Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,583 members, 7,892,405 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 July 2024 at 11:15 AM

Idu Uno: What Do You Get VS What You Gave? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Idu Uno: What Do You Get VS What You Gave? (2183 Views)

Woman Who Gave Birth To Triplets Dies (Photos) / My Aunty Gave Me Her Breast Milk To Drink: Right Or Wrong? / Pastor Gave Fake Prophecy That Destroyed My Marriage Of 10 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Idu Uno: What Do You Get VS What You Gave? by Nobody: 3:58am On May 06, 2015
So I just finished reading the textbook of a bridal list in this page https://www.nairaland.com/2285910/imo-state-mandatory-bride-prize.

While I was about to remind myself why I decided a long time ago not to marry an Igbo girl due to matters such as this (also because beautiful girls are everywhere so why submit yourself to evil?), someone made mention that they always send-off the bride (Idu-Uno).

First of all, every wedding everywhere gets the new couple seen off with gifts, so I'm not sure why they feel the need to make mention of this as if it's something special and as if takes away from the fact that these textbooks are prepostrous.

But maybe their own really is special, so I would like someone to help us bachelors clear the air... WHAT DOES the new couple get back from this Idu uno? For those that married, what did you provide and what did you get back? Ratio?

And please don't come up here with some foolishness about how "I got a priceless wife back" or something that daft because by doing so you devalue yourself. I'm tired of seeing brothas who don't value themselves enough to see themselves as priceless gifts just as well. These things are not one way.

Now let's hear your ratios
Re: Idu Uno: What Do You Get VS What You Gave? by HMAccessories: 4:00am On May 06, 2015
This should be interesting.
Re: Idu Uno: What Do You Get VS What You Gave? by Nobody: 8:31am On May 06, 2015
You've made a decision not to marry an Igbo gal, so why are you concerned about idu uno? undecided

Anyway as the groom, you've no business with 'idu uno' as the family of the bride takes care of everything pertaining to idu uno..

Idu uno is a kinda send forth....

2 Likes

Re: Idu Uno: What Do You Get VS What You Gave? by soopamom: 10:58am On May 06, 2015
ebonflex:
So I just finished reading the textbook of a bridal list in this page https://www.nairaland.com/2285910/imo-state-mandatory-bride-prize.

While I was about to remind myself why I decided a long time ago not to marry an Igbo girl due to matters such as this (also because beautiful girls are everywhere so why submit yourself to evil?), someone made mention that they always send-off the bride (Idu-Uno).

First of all, every wedding everywhere gets the new couple seen off with gifts, so I'm not sure why they feel the need to make mention of this as if it's something special and as if takes away from the fact that these textbooks are prepostrous.

But maybe their own really is special, so I would like someone to help us bachelors clear the air... WHAT DOES the new couple get back from this Idu uno? For those that married, what did you provide and what did you get back? Ratio?

And please don't come up here with some foolishness about how "I got a priceless wife back" or something that daft because by doing so you devalue yourself. I'm tired of seeing brothas who don't value themselves enough to see themselves as priceless gifts just as well. These things are not one way.

Now let's hear your ratios
Dude, if you are looking for return on investment, open up a saloon or supermarket or something. Stop asking half assed questions when you obviously have no respect / understanding of culture/tradition.
Re: Idu Uno: What Do You Get VS What You Gave? by Nobody: 1:02pm On May 06, 2015
Both of you can either help answer the simple question or give way for more intelligent people to answer. The information given here will help guys understand this process more and help calm the nerves of guys who are currently in romantic relations with igbo girls and are considering marriage.

For the Igbos here, this is your chance to amicably show that igbo culture is not all about "taking" as this is the major fear with most guys.
Re: Idu Uno: What Do You Get VS What You Gave? by VintageCocktail(m): 3:22pm On May 06, 2015
Well, it depends on the financial capability of the brides family, after getting your heartthrob some may also give you cars, buildings ,lands, properties, or household appliances such as deep freezer...cooker, stove,microwave, fans , furniture, cooking utensils and may more to mention but a few to take care of their child to ensure that she didn't suffer.

What we were given during our wedding brought tears to my eyes, it seems as if they were presuming that I ain't got any bed...foam to sleep on, even pot to cook too. My house got transformed from a bachelor's pad to a matrimonial home after the wedding.

@ ebonflex, your stance is offensive for someone who is looking for answers, I suggest you the delete the above post if indeed you want an intelligent discourse.
Re: Idu Uno: What Do You Get VS What You Gave? by Nobody: 3:46pm On May 06, 2015
VintageCocktail:
Well, it depends on the financial capability of the brides family, some may give cars, buildings ,lands, properties, or household appliances such as deep freezer...cooker, stove,microwave fans , furniture, cooking utensils and may more to mention but a few.

What we were given during our wedding brought tears to my eyes, it seems as if they were presuming that I ain't got any bed...foam to sleep on, even pot to cook too. My house got transformed from a bachelor's pad to a matrimonial home after the wedding.

@ ebonflex, your stance is offensive for someone who is looking for answers, I suggest you the delete the above post if indeed you want an intelligent discourse.

Okay this is informative. Thanks.

The above post were responses to the other two who simply came on here to mis-talk.
Edited to be less abrasive.
Re: Idu Uno: What Do You Get VS What You Gave? by Nobody: 4:05pm On May 06, 2015
VintageCocktail:
Well, it depends on the financial capability of the brides family, after getting your heartthrob some may also give you cars, buildings ,lands, properties, or household appliances such as deep freezer...cooker, stove,microwave, fans , furniture, cooking utensils and may more to mention but a few to take care of their child to ensure that she didn't suffer.

What if you already have all these things and your house is furnished to taste.
Must it come in these forms or can the monetary value be received instead?
Thanks.
Re: Idu Uno: What Do You Get VS What You Gave? by VintageCocktail(m): 4:20pm On May 06, 2015
ebonflex:

What if you already have all these things and your house is furnished to taste.
Must it come in these forms or can the monetary value be received instead?
Thanks.
Those are gifts from your in laws not a business investment/negotiation because you are getting married to their daughter. They ain't selling the lass, bro. This is different from the gift presented to the couple by the wedding guests. Nobody negotiates gift because you don't know what you will be given, it is left for you to sell it if you don't need it. If you need business investment the brother in law may put you through some ventures.~<> winks.

The said marriage list isn't even enormous if truth be told, just because it has been said all over that marrying an Igbo girl is expensive doesn't mean it is true. It is the fanfare most people attach to it, ......asoebi, settling your club and committee of friends etc, the most important people involved don't even require much.
Re: Idu Uno: What Do You Get VS What You Gave? by Nobody: 4:34pm On May 06, 2015
ebonflex:
Both of you can either help answer the simple question or give way for more intelligent people to answer. The information given here will help guys understand this process more and help calm the nerves of guys who are currently in romantic relations with igbo girls and are considering marriage.

For the Igbos here, this is your chance to amicably show that igbo culture is not all about "taking" as this is the major fear with most guys.

Mr man if you don't want to marry and Ibo woman, not our business. Actually, we don't have anythibg to prove to you. For one 'you' who doesn't want an Ibi wife there are 10 others who are desperate for them.

A woman doesn't have to 'justify' why she should be married and you should not be looking to 'gain' from your prospective in-laws.

I can itemize everyything I got from my family when I got married, but it doesn't change anything.

With this type of attitude, my ibo sisters are better off without you.
Re: Idu Uno: What Do You Get VS What You Gave? by 5minsmadness: 4:39pm On May 06, 2015
Bros dey vex grin
Re: Idu Uno: What Do You Get VS What You Gave? by Nobody: 4:46pm On May 06, 2015
ebonflex:

And YES we don't 'give' our daughter out easily because we know what we put into them to make them good wives.

An Ibo girl is groomed from BIRTH to attend to the whims and caprises of her husband. She is taught respect, cooking, how to nurture e.t.c

There is no doubt that Ibo girls make the best wives and mothers. So yes, we won't just give her to you on a platter of gold. Because we know you are gaining a big asset for life!
Re: Idu Uno: What Do You Get VS What You Gave? by Nobody: 6:43am On May 07, 2015
Broke as$ Niggas everywhere... Looking for someone to build up an investment for him... SMH... When you should be talking about how to take care of your wife after marriage, you're here talking about gifts you're going to get from your in laws and whether it can be converted to money.. nawa oo, are you that broke?? undecided

No igbo gal will even near you with this your mindset...
Re: Idu Uno: What Do You Get VS What You Gave? by Nobody: 6:47am On May 07, 2015
ebonflex:

When any guy comes knocking, the family shall explain everything to him.. For now, this your thread is meaningless because you'll never open your mind to understand anything said here as your mind is clogged with negativity...
Re: Idu Uno: What Do You Get VS What You Gave? by veave(f): 10:39am On May 07, 2015
Nna lekwanu gold digger o... chai!
Re: Idu Uno: What Do You Get VS What You Gave? by Nobody: 3:59pm On May 07, 2015
Low self esteem niggas everywhere who do not also see themselves as precious investments. It's that same mindset that makes you all easy magas in that naija. You feel you have to "buy" your love. You feel "I am not enough". SMH its a pity.

Anyway, the floor is still open for intelligent people to share their experiences.

(1) (Reply)

Beauty And Health Benefits Of Raw Onions / A Nairalander, Gets Married To His Best Friend / Married Woman Caught Pants Down With Her Ex, Who Is Also Married(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.