Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,886 members, 7,879,707 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 04:23 AM

Enugu Launches Free Internet Service - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu Launches Free Internet Service (2688 Views)

Aisha Buhari Launches Free Health Screening In Ibadan, Oyo State (Pics) / El-Rufai Launches Free Meals For Students (Pics) / Agbaje Promises Free Internet Access To Lagosians If He Wins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by asha80(m): 9:16am On Feb 16, 2009
Enugu launches free internet service http://www.vanguardngr.com/content/view/28842/45/
Written by Tony Edike
Sunday, 15 February 2009

ENUGU—GOVERNOR Sullivan Chime of Enugu State yesterday, launched a free city wide wireless internet service in the coal city, saying his administration was determined to transform the state into one of the most technologically advanced state in the country.
Speaking during the launch, Chime said that the project which is a collaborative effort between the state government ad Zinox Technologies Ltd, an indigenous information communication technology (ICT) provider, was aimed at enriching knowledge base and enhancing access to new ideas and sources of obtaining up-to-date information on virtually all issues that daily agitate the minds of the people.

According to him, such ventures will provide platforms that would lead to the rapid technological development of the state and the country, stressing that if the people can be made to be computer and internet-compliant, “then we would have started the journey to social rejuvenation and economic prosperity on a bright note”.

He said, “It is a well-known fact that the internet has occupied and will continue to occupy a critical position in the development of nations and the enthronement of progressive ideas which will propel peoples and countries on the path of greatness. There are many instances all over the world where young men and women had utilized the platform provided by internet to make new findings. The question is: why not our own people?”

Is this real or cheap govt propaganda?Is it the real priority at the moment?
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by Nobody: 11:56am On Feb 16, 2009
Seems these selfish and corrupt governors are beginning to wake up.
Though, this development is laudable; i foresee the rise in Internet scams. undecided
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by Kobojunkie: 2:33pm On Feb 16, 2009
LOL . . . . I still wonder how much of the population can afford/have computers to access this free internet.
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by aieromon(m): 2:50pm On Feb 16, 2009
this is akin to putting the cart before the house.u launch a wifi network without assessing the computer per house ratio?pleaseeeeee

so sickening!!!
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by Nobody: 4:59pm On Feb 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

LOL . . . . I still wonder how much of the population can afford/have computers to access this free internet.

I also have the same concern as you do, but since its privately funded, then its a win-win situation for the government and residents of that state.

Person wey no get computer, make him use him mobile fone dey browse for the main time. tongue
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by Kobojunkie: 5:10pm On Feb 16, 2009
nuzo:

I also have the same concern as you do, but since its privately funded, then its a win-win situation for the government and residents of that state.

Person wey no get computer, make him use him mobile fone dey browse for the main time. tongue

I am not sure it works that way. You still have to pay for internet on your phone, free wifi or none. I think this benefits the company involved. Entice more people with free internet and sales of computers are sure to go up. Problem is, if other computer marketers get into the market, then this company may end up short changed.
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by Nobody: 5:35pm On Feb 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I am not sure it works that way. You still have to pay for internet on your phone, free wifi or none. I think this benefits the company involved. Entice more people with free internet and sales of computers are sure to go up. Problem is, if other computer marketers get into the market, then this company may end up short changed.

Seriously, am not well schooled like you guys in this technology thingy, so, i want to know if mobile phones with wifi needs special technology to hook up in a free internet zone?
Having asked the above question, i still believe that Zinox will gain much more even if HP and DELL decide to build a plant in Enugu. A lot of computers are going to be needed.
As far as am concerned, its a very big opportunity for Zinox, enugu govt and the residents of the state.

Its a win-win-win situation.
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by Kobojunkie: 5:50pm On Feb 16, 2009
nuzo:

Seriously, am not well schooled like you guys in this technology thingy, so, i want to know if mobile phones with wifi needs special technology to hook up in a free internet zone?

I am not sure cell phones can hook up to free wifi at all.

nuzo:
Having asked the above question, i still believe that Zinox will gain much more even if HP and DELL decide to build a plant in Enugu. A lot of computers are going to be needed.
As far as am concerned, its a very big opportunity for Zinox, enugu govt and the residents of the state.

Its a win-win-win situation.

Don't get me wrong here! I believe it will pay Zinox; I believe this is an excellent move to increase it's customer base and increase sales, but I question the actual involvement of the government here. What part exactly did the government play in all this is what I would like to know. I think this is just all Zinox and little or not government but the government wanting so badly to be named with this.

I mean I definitely will be doing all I can to take advantage of the move in the near future. I do wonder, with no electricity to  most of the schools, how do the students take advantage of this? You give me a solution there and jackpot!
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by Nobody: 6:14pm On Feb 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Even smart phones?

Don't get me wrong here! I believe it will pay Zinox; I believe this is an excellent move to increase it's customer base and increase sales, but I question the actual involvement of the government here. What part exactly did the government play in all this is what I would like to know. I think this is just all Zinox and little or not government but the government wanting so badly to be named with this.

I mean I definitely will be doing all I can to take advantage of the move in the near future. I do wonder, with no electricity to  most of the schools, how do the students take advantage of this? You give me a solution there and jackpot!

The ultimate solution and big jackpot is for nigerians to stop being cowards, hypocrites and sycophants. They should stand up and demand an efficient and effective leadership. The rest will be history.
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by texazzpete(m): 6:30pm On Feb 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

hundreds of WLAN equipped Cellphones can connect to ANY wifi source, free or otherwise. All Nokia N- and E- Series devices, most smartphones made since 2008, iPhones, iPod Touch etc.

Kobojunkie:

I mean I definitely will be doing all I can to take advantage of the move in the near future. I do wonder, with no electricity to most of the schools, how do the students take advantage of this? You give me a solution there and jackpot!

1. Not everyone is a student
2. Many schools have electrical power in the state.
3. Free internet access opens up a new hub of information for people in their formative years. We're talking about online knowledge repositories and dictionaries among other things
4. Lots of legit business models to be pursued on the internet. This will also accelerate computer literacy and internet awareness
5. A great boon to jobseekers who need internet access to apply for jobs.

Naturally, this has a a pretty major side effect of tripling 419 and online scams from that region cry
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by Kobojunkie: 6:35pm On Feb 16, 2009
texazzpete:

hundreds of WLAN equipped Cellphones can connect to ANY wifi source, free or otherwise. All Nokia N- and E- Series devices, most smartphones made since 2008, iPhones, iPod Touch etc.

my first hearing of this.

texazzpete:
1. Not everyone is a student
2. Many schools have electrical power in the state.
3. Free internet access opens up a new hub of information for people in their formative years. We're talking about online knowledge repositories and dictionaries among other things
4. Lots of legit business models to be pursued on the internet. This will also accelerate computer literacy and internet awareness
5. A great boon to jobseekers who need internet access to apply for jobs.

Naturally, this has a a pretty major side effect of tripling 419 and online scams from that region cry

Like I said, I am not questioning the benefit of having internet in any state. However, my comments are clear on this.

You did mention many schools having electrical power, and I have to ask since that is what I am more concerned about, can you name some of these schools?
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by naijaking1: 6:36pm On Feb 16, 2009
It's a great news for Enugu. No question some people would use the internet to commit crimes, but the majority will use it to improve their lives. Do you stop building a highway because armed robbers might use it?
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by Nobody: 6:38pm On Feb 16, 2009
texazzpete:

Kobo was beginning to convince me that i already have the special phone the blackberry company was making for Obama. cheesy
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by texazzpete(m): 6:39pm On Feb 16, 2009
aieromon:

this is akin to putting the cart before the house.u launch a wifi network without assessing the computer per house ratio?pleaseeeeee

so sickening!!!

WTF has the computer-to-household ratio got to do with anything? There are tens of thousands of people with wifi enabled devices who could potentially use this service to improve their lives. Do we expect the government to provide computers for all?

We need to move forward from a nation of TV and motor repairers and move to a nation of innovators. The key to this is education and enlightenment. Since people aren't keen on reading books anymore, the only other viable alternative is the internet.
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by Kobojunkie: 6:42pm On Feb 16, 2009
nuzo:

Kobo was beginning to convince me that i already have the special phone the blackberry company was making for Obama. cheesy

I told you I was not sure. No convincing there.
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by MrCrackles(m): 6:43pm On Feb 16, 2009
Topic

Not sure about this, talking about misplaced priority!

Good news for yahoo yahoo boys sha
! cheesy
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by texazzpete(m): 6:46pm On Feb 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

my first hearing of this.

That's dissapointing, coming from you, being an IT person and all  grin

Kobojunkie:

You did mention many schools having electrical power, and I have to ask since that is what I am more concerned about, can you name some of these schools?

I don't live in Enugu, i've hardly ever been in that state either. But it's a long shot to assume that many schools in that state (especially the urban, metropolitan areas) lack electricity. using my experience of Abia state (did my NYSC there in 2004/2005) as an analogy, i'd say many schools would have power.

Y'know, i've always been fiercely opposed to people insinuating you have an overly dim view of the Nigerian situation, but it's extremely pessimistic to feel that most schools lack any form of electrical power. Lots of schools must have power of some sort, if only to run their physics and chemistry labs.  grin
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by Kobojunkie: 6:47pm On Feb 16, 2009
MrCrackles:

Topic

! cheesy

It is a private move, I am guessing all government did was show up and approve the plan. Apart from Yahoo boyz!! Computer sales will definitely go up in the state. That to me will put a lot of money in pockets like mine  grin.
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by Nobody: 6:48pm On Feb 16, 2009
MrCrackles:

Topic

! cheesy
cheesy cheesy grin Good news for Method-Man grin grin grin
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by MrCrackles(m): 6:49pm On Feb 16, 2009
HeatFusion:

U dey craze
Wetin concern me concern scam?!
angry grin cheesy
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by Nobody: 6:52pm On Feb 16, 2009
HeatFusion:

ROFLMAO
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by MrCrackles(m): 6:52pm On Feb 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

It is a private move, I am guessing all government did was show up and approve the plan. Apart from Yahoo boyz!! Computer sales will definitely go up in the state. That to me will put a lot of money in pockets like mine  grin.

Uhmm so u sef be computer dealer Kobo? cheesy grin

Yeah it looks like it was all a "Sign Here" agreement and the government did so without hesistation!!

The greatest challenge this move will pose is maintenance and sabotage, but we will see
! tongue
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by MrCrackles(m): 6:52pm On Feb 16, 2009
ibkaye:

ROFLMAO

What is funny?

Dem tell you say i dey live Enugu
? cheesy
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by Nobody: 6:53pm On Feb 16, 2009
MrCrackles:

U dey craze
Wetin concern me concern scam?!
angry grin cheesy
Ask me again. . . .berra keep quiet before your asiri tu. cheesy cheesy
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by Nobody: 6:54pm On Feb 16, 2009
MrCrackles:

What is funny?

Dem tell you say i dey live Enugu
? cheesy
Buahahaha cheesy
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by Treetop20(m): 6:54pm On Feb 16, 2009
yet another one
bites the "dumb" dust
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by Kobojunkie: 6:54pm On Feb 16, 2009
MrCrackles:

Uhmm so u sef be computer dealer Kobo? cheesy grin

Yeah it looks like it was all a "Sign Here" agreement and the government did so without hesistation!!

The greatest challenge this move will pose is maintenance and sabotage, but we will see
! tongue

Cheaper Satellite arrives in Nigeria next year so either way!! The good thing is this deal is going to be maintained by a foreign company.
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by naijaking1: 6:54pm On Feb 16, 2009
MrCrackles:

Topic

! cheesy

Sorry, I don't share your pessimism. Remember my earlier question: do we stop constructing a highway, just because some armed robbers will use it to lunch attack? And ignore all other advantages thereof?
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by Nobody: 6:55pm On Feb 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Cheaper Satellite arrives in Nigeria next year so either way!! The good thing is this deal is going to be maintained by a foreign company.
Wow Nigeria [i]is [/i]moving forward.
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by texazzpete(m): 6:56pm On Feb 16, 2009
Let me share something with you guys.

When i was young, i was an avid reader. I read all about Space, the planets and astronomy. At pry 4 i already knew all about Goddard's liquid fuel rocket, and i spent time working on rocket designs and dreaming of how i could obtain saltpetre to make a solid fuel rocket of my own. In JSS all i could think about was telemetry and satellites and two stage rockets etc
I never followed up on any of those dreams for a myriad of reasons. but perhaps if all things had clicked maybe i could have done something really standout, instead of being yet another generic (though decently paid  grin) petroleum engineer.

People don't read anymore. no one does what we did those days, grabbing atlases and encyclopaedias and novels and stuff to sift for information. So where do the ideas come from?

That's why we need the internet in more homes, in more environments, so people can expand their horizons. So even if 100 people do 419, one may do just what that guy did in East Africa and build a windmill for his village.

Why am i bringing this up? Not everything has to begin and end with Power and food and water. Sometimes we need tools to feed minds, to help others grow.
if we truly believe Knowledge is power, why are some of us calling this 'misplaced priority'?!
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by Kobojunkie: 6:58pm On Feb 16, 2009
HeatFusion:

Wow Nigeria [i]is [/i]moving forward.

I won't really say it is moving forward but it is opportunity for organizations that have in the past had a hard time going in to help people, to really do good work. For all we know, Zinox might end this deal next year BUT at least for organizations who have had a hard time putting computers shipped every year to Nigeria online, this is a needed break! As for electricity supply? That remains the big hiccup even I have had to deal with in my line. Many of the schools I have tried to get in touch which do not have electricity supply ( and we are not speaking generators) but, this might do it.
Re: Enugu Launches Free Internet Service by MrCrackles(m): 6:58pm On Feb 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Ah oh well, let us hope they are allowed to do thier job! cheesy

Meanwhile Kobo, can i place an order for 200 laptops in anticipation of the roll out

As you know there will be enough scampering and hampering by my Enugu brother/sistas?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar / Moving The SE/SS(Igbo Communities) Forward / David Mark Being Groomed To Take Over From Jonathan In 2015 - Wikileaks.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.