Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,784 members, 7,875,940 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 04:03 AM

10 Foods You May Not Know That Are Healthier To Eat Raw - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 10 Foods You May Not Know That Are Healthier To Eat Raw (5870 Views)

If You Have Ever Eaten Any Of These Foods, You Are Old! / 6 Foods You Should Eat Raw For Healthy Life; Number 6 Will Surprise You / 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Foods You May Not Know That Are Healthier To Eat Raw by Odebright(m): 7:43am On May 13, 2015
You probably already know that a ripe, red apple is a much healthier choice than a sugar-filled piece of chocolate cake. That much is common sense, and for some people it’s enough to keep them on track with maintaining a healthy diet.

But for those who may be looking to take their health to the next level, understanding the best ways to prepare certain foods is key to maximizing their nutritional benefits. With certain foods, baking, boiling, steaming, grilling, or roasting them supercharges their nutritional contents so your body can take in more.

On the contrary, cooking other foods does the opposite – making it much more difficult for your body to absorb the vitamins and minerals compared to eating them raw. While some veggies might seem tastier (and easier to chew) after they’ve been roasted with some olive oil and sprinkled with a bit of seasoning, you could be sacrificing nutrition for taste without even realizing it.

Take a look through the following list of foods to find out which ones are better to eat raw and why, with links to delicious recipes you can try for each one!
1. Beets

The red beet root may be a vegetable with high sugar content, but its nutritional properties completely make up for it. Beets are high in fiber, vitamin C, potassium, manganese, and the B vitamin folate, which offers a range of health benefits that can boost your immune system, improve your stamina, fight inflammation, lower your blood pressure, and even prevent cancer.

When you cook beets they can lose as much as 25 percent of their folate (a healthy brain compound that helps reduce the risk of birth defects during fetal development). It may take some time getting used to munching on beets in their raw state, so try this mixed salad made with raw beets, carrots, apples, and ginger lime dressing for a nice added flavor.
2. Broccoli

Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable that should be a top item on your grocery list. With a seemingly endless offering of nutritional benefits, this superstar veggie is not only packed with vitamin C, calcium, potassium, and protein… it also contains sulforaphane – a compound found to fight cancer cells, lower blood pressure, improve heart health, and provide antioxidants that help with anti-aging and immunity.

According to a study from the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, people who consumed broccoli raw absorbed sulforaphane more quickly and in higher amounts compared to people who consumed it cooked. Try this incredibly simple and delicious raw broccoli soup recipe for something different than the typical raw broccoli salad.
3. Onions

Believe it or not, the same stuff that makes you tear up when you cut onions is the same stuff you want to consume more of to improve your health. Called allicin, this phytonutrient helps curb hunger, prevent cancer, promote cardiovascular health, and reduce high blood pressure. You get more of it when you eat onions raw as opposed to eating them cooked.

Make sure to include both red and yellow onions for a natural does of quercetin – a bioflavonoid that has anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and anti-bacterial properties to help you fight off all sorts of nasty viruses, including the common cold. Try them with this raw onion wraps recipe.
4. Red Bell Peppers

Citrus fruits are often what first comes to mind when you think of vitamin C, but red bell peppers should be right there with those oranges, lemons, and limes. With nearly three times the vitamin C intake you need for the day, red bell peppers are also a powerful antioxidant and a great source of vitamin B6, vitamin E, and magnesium.

You may be able to get away with cooking your red bell peppers for a short time over low heat which will still maintain their sweetness, but be aware that roasting, frying, or grilling them at a temperature over 375 degrees Fahrenheit will cause their vitamin C properties to break down. Eat them raw for their full nutritional benefits. Take a look at this amazing stuffed raw pepper recipe with confetti guacamole.
5. Nuts
Although higher in calories compared to most other health foods, nuts are a primary source of healthy fats that can help you balance your diet. These essential fats actually help you lower your bad cholesterol, reduce your risk of developing blood clots, and promote good artery health.

When it comes to choosing nuts, go for a variety of almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, pecans, and other types that haven’t been roasted in oil and have no added salt. Raw nuts are higher in iron, magnesium, and contain no GMO oils. When you need a quick but yummy snack, have this naked raw trail mix recipe on hand to satisfy your craving.
- See more at: http://www.globalbaze.com/10-foods-you-may-not-know-that-are-healthier-to-eat-raw/#sthash.Jm0zP5h5.dpuf
- See more at: http://www.globalbaze.com/10-foods-you-may-not-know-that-are-healthier-to-eat-raw/#sthash.Jm0zP5h5.dpuf
Re: 10 Foods You May Not Know That Are Healthier To Eat Raw by ViralBOY: 7:47am On May 13, 2015
Lol broccolli, beets angry guess I'm ok with mango and agbalimo grin

4 Likes

Re: 10 Foods You May Not Know That Are Healthier To Eat Raw by busterr(m): 8:02am On May 13, 2015
ok
Re: 10 Foods You May Not Know That Are Healthier To Eat Raw by whillyamz98(m): 8:09am On May 13, 2015
Educating.
Re: 10 Foods You May Not Know That Are Healthier To Eat Raw by nuelzy: 8:24am On May 13, 2015
Red pepper?

.......mission altered!!
Re: 10 Foods You May Not Know That Are Healthier To Eat Raw by Moana(f): 10:18am On May 13, 2015
Nuts i can eat raw and beetroot i can eat raw the rest i have to steam up at least
Re: 10 Foods You May Not Know That Are Healthier To Eat Raw by Uniquexty(f): 2:54pm On May 13, 2015
Beets ke? This is Nairaland not Dollarland biko
Re: 10 Foods You May Not Know That Are Healthier To Eat Raw by masties2(f): 5:15pm On May 13, 2015
Where can I get beets to buy and cauliflower too?
Re: 10 Foods You May Not Know That Are Healthier To Eat Raw by Nmeri17: 8:11pm On May 18, 2015
11. yams smiley
[url=nairaland.com/nmeri17]SOURCE [/url]
Re: 10 Foods You May Not Know That Are Healthier To Eat Raw by Gopulence: 1:16pm On May 22, 2015
masties2:
Where can I get beets to buy and cauliflower too?

try going to where those hausa men sell friuts...they should be able to tell u where to find it if they do not sell it.
Re: 10 Foods You May Not Know That Are Healthier To Eat Raw by Gopulence: 1:19pm On May 22, 2015
Uniquexty:
Beets ke? This is Nairaland not Dollarland biko

beetroot...i tink the hausa men that sells friuts calls it 'bitut' or something like that...they know it and can tell u where to find them to buy.
Re: 10 Foods You May Not Know That Are Healthier To Eat Raw by Ojim07(m): 7:24am On Jul 19, 2015
Onions z xo cool for me
Re: 10 Foods You May Not Know That Are Healthier To Eat Raw by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 8:27pm On Jul 19, 2015
Nmeri17:
11. yams smiley

[url=nairaland.com/nmeri17]SOURCE [/url]
Are you a goat
Re: 10 Foods You May Not Know That Are Healthier To Eat Raw by Nobody: 11:09am On Jul 20, 2015
nuelzy:
Red pepper?

.......mission altered!!

It is Red bell pepper not red pepperundecided
Re: 10 Foods You May Not Know That Are Healthier To Eat Raw by nuelzy: 3:59pm On Jul 20, 2015
Insidous:

It is Red bell pepper not red pepperundecided
whether bell or not...shey pepper enter inside??
Re: 10 Foods You May Not Know That Are Healthier To Eat Raw by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jul 20, 2015
nuelzy:
whether bell or not...shey pepper enter inside??

Red bell pepper is not hot. It tastes just like green pepper.
Re: 10 Foods You May Not Know That Are Healthier To Eat Raw by nuelzy: 4:29pm On Jul 20, 2015
Insidous:

Red bell pepper is not hot. It tastes just like green pepper.
i hate green pepper..anything pepper..i hate d word pepper itself
Re: 10 Foods You May Not Know That Are Healthier To Eat Raw by Nmeri17: 7:05pm On Jul 21, 2015
PRISTINEMUSCLES:
Are you a goat
yes!! I'm a goat and for those of y'all who don't know what a goat is it means the greatest of all time and I consider myself one of those so thank you very much kiss smiley

1 Like

Re: 10 Foods You May Not Know That Are Healthier To Eat Raw by motherlode: 3:04pm On Aug 30, 2015
Hmmmm, okay!
Re: 10 Foods You May Not Know That Are Healthier To Eat Raw by maputohq: 5:59pm On Aug 30, 2015
1. I See 5. 2. I Don't Know Some Of Them. 3. I Won't.

(1) (Reply)

Cake Making N Decoration In Abuja / Pls Advise Me On A Recipe For 80 Cupcakes. / Favorite fISH + Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.