Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,239 members, 7,950,305 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 11:53 AM

Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! (5585 Views)

Urhobo Names And Their Meanings. / Efik/ibibio Names And Their Meaning / Nigerian Native Names And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by kemiola89(f): 1:41pm On May 20, 2015
Tycyborg:

am not saying not to change your name but change to a nice one not a beefy name like a sentence used in churches or mosque but something more cultural and nigerian
You mean names like
Asake
Abike
Arike
Alabi
Adigun... Seriously, I don't even know what those cultural names stands for but I keep hearing them.

Our people are just being careful about the names they pick for their kids, some of those cultural names have negative connotations which in turns affects our behavior, thats why you see so many people going for a more religious name. Our names indirectly influence the way we act.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by macof(m): 10:18pm On May 20, 2015
kemiola89:

You mean names like
Asake
Abike
Arike
Alabi
Adigun... Seriously, I don't even know what those cultural names stands for but I keep hearing them.

Our people are just being careful about the names they pick for their kids, some of those cultural names have negative connotations which in turns affects our behavior, thats why you see so many people going for a more religious name. Our names indirectly influence the way we act.

This is the dumbest shit I've ever heard concerning Yoruba names

what kinda thing would make you think yoruba culture propagate nonsense names?
if you understand yoruba culture you would know that "Ile l'anwo k'a to somo l'oruko"

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by kemiola89(f): 10:42pm On May 20, 2015
macof:

This is the dumbest shit I've ever heard concerning Yoruba names

what kinda thing would make you think yoruba culture propagate nonsense names?
if you understand yoruba culture you would know that "Ile l'anwo k'a to somo l'oruko"
Who said anything about Yoruba culture propagating nonsense names or are you just making that up? How does me not understanding the cultural names I listed above translate to being 'nonsense' as you claimed? You obviously misunderstood my post.
Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by macof(m): 11:03pm On May 20, 2015
kemiola89:
Who said anything about Yoruba culture propagating nonsense names or are you just making that up? How does me not understanding the cultural names I listed above translate to being 'nonsense' as you claimed? You obviously misunderstood my post.

here's your own words trying to downplay the yoruba culture

some of those cultural names have negative connotations which in turns affects our behavior

you obviously don't know a thing about naming culture in Yorubaland
best you don't speak on a topic you don't even understand unless you seek to understand and ask questions rather than make bold accusations like that

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by kemiola89(f): 11:27pm On May 20, 2015
macof:

here's your own words trying to downplay the yoruba culture

you obviously don't know a thing about naming culture in Yorubaland
best you don't speak on a topic you don't even understand unless you seek to understand and ask questions rather than make bold accusations like that
You do indeed have a comprehension problem and I am not responsible for that. In fact I made a mistake by replying you.

Even the quote you made didn't state any specific culture as I was talking from a general perspective. My comment was a response to this post
Tycyborg:

am not saying not to change your name but change to a nice one not a beefy name like a sentence used in churches or mosque but something more cultural and nigerian

If you still don't get it after typing it out this clear I guess there's nothing more I can do. Please quit quoting me if you have nothing reasonable to say.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by macof(m): 11:42pm On May 20, 2015
kemiola89:
You do indeed have a comprehension problem and I am not responsible for that. In fact I made a mistake by replying you.

Even the quote you made didn't state any specific culture as I was talking from a general perspective. My comment was a response to this post
If you still don't get it after typing it out this clear I guess there's nothing more I can do. Please quit quoting me if you have nothing reasonable to say.

you are the only person here who has comprehension problems one of which you already admitted but stil trying to defend yourself rather than take simple correction.

and you boldly listed some yoruba names so please don't lie to yourself. but then whatever culture it is. ..respect the culture, your comment was an offensive accusation

btw must you comment on every thread?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by kemiola89(f): 6:21am On May 21, 2015
macof:

you are the only person here who has comprehension problems one of which you already admitted but stil trying to defend yourself rather than take simple correction.

and you boldly listed some yoruba names so please don't lie to yourself. but then whatever culture it is. ..respect the culture, your comment was an offensive accusation

btw must you comment on every thread?
You still ain't making any sense. All I keep seeing is 'accusations' talk repeatedly, is that all you've got?

And to your silly question; yes I can comment on any thread, this is a public forum. If my comment gives you sleepless nights then brace yourself up for more.
Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by macof(m): 8:37am On May 21, 2015
kemiola89:
You still ain't making any sense. All I keep seeing is 'accusations' talk repeatedly, is that all you've got?

And to your silly question; yes I can comment on any thread, this is a public forum. If my comment gives you sleepless nights then brace yourself up for more.

You really have a problem I see. . so your mission on this thread was to troll

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by OlaoChi: 1:22pm On May 21, 2015
kemiola89:

Actually you weren't making sense too
how does a name affect ones behavior? care to explain that?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by fightforchange1(f): 4:31am On May 22, 2015
Chimamanda god ubiquitous and supreme
Emeka good deed.
Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by OlaoChi: 10:00am On May 30, 2015
Lemme join

Kayode - Joy is allowed to arrive
Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by fightforchange1(f): 6:41pm On May 30, 2015
Ayoluwa joy of my people
Adaugo excellent daughter
Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by Nobody: 4:46am On Nov 16, 2015
Guys I have a question im a young man from america and my name is Omoyemi which means child fits me,but i want to change my name for two reasons first my father gave me the name and he had no part in my upbringing, and two that name isnt a real name,what i mean is it has to do with my dads wants, I want a true name that means something about me.IM 18,in no way shape or form am i trying to disrespect my culture and i am not ashamed of my name.by true name i mean a name that has a meaning like hakeem means wise not my father was wise,do you understand?
Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by macof(m): 7:26pm On Nov 16, 2015
Guys I have a question im a young man from america and my name is Omoyemi which means child fits me,but i want to change my name for two reasons first my father gave me the name and he had no part in my upbringing, and two that name isnt a real name,what i mean is it has to do with my dads wants, I want a true name that means something about me.IM 18,in no way shape or form am i trying to disrespect my culture and i am not ashamed of my name.by true name i mean a name that has a meaning like hakeem means wise not my father was wise,do you understand?

From America
Re: Nigerian Names And Meanings. Faves! by MissWag: 5:11am On Feb 19, 2016
Please I'd like to know the meaning of the name Mina. Any rivers people in the house?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Nigerian Tribe Is The Best At speaking English? / Yorubas And Slave Trade / Pictures Of Nigeria Traditional Rulers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.