Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,755 members, 7,879,285 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 03:27 PM

Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? (1580 Views)

Here Are Reason Why ‘love At First Sight’ Is The Worst Way To Find A Life Partne / Love At First Sight!!! [photo] / Lets see how gud ur sight is... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by Orikinla(m): 6:20pm On May 15, 2015
Love at first sight: Is it possible?
I had thought this would be an easy subject to handle. How could one possibly set eyes on someone for the first time and fall in love instantly. Admire the person? Yes. Like him or her? Yes, it is possible. But love, the true sense of love? Haaaaaa, impossible!

That was my take some weeks ago. Not so now. Not with the evidence before me now.

Love at first sight is an experience and a common figure of speech in literature in which a person, character, or speaker feels an instant and extreme romantic attraction for a stranger on the first sight of them.

Nicolas Sarkozy
Carla Bruni was once reported as saying that it was love at first sight between her and the former French President Nicolas Sarkozy. She said that what happened “between Nicolas and me was not quick, it was instant. So for us, [the wedding] was actually very slow.”

This account of a Femi I know is very funny but instructive. Femi had gone to a First Bank branch on Awolowo Road, Ikoyi, Lagos for a transaction. As soon as he took his position on the short queue there, he said he saw a beautiful curvy lady at one of the counters in the process of making some withdrawal.

He stood there gaping at her, as a little voice in his head kept on saying, “I must get this girl, I must.” He said his breadth become shorter and he noticed he was sweating in the AC. He was struck by a loving feeling, tender and wild.

As the lady finished and headed for the exit door, Femi decided to wait a little in the banking hall before rushing out to meet her. Too bad for him! When she dashed out to catch up with her, she was already driving out, a female companion with her in the car. He watched helplessly as they drove off.
Four good months after the encounter, Femi still talks about the lady. “I love that girl,” he says.

Why it is impossible
Wasn’t Femi confusing sexual attraction with love? Is love “at first sight” possible? Seeing the woman only briefly did not afford him enough opportunity to assess her well enough. Hips don’t lie, they say, but curves have short market life.

Indeed, it has been observed that in many cases, when we get to know others whom we admire from a distance, we may even come to regard them as downright repulsive! In this age of body shape enhancers, where the boobs that make some men ogle may be non-existent, love at first site may be a risky business.

Also, since loving is described as an activity involving a set of caring activities including being loyal, consistent, candid, trustworthy, considerate, empathetic, tolerant, beneficent, and being there, then it goes without saying that “loving is an intimate, personal activity that seeks the welfare, happiness, and safety of another.”

What therefore must have happened is that Femi admired the lady or even liked her. But liking her, even liking her a lot, is not the same as loving her.

It is possible
On the other side of the heart, another school of experts counter frantically that love at first sight is possible. Some people even say that the first intense love you ever feel is the one at first sight. That is rather simplistic.

Other people give it a mystical dimension. They believe there can be a mystical experience of unity that accompanies the mere sight of the beloved for the first time; that the person may have been know in a prior lifetime.

The scientist has also spoken: they say the fact that love at first sight may be based upon unreliable information does not mean that it is not an instance of intense love. Research indicates that romantic love is often based upon idealization and positive illusions, and this is also true concerning love that lasts many years. This is also the case concerning other emotions.

According to Dr. Aaron Ben-Zeév, although love at first sight cannot be profound as there has been no time for creating such profoundness, love at first sight should not be described as shallow; it is just that the issue of profoundness is not yet relevant.

Ben-Zeév goes argues further that the assumption that we cannot attribute to a person characteristics that are not seen at the moment to fall in love is flawed since we often spontaneously attribute such characteristics, by using certain stereotypical evaluations. Accordingly, attractive people are more likely to be the object of love at first sight.

Research
Research has also shown that the attractiveness of a person can be very quickly determined, with the average time in one study being 0.13 seconds; and that the first few minutes, but not the first moment, of a relationship have shown to be predictive of the relationship’s future success.

In conclusion, although it must be said that love takes time to cultivate, and love at first sight is unrealistic, we must not be hasty at dismissing it because full- blown love starts somewhere.

Source: True Life Forum of Bola Abass.
https://abassbola88./2015/05/15/love-at-first-sight-is-it-possible/

Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by Nobody: 6:23pm On May 15, 2015
Hell yeah.
Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by oppybouy(m): 6:24pm On May 15, 2015
brb
Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by MissSlimbody(f): 6:26pm On May 15, 2015
Attraction @1st sight, yes.

Love @1st sight, hell NOundecided
Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by Nobody: 6:26pm On May 15, 2015
that is attraction, love is attachment. How can one possibly get attached to someone at first sight
Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by loomer: 6:29pm On May 15, 2015
Yes, I fell in love with my phone at first sight
Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by Acekidc4(m): 6:32pm On May 15, 2015
It is Not Love at First Sight at all, it is LUST at First Sight!!

Love Bawo!!!
Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by Twaci(f): 6:33pm On May 15, 2015
A guys sees a pretty and smart babe and falls for her (attraction at first sight)

Two months of friendship graduates into more. Both not able to do without eachther, always thinking about the other, puts the other first in everything....(Now that's love).

"Love at first sight" is simply a fairytale line. A figment of Disney's imagination undecided
Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by kubba: 7:09pm On May 15, 2015
I believe in love at first sight
Love @ first sight for shoes and wrist watches undecided
Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by eddysernal(m): 7:14pm On May 15, 2015
i think love is the simplest yet most complicated feeling ever known to man. what people mean when they say "i love you" especially peeps who arent married is "i will love you" what that means in essence is that you cant really love sum1 @ first sight. i dare say its not love its might not be lust either buh its definetly not love. whatever it is only those involved know what the felling is...
Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by MizMyColi(f): 7:21pm On May 15, 2015
MissSlimbody:

I even suspect attraction at first sightgrin
Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by major466(m): 8:00pm On May 15, 2015
MissSlimbody:
Exactly. Most people confused attraction with love at first sight.
Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by Enegod(m): 8:27pm On May 15, 2015
Yes... Liberal alcohol consumption would help enhance the illusion. undecided
Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by Princessonelove: 8:31pm On May 15, 2015
Ask Oshiomole oh!

1 Like

Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by trapQ: 8:43pm On May 15, 2015
YES!!!! love at first sight is very real. I feel in love with my first and only boyfriend the second I set my eyes on him in 2012. Not for his looks no.. But I was beyond convicted that he was the one for me... It was like my spirit got intertwined with his., I knew right then and there that he was the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.. Anyways to cut the long story short, its 2015 and I'm still madly, head over heels in love with him.

1 Like

Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by ronald4lif(m): 8:48pm On May 15, 2015
Love at first sight is a myth.
Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by Nobody: 8:55pm On May 15, 2015
Hell no!! Love at first sight is so not possible. Anyone that has a contrary opinion doesn't know what love is.
Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by MissSlimbody(f): 9:58pm On May 15, 2015
MizMyColi:

I even suspect attraction at first sightgrin
Iya, don't be too suspicious Õoº°˚ ˚°ºoogrin

If its not attraction, what do you think it is
Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by Nobody: 11:37pm On May 15, 2015
No it's not love. Lust or attraction maybe.
Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by Mintayo(m): 2:17am On May 16, 2015
there is nothing like that...love is not "a first sight" thing...you walk and grow in/into love. Love at first sight ends with separation or hatred.
Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by MizMyColi(f): 5:55am On May 16, 2015
MissSlimbody:
Iya, don't be too suspicious Õoº°˚ ˚°ºoogrin

If its not attraction, what do you think it is

Well Dearie.
Meeting someone for the first time and getting attracted to them shitty scares me.
embarassed

I prefer it when I don't notice them (in that regard), then along the line, the attraction sets in.

Maybe I'm being uptight, but I don't want to know that I got attracted to someone I wanna have for keeps based on his looks ati owo

Se to grab bayiwink
Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by MissSlimbody(f): 10:01am On May 16, 2015
MizMyColi:

Well Dearie.
Meeting someone for the first time and getting attracted to them shitty scares me.
embarassed

I prefer it when I don't notice them (in that regard), then along the line, the attraction sets in.

Maybe I'm being uptight, but I don't want to know that I got attracted to someone I wanna have for keeps based on his looks ati owo

Se to grab bayiwink

Mo ti grabsmiley

Although,looks is important,but I get attracted after I have conversate with the person.

So, you're not being uptightsmiley

1 Like

Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by sinizia: 10:35am On May 16, 2015
Love at first sight is a myth. It doesn't exist. Rather ATTRACTION at first sight is what should suffice. People throw the word love around like some child play. You get attracted to someone at first sight, and that attraction leads to love as you both explore yourselves.
Re: Love At First Sight: Is It Possible? by Orikinla(m): 5:22pm On May 16, 2015
I don't believe in love at first sight.
True love takes time.
Your love must pass the test of time.

Governor Adams Oshiomhole and his wife Lara Forte, a Cape Verde national, and former air hostess at Emirate Airlines did not fall in love overnight.

(1) (Reply)

Wow! Caption This Photo. / My Fiancee Lied To Me; She Is A Single Mum... / How True Is This Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.