Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,423 members, 7,974,737 topics. Date: Monday, 14 October 2024 at 10:26 AM

Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? (35855 Views)

Ancestry Quest / Nigerian/african Ancestry Of Puerto Ricans / Complex Genetic Ancestry Of Americans Uncovered. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Kei144(m): 8:40pm On May 24, 2015
bigfrancis21:

The luo tribe of Kenya, the tribe Obama is from. They share so many similar words in spelling and meaning with Igbo, such as 'okonkwo', and traditional settings and customs. Many luos who read Chinua Achebe's 'Things Fall Apart' remarked at the striking similarity between Igbo customs mentioned in Chinua's book and theirs.

History suggests that the Luo travelled along the River Nile from Sudan. They made entry into Kenya around 500 years ago and established settlements in the lands surrounding Lake Victoria- Africa’s biggest fresh water lake.

http://www.kenya-information-guide.com/luo-tribe.html

Since the Luo tribe came from Sudan, that is the connection between them and Igbos. Some Igbos descended from Jews that ran down to Egypt after Nebuchadnezzar conquered Judah. From Egypt, those Jews went down to Cush (Sudan). Those Jews obviously intermingled with Cushites. The Luo tribe was part of those Cushite people. But the Luos are not Jews, since they did not have circumcision in their culture.

Apparently, the Jews that were in Cush moved westward, rather than southward.

2 Likes

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by eaglechild: 8:42pm On May 24, 2015
bigfrancis21:
In some way, my mind casts some doubt on the entire 'DNA ancestry' thing. Could this be some made-up test just to merely back-up some 'jewish' ancestry of Igbos?
Spot on.

I just smell an elaborate hoax.

He should try a more reliable company.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Kei144(m): 8:56pm On May 24, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Iteso ethnic group,Kenya. Am yet to carry out a research too. Some of them are aware of that 'connection'.

Iteso traditions relate that they originated somewhere in what is now Sudan and moved south over a period of centuries. It is not possible to calculate the time of this movement.

Read more: http://www.everyculture.com/Africa-Middle-East/Iteso-History-and-Cultural-Relations.html#ixzz3b5U4sDHA

Iteso people also came from Cush (Sudan). That is their connection with Israelite Igbos; but Iteso people don't seem to be Israelites.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Nobody: 8:59pm On May 24, 2015
Fireflame144000:
What the fúck? I'm confused

I took a DNA test at AncestryDNA and as I expected it says that I am 100% west African.

But I bought another kit from 23andme so I can find out my brother's Y-DNA. While I was waiting for my Brother's test results to come in, I decided to upload my AncestryDNA results to Gedmatch since Gedmatch, AncestryDNA, and 23andme all work with other. So on Gedmatch when one of the first test I took on Gedmatch was the 'Jtest' under the Eurogene project, selecting the chromosome painting process and here are the results.

South-Baltic
East-Euro
North-Central_ Euro
Atlantic
West-Med
AshkeNAZI (giggle)
East-med
West-Asian
Middle eastern
South-Asian
East African
Siberian
West-Africa

Unfortunately, this particular test did not show a percentage, but they had a color code, and the color for west Africa which was light brown, was of course really really dominate.

My second test

This one is under the dodcad project, the process type was 'Admixture proportions (with link to Oracle)'

The calculator model was 'Africa9'

Here are the results (this one shows the percentage)

Europe: 0.49%
SW.Asia: 0.78%
E Africa: 5.61%
S. Africa: 14.26%
Mbuti: 3.86%
West Africa: 69.00%
Biaka: 5.94%
San: 0.06%

Either Gedmatch looks deeper into ancestry more. Or I need to take different types of tests at Ancestry. I took multiple test at Gedmatch because they were free, but I only felt like posting two of the tests. While ancestry I would have to pay more to get those other types of tests.

But seriously what's up with that? My genes are like the fùcking rainbow. But really I'm confused, I thought I was 100% west African Igbo , because both of my parents are Igbo, but I'm not even 100% Igbo it's self, according to ancestry, I'm 50% Nigerian, 24% Cameroon/Congo, 20% Benin/Togo, and 6% Ivory Coast/Ghana.

Also, my Parents were never slaves in America, they came to America by there own free will. They were not here during slavery, they came recently like 20 years, Like 1995, slavery was already dead, so slavery in America could not be the option with this DNA mix up.

So, when people ask me where I'm from do I list all of the countries where my DNA leads to?

Or should I just say Nigeria?

Or should I just switch up, like sometimes I say Nigeria, others times Cameroon, other times Europe, others times Middle East etc.?

And what's funny is that I don't even look mix, all my friends say I look African, that's it.

Well I think this makes it obvious. I have been wondering why most igbos (no homo) are light skinned. I have been having this thought that the white men not only stole our oil but also our women.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by isalegan2: 9:04pm On May 24, 2015
Fireflame144000:

A 'Y'?

And yes your correct, the test says I'm a mixture of Yoruba, Hausa, and Igbo.

that could simply mean that igbo, yoruba, hausa descended from the same ancestor however long ago.

op, kudos to you and your dad! dont mind the naysayers. obviously you are igbo but want to go back into history to learn more about your lineage. it is often difficult to have that information at the ready unless u can trace to royalty, and then its easy from there. most dont have that luxury. the people mocking ur efforts may one day realise they're not who they always assumed they were. . .then they'll be scrambling to put the missing pieces together.

great effort, bro.

btw, i wasnt sure what to make of ur opening post - joke or trolling, lol - but as you made one or two follow-up posts, i saw u were genuine. best of luck in ur very meaningful research!

1 Like

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 9:07pm On May 24, 2015
isalegan2:

that could simply mean that igbo, yoruba, hausa descended from the same ancestor however long ago.

op, kudos to you and your dad! dont mind the naysayers. obviously you are igbo but want to go back into history to learn more about your lineage. it is often difficult to have that information at the ready unless u can trace to royalty, and then its easy from there. most dont have that luxury. the people mocking ur efforts may one day realise they're not who they always assumed they were. . .then they'll be scrambling to put the missing pieces together.

great effort, bro.

btw, i wasnt sure what to make of ur opening post - joke or trolling, lol - but as you made one or two follow-up posts, i saw u were genuine. best of luck in ur very meaningful research!

Thanks
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Ihuomadinihu: 9:41pm On May 24, 2015
Kei144:

History suggests that the Luo travelled along the River Nile from Sudan. They made entry into Kenya around 500 years ago and established settlements in the lands surrounding Lake Victoria- Africa’s biggest fresh water lake.

Since the Luo tribe came from Sudan, that is the connection between them and Igbos. Some Igbos descended from Jews that ran down to Egypt after Nebuchadnezzar conquered Judah. From Egypt, those Jews went down to Cush (Sudan). Those Jews obviously intermingled with Cushites. The Luo tribe was part of those Cushite people. But the Luos are not Jews, since they did not have circumcision in their culture.

While the jewish-cushite angle sounds sweet and interesting,let's not forget a remarkable movement of people in African history popularly known as Bantu migration. Afterall,groups of people moved away from Igbo/Cameroon homeland,is it not possible that a large chunk of igbo speaking people migrated to East Africa following the bantu expansion.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Ihuomadinihu: 9:47pm On May 24, 2015
isalegan2:

great effort, bro.

Igbo-Yoruba-Hausa connection? That is possible,although Hausa is an afro-asiatic language. These days,am not in a hurry to claim any sort of ancestral relationships. These connections could be a story of different people(Nigeria) that mixed up with each other due to geographical proximity considering the diverse cultures inbetween. But anything is possible.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Karanka: 9:54pm On May 24, 2015
Op,thumbs up to you. It's amazing how much information someone can get from a simple discourse among sound minds; not people carrying the burden of tribalism.
This seemingly simple disclosure of yours has opened new information and steps to tracing the Igbo history that has been en shrouded in controversies and mystery.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Ihuomadinihu: 10:00pm On May 24, 2015
Kei144:

Iteso traditions relate that they originated somewhere in what is now Sudan and moved south over a period of centuries. It is not possible to calculate the time of this movement.

Read more: http://www.everyculture.com/Africa-Middle-East/Iteso-History-and-Cultural-Relations.html#ixzz3b5U4sDHA

Iteso people also came from Cush (Sudan). That is their connection with Israelite Igbos; but Iteso people don't seem to be Israelites.
Am also made to understand that this connection does not stop in Kenya. There are a few Tanzanians that bear similar igbo names. There is a city in Burundi called Ngozi. I have a Kenyan friend who bears my surname,lol! I was able to translate a few Rwandan words to English. I have a feeling this is more connected to Bantu migration or pre historic pre bantu migration not jewish.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by ezeagu(m): 10:23pm On May 24, 2015
eesy:

Well I think this makes it obvious. I have been wondering why most igbos (no homo) are light skinned. I have been having this thought that the white men not only stole our oil but also our women.

Then his ancestry result would have been a lot more European. For instance, the Igbo population would have similar DNA results with other creole populations (mixed cultures/people) like Cape Verde and Cape Town Coloureds, which isn't the case. These population have at least 10% European on average, not a trace amount like 0.4 %. The Igbo people phenotypically do not look like mixed race people in general, they have distinct features, although there are a minority that have features that are similar to Afro-Europeans.

Simply put, there's no evidence whether in family history or genetic history, that the Igbo are mixed.

1 Like

Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by MightySparrow: 10:41pm On May 24, 2015
Since Igbos are from Israel, did u check if the thing indicated Middle East at least somewhere close, Iraq for I instance?
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 10:43pm On May 24, 2015
MightySparrow:
Since Igbos are from Israel, did u check if the thing indicated Middle East at least somewhere close, Iraq for I instance?

No not all Igbo's are from Israel, maybe a good number but not all. And yes, it did, did you not read the list? It says Ashkenazi Jew and middle eastern.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 10:46pm On May 24, 2015
MightySparrow:

On one test is says 0.58 middle eastern, another 2.03% middle eastern. Another 1.03% Ashkenazi. And another one 1.17% western Semitic.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Ihuomadinihu: 10:46pm On May 24, 2015
MightySparrow:
He has a recent Middle east ancestor, he is not standing for all igbos.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 10:49pm On May 24, 2015
MightySparrow:

On one test it says 0.58% middle eastern, another 2.03% middle eastern. Another 1.17% Ashkenazi, another 1.03% western Semitic (or something like that) and another one 12.03% Palestinian (they say Palestinian was a proxy for middle eastern, so it's really 12.03% middle eastern on one of my chromosomes)
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Nobody: 2:34am On May 25, 2015
babyosisi:

Igbos and Cameroonians should have no differences genetically
These tests are not without question
This is what happens when nigerian parents bring up kids in America and refuse to take them home to connect with their roots
They grow up with all sorts of complexes and begin asking ridiculous questions and seeking answers to them

[size=18pt]I blame your parents[/size]

It's fascinating, IMO. I don't think it necessarily underlines a complex of the OP's, nor should it change the way OP identifies per se.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fulaman198(m): 2:43am On May 25, 2015
Kei144:

Luos came from Sudan because they are Nilotic people just like the Dinka and Nuer. They are most likely not related to Igbos
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by tevinsolt: 5:26am On May 25, 2015
no Human on the planet has 100% of any ethnicity.....learnt this genetics.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by tevinsolt: 5:28am On May 25, 2015
ocheejemb:
Science is never exact, basically very good estimates within set confidence intervals. All your other ancestries could easily be noise to yout 60% Nigerian signal. Or it could be that some of your ancestors might have migrated from one of these places. With no records, you might never know.

your statement about science not being exact is false!
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by delishpot: 7:35am On May 25, 2015
Fireflame144000:

How many times do I have to say this? My father wants to see if he can trace his family tree father back he has a family tree at his house in Nigeria.

Someone from loooong looong ago tango with people from those parts at one time or the other. Maybe 1000bc some asians did some thing to a black sister and that asian had those blood in him.
See, if an Asian whose parents have mixed parents should make a baby, that baby inherits those genes too. So maybe sometime ago, a woman had some relations with a mixed breed and then he passed Genes into your family. All it takes is for one parent to pass a million years anccestory gene to creat kids with such complicated or mixed DNA. No big deal

In
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Ihuomadinihu: 3:10pm On May 25, 2015
Fulaman198:

Luos came from Sudan because they are Nilotic people just like the Dinka and Nuer. They are most likely not related to Igbos
Both groups share similar names with almost similar meaning. There must be a reason for this. Where and how did it happen? That's the basis for this argument. If Europeans can acknowledge known and unknown movements/migration around Europe,i don't see why we can't reason like them. I've learnt to stay away from these Eurocentric racial classification,they make it seem like Africans have been stuck in one region. Identity is fluid....
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by AkanIgbo: 4:44pm On May 25, 2015
Fireflame144000:

A 'Y'?

And yes your correct, the test says I'm a mixture of Yoruba, Hausa, and Igbo.

Strange that you would say that, because I am an African American and I took the DNA test through Ancestry.com as well and when I ued the Gedmatch calculators I noticed that depending upon which Gedmatch calculator I used I was a match to Hausa, Igbo, Fulani and Yoruba. Yoruba didn't show up in all of the Gedmatch calculator, but Hausa, Igbo and Fulani did. It is also really strange to see that depending on which calculator you use you can be more related to Hausa people than Igbo and vice versa.

Another thing that I wonder about is whether the Igbo are actually Bantu people, because it seems like when I see other people results it looks like whenever people are Igbo they are also Bantu. Maybe it is just coincidence on the testing that I have seen.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 4:57pm On May 25, 2015
AkanIgbo:

Strange that you would say that, because I am an African American and I took the DNA test through Ancestry.com as well and when I ued the Gedmatch calculators I noticed that depending upon which Gedmatch calculator I used I was a match to Hausa, Igbo, Fulani and Yoruba. Yoruba didn't show up in all of the Gedmatch calculator, but Hausa, Igbo and Fulani did. It is also really strange to see that depending on which calculator you use you can be more related to Hausa people than Igbo and vice versa.

Another thing that I wonder about is whether the Igbo are actually Bantu people, because it seems like when I see other people results it looks like whenever people are Igbo they are also Bantu. Maybe it is just coincidence on the testing that I have seen.

Cool cool, you use Gedmatch too, so I think you would understand the question then most of the people who answered on here. Yeah different calculators come up with different results but they look similar. One calculator matched me up with the Fang tribe. I looked them up and it says they use to live in the northern eastern parts of Nigeria until they were chased off by the Islamic Hausa tribe. So, I guess it makes sense for me to be matched up with them since they're technically Nigerians.As for the Bantu part, I was matched up with the Bantu as well and some tribe in Kenya.What else did you matched up with? Did you try the Jtest?
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by AkanIgbo: 5:12pm On May 25, 2015
Fireflame144000:
What the fúck? I'm confused

I took a DNA test at AncestryDNA and as I expected it says that I am 100% west African.

But I bought another kit from 23andme so I can find out my brother's Y-DNA. While I was waiting for my Brother's test results to come in, I decided to upload my AncestryDNA results to Gedmatch since Gedmatch, AncestryDNA, and 23andme all work with other. So on Gedmatch when one of the first test I took on Gedmatch was the 'Jtest' under the Eurogene project, selecting the chromosome painting process and here are the results.

South-Baltic
East-Euro
North-Central_ Euro
Atlantic
West-Med
AshkeNAZI (giggle)
East-med
West-Asian
Middle eastern
South-Asian
East African
Siberian
West-Africa

Unfortunately, this particular test did not show a percentage, but they had a color code, and the color for west Africa which was light brown, was of course really really dominate.

My second test

This one is under the dodcad project, the process type was 'Admixture proportions (with link to Oracle)'

The calculator model was 'Africa9'

Here are the results (this one shows the percentage)

Europe: 0.49%
SW.Asia: 0.78%
E Africa: 5.61%
S. Africa: 14.26%
Mbuti: 3.86%
West Africa: 69.00%
Biaka: 5.94%
San: 0.06%

Either Gedmatch looks deeper into ancestry more. Or I need to take different types of tests at Ancestry. I took multiple test at Gedmatch because they were free, but I only felt like posting two of the tests. While ancestry I would have to pay more to get those other types of tests.

But seriously what's up with that? My genes are like the fùcking rainbow. But really I'm confused, I thought I was 100% west African Igbo , because both of my parents are Igbo, but I'm not even 100% Igbo it's self, according to ancestry, I'm 50% Nigerian, 24% Cameroon/Congo, 20% Benin/Togo, and 6% Ivory Coast/Ghana.

Also, my Parents were never slaves in America, they came to America by there own free will. They were not here during slavery, they came recently like 20 years, Like 1995, slavery was already dead, so slavery in America could not be the option with this DNA mix up.

So, when people ask me where I'm from do I list all of the countries where my DNA leads to?

Or should I just say Nigeria?

Or should I just switch up, like sometimes I say Nigeria, others times Cameroon, other times Europe, others times Middle East etc.?

And what's funny is that I don't even look mix, all my friends say I look African, that's it.

I am an African American and I got some really interesting results between Ancestry.com and the Gedmatch calculators too. Ancesty.com just uses a bunch of countries where they found most of your DNA exists. Gedmatch actually tries to match the DNA to a specific group of people, but the group of matching people could differ depending upon which Gedmatch calculator you use. From what I can determine the results between Ancestry and Gedmatch end up being close at the end of the day. It is interesting to note that the Bantu may have still been migrating even during the Trans Atlantic slave period or they may have kept migrating because of the Transatlantic slave trade; or the Bantus might just be really closely related regardless of where they live; because some of closest genetic matches are not only to people taken as slaves in Cameroon and the Congo, but I seem to also be closely related to people in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and South Africa.

On Ancestry.com my matches came back to:

1. Cameroon/Congo 38%
2. Ghana/Ivory Coast 32%
3. Nigeria 7%
4. Togo/Benin 3%
5. Mali 2%
6. Senegal 2%
7. North Africa 2%

Here are my Dodecad match from Oracle on Gedmatch:

1. ASW (African American which is obvious) at a distance of
2. Luhya (They are in Kenya, but they are Bantu which makes sense if looking at my results)
3. Sara people in Chad
4. Mada people in Cameroon
5. Hausa people in Nigeria
6. Kongo people of the Republic of the Congo and the Democratic Republic of the Congo
7. Bamoun people of Cameroon
8. Fang people of Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Gabon
9. Brong people of Ghana
10. Igbo people of Nigeria
11. Nguni people South Africa
12. Pedi people of South Africa
13. Bambaran people (Mandinkas of Mali, Senegal and Mauritania)
14. Xhosa people of South Africa
15. Alur people of Uganda
16. Dogon people of Mali
17. Fulani people of Nigeria
18. Sotho-Taswana people of South Africa

On the Punt DNAL Oracle calculator my closest relatives are:
1. Mandinka
2. Igbo
3. Bambaran
4. Hausa
5. Fulani
6. Yoruba
7. Sandawe people of Tanzania
8. Fang
9. Mozabite people of Algeria (They are Berbers)
10. Kung people of South Africa
11. Egyptian
12. Moroccan
13. Dogon People of Mali
14. Hadza people of Tanzania
15. Luhya
16. Ethiopian
17. Somali
18. Maasai people of Kenya and Tanzania
19. Alur people of Uganda
20. Bulala people of Chad

Harrapa World
1. African American
2. African Caribbrean
3. Fang people
4. Kongo people
5. Kaba (Sara people)
6. Bamoun people
7. Mandinka
8. Hausa
9. Bantu South Africa
10. Igbo
11. Pedi People
12. Bambaran
13. Brong
14. Nguni people
15. Dogon people
16. Yoruba
17. Fulani
18. Bantu Kenya
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 5:15pm On May 25, 2015
AkanIgbo:

I am an African American and I got some really interesting results between Ancestry.com and the Gedmatch calculators too. Ancesty.com just uses a bunch of countries where they found most of your DNA exists. Gedmatch actually tries to match the DNA to a specific group of people, but the group of matching people could differ depending upon which Gedmatch calculator you use. From what I can determine the results between Ancestry and Gedmatch end up being close at the end of the day. It is interesting to note that the Bantu may have still been migrating even during the Trans Atlantic slave period or they may have kept migrating because of the Transatlantic slave trade; or the Bantus might just be really closely related regardless of where they live; because some of closest genetic matches are not only to people taken as slaves in Cameroon and the Congo, but I seem to also be closely related to people in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and South Africa.

1. Cameroon/Congo 38%
2. Ghana/Ivory Coast 32%
3. Nigeria 7%
4. Togo/Benin 3%
5. Mali 2%
6. Senegal 2%
7. North Africa 2%

2. Luhya (They are in Kenya, but they are Bantu which makes sense if looking at my results)
3. Sara people in Chad
6. Kongo people of the Republic of the Congo and the Democratic Republic of the Congo
9. Brong people of Ghana
16. Dogon people of Mali

1. Mandinka
2. Igbo
3. Bambaran
4. Hausa
5. Fulani
6. Yoruba
8. Fang
11. Egyptian
12. Moroccan
13. Dogon People of Mali
15. Luhya
16. Ethiopian
17. Somali

Harrapa World
1. African American
2. African Caribbrean
3. Fang people
4. Kongo people
5. Kaba (Sara people)
6. Bamoun people
7. Mandinka
8. Hausa
9. Bantu South Africa
10. Igbo
11. Pedi People
12. Bambaran
13. Brong
14. Nguni people
15. Dogon people
16. Yoruba
17. Fulani
18. Bantu Kenya

Hold on I'll post my tribal matches up in a couple of minutes.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 5:31pm On May 25, 2015
AkanIgbo:

1. Cameroon/Congo 38%
2. Ghana/Ivory Coast 32%
3. Nigeria 7%
4. Togo/Benin 3%
5. Mali 2%
6. Senegal 2%
7. North Africa 2%

3. Sara people in Chad
9. Brong people of Ghana
16. Dogon people of Mali

1. Mandinka
2. Igbo
3. Bambaran
4. Hausa
5. Fulani
6. Yoruba
8. Fang
11. Egyptian
12. Moroccan
13. Dogon People of Mali
15. Luhya
16. Ethiopian
17. Somali

Harrapa World
1. African American
2. African Caribbrean
3. Fang people
4. Kongo people
5. Kaba (Sara people)
6. Bamoun people
7. Mandinka
8. Hausa
9. Bantu South Africa
10. Igbo
11. Pedi People
12. Bambaran
13. Brong
14. Nguni people
15. Dogon people
16. Yoruba
17. Fulani
18. Bantu Kenya

These are mine (there are some more but I don't fell like posting)

Yoruba
Hadza
Luhya
Bantu N.E.
Bantu S.W
San
Ethiopian Gumuz
Bantu S.E
Mandenka
Ethiopian Ari cultivator
Biaka pygmy
Igbo
Hausa
Lemba
Sudanese
Somali
Sandawe
Maasai
Bantu
Papuan
Cypriot
Fang
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by AkanIgbo: 5:41pm On May 25, 2015
Fireflame144000:

Cool cool, you use Gedmatch too, so I think you would understand the question then most of the people who answered on here. Yeah different calculators come up with different results but they look similar. One calculator matched me up with the Fang tribe. I looked them up and it says they use to live in the northern eastern parts of Nigeria until they were chased off by the Islamic Hausa tribe. So, I guess it makes sense for me to be matched up with them since they're technically Nigerians.As for the Bantu part, I was matched up with the Bantu as well and some tribe in Kenya.What else did you matched up with? Did you try the Jtest?

I listed my results in the post above this one.

A couple things that I have noticed about autosomal dna is that it tells a story. The story that I noticed is that almost all West African people are from Egypt and the Sudan, because the gene flow seems to be going west and south from that area. I even have dna matches in the Middle East, which may stem from Yoruba people. It is hard to tell without getting the matrilineal and patrilineal dna testing done.

After getting the Gedmatch results I started researching the different people. Some of the stuff is just crazy. Many Pharaohs in Egypt were Bantu. The Kaba people or Sara people in Chad were chased out of Egypt by the Arabs. On some websites it looks like Sara means sons of Ra, which I think is the religion that was practiced in Egypt during the time of the Pharaohs. And the Dogon of Mali are just incredible. The Dogon are causing a lot of problems for the USA space agency NASA, because the Dogon apparently are experts in astrology and for thousands of years they have apparently known about planets and stars in the galaxy that the Western world has just learned about in the last few decades. The Dogon apparently knew about the human circulatory system long before it was known by anyone else and that the universe is a strand like human dna. Incredible.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 5:48pm On May 25, 2015
AkanIgbo:

A couple things that I have noticed about autosomal dna is that it tells a story. The story that I noticed is that almost all West African people are from Egypt and the Sudan, because the gene flow seems to be going west and south from that area. I even have dna matches in the Middle East, which may stem from Yoruba people. It is hard to tell without getting the matrilineal and patrilineal dna testing done.

After getting the Gedmatch results I started researching the different people. Some of the stuff is just crazy. Many Pharaohs in Egypt were Bantu. The Kaba people or Sara people in Chad were chased out of Egypt by the Arabs. On some websites it looks like Sara means sons of Ra, which I think is the religion that was practiced in Egypt during the time of the Pharaohs. And the Dogon of Mali are just incredible. The Dogon are causing a lot of problems for the USA space agency NASA, because the Dogon apparently are experts in astrology and for thousands of years they have apparently known about planets and stars in the galaxy that the Western world has just learned about in the last few decades. The Dogon apparently knew about the human circulatory system long before it was known by anyone else and that the universe is a strand like human dna. Incredible.

Yes, also I heard that your highest percentage of DNA (like 70%, 80%, 90%) traces back to your main family while your lowest percentages (like 1.2%, 2.2%, 3.5%) traces back to your beginning. Like for instances, if your 3% Asian but your 97% West African, it's most likely that your original ancestors were actually Asians who just traveled all the way to west Africa and settled down there and mixed with the west African tribes. I don't know if that's true buts it's an interesting theory.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by Fireflame144000: 5:54pm On May 25, 2015
AkanIgbo:

About that Dogon part, yeah I heard about something like that but it was actually the theory that the ancient people were probably more advanced then we were. Even if it's most likely not true, it holds some truth. Like are modern scientist just use what the ancients people know just to learn more things, the modern scientist did not have to start out from scratch, but the ancient people did have to start out from scratch, because there was no other people before them. The ancient people figured out how to write on there own while the modern day people just made it look more advanced.
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by AkanIgbo: 5:58pm On May 25, 2015
Fireflame144000:

These are mine (there are some more but I don't fell like posting)

Yoruba
Hadza
Luhya
Bantu N.E.
Bantu S.W
San
Ethiopian Gumuz
Bantu S.E
Mandenka
Ethiopian Ari cultivator
Biaka pygmy
Igbo
Hausa
Lemba
Sudanese
Somali
Sandawe
Maasai
Bantu
Papuan
Cypriot
Fang

I also have Middle Eastern, European and Polynesian results, but except for the European number 12% none of them are very high. Most the European numbers are English, Ireland, Scandinavia and Iberian Peninsula; which is what most African Americans have.

Looking at your results I am almost positive that the Bantu are related to the Igbo, because every time I see an Igbo result I see a Bantu result. Those two groups have to be related somewhere, because otherwise it doesn't make sense that these two groups appearing together. Here is a blog that touches on the results of 3 Nigerians. Presumably Ancestry.com only tested Bamoun and Bamileke people in Cameroon, both groups of which are Bantu. Bamileke people share other groupings too.

https://tracingafricanroots./ancestrydna/african-results/
Re: Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? by AkanIgbo: 6:00pm On May 25, 2015
Fireflame144000:

Yes, also I heard that your highest percentage of DNA (like 70%, 80%, 90%) traces back to your main family while your lowest percentages (like 1.2%, 2.2%, 3.5%) traces back to your beginning. Like for instances, if your 3% Asian but your 97% West African, it's most likely that your original ancestors were actually Asians who just traveled all the way to west Africa and settled down there and mixed with the west African tribes. I don't know if that's true buts it's an interesting theory.

It is more likely that the Asians traveled to West Africa, because the numbers are so small and they are from a long time ago.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) / Fulani Siddika Sanusi Rides On Horse To Her Husband's House In Style / How We Spent N4.314Bn Emirate Funds - Sanusi Emirate Releases Expenditures (Pdf)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.