Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,576 members, 7,905,212 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 08:21 AM

Interesting Ways To Find Inspiration For Your Writing - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Interesting Ways To Find Inspiration For Your Writing (831 Views)

What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? / 7 Amazing Tips To Improve Your Writing Skills Quickly / Top 10 Sources Of Inspiration For Creative Writing (part 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Interesting Ways To Find Inspiration For Your Writing by TRWConsult(m): 2:25pm On May 11, 2015
No matter how much you love writing; there will always be days when you need inspiration from one muse or another.
In fact, I would argue that inspiration is not just a desirable thing; it’s an integral part of the writing process.
Every writer needs to find inspiration in order to produce inspired writing. And sometimes, it can come from the unlikeliest sources.
I’ve compiled a list of some of my favourite ways of finding inspiration — some of them obvious, some of them less so. But it’s always good to have reminders, and if you haven’t used a few of these sources of inspiration in a while (or ever), give them a go.

Blogs.
This is one of my favourites, of course. Aside from this blog, there are dozens of great blogs on writing and every topic under the sun. I like to read about what works for others — it inspires me to action!
Books.
I read writers I love (read about my current loves) and then I steal from them, analyse their writing, get inspired by their greatness. Fiction is my favourite, but I’ll devour anything. If you normally read just a couple of your favourite authors, try branching out into something different. You just might find new inspiration.
Overheard dialogue.
If I’m anywhere public, whether it is at a park or a mall or my workplace, sometimes I’ll eavesdrop on people. Not in a gross way or anything, but I’ll just keep quiet, and listen. I love hearing other people have conversations. Sometimes it doesn’t happen on purpose — you can’t help but overhear people sometimes. If you happen to overhear a snippet of interesting dialog, jot it down in your writing journal as soon as possible. It can serve as a model or inspiration for later writing.
Movies.
Sometimes, while watching a movie, a character will say something so interesting that I’ll say, “That would make a great blog post!” or “I have to write that in my writing journal!” Sometimes screenwriters can write beautiful dialog. Other times I get inspired by the incredible camera work, the way that a face is framed by the camera, the beauty of the landscape captured on film.
Music.
Along the same lines, it can be inspiring to download and play great music, from Mozart to Beethoven to the Beatles to Radiohead. Play it in the background as you write, and allow it to lift you up and move you.
Friends.
Conversations with my friends, in real life, on the phone or via IM, have inspired some of my best posts. They stir up my ideas, contribute ideas of their own, and they fuse into something even more brilliant than either of us could have created.
Quotes.
I don’t know why it’s so, but great quotes help inspire me. I like to go to various quote sites to find ideas to spark my writing, turns of phrase that show what can be done with the language, motivation for self-improvement. Try these for a start: Writing Quotes and Quotes for Writers.
History.
It can be unexpected, but great people in history can inspire you to greatness. My favourites include Benjamin Franklin, Gandhi, Abraham Lincoln, Helen Keller, Leonardo da Vinci, and other greats.
Travel.
Whether it is halfway around the world, or a day trip to the next town or national park, getting out of your usual area and discovering new places and people and customs can be one of the best inspirations for writing. Use these new places to open up new ways of seeing.
Writing journal.
I highly recommend this for any writer. It doesn’t have to be fancy, or something you write in every day. Just a plain notebook will do, although a nice journal can be motivating. Write down thoughts and inspirations and quotes and snippets of good writing you find and pieces of dialog and plot ideas and new characters. Then go back to this journal when you need ideas or inspiration.
Freewriting.
One of the best ways to get unstuck if you’re uninspired is to just start writing. Anything. It doesn’t matter. Don’t edit, don’t pause, and don’t think. Just write and let it flow. You’ll end up with a lot of garbage, probably, but it’ll help you get out of your rut and you might just write some really good stuff among all that garbage.

People watching.
This is an interesting activity for any writer. Go to a busy public place and just sit and watch people. They’ll amuse you, inspire you, and fascinate you. There’s nothing more inspiring than humanity.

Culled from article by Leo Babauta

Do you think you still need to improve your writing skills? TRW Consult offers online trainings on the different forms of writing. For more information send email to mail@trwconsult.com or call 08188708026. Contact us today.
Re: Interesting Ways To Find Inspiration For Your Writing by Escapevelocity(m): 8:24am On Oct 19, 2015
numbering ur write up can help pass the message vividly
Re: Interesting Ways To Find Inspiration For Your Writing by kamikazeY(m): 9:57am On Oct 19, 2015
I love this,thanks brother.with the citations and posting it during a time that I can still access it.I'm grateful and I was moltivated on knowing where inspirations thrive and hide.

(1) (Reply)

Sixters / Which Expression Is Correct? / Family Affair - Episode 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.