Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,859 members, 7,872,856 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 12:30 AM

10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage (2265 Views)

Mother's Day: Share Those Annoying Things Your Mum Used To Do You Now Appreciate / Things Your Fiancé/ husband Is Better Off Not Knowing. / 10 Things Your Mother Never Told You… Warning! This Will Leave You In Tears! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by YoBoyfwend(m): 7:35am On May 31, 2015
Studies have shown the many positive effects of marriage on couples. Happy partners are known to have healthier, longer and wealthier lives. Well, here is something that we want all the married couples to take a note of. Very few married couples realise that their children too benefit tremendously when they see their parents happily married to each other.
Kids who observe happiness in their parents’ relationship are reported to do better in studies, have a higher sense of self-esteem and are less likely to face any behavioural issues. You can spend hours lecturing your children on how to be loving, kind and forgiving, but they learn the most by observing how you behave with each other. Please note that- those little eyes and ears are picking up everything!
So, all you couples who have kids or are on the family way, read on to know what your little ones are learning from your marriage.
#1. What “marriage” means
Marriage falls off the priority list for most couples after a few years of being together and having kids. When you direct your energy towards having a happy and healthy marriage, it sends a message to your kids that marriage is a meaningful and healthy relationship. It is a relationship where two people willingly and lovingly support each other through life. When parents stay connected as friends and lovers, their kids learn that marriage is indeed a lovely bond that is for keeps!
#2. How to be a “happy” family
Apart from your demanding careers, you both also have the task of raising your child. Sadly, most kids see their parents only slaving away- both at work and at home. Remember, having fun is an important aspect of family life as well. When you regularly take out quality time to sit, enjoy and relax with your family, it shows your kids that parenting is not a miserable, frustrating “job”. It shows them how “happy” family life can be.
#3. The art of handling differences
Conflicts and differences in a marriage are common. How you deal with such conflicts will send out a strong message to your children. When you handle your conflicts in a mature and open manner in front of your kids, it shows them how they too should handle difficult situations in a relationship. So, instead of slamming doors, cursing out loud, giving the silent treatment, or running away from each other, handle things in a calm, composed and graceful manner. Or, shall we say, like a mature adult!
#4. How to negotiate and compromise
Talking about conflicts and differences, your marriage will also be teaching your kids an important lesson on “negotiating” and “compromising” in a relationship. It is necessary to listen respectfully to their partner’s point of view and work together to find solutions to the issues at hand. The way parents negotiate through their differences and make small adjustments and compromises to reach the final decision, will have a huge impact on the kids.
#5. The meaning of commitment
When either of you are going through a low phase, or battling an illness or facing financial troubles- your kids note the strength of your commitment towards each other and your marriage. They learn that when the going gets tough, the tough gets going, together!
#6. Art of showing respect
Your children will always be paying attention to how you talk to your partner, and also how you talk about him/her to others. So, keep in mind that there is a huge difference between fighting in rage and resolving a dispute amicably. Parents’ anger and disrespect towards each other has a negative impact on their kids. As a parent you should teach them how conflicts can be resolved peacefully. And, this way you would have taught them a big life lesson that will stay with them forever.
#7. Importance of appreciating
No one likes to be “taken for granted”, right? Whether it is in personal life or professional- a little appreciation and praise can do wonders for anyone’s self-esteem. Most of the married couples often forget that how important and healthy it is for a relationship, to show a little appreciation towards your partner from time to time. Well, if you appreciate your partner for the little things they do, your kids also learn the importance of appreciating and praising, especially for a healthy and happy marriage.
#8. Unconditional love and forgiveness
As you forgive each other for the little mistakes in your everyday life, your children learn that we all make mistakes and that love is all about getting past those and offering our unconditional love and support to your partner. They understand the importance of apologising and forgiveness in a relationship.
#9. Expressing affection
Children should see friendship and affection between their parents. When they see their parents demonstrating affection for each other by holding hands, hugging, cuddling, they learn that how healthy it is to express their feelings. You want your kids to be affectionate and loving, well then teach them this by showing it off, and not just by preaching it.
#10. Relationships are a two-way street
Marriage, or any other relationship in life, is a two-way street. It should be a place where both partners do things for each other with love and respect. Kids need to know that relationships should be about “we” and “us”; and, this they learn by watching their parents. From sharing responsibilities to working together as a team- when your kids see you both doing things like these willingly for one another, it has a great impact on them on them. They too learn how important these are for a happy relationship.
Children are keen observers; they make a note of every detail of the relationship their parents share. Well, as we said before, those little eyes and ears are picking up everything, so are you sure you and your husband are sending out the right signals?

http://nwdailyblog.com/10-surprising-things-your-kids-learn-from-your-marriage/

2 Likes

Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by YoBoyfwend(m): 7:36am On May 31, 2015
Naija children dey learn
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by Nobody: 8:28am On May 31, 2015
Hmmm...
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by gostartit(m): 12:18pm On May 31, 2015
They also learn the bad and ugly part if dad and mom fight or curse each other in front of the kids.
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by Nobody: 6:17pm On May 31, 2015
Wen i was a child, i knew wen my parents were not happy wit each oda. there were days dad will ask mum to relax, that he will cook for her. on those days, we will be so happy seeing dad cook and serve. i always prayed to have a man lik that and God gave me. u may think ur children dont notice but they do. There are so many romantic things i learnt from my parents that is spicing up my marriage.

1 Like

Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by Moana(f): 8:30pm On May 31, 2015
These are the posts that should be making FP

Lalasticala
Ishilove
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by Flashh: 8:46pm On May 31, 2015
Moana:
These are the posts that should be making FP

Lalas ticala
Ishil ove
Post that has a very poor plagiarism.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by KanwuliaJara: 9:44pm On May 31, 2015
HOW TO SHOUT LIKE AFRICAN JUNGLE BITCHEEEEZ!!!!! cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by SAMBARRY: 12:32pm On Jun 01, 2015
KanwuliaJara:
HOW TO SHOUT LIKE AFRICAN JUNGLE BITCHEEEEZ!!!!! cool
yeah you so right grin like this

Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by oloyede252(m): 12:58pm On Jun 01, 2015
SAMBARRY:

RECIEVE

SENSE
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by SAMBARRY: 1:05pm On Jun 01, 2015
grin grin

Oloshide cheesy
oloyede252:

RECIEVE

SENSE
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by oloyede252(m): 1:17pm On Jun 01, 2015
SAMBARRY:
grin grin

Oloshide cheesy
2 Surprising Things Your Kids(if you have any)Learn From Your Marriage is curse curse
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by oloyede252(m): 2:21pm On Jun 01, 2015
SAMBARRY:
isn't this what you learnt from yours wink
like your colleague in the business of beastie grin
madam,is that your father?wtf
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by SAMBARRY: 4:23pm On Jun 01, 2015
oloyede252:

madam,is that your father?wtf
That's your fellow colleagues in the industry of beastia wink grin
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jun 01, 2015
Can you please put some paragraphs in this write-up? undecided
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by KanwuliaJara: 7:25pm On Jun 01, 2015
SAMBARRY:

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
Welcome back from "fuel scarcity" o! cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by SAMBARRY: 7:55pm On Jun 01, 2015
KanwuliaJara:

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
Welcome back from "fuel scarcity" o! cheesy
thank you o my dear. So you noticed my absence? cheesy

fuel scarcity for lagos no be small thing o.i hear aam . In fact grin

before I see fuel buy I couldn't even stay in that long que.i won't lie I had to bribe those police men at the station, the manager at the station and the fuel attendants there with 3k each and manager 5k so to avoid roforofo from others at the que the petrol manager told me to sit in his office and let his boys that aren't on uniform drive in my car through the back gate and they will signal me to drive away when they're done. As they fuel my car, girl I felt relieved but it wasn't easy
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by SAMBARRY: 7:57pm On Jun 01, 2015
@ KanwuliaJara how did you even figure out that petrol scarcity was my reason for being offline all this while sef? cheesy
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by KanwuliaJara: 9:41pm On Jun 01, 2015
SAMBARRY:
@ KanwuliaJara how did you even figure out that petrol scarcity was my reason for being offline all this while sef? cheesy

Haba!
Is my IQ that low on NL?

NL was like ARLINTON CEMETARY at midnight ke! grin
You could tell those who were sleeping in darkness in that una Naija JUNGO on NL ke! grin
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by KanwuliaJara: 9:41pm On Jun 01, 2015
DupliPost! kiss
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by KanwuliaJara: 9:44pm On Jun 01, 2015
SAMBARRY:
thank you o my dear. So you noticed my absence? cheesy

fuel scarcity for lagos no be small thing o.i hear aam . In fact grin

before I see fuel buy I couldn't even stay in that long que.i won't lie I had to bribe those police men at the station, the manager at the station and the fuel attendants there with 3k each and manager 5k so to avoid roforofo from others at the que the petrol manager told me to sit in his office and let his boys that aren't on uniform drive in my car through the back gate and they will signal me to drive away when they're done. As they fuel my car, girl I felt relieved but it wasn't easy

Muhahahahahaha

You were not alone my dear!
It was very obvious that NL WAS REALLY LOCATED IN ONE OGUN BUSH! grin
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by SAMBARRY: 10:33pm On Jun 01, 2015
KanwuliaJara:

Muhahahahahaha

You were not alone my dear!
It was very obvious that NL WAS REALLY LOCATED IN ONE OGUN BUSH! grin
hahaha it affected everything o.even mtn and air tel announced that they'll be closing by 1pm.network was crazy. It was that day I realised nigeria is nothing without petrol. Everything is depending on petrol and so when the scarcity started every thing came to a halt. The banks were all closed. I couldn't even use the atm. It was a terrible week. Every facet was affected. No light sef. My laptops went dead, phones dead and still had to be at work. My dear it was horrible .
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by SAMBARRY: 10:43pm On Jun 01, 2015
grin cheesy grin grin

You can say that again. I just hope this dispensation will bring real change. My baby sef had heat rash all over her body. There was no even water. Electricity that use to make water available in the house wasn't available. I had to go to super market to buy several bags of water with pos.na now things just dey normalize but foodstuffs are so scarce and scanty in the market sef. The market women complained that the people who bring in food couldn't get transport to transport the food stuffs to lagos because of this same fuel issue. Even worthless things have become expensive. It's so sad and annoying
KanwuliaJara:

Haba!
Is my IQ that low on NL?

NL was like ARLINTON CEMETARY at midnight ke! grin
You could tell those who were sleeping in darkness in that una Naija JUNGO on NL ke! grin
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by cococandy(f): 10:53pm On Jun 01, 2015
OP I assume you meant to say things kids learn from a good marriage.

If it is one where abuse is rife, that's all they will learn.
May God help us and may we help ourselves to be good examples to our kids
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by Ewuro4: 11:10pm On Jun 01, 2015
YoBoyfwend:
Naija children dey learn

That's offensive or Are you a Zimbabwean?

@OP true ALL your points. Kids emulate their parents footsteps and teachings.
We dont have superpowers but mostly rely on God to help us raise them the right way.
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by KanwuliaJara: 12:02am On Jun 02, 2015
SAMBARRY:
hahaha it affected everything o.even mtn and air tel announced that they'll be closing by 1pm.network was crazy. It was that day I realised nigeria is nothing without petrol. Everything is depending on petrol and so when the scarcity started every thing came to a halt. The banks were all closed. I couldn't even use the atm. It was a terrible week. Every facet was affected. No light sef. My laptops went dead, phones dead and still had to be at work. My dear it was horrible .

What a life!
See man-made disaster!
Shegey waka! grin
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by SAMBARRY: 7:20am On Jun 02, 2015
KanwuliaJara:

What a life!
See man-made disaster!
Shegey waka! grin
I'm telling you. Can youIimagine. Even countries that don't produce oil don't have this type of problem. In fact sometimes I wish oil wasn't discovered. All this b.s won't be happening. The day nigeria discovered oil was the beginning of Nigeria's wahala on a larger scale.
It's a pity and shame
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by Nobody: 7:30am On Jun 02, 2015
SAMBARRY:
I'm telling you. Can youIimagine. Even countries that don't produce oil don't have this type of problem. In fact sometimes I wish oil wasn't discovered. All this b.s won't be happening. The day nigeria discovered oil was the beginning of Nigeria's wahala on a larger scale.
It's a pity and shame

abi o.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by YoBoyfwend(m): 7:00pm On Jun 02, 2015
Ewuro4:

That's offensive or Are you a Zimbabwean?

@OP true ALL your points. Kids emulate their parents footsteps and teachings.
We dont have superpowers but mostly rely on God to
help us raise them the right way.
was kidding...
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by YoBoyfwend(m): 7:02pm On Jun 02, 2015
Flashh:

Post that has a very poor plagiarism.
where is your own topic sir
Re: 10 Surprising Things Your Kids Learn From Your Marriage by Flashh: 7:05pm On Jun 02, 2015
YoBoyfwend:
where is your own topic sir
Am i the poster? undecided Check your post no paragraph... Very poor copy and paste. undecided

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Men, What Could Warrant You To Hit A Woman? / How Do I Handle This Issue / Has She Been An Advantage Or A Disadvantage To You.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.