Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,918 members, 7,890,037 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 08:05 AM

Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business (20738 Views)

Start Your Own Business Today / 6 Tips To Starting Your Own Business / Aziza, Sani Dangote's Daughter Graduates From UK University (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by LaurelP(m): 2:56pm On May 17, 2015
I am writing this article based on my experience here on Nairaland and other online forums, and also live experience. A lot of people have preached and continue to preach the message of self employment and setting up something no matter how small.
It is very glaring that unemployment is the no1 problem of youths in this country. Many are lying idle after years of graduation due to lack of jobs.

Some people have heed this advice and are doing business, while others continue to give various excuses why they cannot seem to venture into the world of business. Some of these excuses are voiced out, while others are hidden in subconscious of people.
My aim is to expose these excuses and myths, and tell you why they are not enough to stop anybody who truly wants to start.

1. I don't have capital to start: I think this is the greatest and most common excuse graduates give for not being self employed. But the problem is that most of them want to start big. They want to have about half a million before they start. The truth is you can start with anything you have, anything! Even N2000 can buy a bag of purewater, iceblock and transport you to a busy location where u can sell. Some graduates have much more than that, some have people who are ready to help them with money but prefer to wait for that big break which will never come.

2. Overbloated Ego: Most graduates will not say it but I think this is one of the greatest hindrances to starting a business. How can I a graduate be selling purewater and gala? How can I be cleaning people's house? How can I be washing clothes for my mate?
All this is a result of ego and pride. If you cannot humble yourself, then forget about doing business. Even if you start big, you will still serve customers.

3. What will people say? People will always talk. If you decide to be lazy they will talk, if you start small they will still talk. The best is to forget about peoples gossip and do what must be done. I run a home cleaning business and I serve many clients, some of them my mates. I need their money so I can't afford to listen to what people say. The funny thing is when you succeed they will say ur using Juju.

4. Will I succeed? Well, the only answer to this is "I don't know". In business, you can never be 100% sure if you will succeed. The most important thing is to START. Once you're sure that people need your product or service, start. If you wait your mind will start giving you excuses.

5. I want to start Big: I always advice people to start SMALL but dream BIG. Every business you know started small. Talk of Dangote, Jumia, Nairaland etc. Don't wait until you have a million naira. Once u can buy materials and move around, start. It is not compulsory to have an office or shop, it can come later.

6. I have a job: A person can run a business even when he's working on a job. You don't have to resign. There are many businesses one can run that doesn't require physical presence all the time. You can employ someone to represent you.

7. I'm waiting for the perfect time: There will never be a perfect time. Quit procrastination and start NOW. Do that research, meet that person, buy those materials, just start.

8. I want a fresh business idea: Nothing is new under the sun. There is always someone doing what you're doing. The key is to try and stand out from the crowd. Be different and people will patronise you.

9. I'm not qualified: Unless your business requires a special skill, there's nothing to worry about qualification. Most big names today had only basic education (Dangote)when they started their business. Some dropped out of school (Nairaland) while some started as students (Jobberman).

What excuses are hindering you from starting your business? Please share them let's talk about them.

Cc: davide470, uboma

66 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by TRADELYN: 3:04pm On May 17, 2015
Unless they will get a competent manager to run the business, Nigerian graduates should go work first (full time or part time) to acquire the basic skills as it's no news that most of them are not employable.
And sadly, our schools train them to look for jobs only. lipsrsealed

#Respect!

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by Xslaze3xd(m): 3:05pm On May 17, 2015
Nice info and Ideas
Hustle hard and you will make it
Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by Nobody: 3:07pm On May 17, 2015
Thanks OP. Hustling mode activated. NYSC come and finish o.

3 Likes

Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by prelinctus: 3:41pm On May 17, 2015
Op, do you want me to call Setaje for you? In fact, Setaje talk to this Op for me. cool

1 Like

Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by LaurelP(m): 3:56pm On May 17, 2015
TRADELYN:
Unless they will get a competent manager to run the business, Nigerian graduates should go work first (full time or part time) to acquire the basic skills as it's no news that most of them are not employable.
And sadly, our schools train them to look for jobs only. lipsrsealed

#Respect!

Go work where?
Any graduate can start a business.
It is at the stage of expansion that they need managers as you said.

1 Like

Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by LaurelP(m): 3:57pm On May 17, 2015
[quote author=prelinctus[/quote]
Air your own view Stop calling someone who's not here

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by TRADELYN: 4:09pm On May 17, 2015
LaurelP:

Go work where?
Any graduate can start a business.
It is at the stage of expansion that they need managers as you said.
grin
My point is that it is good to encourage graduates to start their own business, but how many of them can manage business challenges? I believe you know better since you run your own business.

2 Likes

Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by ednut1(m): 4:26pm On May 17, 2015
not everyone is business inclined

16 Likes

Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by Setaje(f): 4:48pm On May 17, 2015
prelinctus:
Op, do you want me to call Setaje for you? In fact, Setaje talk to this Op for me. cool

What can I do for u op?
Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by DaPhilosopher(m): 5:01pm On May 17, 2015
@op, r u ur own boss too?

1 Like

Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by Dyt(f): 5:37pm On May 17, 2015
NOT EVERYONE IS BUSINESS ORIENTED
NOT EVERYONE CAN DO OFFICE WORKS
WHEN WE WILL LEARN TO TOLERATE ONE ANOTHER

WE ARE DIFFERENT PEOPLE AND CANT ALL DO SAME THING.

16 Likes

Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by Bolade005: 6:44pm On May 17, 2015
Dyt:
NOT EVERYONE IS BUSINESS ORIENTED
NOT EVERYONE CAN DO OFFICE WORKS
WHEN WE WILL LEARN TO TOLERATE ONE ANOTHER

WE ARE DIFFERENT PEOPLE AND CANT ALL DO SAME THING.
Everyone is business oriented. Problem is sometimes our egos get in the way and we don't want to start small. I understand if "capital" is what's hindering people but not this lie people like to tell themselves " I'm not business oriented".

People are just not "small or petty business oriented". People can learn a craft while waiting for that dream job and make extra money from it. We need to also realise we won't all get that dream job and if we keep waiting for it and time keeps tickling by, hunger go wire person ehn.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by Dyt(f): 6:54pm On May 17, 2015
Bolade005:

Everyone is business oriented. Problem is sometimes our egos get in the way and we don't want to start small. I understand if "capital" is what's hindering people but not this lie people like to tell themselves " I'm not business oriented".

People are just not "small or petty business oriented". People can learn a craft while waiting for that dream job and make extra money from it. We need to also realise we won't all get that dream job and if we keep waiting for it and time keeps tickling by, hunger go wire person ehn.

You don't know everyone one
Do you?
I am jobless too
I can't do business cos I am a free giver
I can't learn craft cos I get tired easily
Not like I am lazy, as a matter of fact I am very hardworking

We all can't do samething
Speak what you know

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by Bolade005: 7:06pm On May 17, 2015
Dyt:

Do you?
I am jobless too

Speak what you know
Can u manage this business if I open a big supermarket for you?

All right Idayat.
Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by Dyt(f): 7:15pm On May 17, 2015
Bolade005:

All right Idayat.

shocked shocked
Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by LaurelP(m): 7:20pm On May 17, 2015
This people saying not everybody is business inclined are the first to complain abt lack of jobs.

8 Likes

Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by Bolade005: 7:22pm On May 17, 2015
Dyt:

shocked shocked
tongue wink
Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by Dyt(f): 7:26pm On May 17, 2015
Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by Nobody: 7:27pm On May 17, 2015
LaurelP:
I am writing this article based on my experience here on Nairaland and other online forums, and also live experience. A lot of people have preached and continue to preach the message of self employment and setting up something no matter how small.
It is very glaring that unemployment is the no1 problem of youths in this country. Many are lying idle after years of graduation due to lack of jobs.

Some people have heed this advice and are doing business, while others continue to give various excuses why they cannot seem to venture into the world of business. Some of these excuses are voiced out, while others are hidden in subconscious of people.
My aim is to expose these excuses and myths, and tell you why they are not enough to stop anybody who truly wants to start.

1. I don't have capital to start: I think this is the greatest and most common excuse graduates give for not being self employed. But the problem is that most of them want to start big. They want to have about half a million before they start. The truth is you can start with anything you have, anything! Even N2000 can buy a bag of purewater, iceblock and transport you to a busy location where u can sell. Some graduates have much more than that, some have people who are ready to help them with money but prefer to wait for that big break which will never come.

2. Overbloated Ego: Most graduates will not say it but I think this is one of the greatest hindrances to starting a business. How can I a graduate be selling purewater and gala? How can I be cleaning people's house? How can I be washing clothes for my mate?
All this is a result of ego and pride. If you cannot humble yourself, then forget about doing business. Even if you start big, you will still serve customers.

3. What will people say? People will always talk. If you decide to be lazy they will talk, if you start small they will still talk. The best is to forget about peoples gossip and do what must be done. I run a home cleaning business and I serve many clients, some of them my mates. I need their money so I can't afford to listen to what people say. The funny thing is when you succeed they will say ur using Juju.

4. Will I succeed? Well, the only answer to this is "I don't know". In business, you can never be 100% sure if you will succeed. The most important thing is to START. Once you're sure that people need your product or service, start. If you wait your mind will start giving you excuses.

5. I want to start Big: I always advice people to start SMALL but dream BIG. Every business you know started small. Talk of Dangote, Jumia, Nairaland etc. Don't wait until you have a million naira. Once u can buy materials and move around, start. It is not compulsory to have an office or shop, it can come later.

6. I have a job: A person can run a business even when he's working on a job. You don't have to resign. There are many businesses one can run that doesn't require physical presence all the time. You can employ someone to represent you.

7. I'm waiting for the perfect time: There will never be a perfect time. Quit procrastination and start NOW. Do that research, meet that person, buy those materials, just start.

8. I want a fresh business idea: Nothing is new under the sun. There is always someone doing what you're doing. The key is to try and stand out from the crowd. Be different and people will patronise you.

9. I'm not qualified: Unless your business requires a special skill, there's nothing to worry about qualification. Most big names today had only basic education (Dangote)when they started their business. Some dropped out of school (Nairaland) while some started as students (Jobberman).

What excuses are hindering you from starting your business? Please share them let's talk about them.

Cc: davide470, uboma

The nigeria environment is not conducive for a small business...

#lazy_Nigeria_Graduate_excuses

2 Likes

Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by Nobody: 7:27pm On May 17, 2015
wink
Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by Nobody: 7:29pm On May 17, 2015
Dyt:

Do you?
I am jobless too

Speak what you know

cheesy cheesy cheesy you lazy die, how can you be hardworking and get tired easily? lazy pikin angry

12 Likes

Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by Dyt(f): 7:33pm On May 17, 2015
donnypool:

cheesy cheesy cheesy you lazy die, how can you be hardworking and get tired easily? lazy pikin angry

Entitled to your own opinion oo
Maybe ur dead brain didn't translate to u that not every hardworking person does handy jobs
Mumu
grin grin

14 Likes

Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by LieDetector(m): 7:35pm On May 17, 2015
Potential front page thread
Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by Adeoba10(m): 8:17pm On May 17, 2015
Yeah Bro... Am also a grad... I finished my youth service march 2015,n i was posted to imeko afon for d inec stuff, although i served in abia State. Right now, am collecting thrift (daily contributn) frm market woman at itoku, sapon, kuto market... I used d money in making some businesses n b4 d end of each month, i av alot of return... Y shld i wait for white collar job, wen i can use my brain to bleach my blue collar job to white

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by GenerousLord: 8:37pm On May 17, 2015
In as much as I appreciate the fact that you rightly pointed out that some graduates have some ego issues that preclude them from making a huge step that will transmogrify their lives for good, I would also want to join my voice with other voices who of course do not agree entirely with your post.

OP, I'm just gonna ask you two questions, and please respond like a honest man.

Q1) If you were a father, would you risk the pain of sponsoring your child's education (BSc or up to Master's degree level) knowing fully well that as soon as he graduates from the university and acquires those degrees he will drop them (the degree certificates) eventually, and go after the hawking of pure water and gala like you put it?

Q2) Do you see such an act (refering to my first question) as counter-productive, unplanned and foolish? Or to you such an act is productive, well planned and wise?

And just so you know, everyone is not designed to be an entrepreneur.

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by kfrosh: 9:11pm On May 17, 2015
Sister believe me you never jam hunger/poverty. grin. It brings out the best in you. You will begin to do those things you believed you were never capable of. angry
Dyt:

Do you?
I am jobless too

Speak what you know

9 Likes

Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by Acidosis(m): 9:22pm On May 17, 2015
What is BUSINESS?
Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by Acidosis(m): 9:39pm On May 17, 2015
What is BUSINESS?

A business, also known as an enterprise or a firm , is an organization involved in the trade of goods , services , or both to consumers.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business

Whenever the word BUSINESS is mentioned, people (mostly graduates) always relegate that word to GALA, SHOE MAKING, PURE WATER, and the likes. Our failure to understand the meaning of Business is the major reason majority shy away from investing in one or more businesses.

Atimes we even forget some studied Business Administration (up to PhD level); MBA - Master of Business Administration.

I also remember taking a core course in my final year called ENTREPRENEURSHIP, in fact I had the best score in my class (98%) despite being a science person.

While everyone cannot run, and effectively manage BUSINESS, we also must not relegate the word BUSINESS to akara and fried plantain. Dangote PLC is a business, Jumia is a business, etc.

In so far as we continue to see business as alternative for those who couldn't get a white collar job (someone else's business), people will continue to shy away. Some of us were born with traits of business.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business by remsonik(f): 9:42pm On May 17, 2015
I support dyt not every one is business oriented.
To succeed in business you need to have marketing skills and not everyone can do marketing. For you to succeed well in that business you need to master the art of marketing what you do yourself and not outsourced marketing.

Not everyone can even move around to research and strategize on the target market
If you can't do these things you will just see your capital fizzle out of your hands then you are back to square one trying to raise capital again.

Op's point are valid though but pls speak for yourself

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back / FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste / How To Get Your FIRS TIN Online In 5mins Or Less

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.