Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,740 members, 7,969,145 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 08:56 PM

Business Scam Alert - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business Scam Alert (859 Views)

Npower Scam! Scam!! Scam!!! Alert / SCAM Alert!! / NEW SCAM Alert.....pls Someone Should Help Confirm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Business Scam Alert by Bestep: 2:32am On May 11, 2015
Dear Fellow Nairalanders,

I just want to share this my unfortunate business experience with you and to alert everyone about a company called Global Traders (Birmingham) Ltd - Second Hand Clothes (Bales) and Shoes Dealers. To be forewarned is to be forearmed. I lost more than £5115 when I ordered a grade A Africa summer clothing and shoes from this company which I exported to Nigeria Dec. 2014.

Their website is very impressive, "clothes and shoes carefully hand-sorted and all damaged items removed". Please do not believe what you read on their website. They will fill your bales and sacks of shoes with items so bad that nobody would want to buy them from you.

After seeing their website I phoned the company and Tony, (who later told me that he is an Agent and has his own company called International Tech) directed me to Global Traders’ warehouse. I met Hamza Aslam (Whom I later discovered is trading under the name of Rio Clothing). He showed me beautiful clothes and shoes around the warehouse. He assured me they never send winter item to Africa. He held some clothes, "take pictures and show to your customers, they will like them", he said. I proudly did and widely publicised it to customers in Nigeria, paid £500 deposit for a 20 assorted bales and 20 assorted sacks of shoes.

But then as careful as I thought I was, I requested to see the contents of my order before they sealed them. Reply was, "Oh it’s been sealed and can’t be opened, and opening them would take a lot of labour and cost – don’t worry everything is ok, we have lots of customers from Nigeria that come and buy from us", they said. I then thought it must be ok. I must be worrying for nothing. I tried to reduce my order anyway, but they said I had to take half of the order else I lose my deposit. To make my discomfort greater, invoice came on a different name “Rio Clothing” with a different street name. Puzzling question dawned on me: who the hell are the "Global Traders" that I thought I was doing business with.

I searched the internet, could not find Rio Clothing. Called the agent, "don’t worry", he said, Rio Clothing organises the goods, everything is fine trust me". I later found out that there are multiple other individuals in the same Global Traders trading in their different company names.

To cut a long story short. I had already committed my money, so I shipped these goods to Nigeria – already widely publicised as a grade A, hand sorted clothes and shoes where all dirty and damaged items have been removed. Everybody gathered in the market square awaiting opening of the first bale. Bale opened - see the attached pictures for what the customers saw - dirty, rotten, torn rags and shoes that are unsalable. Crowd gradually disappeared.

Some customers still enthusiastically eager to buy but after scouring the heap of tick winter materials – coats, jumpers, socks, tights, dirty wedding gown and all the things that should not be in the Africa Summer clothes’ bales, customers would find nothing to buy and they leave. Customers that bought some bales returned them saying they are afraid to open another bale and I had to refund their money for my own reputation. Months down the line the bales and shoes are still looking me in the face and I know that I will eventually have to throw them away.

No one is pricing these items now because they are unsalable. Trying to contact both the agent and the warehouse dealer became difficult and when they do answer, they would pass the buck on each other. Please, do not be another victim to these scammers. Only buy products from Global Traders (Birmingham) Ltd. if you want to lose your hard earned cash.

Re: Business Scam Alert by missyjolanda(f): 10:02pm On May 16, 2015
Im sorry to hear about your loss. Due dilligence is really what its all about. It is terrible that this has happened, but it was a costly but most valuable lesson. We have all been there at some point.

As far as your merchandise. You could try to have all the fabrics shredded into cleaning rags. Bags with rags can then be sold to everyone who cleans..garages, hotels, etc.This may still give you a return on your loss.

Hope it helps.
Re: Business Scam Alert by Bestep: 11:44am On Jun 21, 2015
Thanks for the advice, appreciated.

(1) (Reply)

FUTO Community - Eziobodo Has One Of The Worst Roads In The South-east / 25 Simple Things To Give Up If You Want To Succeed / I Prefer The Old Nairaland Format Joh!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.