Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,793 members, 7,889,588 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 03:53 PM

Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration (2521 Views)

Obasanjo Responsible For Yar'adua, Jonathan's Failures - Tunde Bakare / El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake / Obj Nominates 9 Ministers And Chief Of Staff For Yar'adua's Cabinet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by strangleyo: 2:58pm On Feb 08, 2009
Almost everyone missed a fact here. Money in the past was always spent, but never spent on what it was budgeted for in the first place. It was usually split amongst the big men.

The fact that this money is unspent, proves how bad our government is at actually spending money where it is needed. They are so used to looting that once they knew they couldn't loot it, they just didn't bother spending it because that might mean that someone would have to work hard.
Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by Kobojunkie: 3:03pm On Feb 08, 2009
strangleyo:

Almost everyone missed a fact here. Money in the past was always spent, but never spent on what it was budgeted for in the first place. It was usually split amongst the big men.

The fact that this money is unspent, proves how bad our government is at actually spending money where it is needed. They are so used to looting that once they knew they couldn't loot it, they just didn't bother spending it because that might mean that someone would have to work hard.
Out of 2500 Billion dollars, 2.1 billion was returned and you believe the above is the case? What happened to the 2497.8 Billion that was spent in the same year? What was the money spent on? Can we see it? Or did it end up in pockets across the country as well?
Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by strangleyo: 3:14pm On Feb 08, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Out of 2500 Billion dollars, 2.1 billion was returned and you believe the above is the case? What happened to the 2497.8 Billion that was spent in the same year? What was the money spent on? Can we see it? Or did it end up in pockets across the country as well?

That's a good question Kobo. What is the auditing process of our government? Who audits government expenditures?
Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by mustafar1: 3:37pm On Feb 08, 2009
they call refunding unstealable money progress! [s]im surprised the naysayers havent pitched their tent in here yet[/s].

by the way, hi Kobo, Hi StrangleYO
Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by Kobojunkie: 3:49pm On Feb 08, 2009
lol . . .  Happy Sunday ! @Must_a_far

Auditing government? Well, will not be shocked if some wise-guy comes in here to claim that is the job of the EFCC. lol. I am not entirely sure if auditing is part of accounts management in that country. We just released another 2700 billion or more for this year. Wonder if we will get 2.3 billion back in treasury at the end of the year. Only hope this time around the money be applied for good. Like that is new. Year after year, we continue to hope . . . man, this is depressing!
Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by Muza(m): 3:50pm On Feb 08, 2009
strangleyo:

That's a good question Kobo. What is the auditing process of our government? Who audits government expenditures?

the Auditor general is supposed to be doing that
Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by spikedcylinder: 3:52pm On Feb 08, 2009
The OP's sentiments are very similar to that of those who place adverts in the dailies praising thier Govenors and other politicians for constructing roads, bridges, schools etc to tell them a big THANK YOU.

How daft is that? Na their [the politicians] inheritance dem take build am? undecided
Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by mustafar1: 3:57pm On Feb 08, 2009
Kobojunkie:

lol . . .  Happy Sunday ! @Must_a_far

Auditing government? Well, will not be shocked if some wise-guy comes in here to claim that is the job of the EFCC. lol. I am not entirely sure if auditing is part of accounts management in that country. We just released another 2700 billion or more for this year. Wonder if we will get 2.3 billion back in treasury at the end of the year. Only hope this time around the money be applied for good. Like that is new. Year after year, we continue to hope . . . man, this is depressing!
[size=16pt]Year after year, we continue to hope . . . man, this is depressing![/size] HOPE ABUSE!

AUDITING! shocked shocked nobody in nigeria audits anything. yes some would be quick to jump at me and say but we have PWC, KPMG and the likes in naija. SIMPLY! they do everything else but auditing. nigeria doesnt have an audit culture, if not peope like me wont be outside nigerias shores. i can imagine them doing an audit on goverment, HEADS WOULD ROLL!
Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by strangleyo: 3:58pm On Feb 08, 2009
Muza:

the Auditor general is supposed to be doing that

Who does he answer to and who audits him? Who makes sure he doesn't receive bribes?

What is the involvement of independent auditing commissions on government projects? (NGOs, etc)
Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by Muza(m): 4:13pm On Feb 08, 2009
strangleyo:

Who does he answer to and who audits him? Who makes sure he doesn't receive bribes?

What is the involvement of independent auditing commissions on government projects? (NGOs, etc)
He answers to the president and remember the president is not supposed to be corrupt. . .
Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by mustafar1: 4:19pm On Feb 08, 2009
he really isnt meant to answer to the president, but with the way nigeria is setup presently. he or the agency would simply be used as a political tool (think efcc) and not for good governance. sad!
Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by strangleyo: 4:23pm On Feb 08, 2009
Muza:

He answers to the president and remember the president is not supposed to be corrupt. . .

But in many country even the president is audited, and his actions are closely watched.

So, basically there is no check for the Auditor General.

On paper in most functioning democracies the Auditor General has the power to audit ALL, including the president. However, the auditor general himself is watched by the police to make sure he is not taking bribes for his job.

So, ultimately there is no check whatsoever to make sure public funds aren't mis-used. None, at all. The auditor general gives clean reports for those who pay top bribes, the EFCC has its hands tied by the president, and the police (justice department) doesn't actually function at all. And we all know that.

Nice, i think that's the way to go and industrialize a country.
Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by mustafar1: 4:33pm On Feb 08, 2009
strangleyo, you stated right, nigeria doesnt have an accountability culture. from government to private compaies to mama put.

u have anti-naysayer tendencies. Me like. Good job bro.
Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by Kobojunkie: 4:42pm On Feb 08, 2009
must_a_far:

strangleyo, you stated right, nigeria doesnt have an accountability culture. from government to private compaies to mama put.

u have anti-naysayer tendencies. Me like. Good job bro.

Wetin mama put do una now?? roflmao!!
Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by mustafar1: 4:45pm On Feb 08, 2009
mama put has to account for every last piece of goat meat, roundabout, cow foot, fresh fish etc etc etc that she has in her "inventory"
Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by Kobojunkie: 4:51pm On Feb 08, 2009
LOL!!! I don't I want to know what she has in her "inventory". I prefer to continue to eat without knowing ooo!!! lipsrsealed embarassed
Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by JJYOU: 4:53pm On Feb 08, 2009
wbb
Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by mustafar1: 5:00pm On Feb 08, 2009
she has to make sure all those little pieces her workers throw into their mouths in the name of tasting is accounted for.

enough of my unseriousness.
Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by jamace(m): 8:07am On Feb 19, 2009
Imagine the jumbo salaries they collect. Yet they loot our treasury. I think the plan by the President to cut down the salary of political appointees is another plus for the government. I pray the President succeeds in this effort. Slowly but steadily, I know we shall get there. cool
Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by jamace(m): 10:52am On Feb 28, 2009
House, please how many ministries and parastatal have returned unspent budget 2008,apart from House Of Reps? I hope the House Of Reps will not its oversight function on issue, by allowing others to share the left over as usual. Well, I am waiting.
Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by jamace(m): 8:43am On Mar 02, 2009
House, please how many ministries and parastatal have returned unspent budget 2008,apart from House Of Reps? I hope the House Of Reps will not its oversight function on issue, by allowing others to share the left over as usual. Well, I am waiting

How far naa? I know that 2008 budget was disbursed very late and most couldn't have done much with the money. I think they should return the money for re-disbursement?
Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by jamace(m): 6:42pm On Mar 18, 2009
How can Nigeria rebrand when our monies are looted with effrontry by our so-called leaders.
Re: Refund Of Unspent Budget Money: A Plus For Yar'adua Administration by Nobody: 11:27pm On Mar 18, 2009
asshole didnt do siht and he has unspent budget. bunch of idoits.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gani Fawehimi Biography / Court Throws Out Zoning Suit Against President Jonathan / 10 Nigerians Who Stole Much More Than Ibori

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.