Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,761 members, 7,972,734 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 05:19 PM

10 Poignant Practices For Every Writer [part 2] - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Poignant Practices For Every Writer [part 2] (349 Views)

Pics That Are So Poignant And Fascinating / JAMB, NYSC Move Against Fraudulent Practices (vanguard) / 10 Poignant Practices For Every Writer [part 1] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

10 Poignant Practices For Every Writer [part 2] by TRWConsult(m): 5:13pm On May 21, 2015
6. When you hear “no” do it anyway

I finished my second book, “Imperfect” (about a girl who develops a cat purr) just as e-readers had been introduced, sending the publishing industry into a tailspin. My agent sent the book to about 16 publishing companies and despite editor interest at many of them, “Imperfect” was ultimately passed on. Around the same time I was reading the Steve Jobs biography by Walter Issacson and was so inspired by his passion for marketing the Apple computer that I decided I would self-publish my book. It was an incredibly empowering experience, continues to sell, and was even optioned as a movie. If I had passively listened to “no”, it would still be hidden in my computer. There is always a path beyond “no.” Find and follow it! [Like this quote? Click here to Tweet and share it!]

7. Accept your shadow side

Carl Jung said: “Everyone carries a shadow, and the less it is embodied in the individual’s conscious life, the blacker and denser it is.” I think the job of the artist is to look in and report back through their art. For my latest novel “Bear Witness” I explored a childhood fear of kidnapping and in doing so uncovered some dark parts of myself, and society, that I was able to process through the act of writing this book. You probably know what scares you, or makes you uncomfortable. Can you gently move toward it and begin writing about it?

8. Invest in a good therapist

He or she will help you navigate through that shadow side, and through the many other ups and downs of a creative life. Be aware that it might take a few sessions with a few different therapists to find the right one for you. Chemistry is everything, even with therapists!

9. Forgive yourself

For not leading a traditional life where rules are understood and followed. My best friend is a surgeon and she loves that the path from medical school to surgeon was very clear. She knew exactly what she had to do to get from point A to point B. A creative life has all sorts of twists and turns, ups and downs. Sometimes money is flowing in from your creative endeavors, other times not. Sometimes the muse strikes, other times it vanishes. A creative life is not a clear line from A to B, more like from Z to P to W to D, and that’s OK!

10. Practice gratitude

Like writing, gratitude is a practice. Learn how to be grateful for all that you have. When you are feeling down, just glance at the list to feel better. When you’re feeling great, do the same and feel even greater. Why not create a list in your journal right now, thanking yourself and all the wonderful people and experiences in your life.

Credit: Writers’ Digest

(1) (Reply)

Online It Training For Sap Fico In Worldwide / Uniben Direct Entry 2015/2016 Info / JAMB Postpones Deadline For 2015 D.Entry Sales Of Scratch Card And Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.