under repeated questioning that there had been abuses .That was the extent of it. Now I believe that was the case and you do not we shall have to leave it at that with regards to the truth of abuses but she did not condemn and if anyone is condemning gratuitously you are. Clearly she is not a politician and showed naivety there in that she could have stonewalled the question which she did at first but to deny it outright to me is not credible. As you said it is easier to condemn which is EXACTLY what YOU have done
To put in context,she did say that "there were instances of human right abuses".I noticed that she is an apologists of facts,but like she did point out with Nuhu's comments on obasanjo as his own opinions and not facts and so refused to give a principal judgement on obasanjo as regards him being a corrupt person,i must say that she was contradicting her beliefs in the logical channel of refusing to comment unless facts are provided by saying that human rights abuses were performed by the army. I believe her claims emanated from citations from transparency international,and some western agencies, again those bodies have no facts as to how the army perpetrated those abuses,there claims as to human right abuses they so much believe in stem from accounts by in their words "local indigenes" .Again these are the opinions of individuals ,and so not rightly facts,but you could argue. If she won't say obj was corrupt because her statements won't be supported by facts but by opinions, then she should not say the army perpetrated human rights abuses as these are opinions from human beings. In her own logical channel as used in this context,i.e "comments backed up by facts"she failed. Again #cheap popularity.what is good for the goose is also good for the gander.

1 Like

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by vivalavida(m): 4:31am On May 03, 2015
omonnakoda:
Firstly she did not "defend liberal economy or IMF" and if she did that is an opinion I do not see what qualifies you or anyone to say it is right or wrong any more than saying one political candidate is better or worse. Economic opinions are not an empirical science. Without dwelling on the opinions she has which I do not agree or disagree with I watched the clip to see how she disgraced herself
Firstly she was not nakedd or drunk
She spoke thoughtfully ,intelligently and articulately in the face on an interview style that was overly intrusive. It is not the job of an interviewer to debate an interviewee but to question . In this case he badgered her quite rudely when he did not give an answer he liked e.g requiring her to give an opinion that was potentially libelous on Obasanjo. Again when she indicated that she was not a partisan politician he persisted that is debating not interviewing there is a difference.She answered the question and he should move on.
Importantly in the face of all that she did not lose her cool as some might have which was quite mature. I do not see economic opinion or politics as areas of mathematical precision He cited information from "Wikileaks" as FACTS which of course are debatable. .What is important is that people have a logical basis for their position. Equally there may be a logical position for an opposing perspective.
I therefore wonder from which altar you deign to pronounce that she was "wrong" by the way she never worked for the IMF but the World Bank, She admitted the need for those institutions to change and even proposed that they should cease to exist by 2033. She did say that African leaders need to show more assertiveness in rejecting policies that did not suit them

When isha sesay was badgering the likes of labran maku and doyin okupe,peepz like u were having premature ejaculation. Now it is this fool of a woman and u remember to use the word badger. Hypocrisy
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by StealthyMe(m): 6:10am On May 03, 2015
Feranchek:

Try attending ALL the universities in Nigeria through JAMB, for different courses. Till you do that, nna'm ukwu, biko, sidon one side, close mouth and read other reasonable comments. Gratias pappy

You didn't have to be so harsh undecided

All he stated was his personal objective embarassed
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by Okoloiuy: 6:34am On May 03, 2015
I have been using this for the past 2 months now on my phone and PC using VPN soft, you get 5gb of data and browse free of charge. you can go here and get the full tutorial and software to use. It work on all naija network except cdma network like visafone. And it work without zapping your money. Go to and get it. http://mobilesurfmagic..com/2015/05/5gb-on-all-network-in-niger
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by Nobody: 9:58am On May 03, 2015
omonnakoda:
Disgrace? What disgrace?
What I saw was a mature exemplary performance against a blustering,bullying and belligerent interview style.

Your contribution is astute. Boy I have been scanning this post and very surprised that most posters have scored her performance low, in fact critically low. I strongly disagree with that perception. She was on point when she stated that Nigerias key problem was the failure of the elite to galvanize their constituencies behind the good cause. This is very true and for that position she received spontaneous applause from the audience. Am sure most posters are blind to this. Even the strong and intelligent interviewer looked flushed in the face, like it was not an outcome desirable to him. I am not Obys fan because of her hard and to me unfair position against GEJ government. But let not sentiment speak for us when we criticize. This woman came off as very intelligent and very well informed. What did people expect her say about Obasanjo? She knows OBJ was corrupt but it was needless accepting or declaring so in that forum. That to me is an epic style to adopt in the face of such militant interview approach. The big picture is that over the years fight against corruption is gaining some ground. Let's quit putting it on individuals. Nearly everyone in Nigeria is corrupt but the self righteous ones are worse because they will even put their own wrong doing on others.
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by Esdb3: 1:26pm On May 04, 2015
razavi:
She, apparently, sleep-walked herself into a most searing and deconstructing interview, that advertised an out of depth lady, unconvincing in the defence of her stewardship, and lame extrication of culpability in the ills that currently assail her country.

She probably imagined the interview to be constricted to the tired refrain of #BBOG, as evidenced in the badge she wore, and hence, didn’t do her homework. For the most part, her responses were bogus, unintelligent, and deflecting in the narratives she deployed. At any rate, it still conveyed her abiding reverence to her principal, whose administration came under scrutiny, and the role of Bretton Woods’s institutions, where she also worked, as catalyst agents, shaping poverty across the continent.

In the event, you missed the interviewer’s inferences, body language, discourse pattern, and closing language- he was less than thrilled, bemused, and somewhat disappointed.

Blah blah apparently you didn't watch the interview, she was thrown into corners but she managed to get out and not cause herself national embarrassment. White people were applauding her and you a hopeless black african not even american is giving your opinion pedantly like anybody cares what your president even have to say talk less of you?? Mtchwww. Sit the. Bleep down!
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by Chiaka(f): 2:37pm On May 04, 2015
She was used for the scam #BringBackOur Girls Propaganda
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by omonnakoda: 2:56pm On May 04, 2015
Esdb3:

you a hopeless black african not even american is giving your opinion pedantly l
What do you mean by that remark?
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by Esdb3: 3:14pm On May 04, 2015
omonnakoda:
What do you mean by that remark?

What do I mean? What does the world take you to mean? They call you third world, they regard you piteously like you are a disease mtchww aand you are giving opinions.
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by omonnakoda: 3:18pm On May 04, 2015
Esdb3:

What do I mean? What does the world take you to mean? They call you third world, they regard you piteously like you are a disease mtchww aand you are giving opinions.
Your mother is a disease. She will wake up with diseases and go to bed with diseases. Diseases will never leave her side. When she dies disease will follow you and your house for ever
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by Esdb3: 3:24pm On May 04, 2015
omonnakoda:
My mother is a disease. She will wake up with diseases and go to bed with diseases. Diseases will never leave her side. When she dies, disease will follow us and our house for ever

Eyah!! Lmfao!!!!

Am an african btw. And I was talking about africans generally not you.
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by omonnakoda: 3:40pm On May 04, 2015
Esdb3:

Eyah!! Lmfao!!!!

Am an african btw. And I was talking about africans generally not you.
Go and bury your mother,
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by Esdb3: 3:55pm On May 04, 2015
omonnakoda:

I have Gone and buried my mother,

Good of you! Now it remains you.
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by boladez(m): 7:15pm On May 04, 2015
Naijiant:
To give Madam Due Process her due, she was terrible!

Oby Ezekwesili, one time minister for education and minister for solid minerals under the Obasanjo regime, aka “Madam Due Process”, and lately the frontwoman for the Bring Back Our Girls campaign, went “Head to Head” on Al Jazeera with Mehdi Hasan at the Oxford Union.

More details + video:
http://www.naijiant.com/videos/from-madam-due-process-to-madam-public-embarrassment/

Poster your topic shows you did not watch the full video!...or probably had issues with understanding the discourse!
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by Naijiant: 8:11pm On May 04, 2015
boladez:

Poster your topic shows you did not watch the full video!...or probably had issues with understanding the discourse!
You must mistake me for Oby Ezekwesili who had problems understanding what "political class" meant.
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by boladez(m): 8:33pm On May 04, 2015
Naijiant:

You must mistake me for Oby Ezekwesili who had problems understanding what "political class" meant.

There is a local angle and a standard angle to it. It is not a yes or no question and did you note that the Interviewer was hounding her and trying to place words in her mouth.......did you notice she was firm and coherent and turned the tables around in the end?

She was applauded severally by the audience and the Interviewer also acknowledged her achievements. How did she disgrace herself?
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by Naijiant: 8:51pm On May 04, 2015
boladez:

There is a local angle and a standard angle to it. It is not a yes or no question and did you note that the Interviewer was hounding her and trying to place words in her mouth.......did you notice she was firm and coherent and turned the tables around in the end?

She was applauded severally by the audience and the Interviewer also acknowledged her achievements. How did she disgrace herself?

They were speaking English. She didn't know what "political class" meant in English.

She was incoherent most of the time and tried to mask it with bluster.

I didn't pay much attention to the audience. My interest was in the questions and the answers. You seem to be more interested in whether the audience approved. "Do not trust to the cheering, for those persons would shout as much if you and I were going to be hanged." -Oliver Cromwell

How she disgraced herself is explained in the link already posted.
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by boladez(m): 9:50pm On May 04, 2015
Naijiant:

They were speaking English. She didn't know what "political class" meant in English.

I have said before that there is an International and local part to it....not a yes or no answer.....cultural difference! The Interviewer was hounding her and taking words out of her mouth and pushing his words into it. He did not allow her to explain what she meant....cutting her off rudely

Again, at the initial stage the interviewer was hounding her! He did not allow her to complete sentences and tried to put words into her mouth! At a point i felt the interviewer was unnecessarily rude and antagonistic

I didn't pay much attention to the audience. My interest was in the questions and the answers. Hypocricy is the practice of claiming to have higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case.
You seem to be more interested in whether the audience approved. "Do not trust to the cheering, for those persons would shout as much if you and I were going to be hanged." -Oliver Cromwell

"Vox populi, vox Dei" - The usage indicates that the phrase had long since become an aphorism of common political wisdom by Alcuin and Charlemagne's time. This is the essence and foundation of democracy. The audience you should note was not and could not have been a man on the street. I recognise one of the people who asked the question as a GM in a Multinational Oil company in Nigeria!

I will analyse your thoughts in your blog which I disagree with and tell you why I disagree in another post
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by boladez(m): 6:55am On May 05, 2015
Naijiant:

I didn't pay much attention to the audience. My interest was in the questions and the answers. You seem to be more interested in whether the audience approved. "Do not trust to the cheering, for those persons would shout as much if you and I were going to be hanged." -Oliver Cromwell

She tripped herself up several times. One minute she claimed Nigeria lacked “capacity” in relation to fighting Boko Haram, the next she said we are not a “weak country”. Erm.. if you “lack capacity” you must be “weak”!

[b]Check around 4.32 of the video She said the problem was the GOVERNANCE of the security institution and went further to say the issue was the CAPACITATING the armed forces which has CAPACITY. (this means a gun is deadly but a weakling behind the trigger makes the gun weak and useless…an indirect reference to the weak FGN) She clearly had to separate the Strong armed forces from the weak FGN! No controversy, no tripping…only clear to the impartial and the open minded She was going further to refer to the changing capacity and was explaining when the rude interviewer butted in with the comment on the gov of borno state!...she also mentioned in the next answer that Nigeria is a strong country (obviously under a weak government!)
Check 5.21 the interviewer said she contradicted herself and she said with emphasis…..not lack of capacity but lack of capacitating capacity…the guy was obviously not listening and not understanding

Let me draw your attention to the unprofessional conduct of the interviewer when he asked the question on human right abuses (around 7.00) She clearly said the allegations of abuses needs to be further investigated by Nigerian govt and she obviously was not willing to condemn the entire Nigerian Military operations because of specific instances! The interviewer was asking her if the military was guilty or not guilty!......Not all things in life are yes or no. The fact that HRW, US, UK UN pick a few videos and generalise does not make our own army bad. This is Africa and in military operations you kill or be killed. You cannot generalise from a few incidents.

[/b]
She claimed she was not a politician and did not belong to the “political class” – despite holding at least two ministerial positions! The woman didn’t seem to know that those positions are political and once you held them, you belong to the political class!

Definition of politician - a person who is professionally involved in politics, especially as a holder of an elected office.
Definition of Political Elite - The political elite are the most informed, educated and politically active people who have a strong influence on public official
Indeed the interviewer and yourself do not know the above definitions which you can google and check !. She said I am a Political elite because I cannot be part of the lowly populace with my exposure and education!...however I am NOT a politician and I do not belong to a political party or have to dance at a village square! Check 8.5 to 9.00! Oby was right and she knew what she was saying! Very funny the unexposed interviewer was even being sarcastic about it!...The disgrace and shame was on him!

She was nailed to the cross with the questions quoting former Economic and Financial Crimes Commission boss Nuhu Ribadu’s Wikileaks comments in which he stated that Obasanjo was very corrupt, and his regime was more corrupt than Abacha’s. Ezekwesili squirmed, tried evasion, tried bluster and never coherently dealt with the issues. She was a useful tool for laundering the image of the very corrupt Obasanjo and part of the a very corrupt government.

[b]Nailed to which Cross?.....She is an exemplary lady…she refused to be dragged to the low level of name calling and sensationalism that rules in Nigeria. One of the issues with Nigerian elites is that they have found joy in gutter life and beer palour not bar life. Even Seun Kuti who is living off his father’s popularity and relevance …after smoking igbo is also taking Ill of Madam Oby ….unfortunately most of the literate and well-read people have joined the fray. Speaking to an International audience on a satellite network is different from discussing over a bottle of 33 export beer in a local joint. You can’t accuse or judge people without empirical evidence! The laws of the land abhor it
The low level street man sees everyone in government or anyone who can afford a new house and car as a thief! That is the Igbo (hemp), mentality. The fact that MANY police officers are corrupt does not mean ALL are corrupt. The fact that some American soldiers were abusive in Iraq does not mean ALL American soldiers are abusive!
Let us think like scholars and literate people….The Nigerian Legal system unfortunately is a replica of UK Judicial system as our colonial masters. Everyman is innocent until proven guilty (not by gutter , beer palour talk but by a competent judge!) When did Ribadu become a judge? Is it not the same Ribadu that said Tinubu’s corruption case was of International dimension, he said Tinubu will face the full wrath of the law only to turn around a few years after to extoll the virtues of the same man and contest as a presidential candidate under Tinubu’s party. Ribadu has shown over the last few years that he is not consistent and may not have much of integrity as he claims he does. Why would Oby declare OBJ corrupt on account of the testimony of an unstable fellow like Ribadu?
Bode George who went to jail has been pardoned and no man should call him a convict because the law has discharged and aquitted him. He may be judged further in a moral court. If you call a man corrupt on International TV without evidence to substantiate your facts you may go down with a suit of defamation of character or libel.
Oby did the right thing by not allowing that immature boy of an interviewer to hound her into condemning a man based on sensationalism. She asked for empirical evidence and the only thing the boy could refer to was TI ranking that did not rank OBASANJO as a person but his Government ,WikiLeaks an illegal source of information! From an unstable fellow! She asked him to invite Ribadu and she did not mention the fact that Ribadu was unstable.
As educated people we should sit on our backside and think with the head not the other way round!
[/b]

The session just went downhill from there.

You can see a half cup of water as half-filled or half empty depending on the way you want to see it. I feel the interview went up beat in favour of Oby from that point. With the boy throwing tantrums in his questioning.

A gentleman from Borno asked how poor provision of education was a factor in the spread of Boko Haram in the area. And Ezekwesili, who was once minister for education, tried to blame the man for not contributing to educating his people. It was embarrassing to watch.

Maybe I am being too Nigerian! But the Borno gentleman (Garba Sanni ) 34.18 asked Oby why the OBJ regime did not solve the educational problems of the Borno area where he was born and bred (A direct attack on the OBJ administration and Oby as Education minister) Her answer was direct and clear. Anyone who cares would know that the State and LGs are primary in charge of Basic education and her answer was clearly that POVERTY ALLEVIATION AND EDUCATIONAL ENHANCEMENT NEEDED MORE THAN THE INTERVENTION OF THE FGN ! she enumerated the fact that the State and LG take 50% of the allocations. Her challenge to the guy was …why sit and abuse FGN lazily when the state and LG are there to hold on to. Simple! And makes sense.

Her responses to the role of the World Bank, where she was a vice president, in Third World poverty were what James Brown would describe as “talking loud and saying nothing”. When the criticism of the bank from former vice president Joseph Stiglitz was put to her, she jumped in claiming he was her “friend”. As if name dropping made any difference to the point.

It was meant to prove that no personal in her strong response! It made a difference.

She rounded up her show of shame with some baloney about establishing an “office of the citizen”. How about asking that education ministers actually did their jobs in providing education for all, rather then expecting the citizens to do it by themselves?

You have refused to understand her point and her point was …carry people along in the process of governance! Don’t sit in a big government office and decide what is good for the people without involving the same people!

You really must wonder how far standards have dropped in Nigeria when people like Ezekwesili are held up as the way forward.

Indeed standards have dropped if people who are not open or allow their personal opinions to affect independent blogging. There are no standards in profiling or just sensationalising. Blogging is not gossiping or an outlet for dripping personal vendetta it is a mature business!
There was a disconnect between the boy who interviewed her who was so much in a hurry to show he can talk but was immature and unreasonable in his questioning and a serious minded executive who had intellectual things to say

Oby had a very good outing and I am proud of her as a Nigerian
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by Naijiant: 7:20pm On May 05, 2015
Political class, or political elite is a concept in comparative political science originally developed by Italian political theorist theory of Gaetano Mosca (1858–1941). It refers to the relatively small group of activists that is highly aware and active in politics, and from whom the national leadership is largely drawn. As Max Weber noted, they not only live "for politics"—like the old notables used to—but make their careers "off politics" as policy specialists and experts on specific fields of public administration.[1] Mosca approached the study of the political class by examining the mechanisms of reproduction and renewal of the ruling class; the characteristics of politicians; and the different forms of organization developed in their wielding of power.
Wikipedia.

She said she did not belong to the political class.
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by omonnakoda: 6:40am On May 06, 2015
Naijiant:
Political class, or political elite is a concept in comparative political science originally developed by Italian political theorist theory of Gaetano Mosca (1858–1941). It refers to the relatively small group of activists that is highly aware and active in politics, and from whom the national leadership is largely drawn. As Max Weber noted, they not only live "for politics"—like the old notables used to—but make their careers "off politics" as policy specialists and experts on specific fields of public administration.[1] Mosca approached the study of the political class by examining the mechanisms of reproduction and renewal of the ruling class; the characteristics of politicians; and the different forms of organization developed in their wielding of power.
Wikipedia.

She said she did not belong to the political class.

This is a LIE.She said she is "part of the political elite class" but not a politician

1 Like

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Disgraces Herself At Oxford! by boladez(m): 8:24am On May 06, 2015
omonnakoda:

This is a LIE.She said she is "part of the political elite class" but not a politician

Thank you and God bless you , that small immature and unprofessional boy who interviewed her was just pushing words into her mouth. Our people dont appreciate knowledge and good things and are too lazy to search for the truth!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians: Cameroon Troops Burned Our Village, Forced Us Out- Associated Press / Fayose Promises To Pay Workers Who Are Not On strike / Omisore Begins Campaign In Aregbesola’s Town

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.