Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,087 members, 7,880,390 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 05:22 PM

Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari (29894 Views)

Ministers Without Portfolio Not New In Nigeria, Saraki Tells Buhari / "Keep Quite" Saraki Tells APC Senators / Saraki tells 3 Ex-Presidents, Influential Nigerians To Come To His Rescue-Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by kaboninc(m): 7:38pm On May 26, 2015
PassingShot:

Who is this thing?

I have always known you to have a vacuum filled brain. Now is your chance to prove otherwise.
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by Nobody: 7:48pm On May 26, 2015
Datanet:

GEJ was not right. Under GEJ, subsidy payments grew from 200 billion naira to 1.5 trillion naira. Oil Marketers grew from 30 to 300. Every one who knew someone in PPPRA got a license and started importing. Saraki then raised the alarm in the senate that led to the Presidency removing subsidy in order to stop the wastage. It was a desperate attempt at a bad situation. The solution should be to control subsidy payments and fix refineries. Not to place hardships on Nigerians

Anytime I am wrong i admit my mistake. It is not a sign of weakness but a sign of strength. How do you restrict the number of marketers in a capitalist economy? I cannot accept anything but an apology by anyone that supported the protest. O you want those guys that owned thousands of tankers in the 90's and their collaborators to hold the monopoly of importing refined crude up on till 2015? How wicked of you! The opportunities in Nigeria should be up for grabs by all Nigerians irrespective of Age, religion and tribal differences. The earlier we understand this the better for us.
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by revolt(m): 8:01pm On May 26, 2015
Ttalk:
"adding that subsidy in itself was never a problem to the country but the bad management of the subsidy"
Telling the incoming government to remove subsidy is diversion of responsibility, rather i will want government to restructure the system and make it work thereby making Nigerian using the subsidy management as yardstick to judge the incoming government effectiveness and efficiency.

Let put the cart before horse, Saraki should tell the incoming government to find a lasting solution to make our refinery work. The idea of extracting crude oil only to be refined in the less buoyant economy like Ivory Coast is sickening, abeg!
see them. retrogressives. some still want the subsidy.

madness.
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by revolt(m): 8:05pm On May 26, 2015
MosquitoREBIRTH:
Haba, how do think they'll just reject it out rightly without reason?? Dem be bad-belle? Someone like me rejected it for that singular reason..
ppl like u shld b stoned. u ran to protest wthout evn knwn wht u were protesting. instead of investigating .....u were more intrested in whizkids latest sexcapades.
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by revolt(m): 8:13pm On May 26, 2015
atbu1983:

ok. i agree wit u. my reason 4 rejecting it in 2012 is not good enough. Thank God all of you Jonathan and TANoids want subsidy removal since 2012. it tooks us 3years to understand why you want it removed since 2012. Atleast today we both agree it should go. so we are on d same page.
no its lousy sentimentalists like u tht hve been holdn this country down. do u kniw hwfar wed hve gone in 3 yrs. same lousy reason u ppl shouted cchange sponsored by Tinubu.
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by castrokins(m): 8:13pm On May 26, 2015
Na God Go Punish Saraki And Buhari If They Dare Implement The Same Thing They Vehemently Rejected In 2012
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by Validated: 8:13pm On May 26, 2015
[size=18pt]Lets we forget:[/size]

[size=28pt]"YOU MUST FIX THE RIFINERIES FIRST BEFORE REMOVING SUBSIDIES"[/size] [size=18pt]- Bakare, Buhari, El-Rufai, Sanusi, NLC, Fashola, Dino Milaye, David West, APC (ACN/CPC), et al - (Jan 2012)[/size]
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by godwinkessi: 8:46pm On May 26, 2015
PassingShot:
It's unthinkable that PDP could not get our refineries to work to full capacity in sixteen years!

Can u blame individuals and not party? Party isn't ur president
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by onyeokeze1: 9:23pm On May 26, 2015
Hypocrisy at its finest!! It was occupy Nija but now it will b occupy apc
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by MosquitoREBIRTH(m): 10:09pm On May 26, 2015
revolt:
ppl like u shld b stoned. u ran to protest wthout evn knwn wht u were protesting. instead of investigating .....u were more intrested in whizkids latest sexcapades.
You see the reason why you'll always remain without a brain? Did I tell you I protested? I said I rejected it. Moreover, I wasn't even close to the shores of this country when you guys were deceiving yourselves with subsidy removal. You keep being deceived without asking questions. I'm sorry for you...
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by SonOfEl(m): 10:12pm On May 26, 2015
989900:
For those asking why we were against subsidy in 2011.

We were against it because;

1. We can't fathom how subsidy payments that never exceeded N200-N300b naira for the past years would suddenly leap to N1.3t (roughly 400-500% increase) within the first year thereabout of President GEJ -- we were shocked. #fraud.

2. We also could not fathom how any half-sane man could be drilling oil in his backyard, with 4 refineries in his backyard (with land and space to build more, and 11 licences issued already to build more), but still imports finished petroleum products. (OBJ and GEJ=culprits).

3. To the common Nigerian man, the only 'direct' benefit he gets from the government is, the so called 'subsidized fuel', which we later discovered to be a farce after all . . . so when you are going to take those extra litres/miles from him, or make him pay extra to get them, he has no choice than to revolt/demonstrate/remonstrate.

4. Unless you are among the 1% of the 1%, every other person on the street knows fuel scarcity goes along with insane inflation.

5. You ask him to make sacrifices while the president feeds on N3m/day and has 10 aircrafts in his fleet, his senators get paid more than their counterparts in the richest country on earth. Yet, they find it hard to pay same minimum wage paid in the poorest countries on earth!
How can we trust people of that ilk?

6. ATEOTD, subsidy was partially removed with promises of palliatives, and prosecution of the defrauders aka 'cabals', what did we get?Nothing, bar further fraud and corruption; from bribery scandals up to the speaker of the house (Cabal Otedola, well played) to mismanagement of the said saved funds from subsidy payments.

How can you trust such people?!!
Same people from the NNPC to the Petroleum ministry, to the CBN, to the Finance ministry, Budgets, both houses, up to the presidency that have no reliable database of how much oil is being drilled/sold per day, nor how much NNPC refines locally, nor how much we do consume/day.

stop all this your hypocritical 'sabi-sabi' talk. We know your type.
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by columbus007(m): 10:32pm On May 26, 2015
skondo09:
subsidy ko subsidy ni
i dnt evn read d godo turanchi write up

e sweet me die as i be 2nd persn on dis ftc, i hv been aiming dis 4 d past two mnth since i reg on NL
I have just discovered one dull Nigerian.

2 Likes

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by revolt(m): 10:41pm On May 26, 2015
989900:
For those asking why we were against subsidy in 2011.

We were against it because;

1. We can't fathom how subsidy payments that never exceeded N200-N300b naira for the past years would suddenly leap to N1.3t (roughly 400-500% increase) within the first year thereabout of President GEJ -- we were shocked. #fraud.

2. We also could not fathom how any half-sane man could be drilling oil in his backyard, with 4 refineries in his backyard (with land and space to build more, and 11 licences issued already to build more), but still imports finished petroleum products. (OBJ and GEJ=culprits).

3. To the common Nigerian man, the only 'direct' benefit he gets from the government is, the so called 'subsidized fuel', which we later discovered to be a farce after all . . . so when you are going to take those extra litres/miles from him, or make him pay extra to get them, he has no choice than to revolt/demonstrate/remonstrate.

4. Unless you are among the 1% of the 1%, every other person on the street knows fuel scarcity goes along with insane inflation.

5. You ask him to make sacrifices while the president feeds on N3m/day and has 10 aircrafts in his fleet, his senators get paid more than their counterparts in the richest country on earth. Yet, they find it hard to pay same minimum wage paid in the poorest countries on earth!
How can we trust people of that ilk?

6. ATEOTD, subsidy was partially removed with promises of palliatives, and prosecution of the defrauders aka 'cabals', what did we get?Nothing, bar further fraud and corruption; from bribery scandals up to the speaker of the house (Cabal Otedola, well played) to mismanagement of the said saved funds from subsidy payments.

How can you trust such people?!!
Same people from the NNPC to the Petroleum ministry, to the CBN, to the Finance ministry, Budgets, both houses, up to the presidency that have no reliable database of how much oil is being drilled/sold per day, nor how much NNPC refines locally, nor how much we do consume/day.
so ure solution was for fg to keep paying the subsidy ie the cabals keep recievn trillions.

r u ppl nt mad.
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by skondo09(m): 10:48pm On May 26, 2015
columbus007:
I have just discovered one dull Nigerian.
for ur mind? Ode, oponu
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by persius555(m): 10:51pm On May 26, 2015
Price of PMS elsewhere in the world http://www.globalpetrolprices.com/Nigeria/gasoline_prices/. Ours is pathetic because we have a moribound power sector. Nigerians can survive without subsidy pending when refineries will become fully functional.
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by Nobody: 11:10pm On May 26, 2015
Validated:
[size=18pt]Lets we forget:[/size]

[size=28pt]"YOU MUST FIX THE RIFINERIES FIRST BEFORE REMOVING SUBSIDIES"[/size] [size=18pt]- Bakare, Buhari, El-Rufai, Sanusi, NLC, Fashola, Dino Milaye, David West, APC (ACN/CPC), et al - (Jan 2012)[/size]

O my God. Thanks man. U can imagine. Honestly some southerners are two faced. It is actually a waste of time debating with two faced people on an anonymous forum. Please, lets create filters on this forum thanks.
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by UltimatedeBest(m): 7:12am On May 27, 2015
Saraaaki keep quiet with ur hypocrisy, u don't have moral justification to call for fuel subsidy removal
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by hush15: 7:40am On May 27, 2015
lolababe331e:

It's not hypocrisy, many of us understood the reason for it then but didn't trust GEJ and knew he and his cronies would steal any money saved from paying subsidy. Buhari on the other hand I trust, that's the difference

it's only in Nigeria that hypocrisy is one sided cos of prejudice and being biased.

You say you didn't test Jonathan then, yet more most Nigerians claim that they believed in Jonathan then and that's why they voted him in 2011. As at then, he still had a clean record!

I believe we Nigerians are the very cause of our own problems and its simple, we don't think deeply before acting and appreciate when we should or not. I for one still believe we Nigerians made things difficult for Jonathan, we didn't give the support when we should and disagree when we ought to.

When this man kicked against subsidy back then, he for saw what would eventually happen which is happening now but we all insulted, protested and condemned. Every time the man makes a move, Nigerians don't look to best of it, Nigerians always expect the worst and as bible says, as a man thinks, that's what he gets or so is he! We shouldn't blame Jonathan but ourselves for where Nigeria is today.

I say and I say it emphatically as I always do since 2012, The way forward is for subsidy to go. This country only works when there are no options, largely because we are fond of compromising on our choice out of conflict of interest. this same rule will also work for the refineries. out of necessity, refineries will be forced to work should be the subsidy be scrapped. I have come to appreciate that we are a country that like to put the cart before the horse, so let's scrap the refineries and I am certain that the refineries will be empowered. if not for anything but out of necessity. New investors will emerge and before we know it, you will have refineries everywhere, even for personal use and consumption if I understand my Nigeria too well. If we had cooperated with Jonathan back then, it will only take awhile but by now, we will be reaping a good harvest by now. Employment, Stable oil price with the economy, consistent supply and best part, it will be the epic end of so called cabals. Now, we planning to give another person the glory that rightfully belongs to Jonathan.

Well, that's Nigeria and Nigerians for you. A country where HYPOCRISY is a trade skill and its people thrive in it.

All the best, Ameachi is making a nuisance in Rivers and people are quiet like its OK but you all can complain about Jonathan's cabinet for impunity and financial recklessness.

May God be the judge of all these.
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by fanex: 8:18am On May 27, 2015
the license the market used to import the fuel belongs to the NNPC. NNPC in turn then contract these markets to import the fuel. why couldnt GEJ withdraw the license or issue more of it to other interested people. the power or permission to import rest in the govt so does the power to withdraw the licences.

GEJ is the cabal. google the requirement to import petrol and you will discover its almost impossible to meet and that before the bribery you have to give NNPC.

lexy2014:
D reason y diesel isn't being sold 4 N20 isn't because of d cabals but due 2 price regulation by d govt thru petroleum products price regulatory agency (PPPRA). If d govt had decided 2 deregulate by handing off price regulation and licensing local refining of products then diesel will sell 4 N20 and cooking gas will b in every home. 2 say GEJ didn't have control over d cabals means he failed. If he had deregulated, he would have weakened d so called cabal but he allowed them flourish. remember, they didn't force jonathan 2 make them import fuel. GEj actually patronised them. I believe d so called cabal were friends and cronies
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by fanex: 8:23am On May 27, 2015
they said that because they know theres nothing wrong with the refineries. all he needed was the WILL to stop people from stealing and make sure the refinery operates optimally. our refineries exports PMS.
AdamsBashforth:

O my God. Thanks man. U can imagine. Honestly some southerners are two faced. It is actually a waste of time debating with two faced people on an anonymous forum. Please, lets create filters on this forum thanks.
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by lexy2014: 8:58am On May 27, 2015
fanex:
the license the market used to import the fuel belongs to the NNPC. NNPC in turn then contract these markets to import the fuel. why couldnt GEJ withdraw the license or issue more of it to other interested people. the power or permission to import rest in the govt so does the power to withdraw the licences.

GEJ is the cabal. google the requirement to import petrol and you will discover its almost impossible to meet and that before the bribery you have to give NNPC.

U are blessed bros. D way d govt d looked helpless against d so called cabal, I used 2 ask people "are these cabals ghost? Dem no get address"? Bros u delivered d knock out punch
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by lexy2014: 9:17am On May 27, 2015
Bollinger:
In a normal capitalist society, fuel subsidy does not and should not exist. America pumps oil massively and it's citizens don't enjoy that kind of perk. Market forces determine price hence the term capitalism. Of course Nigerians don't understand that; they want to have their cake and eat it as well. Stup.id people.
D people aren't d problem, d govt is d problem. What obtains in nigeria is price regulation. Thru d petroleum products price regulatory agency (PPPRA), d govt regularly adjusts prices as it suits it and tells us its deregulation. Deregulation begins when d govt hands off pricing of petroleum products and then licences private investors local and foreign 2 build refineries. By so doing, pricing will b market controlled. Products will b available yanfu yanfu. By-products such as cooking gas will b in every home. Its just d way GSM sim has crashed from N35,000 2 N100 with I beg

1 Like

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by lexy2014: 9:39am On May 27, 2015
PedroJP:

Thank u bro. Fools forever they are.

They think they are playing politics, really showing their stupidity and ignorance. Track back to 2012, they took to the streets to show their ignorance out of incitement by pple who have them under control. Now, it seems they'v used Hypo on their eyes that they now demand its removal. This has only made Yorubas same with Hausas in the league of those drawing us back in this Zoo.
Yes, that's y we had a man with a Ph.D in zoology as our president 4d past 4years...who d cap fits

1 Like

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by GreatEngineer(m): 9:39am On May 27, 2015
I was in support of fuel subsidy removal in 2012 and am also in support of it removal now, it is only those that does not have any single idea of the looting through the fuel subsidy stuff that will not support it removal.

In 2012, most APC supporter were against it, now APC is in power, I hope PDP supporter would allow this subsidy to be remove in the interest of Nigerians and our economy and not act the same way as their APC counterpart during 2012.

Nigerians interest is paramount to any political party interest, be it PDP, APC, KOWA,...., etc

Lets build Nigeria together!
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by lexy2014: 9:59am On May 27, 2015
hush15:

it's only in Nigeria that hypocrisy is one sided cos of prejudice and being biased.

You say you didn't test Jonathan then, yet more most Nigerians claim that they believed in Jonathan then and that's why they voted him in 2011. As at then, he still had a clean record!

I believe we Nigerians are the very cause of our own problems and its simple, we don't think deeply before acting and appreciate when we should or not. I for one still believe we Nigerians made things difficult for Jonathan, we didn't give the support when we should and disagree when we ought to.

When this man kicked against subsidy back then, he for saw what would eventually happen which is happening now but we all insulted, protested and condemned. Every time the man makes a move, Nigerians don't look to best of it, Nigerians always expect the worst and as bible says, as a man thinks, that's what he gets or so is he! We shouldn't blame Jonathan but ourselves for where Nigeria is today.

I say and I say it emphatically as I always do since 2012, The way forward is for subsidy to go. This country only works when there are no options, largely because we are fond of compromising on our choice out of conflict of interest. this same rule will also work for the refineries. out of necessity, refineries will be forced to work should be the subsidy be scrapped. I have come to appreciate that we are a country that like to put the cart before the horse, so let's scrap the refineries and I am certain that the refineries will be empowered. if not for anything but out of necessity. New investors will emerge and before we know it, you will have refineries everywhere, even for personal use and consumption if I understand my Nigeria too well. If we had cooperated with Jonathan back then, it will only take awhile but by now, we will be reaping a good harvest by now. Employment, Stable oil price with the economy, consistent supply and best part, it will be the epic end of so called cabals. Now, we planning to give another person the glory that rightfully belongs to Jonathan.

Well, that's Nigeria and Nigerians for you. A country where HYPOCRISY is a trade skill and its people thrive in it.

All the best, Ameachi is making a nuisance in Rivers and people are quiet like its OK but you all can complain about Jonathan's cabinet for impunity and financial recklessness.

May God be the judge of all these.
I started hearing about fuel subsidy from d IBB regime although there had been fuel price increase as far back as d gowon regime. B4 1985, nigeria was self sufficient in terms refining petroleum products. During IBB era, a new means of making money was devised,removing FUEL SUBSIDY under d guise of SAP. By denying d refineries periodic maintenance, production dropped. This coupled with increasing demand 4 petroleum products, d govt at d time resorted 2 importation 2 augment local production. This obnoxious policy was inherited by successive govts cos of how "lucrative" it was. What our govts have done since then is 2 adjust price of products thru petroleum products price regulatory agency(PPPRA) in d name of DEREGULATION and removal of fuel subsidy when in actual fact they are REGULATING. With deregulation, govt hands off fixing d price of petroleum products 4 operators at d same time, licenses investors both local and foreign 2 refine and market. With this, products will b available at market price not PPPRA price. By-products especially cooking gas will b in abundance since its a "waste" producers will like 2 cash in on. Just like in telcoms were price of sim crashed from N35,000 2 N100 with I beg, petroleum products will b like pure water. This is how 2 end fuel subsidy fraud. GEJ missed it
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by 989900: 1:03pm On May 27, 2015
revolt:
so ure solution was for fg to keep paying the subsidy ie the cabals keep recievn trillions.

r u ppl nt mad.

Reading and comprehension though close, are not exactly the same thing.

We obviously only asked for our government to be accountable, reasonable and self-sacrificing.

For further explanation, re-read my initial post 2 times again.

1 Like

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by kaboninc(m): 1:26pm On May 27, 2015
fanex:

Did you actually write that up there?
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by fanex: 2:23pm On May 27, 2015
NO O... i prayed onto my computer screen.
kaboninc:

Did you actually write that up there?

1 Like

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by kaboninc(m): 3:55pm On May 27, 2015
fanex:
NO O... i prayed onto my computer screen.

Whether you prayed onto or into your computer screen, you need to reconsider what you wrote there.
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by fanex: 11:10am On May 28, 2015
help me now please. no energy to pray today.
kaboninc:

Whether you prayed onto or into your computer screen, you need to reconsider what you wrote there.
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by hariorh: 2:09pm On May 28, 2015
Its simply amazing that those arguing in favour of total subsidy removal have all failed to mention the fact that it was removed partially in 2012 but no notable development has been recorded since then, rather things got worse...

What exactly is the benefit of its removal?

undecided
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by Abagworo(m): 12:49am On May 12, 2016
Has it come to pass?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Corpse Of Gov. Shettima's Aide Who Died In Fatal Accident Arrives Borno(pics) / Kogi West: Dino Melaye Speaks On The Conduct Of The Election (Video) / Obi And Tinubu To Appear Before Arewa Joint Committee Tomorrow (Monday)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.