Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,317 members, 7,920,166 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 08:56 PM

The Interpretation Of God In Fear Of God. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Interpretation Of God In Fear Of God. (709 Views)

Interpretation Of Tongues Spoken In "Way Maker" By Sinach / Pls Can I Get Interpretation To My Dream / Dream Interpretations - Post Or Email Your Dream For The Interpretation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Interpretation Of God In Fear Of God. by Welrez(m): 6:14pm On May 14, 2015
I've pondered on this question for a while. It seems to occupy the discussion of many ladies and men and is even found on famous romance lists on nairaland. It is not strange to see it occupying an important position in the hierarchy of qualities a marriageable man should possess. In fact, some people, especially ladies, don't hesitate to ask you where you worship before a date kicks off. It is a common question which usually attracts a simple and straightforward answer: I worship with so-and-so church. But I think it demands a deep answer. I think it brings to bear the definition of God and humanity.

My reflection arises from the diversity of beliefs and the fact that we are persuaded to be open-minded and tolerant towards the beliefs of others. I believe a true embrace of democracy as well as humanity and civilisation demands such an attitude from us. We are now taught that society is diverse and so we are urged to accept others' views and live with it. This means a narrow interpretation can lead to subtle as well as open resentment, which is already a reality in our society. I feel the interpretation of this should be broad enough to reflect the diversity in society.

But if people truly mean religious qualifications by that question, are we right to say that they imply the atheists, since they don't believe in God, and the agnostic, who shares a similar fate with the atheist since they are not sure of God's existence, since they cannot be categorised as religious, as being not worthy of marriage? Or should we interpret God to mean a moral order in the context, in which case what comes readily to mind is the character, integrity, etc of the person in question?
Re: The Interpretation Of God In Fear Of God. by achinaboy(m): 9:07pm On May 14, 2015
I've tried to read this several times,but something kept distracting me,i don't know why,but I got to move on
Re: The Interpretation Of God In Fear Of God. by Welrez(m): 6:44am On May 17, 2015
When people say that a marriageable person must have the fear of God, does it mean the atheists and the agnostic in our midst are unfit for marriage?
Re: The Interpretation Of God In Fear Of God. by Welrez(m): 6:48am On May 17, 2015
achinaboy:
I've tried to read this several times,but something kept distracting me,i don't know why,but I got to move on
I would be glad to read your comment. I feel it is a topic that deserves discussion.
Re: The Interpretation Of God In Fear Of God. by Welrez(m): 7:35am On Sep 24, 2017
Lalasticlala, Myd44, obinoscopy, l feel this topic deserves discussion.
Re: The Interpretation Of God In Fear Of God. by hopefulLandlord: 7:38am On Sep 24, 2017
interesting

1 Like

Re: The Interpretation Of God In Fear Of God. by Welrez(m): 7:59am On Sep 24, 2017
Re: The Interpretation Of God In Fear Of God. by Welrez(m): 8:00am On Sep 24, 2017
Re: The Interpretation Of God In Fear Of God. by Welrez(m): 8:01am On Sep 24, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
interesting
l feel people may not appreciate discourse like this yet because of the highly religious nature of our society. But this question goes deep into the heart of what truly makes us humans.
Re: The Interpretation Of God In Fear Of God. by butterflylion: 8:28am On Sep 24, 2017
Welrez:
When people say that a marriageable person must have the fear of God, does it mean the atheists and the agnostic in our midst are unfit for marriage?

You are generalising a lot in your OP. Not all ladies ask questions bordering on where you worship but those who do also have their personal reasons why they do so and their views should be respected.

A lot of them have the notion of only being around people from their own places of worship based on their comfort zone. For those ones you cannot blame them because it is what they are comfortable with. Nobody wants to dabble in uncertainty or take unneccessary risks.

Besides when people talk about the fear of God it refers to reverence and not being afraid so what they mean is "do you love God? Do you serve him? " Are you a follower of His ways? " This has nothing to do with having focus on atheists or agnostics because those ones are too insignificant to be bothered with.

Scripture teaches Christians not to be unequally yoked together with unbelievers so a christian who decides to break this instruction should be ready to bear the consequences that come with it Afterall can two walk together except they agree?

Look at it this way, if I own a company and I wish to employ a manager, my manager has to agree with my methods and the reason why I set up my business in the first place. I also have to agree with any new idea he brings to the table as long as it is beneficial to my business. The moment we both have a foundation of disagreement or he does not subscribe to my views and I his, then we would both suffer and the business would suffer even more.

If you are a quiet reclusive person would you enjoy being in a relationship with a quarrelsome, nagging woman? If you were a peaceful person would you enjoy being in a relationship with a noisemaker and a trouble maker? If you were a careful and prudent person would you enjoy being in a relationship with a waster of money and resources?

What you are saying applies to all aspects of life and not just religion or the religious. For example a lot of people want to know your view on sports, food, family, temper, types of food you like, etc before venturing into any form of relationship with you. They simply want to avoid stress and conflict.

So let me ask you, would you settle for anyone who is directly opposite your views and would bring you conflict eventually? Even animals are smart enough to stick to their kind. No goat would want a relationship with a lion and no rat would want to date a snake.

Stop narrowing it down to atheists it's sounding very childish unless you feel stigmatised but even that is of nobodys fault but yours. You chose a lifestyle so deal with the fall outs.

Marriage is a life long commitment. I may not be married myself but I sure would not want to live my years in conflict till probably old age when I could have easily avoided it from the very beginning. Peace is worth more than money and I am selfish with my peace.

(1) (Reply)

Today I Taught My Child / Politician Donated A Church / Help My Friend,29yrs Old Still Sucking Finger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.