Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,357 members, 7,950,752 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 09:04 PM

How To Build A Professional Network From Unconventional Places - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Build A Professional Network From Unconventional Places (408 Views)

6 Places To Work If You Want Access To Drive Different Cars Daily / Places That Pay Police Officers The Highest And Lowest Salaries Around The World / Help: I Need A Computer Programmer Who Would Build Social Network From My Ideas. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Build A Professional Network From Unconventional Places by Appswheel(m): 5:53pm On May 04, 2015

Long before data became king, I had a penchant for keeping information. This may not have been so without my father, who taught his children the importance of good record keeping.

On a fateful day, I was confronted by Cynthia, the tallest girl in my class, “What is it you want to do with my name”? Before I could put my thoughts together in response to her question, “What do you want to do with my name” had become a chorus and a practical demonstration of the law of equilibrium. There was no better way to experience Newton’s law of motion than being pulled by near equal forces from opposite directions.

I eventually pulled some Jackie Chan stunts to get loose from my accuser’s grip and saved my explanation for my male friends who cared to listen to my account: the thought that some of my classmates would leave for secondary school from Primary 5 made me keep a record of all their names in one of my jotters.

Today, the importance of data and networking is trending and they have become synonymous with successful businesses and social media initiatives.

Many years after my experience with primary 5B girls (1998 set) at Sacred Heart Nursery and Primary School, not much has changed about ladies and the significance they attach to their social information.

Each time I board the Bus Rapid Transport (BRT) to work, I carefully select who I sit next to. Before I reach my destination, I find a way to initiate a conversation and round it up with “I will like to meet you again. The next time we meet, we should not be strangers. Can I have your mobile contact, LinkedIn profile URL or your social media name?”

This approach was inspired after reading a thought-provoking article by Richard Branson where he argued that a lot of networking and business opportunities are missed when individuals stay glued to their electronic devices in transit and at events, and fail to engage the people around them. He recalled business opportunities he sealed via contacts made during flights and pointed out that the device will remain but the opportunity to meet some individuals might only come once.

On request for their contact information, 90% of ladies respond with, “don’t worry”, or “there is no need”. To one I replied, “You don’t know who I am” and she responded.... Continue reading

(1) (Reply)

Learn The Five Most Sabotaging Job Interview Mistakes / Salaries / Registration Is Still On For Ukrainian Universties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.