Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,610 members, 7,917,953 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 07:01 PM

How Do I Make My Eight Year Old Step Daughter Stop Sucking - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do I Make My Eight Year Old Step Daughter Stop Sucking (2968 Views)

Mother Burnt Her Child's Hand To Stop Her From Sucking Her Fingers (Photos) / Father Carrying His Step Daughter At The Pool. Anything Wrong With The Photo? / Men Should Stop Sucking Their Wife’s Breast, It’s For Babies – Daily Post. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Make My Eight Year Old Step Daughter Stop Sucking by darealistic(f): 6:57pm On May 22, 2015
This is a very tricky situstion . she is so used to it that her teacher said she would abandon her assignments to suck on her thumb, her right thumb for that matter. She would rather get busy suckibg the thumb than use that hand to do anything else.

What do I do? I have tried using subtle story with morals of thumb sucking. Used imagery of thin and disfigured fingers, but she won't stop.

She has become slow, with chores, school work. I dont want her mocked because the others in her class had started doing that.

Wait and hope she outgrows it? sad
Re: How Do I Make My Eight Year Old Step Daughter Stop Sucking by Mcowubaba: 7:07pm On May 22, 2015
hw many years is she..?

If she is over 5years, rub cameroun pepper on her thumb when she is sleeping or when she doesn't know, if she sucks d thumb ehcheesy....(it worked 4 my neighbour's child)
if u scared of the pepper ish, try smth safer like Yoyo bitters or bitter leaf..
Ps..this is a biological means of controlling this situation..
There are other efficient methods!!!....
Sucking thumb is no big deal(esp 4 children), but when the fail to naturally out grow it- na real gobe!!.
Sucess ma...
Re: How Do I Make My Eight Year Old Step Daughter Stop Sucking by darealistic(f): 7:15pm On May 22, 2015
Mcowubaba:
hw many years is she..?

If she is over 5years, rub cameroun pepper on her thumb when she is sleeping or when she doesn't know, if she sucks d thumb ehcheesy....(it worked 4 my neighbour's child)
if u scared of the pepper ish, try smth safer like Yoyo bitters or bitter leaf..
Ps..this is a biological means of controlling this situation..
There are other efficient methods!!!....
Sucking thumb is no big deal(esp 4 children), but when the fail to naturally out grow it- na real gobe!!.
Sucess ma...
thank you. She is eight. Worried about creating a psychological distaste for pepper. undecided grin
Re: How Do I Make My Eight Year Old Step Daughter Stop Sucking by sleeknick: 7:20pm On May 22, 2015
Handcuff her hand go back...
Re: How Do I Make My Eight Year Old Step Daughter Stop Sucking by Nobody: 7:31pm On May 22, 2015
pump her hot slap anytime she does dat

1 Like

Re: How Do I Make My Eight Year Old Step Daughter Stop Sucking by darealistic(f): 7:32pm On May 22, 2015
lofty900:
pump her hot slap anytime she does dat
you are kidding right?

sleeknick:
Handcuff her hand go back...
very funny.
Re: How Do I Make My Eight Year Old Step Daughter Stop Sucking by okhiai1(m): 7:42pm On May 22, 2015
I have the perfect solution

just put aloe vera works like magic

thank me later

1 Like

Re: How Do I Make My Eight Year Old Step Daughter Stop Sucking by Mariecakes(f): 9:32pm On May 22, 2015
darealistic:
This is a very tricky situstion . she is so used to it that her teacher said she would abandon her assignments to suck on her thumb, her right thumb for that matter. She would rather get busy suckibg the thumb than use that hand to do anything else.

What do I do? I have tried using subtle story with morals of thumb sucking. Used imagery of thin and disfigured fingers, but she won't stop.

She has become slow, with chores, school work. I dont want her mocked because the others in her class had started doing that.

Wait and hope she outgrows it? sad
Bitterleaf extract when shes asleep, rub it on all her fingers incase she decides to suck another, if you notice the bitter effect has reduced and she resumes sucking, soak all her fingers in bitterleaf extract..keep doing that, she will get tired of putting bitter fingers in her mouth

1 Like

Re: How Do I Make My Eight Year Old Step Daughter Stop Sucking by Mcowubaba: 9:36pm On May 22, 2015
darealistic:
thank you. She is eight. Worried about creating a psychological distaste for pepper. undecided grin
yeah..u r right...then mak it Yoyo bitters or a safe bitter herbal product..normally most of us have psychological distaste for themgrin so u don't need to be worried..whether u use yoyo bitters nw or not, when she will grow older nd taste it cheesy, believe me she aint gonna like it either...
But let us look @ the bigger picture here, choose 1; a daughter that hates Cameroun pepper(not all types of pepper o) nd Yoyo bitters.........or a grown up daughter that still sucks her fingersad....
As i said earlier, she may naturally out grow it... Nd this method i told u, is not the only efficient method!! ......safe....
Re: How Do I Make My Eight Year Old Step Daughter Stop Sucking by amokeme(f): 11:35pm On May 22, 2015
Mcowubaba:
hw many years is she..?

If she is over 5years, rub cameroun pepper on her thumb.
my friends mum did this to her last born, the girl sucked it and said "mummy I want more pepper" grin and the little girl is just 6

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Make My Eight Year Old Step Daughter Stop Sucking by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:32am On May 23, 2015
Mariecakes:

Bitterleaf extract when shes asleep, rub it on all her fingers incase she decides to suck another, if you notice the bitter effect has reduced and she resumes sucking, soak all her fingers in bitterleaf extract..keep doing that, she will get tired of putting bitter fingers in her mouth

best comment , this option is the most effective

1 Like

Re: How Do I Make My Eight Year Old Step Daughter Stop Sucking by Ewuro4: 5:42am On May 23, 2015
Your stepdaughter? Are you the stepmom/dad?
Re: How Do I Make My Eight Year Old Step Daughter Stop Sucking by Ralphlauren(m): 6:48am On May 23, 2015
Lol @ disfigured fingers/thumb.

My niece sucked her thumb till she was 12/13 years old and her thumb is 100 percent normal grin grin

Her parents did EVERYTHING possible to get her to stop.

Bitter leaf o. Pepper o. Plaster o. Cutting the finger and applying iodine o. Cutting the finger and applying pepper o. Bandage o. Salt o. Spanking her o. Promises of fancy gifts if she stopped o. Name it!

In fact, on one occasion her mom made a deep cut on her finger (out of frustration and anger) that she bled so much and it led to a serious row between her and my uncle when he got home to see their daughter crying and bleeding grin grin. This didn't stop my niece oh. grin

It was so bad that she would even suck the thumb with plaster on grin grin or switch to another finger/thumb while her 'injured favourite" thumb was recuperating. She was gangster grin grin

She gave up on her own when she realised how embarrassing it was and besides her pals at school must have mocked her seriously (which she never admitted to anyways but knowing the school she attended, she must have been the butt of jokes and insults). grin grin

Today, she's a pretty, smart babe and a recent graduate with a 2.1 degree from a top university. wink

So relax, your step daughter will outgrow it.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Make My Eight Year Old Step Daughter Stop Sucking by Smhart1(f): 8:01am On May 23, 2015
My younger sister sucked till jss2, mockery/ shame made her stop herself

1 Like

Re: How Do I Make My Eight Year Old Step Daughter Stop Sucking by Goldenboy007(m): 2:51pm On May 23, 2015
My 2 kid brothers sucked thumbs o when they were babies My mother did everything to no avail. One of the funniest episode was when she decided to wear socks on their sucking hands and tie with rope. Seeing the white socks in place always gave us the confidence they haven't sucked their fingers, they were barely 2 years old. Can you imagine this smart Alec baby removed the sock from the sucking hand and wore it on the non_sucking hand. We never noticed, we were just confidence the sock was still in place until we caught him red handed sucking while the sock was on the wrong hand !!!! Looool ! My mother gave up ! And the boys outgrew it !

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Make My Eight Year Old Step Daughter Stop Sucking by dat9jaguy(m): 10:02pm On May 23, 2015
Nothing can stop a child from sucking his/her thumb until the child is good and ready to kick the habit.
I stopped sucking my thumb when i was 10years old but before then all kinds of things were tried;bitter leaf,bandaged finger,threats,etc no dice.
Then good ol whitlow came and took it away.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Should I Prove It To Her / I Need To Adopt A Newborn Baby ASAP To Savr My Marriage. Any Help? / Okrika UK Wears For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.