Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,003 members, 7,939,018 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 04:51 PM

FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 (26062 Views)

Protest Against Wike In Abuja For Killing Of Police Officers In Rivers Rerun / Aregbesola Visits Wike In Port Harcourt (Photos) / Amaechi And Wike In Handshake During Peace Meeting On Rivers Rerun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by Nobody: 6:45am On May 20, 2015
barcanista:
You see how dumb you sound? Is there any agCJ of rivers state at present? Did anybody say the Governor doesn't have power to appoint agCJ? You just jump into a subject without comprehending the matters at hand. Anyway, you arr an angry old dude that I shouldn't be responding to.

Spare me your thrash!!!

. . . . . . .you are obviously too lazy to put up an effort to work your brain. . . . . . .the word 'appointment' of state CJ comes on the same line with what executive office in the constitution?. . . .is it governor, minister or president?.. . . . . .Mr half baked online analyst
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by wirinet(m): 6:46am On May 20, 2015
freshdude99:

Do u even know what"impunity" means before using the word?
What impunity is greater than locking an entire judiciary arm of state down for more than a year?
Bro play APC politics with ur brain not ur Asshole as u have shown Nlanders shocked

But, why do you have selective anmesia? Do you not remember the greatest impunity of all - 5 being greater than 24? Amaechi locked down the Judiciary because the 5 (greater than 25) with oders from mama peace are intent on impeaching the governor, but they cannot do it without imposing their own Chief Judge on Rivers. The NJC wanted to take the role of Appointing the chief Judge instead of recommending and allowing the Governor to choose (with approval from the state assembly)

1 Like

Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by okpurukata(f): 7:25am On May 20, 2015
barcanista:
hahaahahhahahahah... But wait o, since Amaechi become Governor him polarise Nigeria Governor Forum, him factionalise Rivers State House of Assembly, him factionalise Rivers State Judiciary (the first in history of Nigeria) and him no fit point any single project wey in do for him second term. Remember say Amaechi been talk say him de save N1b every month to keep for him successor? That means Wike should be expecting a minimum of N96 billion as State savings.

My brother. He managed to save N56bn and withdrew all during the Buhari campaign. I am a a Banker, I know.
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by okpurukata(f): 7:31am On May 20, 2015
manuroq:
Is it that the office of the chief judge is vacant?

Yes it is. Amaechi shut down the courts since one year because his preferred candidate for CJ was not qualified and not recommended by the NJC. The man has put the livelihood of lawyers and their family in Rives state in a mess for a long time. His sins are gradually catching up with him.
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by Nobody: 7:32am On May 20, 2015
okpurukata:

My brother. He managed to save N56bn and withdrew all during the Buhari campaign. I am a a Banker, I know.
Madam Banker, so Amaechi don play us yahoo? How can he empty the treasury just like that?
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by frisky2good(m): 7:35am On May 20, 2015
Rivers State has no CJ? Na wa o.
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by gozmok1(m): 7:43am On May 20, 2015
Jorussia:
.d chief judge of bayelsa state coming to administer oath of office in Rivers state?legal experts in d house is dis move constitutional?
yes
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by Hope15: 7:43am On May 20, 2015
....and now, Bayelsa state is geared to annex Rivers.....well, why not?
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by patpaul: 7:58am On May 20, 2015
Goddex:
[size=13pt]Our so-called Human Rights Femi Falana only talks when it concerns APC.

For nearly 2yrs, Amaechi shut an entire judicial arm of government under lock and key. Our APC Falana have suddenly developed sealed lips, deaf ears and blind eyes to these evil perpetrated by Amaechi.
[/size]
Before nko? So you thought he is fighting for the masses or the judiciary? May be you mistook him for the late Senior advocate of the masses, Gani faweihimi. The man is only fighting APC and Yoruba cause.
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by homesteady(m): 8:20am On May 20, 2015
Wildrage:

You people are quite funny, what other options are there to avoid a constitutional crisis? The framers of the constitution never anticipated a situation like this, where a tout, with no sense of proportion , reckless to a point of insanity , would preside as the executive governor of a state. What the AGF is proposing is akin to the doctrine of necessity, we can't allow a vacuum and create anarchy cos of a constitutional lacuna
Cc. torkaka
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by kkokoma: 8:38am On May 20, 2015
Ameachi has ensured that whatever the case, Wike's governorship will be under attack from day one. Expecially now that his allies are out of power and his enemies control the centre

1 Like

Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by Hugoboi(m): 9:12am On May 20, 2015
barcanista:
I don't even understand your point of argument. Firstly, the CJN can swear-in PCA and other Federal Justices and judges but not another CJN. There can be no two CJN at the same time, it is only the President or whoever he delegates that performs the ceremony. However, no law specifically forbade then outgoing CJN Kutigi from Swearing-in incoming Katsina-alu and considering the necessity as the President Yaradua was in comatose and there must be no vacancy. In fact, NBA and Constitutional lawyers kicked against the action but it stood.

A§ for the AGF, he is acting on behalf of the President and Commander-in-chief and not of his own. Like i pointed out earlier
The FG is ABSOLUTELY on track for two reasons...
1. Section 185(2) did not specify that only state governor or any arm of the state government should exercise such power. In fact, it was ambigious as to the appointing authority.

2. The issue of "Doctrine of Necessity" has come in. Let me remind you that in 2010, an outgoing CJN swore in his successor which was against the law. But he had to do that because the then President Yaradua was in comatose and the VP was yet to be empowered as AgPresident. The decision of the outgoing CJN stood.
Same 2010, the NASS went out of their way to empower then VP Goodluck Jonathan to function as AgPresident without transmission of letter from the incumbent President Yaradua as specified in the constitution. The decision of NASS stood and GEJ appointed agPresident. (That section was later amended).

You have to admit(whether you agree or not) that the inauguration ceremony is an exercise to fulfil thÉ books. Wike already has Þhe mandate, no Court can upturn the action.

I can't be arguing back and forth! I'm done with this

[b] I wont blame you for misyarning like this because you obviously are not a lawyer. What has "Doctrine of Necessity" got to do with the legality of the AGF (a lawyer) directing The Chief Judge of State A to swear in the Governor elect of State B? Please answer the followuing:

1. What is the role of an Attorney General (State or Federal) in the appointment of judges?

2.In the judicial hierarchy, can an AG issue orders to a judge?

3. Who are the bodies/persons constitutionally empowered to partake in the appointment of judges (and by extension a Chief Judge)?

4. What has Doctrine of Necessity got to do with a situation/process that is expressly provided for in the constitution?

Dear Barcanista, i follow your posts and let my give you a piece of advice. Don't argue cos you like the sound of your voice. There is no place for emotions in rational discourse. The conviction with which you are pushing this argument when you have no clue about what your talking about just sucks. Focus on partisan politics and leave core legal issues for those trained for it. [/b]

3 Likes

Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by Hugoboi(m): 9:13am On May 20, 2015
iretiland:
It is only in Nigeria that this Mohammed Adoke can be an ordinary lawyer, let alone a senior lawyer. Adoke is as corrupt as they come with all the mis-interpretations he has given to Nigeria's constitution. There was the perception that Aondoakaa was bad and corrupt during late President Yar' Adua's time, but he is no match for this Adoke.
How come the so-called "noble profession" have so many dishonourable men in their senior rank ?

With a good primary school education and zero knowledge of law, one will know that Adoke's directive to CJ of Bayelsa state is null and void in a federal system of government. The NBA should try rederming it's image by leting the likes of Adoke, Aondoakas, etc form their own rogue legal assiciation.

seconded
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by Jesusloveyou: 9:30am On May 20, 2015
barcanista:
Madam Banker, so Amaechi don play us yahoo? How can he empty the treasury just like that?
haba, u should ask gej why he ruin d economy,why nigeria is broke,why he borrow money to pay worker
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by Joeoku78: 9:38am On May 20, 2015
For Amaechi to go to court in owerri to stop the swearing in of Wike on the 29th may is wrong because INEC had already issued Wike of the PDP cert of return as governor that's why the court threw out his request.
Nevertheless Wike may not last in office as governor of Rivers state because APC has reasonable facts to overturned the victory of Wike via the court as quickly as possible. This is the standing truth.
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by Tankotanko: 10:12am On May 20, 2015
barcanista:
what is happening in this Rivers case is a special one. The Attorney General did not import any judge to serve as CJ in Rivers state, he only exercised the power as conferred on him by Section 185(2). For the record, the said Section did NOT specify that the Governor or an Administrator should be the only person to make the appointment in case like this. It never forbids the FG from exercising such powers, neither did it specify that only members of the State Judiciary should be appointed for such purpose.

The FG is ABSOLUTELY on track for two reasons...
1. Section 185(2) did not specify that only state governor or any arm of the state government should exercise such power. In fact, it was ambigious as to the appointing authority.

2. The issue of "Doctrine of Necessity" has come in. Let me remind you that in 2010, an outgoing CJN swore in his successor which was against the law. But he had to do that because the then President Yaradua was in comatose and the VP was yet to be empowered as AgPresident. The decision of the outgoing CJN stood.
Same 2010, the NASS went out of their way to empower then VP Goodluck Jonathan to function as AgPresident without transmission of letter from the incumbent President Yaradua as specified in the constitution. The decision of NASS stood and GEJ appointed agPresident. (That section was later amended)

The point is you can't leave room for a vacuum. That will cause constitutional crises.

My Dear you have variously laboured to assist these guys. But believe it or not, they will never accept or believe it, as they have decided not to. Kindly rest your nerves, We saw it coming as the Constitution is very clear. Common sense can never be common to a biased mind, period.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by Laid2001: 10:24am On May 20, 2015
It is out of place for the Federal Government to appoint the chief Judge of Bayelsa to do the swearing in.
Adoke is just precipitating and creating a ground for Amaechi to get Wike's swearing in annulled by a competent court.

It is for the state Governor to appoint a chief judge for his state and it is for him to appoint anyone to carryout that act in the absence of a chief judge!.

The Nigerian constitution did not envisage a situation when the federal government will be taking up the powers of the state executive governor and hence has not provided for such. Except in a case of state of emergencies which is not the case today!.

I believe, Amaechi had only one choice (appoint one high court judge to do the swearing in) before, since he has to go on 29th May. But with this usurpation of his power by the FGN, he may just simply arrange a last minute alternative. Absent himself from what Adoke must have planned and make a mess of Wike's swearing in. If Wike does not appear for his swearing in at the Amaechi's venue and goes to Adoke's venue, he would have been digging his grave for nullification.

My take is for NJC to write Amaechi officially asking him to appoint any of the state high court judge of his choice to do the swearing in.
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by Laid2001: 10:53am On May 20, 2015
The judges are not on strike in Rivers. It is the judiciary workers that are on strike. This excludes the judges, however, the judges can not seat since all their workers are on strike. No one to even open the court complex.!!. The last time the judges tried to go to work, they were stoped from entering by the rampaging workers.!

One of the judges in Rivers can still do the swearing in, if so appointed for it, by the appropriate authority which the governor. Or worst case, based on doctrine of neccessity, the NJC. I say this because these two entities were mentioned in relation to the appointement of the Chief Judge.

OwerriChairman:
. Are you advocating for the governor or the state legislator to appoint the chief judge? Can't your stupid head tell you that every judge in Rivers state is on strike. Assuming it goes in your mischievious way, what would you rather have happen on May 29? No swearing-in abi? Electric fool like you.
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by femixville(m): 10:55am On May 20, 2015
Jorussia:
.d chief judge of bayelsa state coming to administer oath of office in Rivers state?legal experts in d house is dis move constitutional?
Very constitutional.... Section 185(2)., gave that
right.
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by Kennywills7(m): 12:41pm On May 20, 2015
Tankotanko:

My Dear you have variously laboured to assist these guys. But believe it or not, they will never accept or believe it, as they have decided not to. Kindly rest your nerves, We saw it coming as the Constitution is very clear. Common sense can never be common to a biased mind, period.
Kudos to u for ur write up

1 Like

Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by pasol4real(m): 1:44pm On May 20, 2015
aare07:
Dakuku would be governor of Rivers State
Come re-election
Jimi agbaje wud be governor in Lagos state come cancellation n re election

1 Like

Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by prodigy1994: 3:55pm On May 20, 2015
Goddex:

Dreamer

Governor for 4 months maximum
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by prodigy1994: 3:58pm On May 20, 2015
Ezenwammadu:
Wike We Know Wike ls Loved.lf amaechi thinks that locking down the courts for almost two years or buying a court injunction will stop Wike from doing his four years then he never chim chong chim

Wike, 4 months governor!
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by TRUTHTOPOWER: 5:06pm On May 20, 2015
tete7000:

But what happens when the tenure of the governor has lapsed and he is no longer constitutionally empowered to make such appointment? Does that mean the governor's office should remain vacant from May 29 at the expiration of Amaechi's tenure or can Amaechi act and make appointment beyond his tenure in office? I want to believe this provision comes into force only on May 29 to avoid creating a vacuum in the office of the state governor. There are many things our constitution never envisaged and this is one of them. It was never envisage the governor of a state will deliberately act to prevent the swearing in of his successor. In line with doctrine of necessity maybe the fg has acted right. If there is disagreement, reprieve can be sought in court but I won't be surprised if the court upholds the decision of this peculiar case and make it a precedence for such future occurence. My opinion though and I no be lawyer o!

Doctrine of necessity is not exercised in vacuo. you must have standing. no necessity can make an igwe appoint a Gov for a state. necessity arises when you are hindered by some technicality. even at that a process must be followed. there is even method to madness in law. you cannot assume powers that does not implicitly belong to you. that is why coupists suspend constitution. you must abolish a known order before you can introduce a new one. the president only channel is a state of emergency. he must state that as a fact whether rightly or wrongly. but he cannot leave a Gov in place and usurp his powers. the CJ himself must wait for a federal gazette in the case of emergency.

PDP cold have gone to court and seek a relief that will enable a judge within jurisdiction to act. a that way the court will be exercising inherent powers.AGF has no such powers. if Wike victory is debateable, his recourse to bayelsa is a textbook example of ultra vires,null and void act
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by tete7000(m): 5:31pm On May 20, 2015
TRUTHTOPOWER:

Doctrine of necessity is not exercised in vacuo. you must have standing. no necessity can make an igwe appoint a Gov for a state. necessity arises when you are hindered by some technicality. even at that a process must be followed. there is even method to madness in law. you cannot assume powers that does not implicitly belong to you. that is why coupists suspend constitution. you must abolish a known order before you can introduce a new one. the president only channel is a state of emergency. he must state that as a fact whether rightly or wrongly. but he cannot leave a Gov in place and usurp his powers. the CJ himself must wait for a federal gazette in the case of emergency.

PDP cold have gone to court and seek a relief that will enable a judge within jurisdiction to act. a that way the court will be exercising inherent powers.AGF has no such powers. if Wike victory is debateable, his recourse to bayelsa is a textbook example of ultra vires,null and void act
Hmm! So in essence we are in for another long legal tussle?
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by zik4ever: 6:07pm On May 20, 2015
Adoke right ​to​ assign Bayelsa Chief Judge to swear in Rivers Governor-elect — Keyamo
Lagos based lawyer, Festus Keyamo, has said the Attorney-General of the Federation, Mohammed Adoke, was right in directing the Chief Judge of Bayelsa State, Justice Kate Abiri, to administer the oath of office ​to​ the governor-elect of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike.

Mr. Adoke, in a statement on Tuesday, directed Justice Abiri, to administer the oath of office to Mr. Wike because of the vacuum in the office of the Chief Judge and the President of the Customary Court of Appeal in Rivers State due to the protracted controversy between the outgoing governor of the state, Rotimi Amaechi and the National Judicial Council over who should be appointed the state’s chief judge.

Making reference to Section 185(2) of the 1999 Constitution, Mr.​ Keyamo said Mr​.​ Adoke was right on the side of law in ​giving​ the directive.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/183349-%e2%80%8ba%e2%80%8bdoke-right-%e2%80%8bto%e2%80%8b-assig%e2%80%8bn%e2%80%8b-bayelsa-chief-judge-to-swear-in-rivers-governor-elect-keyamo.html
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by bornmekus: 8:33pm On May 20, 2015
emekaxy:

Mr. Nyesom Wike

The Federal Government has requested the Chief Judge of Bayelsa State to administer the Oath of Allegiance and Oath of Office on the Rivers State Governor-elect, Chief Nyesom Wike, on May 29, 2015.

The request was contained in a press statement personally signed and made available to journalists in Abuja by the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Mohammed Adoke (SAN).

Adoke said the request became necessary because of the existing vacuum in the Office of the Chief Judge of Rivers State as well as the Office of the President of the Customary Court of Appeal of the state.

He said the vacuum had made strict compliance with requirements of Section 185(1) and (2) of the 1999 Constitution under which Wike should be sworn in virtually impossible.

The minister said in order to avert a likely constitutional crisis in the state on May 29 when Wike was expected to be sworn in as governor, he had requested the Bayelsa CJ to carry out the exercise in accordance with Section 185 (2) of the Constitution.

He said the section provides that “the Oath of Allegiance and the Oath of Office shall be administered by the Chief Judge of the state or Grand Khadi of the Sharia Court of Appeal of the state, if any, or President of the Customary Court of Appeal of the state, if any, or the person for the time being respectively appointed to exercise the functions of any of those offices in any state.”

“The general public, particularly the government and people of Rivers State, are hereby invited to take note of this development and appreciate the fact that the invitation extended to the Chief Judge of Bayelsa State to administer the Oath of Allegiance and Oath of Office on the Governor-elect of Rivers State on May 29, 2015 is in accordance with the Constitution and should therefore be respected by all and sundry,” Adoke added.

Source:

http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-asks-bayelsa-cj-to-swear-in-wike-on-may-29/#disqus_thread
Am happy over that.
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by TRUTHTOPOWER: 11:17am On May 21, 2015
tete7000:

I hope not. It is not in the interest of the masses to be without a defacto gotv at least. But it appears to me that PDP consistently fail to evaluate all options because of a default option force. By may 29, that option will cease to function. Then they will look inward and begin to take fool proof measures in addressing future challenges. Nigeria needs them to challenge APC. But not in this mode that their options depend on the force to work.
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by tete7000(m): 2:44pm On May 21, 2015
TRUTHTOPOWER:

I hope not. It is not in the interest of the masses to be without a defacto gotv at least. But it appears to me that PDP consistently fail to evaluate all options because of a default option force. By may 29, that option will cease to function. Then they will look inward and begin to take fool proof measures in addressing future challenges. Nigeria needs them to challenge APC. But not in this mode that their options depend on the force to work.

Many of these happen because their is mutual distrust between the political parties I guess. Any other option as far as PDP is concerned will resort to working with a house largely dominate by APC members. They probably think that doing so might deny Wike his mandate as the majority might work to scuttle his being sworn in until Buhari's govt comes in
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by baralatie(m): 2:58pm On May 21, 2015
wirinet:

But, why do you have selective anmesia? Do you not remember the greatest impunity of all - 5 being greater than 24? Amaechi locked down the Judiciary because the 5 (greater than 25) with oders from mama peace are intent on impeaching the governor, but they cannot do it without imposing their own Chief Judge on Rivers. The NJC wanted to take the role of Appointing the chief Judge instead of recommending and allowing the Governor to choose (with approval from the state assembly)
I think you should read up what the constitution says about the appointment of the Chief Judge of the state!
Amaechi bit more than he can chew on this one!
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by baralatie(m): 3:13pm On May 21, 2015
tete7000:

don't mind the guy o!

these case is a straight forward matter!
1,a state does not have a substantive chief judge,neither an acting chief judge
2.the same state does not have a president of customary court of appeal
3.The judicial council does not recognise by law any appointment of such as regards that state.

now you have to swear in an incoming gov.the constitution says any Substantive Chief judge can swear in a governor.(what are and who can initiate the act...........the attorney general,simple by application which has been done)

you are saying the gov to be sworn in to move to fed high court to apply for a substantial chief judge( nonsense)
Re: FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 by TRUTHTOPOWER: 3:32pm On May 21, 2015
tete7000:

Many of these happen because their is mutual distrust between the political parties I guess. Any other option as far as PDP is concerned will resort to working with a house largely dominate by APC members. They probably think that doing so might deny Wike his mandate as the majority might work to scuttle his being sworn in until Buhari's govt comes in

Let me give you Ekiti scenario. 7 PDP lawmakers are the majority whilst the 19 APC law makers are the minority. without force option how can that happen. no way. Fayose could have found away of working with the legislative majority instead of the coercive majority. in rivers also, PDP could have gone to court and get a court order directing the most senior judge to act as CJ for the purpose of swearing in. The bottom line is that your solution or choice in a DEMOCRATIC space, not criminal space, must not depend on force to succeed. sooner or later it will collapse. PDP though popular in many places, yet the leaders take even party members for granted until elections. All APC had to do was to present a man that naturally attract millions of followers and ensure that rigging is impossible. APC victory came more from ideological support than a pragmatic support. PDP must up its game after may 29.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead / ‘Missing’ $20billion Oil Money: Our Audit Report Not Reliable — Pricewaterhousec / Court Adjusts Metuh’s Bail Condition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.