Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,858 members, 7,872,855 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 12:25 AM

Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. (3388 Views)

Parents Bury Their Child's Legs In The Ground In Benue State. See Why. Photos / 8 People With Horns (viewers Discretion Strongly Advised) / Should I Have Allowed Her? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by Nobody: 1:15pm On May 04, 2015
Why do we spend this much money on funerals
Why must people break the bank ,go a-begging and a-borrowing in order to bury a dead relative?
Why do Nigerians think this way ?
A relative dies leaving nothing to his name and the living have to go through hell just to put the person into the ground.

A relative I love so much called me asking for monetary help to bury her sister ( they are my dad's cousins)
I would have felt better if she was asking me money with which to pay her rent or feed herself since she is now retired
But money for a funeral?
For a sister that has children?
I will send it because I love my aunt, but it is such a waste IMHO
What exactly do they intend to do there?
If you didn't keep anything for your funeral,why should the living go through this much stress to bury you?

I appeal to the younger generation,this stupidity must stop
Don't carry on this ignorance of the generations before you
There is no common sense behind it

Please voice your opinion,I am getting sick and tired of all this hoopla over funerals.
People have even turned it into business ventures here in the USA
Doing fund raisers for family members they never gave a dime to when they were alive

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by Alexk2(m): 1:31pm On May 04, 2015
I wish they'll hear you. There is simply no sense in such wasteful spending....and to know that most of such dead persons didnt enjoy while living; some died poor but caskets will cost thousands.
Smh for ppl's folly!

2 Likes

Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by FynBabe(f): 1:32pm On May 04, 2015
I love the muslim's way of burial. They don't do all these things. I wish christians can learn to bury in the muslim way and the money spending would become a thing of the past.

1 Like

Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by thorpido(m): 2:11pm On May 04, 2015
^^^^It's not a Christian thing,it's a Nigerian thing.Who says muslims don't spend a lot of money too.They have the 7th day and 40th day ceremonies where they can spend as much as they want.

I didn't understand the financial implications of this until i had to bury my dad.You lose a loved one and you still have to 'lose' your money. Part of your expenses sometimes include buying equipments for the church that will conduct the service.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by Nobody: 2:49pm On May 04, 2015
Yep, sis rant all u can o cheesy

I just finished with mine or should I say, I'm still ranting.
We just finished with one last two weeks.
Did we spend money?
Yep,in millions.
Now what was d money used for is d question.
Mind u,it was a one day thing.

Let me break it down.
These r not within d bugdet giving to us by our people.
The priest conducting d rite said not less than 100k. According to him, this is a big man so big money should be paid on his behalf.
Even d 100k, he wasn't happy. Just reluctantly collected it.

All of us where made to pay tithe levy by d same church again. That they can't find our name.
Now, reverend said we should support his wife's program.
Hope u r counting.

Then, money distribution in envelopes. In thousands to more than 10 groups.
Infact, at d end of d day, we spend extra 200% from d initial budget.

I don rant tire.
See useless demands.

The thing never give me mouth to talk.
Do u know at d end of the day we were fined.
The obi and his cabinet members said we overdecorated the room and bed.
Wetin concern us with decoration?
That we... I no fit rant again.
Our fine was in thousands too.
Meanwhile our uncle is the second iin command at d palace and all of them where present.
After eating and drinking, they now fined us.

So check;me and u who suppose rant?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by Nobody: 3:01pm On May 04, 2015
When your parents starts ageing you start saving. The truth is in our society from times past till now nobody will like his/her parents to be buried the same way they died.

1 Like

Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by bukatyne(f): 3:06pm On May 04, 2015
Ecclesiastes 6: 3

A man might have a hundred children and live to be very old. But if he finds no satisfaction in life and doesn't even get a decent burial, it would have been better for him to be born dead.

Maybe they are trying to obey this injunction grin

Their definition of 'decent' is the bone of contention here.

2 Likes

Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by Nobody: 3:14pm On May 04, 2015
I totally agree with you, in fact I discussed something like this sometime ago with my dad. He told me in the olden days, people don't die the way they do now they die at a very old age and then it's more of celebration and jubilation. As a matter of fact burial ceremony then brings families together, a family can record just one death in 14 years and that's why they mourn people up to a year unlike now that people die like fowls everyday both young, old, sick and healthy.

Imagine a situation whereby people no longer cry for the death of their love ones rather they cry because of lack of money for burial.
We really need to do something about this.

4 Likes

Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by Nobody: 3:27pm On May 04, 2015
It pains me more than you @babyosisi.
I went to the village over the weekend, I saw some guest that came to see my FIL, they came with serious drinks o. When I asked my MIL 'who dey marry?', she said marry ke, he came to break the news of his mother's death.

I was like wtf With wine and palmwine...lmao!
How the burial go come be na?? angry

It's a serious matter_very serious... and some people would still be dragging food on the burial day. Can you imagine'
Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by deriod(m): 3:37pm On May 04, 2015
African needs to start changing some of the so called culture &traditions ,how do you explain a man dat died of hunger/malnutrition bin buried with 5 /10 cows ,million of naira wasted for nothing ,African like to show off unnecessarily.I pray we get it right soon ,Africans needs total reevaluation.

5 Likes

Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by Nobody: 3:55pm On May 04, 2015
Nne, you're so right.... Most times when people die, relatives cry not because they miss the person but because of the huge amount they ll spend for the funeral. Then, some cry profusely because they don't even hv money at all and would hv to borrow. . So ridiculous I tell u grin

People will tell you they're so broke at the moment cos of the funeral they're arranging or just had... Some struggle to survive after funeral cos of the huge amt of money spent...

The most annoying part is the huge demand from umuada, umunna, even church members...

If you can afford a big funeral, fine but the general demands from the likes of umuada, kindred, umunna,, church members etc should change biko, then if anyone feels like overdoing, fine....

1 Like

Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by Nobody: 3:59pm On May 04, 2015
softysparky:
I totally agree with you, in fact I discussed something like this sometime ago with my dad. He told me in the olden days, people don't die the way they do now they die at a very old age and then it's more of celebration and jubilation. As a matter of fact burial ceremony then brings families together, a family can record just one death in 14 years and that's why they mourn people up to a year unlike now that people die like fowls everyday both young, old, sick and healthy.
Are you really sure people die more now than they used to back then? Coz records show that mortality rate has reduced drastically with the recent improvement in health facilities and hospital in the country. undecided

FriedPlantain

2 Likes

Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by Nobody: 4:15pm On May 04, 2015
FriedPlantain:
Are you really sure people die more now than they used to back then? Coz records show that mortality rate has reduced drastically with the recent improvement in health facilities and hospital in the country. undecided

FriedPlantain
Then mostly old people die and it always come as a shock and scary unlike now death is very common.
Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by Nobody: 4:16pm On May 04, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
I went to the village over the weekend, I saw some guest that came to see my FIL, they came with serious drinks o. When I asked my MIL 'who dey marry?', she said marry ke, he came to break the news of his mother's death.

It's a serious matter_very serious... and some people would still be dragging food on the burial day. Can you imagine'
Imagine, drinking on top bad news.

WTF.
Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by ErepaTV: 4:21pm On May 04, 2015
No burial is cheap. Even in Europe..

1 Like

Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by ladygogo: 4:31pm On May 04, 2015
I'm not a fan of this nonsense either. Its a waste of money.

The Northern muslims need to be emulated when it comes to burials.
Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by ladygogo: 4:32pm On May 04, 2015
FynBabe:
I love the muslim's way of burial. They don't do all these things. I wish christians can learn to bury in the muslim way and the money spending would become a thing of the past.

Yoruba muslims beg to differ. grin

3 Likes

Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by FynBabe(f): 4:38pm On May 04, 2015
Really? I thought being muslim was the same every where irrespective of tribe o!
ladygogo:

Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by ladygogo: 4:42pm On May 04, 2015
FynBabe:
Really? I thought being muslim was the same every where irrespective of tribe o!

lol. The boogie down begins after the 8th or 7th fidau prayer. grin

1 Like

Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by Esdb3: 4:52pm On May 04, 2015
babyosisi:
Why do we spend this much money on funerals
Why must people break the bank ,go a-begging and a-borrowing in order to bury a dead relative?
Why do Nigerians think this way ?
A relative dies leaving nothing to his name and the living have to go through hell just to put the person into the ground.

A relative I love so much called me asking for monetary help to bury her sister ( they are my dad's cousins)
I would have felt better if she was asking me money with which to pay her rent or feed herself since she is now retired
But money for a funeral?
For a sister that has children?
I will send it because I love my aunt, but it is such a waste IMHO
What exactly do they intend to do there?
If you didn't keep anything for your funeral,why should the living go through this much stress to bury you?

I appeal to the younger generation,this stupidity must stop
Don't carry on this ignorance of the generations before you
There is no common sense behind it

Please voice your opinion,I am getting sick and tired of all this hoopla over funerals.
People have even turned it into business ventures here in the USA
Doing fund raisers for family members they never gave a dime to when they were alive

It is to show how much the fellow was loved and how happy they are that he will make heaven and rest somewhere else. You just want copy the whites in everything! Ha. Ha! Smh..... It won't stop because we are not them, it is what makes us 'us'. Do you know there is a place in the world where before they settle a grudge they fight publicly and then share drinks to people? They are themselves that is how they are. Because white people are on the global scene does not make them right.
Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by sexymoma(f): 4:53pm On May 04, 2015
It depends ooo
My mum didn't have the intention of spending on her dad's funeral buh after four years or there about sha
She told us she do see her dad in her dream asking her to give him his rites...
She told the elders in our fams nd they told them to perform his burial rites..

Then on the other hand people bliv that will be the last respect given to such person
Imagine someone whose his/her has done so much for... The person would go extra mile to give her the last respect she deserves.

But to me i see no reason in spending too much on
"White wedding"
"birthday"
Sometimes i wonder why they cook at Naming Ceremonies

1 Like

Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by Esdb3: 4:55pm On May 04, 2015
FynBabe:

Obviously you don't know what you are saying. Muslims are crying for their own practice to be changed. You call wrapping a loved one in white cloth and putting them in the ground without a coffin a 'practice'. What about cases where the presumed dead awakens days after.
Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by Esdb3: 4:58pm On May 04, 2015
moca:

Did we spend money?
Yep,in millions.

Let me break it down.
The priest conducting d rite said not less than 100k. According to him, this is a big man so big money should be paid on his behalf.

All of us where made to pay tithe levy by d same church again. That they can't find our name.
Hope u r counting.

I don rant tire.
See useless demands.

Meanwhile our uncle is the second iin command at d palace and all of them where present.

You wish to, if my parents die, you think I'll do all these? Sure I pray they grow old and I'll celebrate them. But me pay all the above ehn? Iffa hear.........

1 Like

Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by Esdb3: 5:01pm On May 04, 2015
deriod:
African needs to start changing some of the so called culture &traditions ,how do you explain a man dat died of hunger/malnutrition bin buried with 5 /10 cows ,million of naira wasted for nothing ,African like to show off unnecessarily.I pray we get it right soon ,Africans needs total reevaluation.

You need to be realistic cause a man that dies of malnutrition has never been buried with 5 to 10 cows haha!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by Esdb3: 5:02pm On May 04, 2015
ladygogo:
I'm not a fan of this nonsense either. Its a waste of money.

The Northern muslims need to be emulated when it comes to burials.

God forbid!!!! The whites can be emulated not the northern muslims
Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by aolatunde00: 5:20pm On May 04, 2015
I'm yet to see what will convince me to spend so much on anyone"s burial o(my parents inclusive).
For starters I don't believe in contributing money to the burial party of anyone who's dead.Pls do whatever your personal purse can afford and let it be Pls.why inconvenience the living(myself) for someone that's dead already??I don't understand it and I certainly don't support it.
The only giving im going to be doing is giving something to the little or aged ones left behind by the deceased.

1 Like

Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by damiso(f): 5:29pm On May 04, 2015
I kinda agree to an extent about spending money that is non existent or people going Into debt. But if the deceased was looked after and its not a strain on their finances why not?

I used to think it was a Nigerian or African thing until I attended the burial of my friend's English grandmother. They did not cook like we would cook but these people spent over £5,000 on flowers shocked shocked shocked .flower that will die The coffin nko? The whole funeral cost over £20,000 and all we ate was sandwiches and sausage rolls cheesy

The main difference though is that slightly more well to do white people tend to save towards their funerals so as not to over burden their children or loved ones.

Poor people everywhere struggle with funeral costs and for some people in the UK the local authority has to come to the family's aid for people to be buried. The average costs of a UK funeral i.e a burial or cremation, is £3,456. Non well to do people who will cook and do party in Nigeria might not spend that much. I don't I spent up to that when my dad died.(Muslim burial though and my dad hated parties)

Our own pomp and pageantry though is not necessarily associated to the actual costs of laying to the earth or cremation so I guess that's where culture comes to play.

4 Likes

Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by damiso(f): 5:41pm On May 04, 2015
ladygogo:

grin grin :Dby the time you do ita(3 day prayer) 7 day Fidau,41 days etc etc the costs go just dey pile up.

They even yii eyin oku pada(turn the corpse back ) like seriously cheesy corpse that has already decomposed.

1 Like

Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by Nobody: 6:48pm On May 04, 2015
moca:

Did we spend money?
Yep,in millions.

Let me break it down.

Hope u r counting.

I don rant tire.
See useless demands.

The one about our traditional churches fleecing the family is the most painful
My husband's mentor passed away and the grieving wife and children were asked by the vicar to pay in about 100k down for starters as backlog for tithes.
They negotiated it to 20K then the man gave them his personal account to pay it in and the grieving wife did.
Thinking that was the end
Then the list arrived
Some tens of thousands for church building fund
Tens of thousands for school
Tens of thousands for a special window for church
Money for air conditioner
Money to put marble somewhere in the church over 200K
Tens of thousands for parsonage refurbishing
Food and take away food for about 7 men of God including the vicar,deacons plus their wives and 30 choristers
And envelopes with generous donations for all officiating ministers about 7 in number ,this was the only one without a specified amount but they said it must be a generous gift.

By the time we calculated all this,without the envelope money,it was running into millions of naira

They haven't factored in money for casket
Decorations
Pall bearers
Caterers etc
Dem never buy and sew asho ebi
And the children still had to buy tickets to travel home to naija

I said na wa.
It looks like the list quadruples when the family is in Obodo Oyibo

If I were them,I will just bypass the church and find one pentecostal minister and erect canopy in the compound

3 Likes

Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by Nobody: 6:51pm On May 04, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

That is standard o
There are people that if you don't carry wine to go and inform of the death,they won't show up for the burial and say that they were not informed.its now that bad
Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by Nobody: 6:51pm On May 04, 2015
Abi o . I hate that practice, and its often dose that don't spend on the deceased while he/ she was alive dat spend d most after his/ her death. I don't even like to eat burial foods, its always irritating to me
Re: Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. by Nobody: 6:55pm On May 04, 2015
qbd2:
Abi o . I hate that practice, and its often dose that don't spend on the deceased while he/ she was alive dat spend d most after his/ her death. I don't even like to eat burial foods, its always irritating to me

I have eaten at burials and funerals because they keep you there for so long and you get hungry
You have to eat na

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

7 Tips/ Reasons To Save Your Marriage And Don't Divorce / Thinking Of Raising A Family? Know Your Blood Rhesus Factor / True Talk.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.