Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,807 members, 7,965,975 topics. Date: Friday, 04 October 2024 at 06:24 AM

How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC (30780 Views)

Fayose In Fresh Trouble For Alleged Diversion Of N8.877bn Paris Club Refund / World Bank Officials Drown In Nigeria's In Egbe Dam In Egbe Ekiti / Fayose: Zenith Bank Officials Kneeling To Beg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by ceejay80s(m): 5:53pm On May 31, 2015
basilo101:
Which part of the country dominates the list? Sophisticated looters
which part are u from

1 Like

Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by ceejay80s(m): 5:55pm On May 31, 2015
M4gunners:
Now this is what i call collectiv thieves. But what were EFCC doing all this while?
sucking b r e a s t
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by ayindejimmy(m): 5:56pm On May 31, 2015
basilo101:
Which part of the country dominates the list? Sophisticated looters
I was waiting 4 this...
A bigot on the loose!

1 Like

Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by Nobody: 5:59pm On May 31, 2015
moreInchies:
Baba Buhari prosecute dem...

Am very discouraged. My penis is too small
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by meforyou1(m): 6:14pm On May 31, 2015
Truth be said. Yorubas are just too damned fraudulent
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by davspog2(m): 6:44pm On May 31, 2015
[b][/b]
princdebola201:
at Least they re not going to die by Firing squads like ur [b][/b]Flat Head brothers being Killed like Fish in Asia.
guy, I was in a bad mood until I read your post! grin
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by Nobody: 6:44pm On May 31, 2015
This further lends credence to my thoughts. I aver it isn't the first time this would be happening. It would take a lot for the current administration to expurgate corruption to a reasonable extent. It's an infamous ubiquity that has eaten deep to the Nigerian system & Nigerians therein. The ineffectiveness of these major determinants of the Nigerian economy—the CBN & NNPC—is a major deterrent to the amelioration of the economy. We are indeed walking on a banana peel.
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by Nobody: 6:50pm On May 31, 2015
meforyou1:

Your parents must be proud of you.
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by ayayo: 6:55pm On May 31, 2015
Well, what I understand by this write-up is that the people mentioned were member of a Pannell that was to perform a briquettes exercise. I think their involvement was in a box of 1000 naira (#10,000,000) that was stuffed with newspaper. Their offence would have been the team failure to report the case. I do not think they stole the 8 billion naira, that must have been stolen overtime. 8 billion naira is 800 boxes of #1000 (#10m in 800 places). That is impossible for 6 people to still within one week.
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by meforyou1(m): 6:56pm On May 31, 2015
coolbibz:

Your parents must be proud of you.
oh yea, they are.
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by Excellentmind: 7:02pm On May 31, 2015
myproperty:
Top officials of the Nigeria Central Bank, CBN, colluded with officials of private banks to defraud the country of about N8 billion, an anti-graft agency has said.

The EFCC said on Sunday that it is ready to prosecute Patience Okoro Eye, Afolabi Olufemi, Kolawole Babalola, Olaniran Muniru Adeola, Fatai Yusuf Adekunle, and Ilori Adekunle Sunday, all top officials of the Central Bank from various states, after concluding its investigations.

Officials of private banks who colluded with the Central Bank officials will also be prosecuted, the EFCC spokesperson, Wilson Uwujaren, stated in a statement.

The scam involved the “theft and recirculation of defaced and mutilated currencies,” the anti-graft agency stated.The officials are set to be arraigned on Tuesday.

Read the full statement below:

EFCC To Arraign Six CBN Big Wigs,16 Others for N8billion Currency Fraud June 2

The Economic and Financial Crime Commission, EFCC has concluded arrangement to arraign in court, five top executives of the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, implicated in a mega scam involving the theft and recirculation of defaced and mutilated currencies.

The suspects drawn from various business units of the apex bank are to be docked by the anti-graft agency before a Federal High Court sitting in Ibadan, Oyo State, from Tuesday June 2, 2015 to Thursday June 4, 2015.

They include Patience Okoro Eye( Abuja) , Afolabi Olufemi( Lagos), Kolawole Babalola (Ibadan), Olaniran Muniru Adeola (Ibadan), Fatai Yusuf, Adekunle (Head, Security, CBN, (Ibadan) and Ilori Adekunle Sunday,(Akure).

The remaining sixteen suspects are drawn from various commercial banks who were found to have conspired with the CBN executives to swing the heist.

All the suspects who are currently in the custody of the EFCC are now ruing the day they literally allowed greed and craze for materialism to be loud their sense of judgement and responsibility, when they elected to help themselves to tones of defaced Naira notes. Instead of carrying out the statutory instruction to destroy the currency, they substituted it with newspapers neatly cut to Naira sizes and proceeded to recycle the defaced and mutilated currency.

The fraud is partly to blame for the failure of government monetary policy over the years as currency mop up exercises by the apex bank failed to check the inflationary pressure on the economy.

The lid on the scam which is widely suspected to have gone on unchecked for years, was blown on November 3, 2014 via a petition to the EFCC alleging that over N6, 575, 549, 370.00( Six Billion, Five Hundred and Seventy-Five Million, Five-Hundred and Forty-Nine Thousand, Three Hundred and Seventy Naira) was cornered and discreetly recycled by light fingered top executives of the CBN at the Ibadan branch.

The suspects, who were members of the Briquetting Panel, plotted their way to infamy on September 8, 2014, while carrying out a Briquetting exercise at the CBN Branch, Ibadan.

In banking parlance, Briquetting is disintegration and destruction of counted and audited dirty notes. By this practice, depositor banks usually take mutilated notes to the CBN in exchange for fresh notes equivalent of the amount deposited.

The depositor banks in this instance are Zenith Bank, FCMB, Wema Bank, Access Bank, First Bank, Skye Bank, Ecobank and Sterling Bank.

But while carrying out the assignment, the team were alleged to have found one of the currency boxes filled only with old newspapers rather than 20 bundles of N1000 notes.

A similar case, according to investigation, had been discovered on September 22, 2014 when a box that was supposed to contain N500 notes to the tune of N5billion was filled with old newspapers.

Unlike in the past, this fraud could not be swept under the carpet, as a member of the Briquetting Panel from the Osogbo branch blew the lid on the illicit deal. In a statement, the informant stated that the exercise was designed to last between August 4 and 8, 2014.

The 35-year-old, however, stated that she discovered a strange ‘sight’ while opening the third box on the second day of the exercise. It was a discovery that beat her ken.
She added that she confronted the other members of the panel, including Eye, Head, Briquetting Panel; Treasury Assistant; Coordinator and Head, Security, CBN, Ibadan, who all assured her that they would look into it. But she later found out that it was all a ruse. She said she later found out that Eye not only maintained sealed lips over the matter but omitted it from her report.

A five-count charge awaits the suspects as they prepare to face the wrath of the law.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/business/184090-how-central-bank-officials-defrauded-nigeria-of-n8-billion-efcc.html

I find it difficult to believe this because as the saying goes, he who fights for equity must come with clean hands.

Sanusi, as a Nigerian whistle blower on corruption, under whom this massive fraud was hatched and executed without suspicion, was busy, in a loud voice, telling the the world that NNPC was the sit of corruption, not knowing that he was operating from the den of corruption in Nigeria.

Patiently, we are waiting to see how this Government will prosecute Sanusi as the first fraud of this administration.
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by xklucvG: 7:05pm On May 31, 2015
EFCC where at thou been since?
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by nonaira: 7:09pm On May 31, 2015
Emekamex:
I thought "only Igbos" were criminals as it is being painted on nairaland.

By the "sophiscated" ppl. If we probe each politician, I bet u the "sophisticated" ppl will top the chart of most corrupt.
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by anonimi: 7:24pm On May 31, 2015
As Sanusi dey chop im own for CBN Governor level na so dem staff also find dem own chop.

Meanwhile, VP Osinbajo don get court injunction to stop the probe of Sanusi's FRAUD allegations at the apex bank.

barcanista:
Since I was born, I have never witness the kind of hypocrisy, double standard and demonisation that is currently perpetrated by Muhammadu Buhari, the APC, Alhaji Sanusi, Osinbajo and their "good governance crusaders" against the person of President Goodluck Jonathan, Allison Madekwe, and other government officials.

Alhajis Buhari and Sanusi and APC have been going about using every platform to talk about a "missing $20b", cheered by their hypocritical followers that pride themselves as good governance crusaders. They have deliberately gone blind over the fraud of CBN under Sanusi as outlined by the Financial Reporting Council of Nigeria report in February 2014.

Sanusi Indicted And Removed For Fraud
According to the report (see below) Sanusi was indicted for Gross Misconduct that bothers on fraud and financial recklessness among other offence. The FRCN subsequently advised Mr President to remove Lamido Sanusi from office for further investigation and probe after the explanation of Sanusi appeared more like a tale and outrightly illogical according to FRCN. The council indicates that the explanation provided by Sanusi is “a clear display of incompetence, nonchalance, fraud, wastefulness, and abuse of due process and deliberate efforts to misrepresent facts on the part of the leadership of the CBN.”

The council advised the President to exercise the powers conferred on him by Section 11(2)(f) of the CBN Act 2007 or invoke Section 11(2)(c) of the said Act “and cause the governor and the deputy governors to cease from holding office in the CBN.”

April 2014: VP-elect Yemi Osibanjo Filed Case To Stop Sanusi Probe
Rather than Sanusi to prove his innocence in court, he filed a case in Federal High Court, Lagos to STOP FRCN and Other Security Agencies from investigating and prosecuting him through three Senior Advocates of Nigeria, Prof. Yemi Osibanjo, Dr. Kanyinsola Ajayi and Kola Awodien.
http://www.theguardianmobile.com/readNewsItem1.php?nid=24587

13 May 2014: Lagos Judge Tshoho Grants Sanusi Prayers
High Court Judge John Tshoho rather than uphold the constitutional powers of FRCN to investigate probe Sanusi, he granted the prayers of Lamido Sanusi and BARRED FRCN from further investigation or probing Sanusi Lamido Sanusi. In his own words...
“Prejudice is very pronounced in the language of that document. The language of the briefing note (transmitted by the FRCN to the presidency) conveys a sense of the defendant desperately goading the presidency to deal with the plaintiff,”
“The plaintiff submitting himself for investigation (by FRCN) is like the cockroach finding itself in the midst of fowls. Such a cockroach cannot be innocent,”.

http://www.tv360nigeria.com/?p=11923

Despite the fact the President Jonathan commissioned PWC to audit NNPC books to ascertain the veracity or otherwise of Sanusi's claim, Buhari, APC, Sanusi and their online agents that parade themselves as good governance and anticorruption apostles have been crying blue murder but refused to comment on the FRCN report nor the APC's VP elect role in shielding Sanusi for probe.

April 26, 2015: Buhari's Display of Hypocrisy
In his usual hypocrisy, General Buahri vowed to re-visit the $20b allegation but said NOTHING about the FRCN report. In his own word... “Imagine a situation where the former CBN governor who by God ‘s grace would later become the  Emir of Kano raised an  issue of missing billions of money, not in Naira but in Dollars, $20 billion.
“What happened, instead of investigating to know whether it was true that the money was missing or not, they simply found a reason to remove him. So these are the issues we are talking about…"

Contrary to the lies of Alhaji Buhari, Sanusi wasn't removed because he raised alarm, he was removed because he was indicted by FRCN. Jonathan also never kept mute, he commissioned PWC to audit the books. Buhari was also blind to talk about prosecuting Sanusi for the CBN fraud. Perhaps the Emir is as "incorruptible" as him(Buhari)

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by tiger28: 7:42pm On May 31, 2015
From November 3rd 2014 now the efcc is arranging them just days after swearing in of Buhari? ? I thank God for this change o. Efcc now doing their job. Jonathan had rendered them toothless.
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by tiger28: 7:44pm On May 31, 2015
kelechi50:
My owabe brother's fraud runs in they blood chai there's God oooo
You mean after Malaysia had rendered your tribemen endangered species??
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by anyaikenga: 8:33pm On May 31, 2015
all of them are from Western Nigeria. love for cheap money. they dont want to sweat but they say that igbos love money. and igbos sweat for their money.
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by lastpage: 8:40pm On May 31, 2015
meforyou1:

Not difficult to identify an "Omo'ale olori-pelebe" still reeling under the long-lasting effect of being "trounced" Everywhere and on everything since 1964! .... including the last election grin grin wink wink

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by gezzyvinci(m): 8:46pm On May 31, 2015
I Love Diamond Bank.....so Transparent
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by Hotstew(m): 9:09pm On May 31, 2015
anyaikenga:
all of them are from Western Nigeria. love for cheap money. they dont want to sweat but they say that igbos love money. and igbos sweat for their money.

kelechi50:
My owabe brother's fraud runs in they blood chai there's God oooo

When the eastern branches of CBN are investigated, you will understand the magnitude of fraud ingrained in the DNA of ur folks.

2 Likes

Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by Nobody: 9:45pm On May 31, 2015
kenonze:

So in summary....
What are ur suggestions?
We should fold hands and watch?

Build institutions to curb corruption right before it is executed.

Reduce chances of leakage n our greatest leakage is Where the federal government receives and shares back money made from resources collected from all States.

We need a system where the state governors utilizes all possible resources within His state and return a certain percent to federal government....
Then the federal government will have less work n thus have time to concentrate on giving us things like fire service, Adequate police, Ambulance services n etc.
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by agabaI23(m): 9:59pm On May 31, 2015
Obijulius:
I just wish I could join Buhari's cabinet just for the sole purpose of fighting corruption.

See brazen stealing of the country's commonwealth under the nose of Sanusi & Soludo.

Well, EFCC keep naming them, we are preparing something good for all these guys.

Meanwhile, am I the only one that noticed that the sophisticated people are fully represented in the 6? => 5/6.

You don't have to be in govt to fight corruption. You can start from where you are.
Do you jump the queue?
Do you drive against traffic?
Do you tell Okada or keke not ride against traffic when carrying you?
In your place of work, how do you treat issues of graft? How many graft cases have you reported or confronted?
Do you report only when it does not favour you?
Have you participated in any?
If can honestly answer this questions, may be I can the answers for numerous other questions.

A guy who jumped queue in fuel told me that no one can succeed in Nigeria by doing things right. Do you think your actions agree with that young man even if you do not believe him?

it is easier to see objects at the other side but more difficult to see the ones under our feet.

Them them them, what about me me me.

If you do yours and I do mine, EFCC will function well even if Tinubu is the chairman
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by Nobody: 11:11pm On May 31, 2015
Dis one na daylight robbery o shocked
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by Nobody: 11:12pm On May 31, 2015
Dis one na daylight robbery o
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by Midastorch(m): 11:49pm On May 31, 2015
Im really sorry to say this but I do not see that as scam....while watching mad money" I hope I see that type of opportunity.most of us screaming here hate them because we dont have the opportunity.im sure the woman reported maybe because the others were to greedy to share as they believed the can have their way.

1 Like

Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by eluquenson(m): 5:15am On Jun 01, 2015
It's long overdue, I know the media will eventually expose the rot, this fraud has been long eh and the people involved were busy buying luxury cars etcetera .
There is God oh
This fraud happened since 2008
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by Tex42(m): 8:58am On Jun 01, 2015
SHARIAREPORTERS:
Soludo and sanusi shld be held accountable
What is this one saying?! Do Soludo and Sanusi work at the IBADAN branch of the CBN?.
I'm sure you're smarter than this SHARIAREPORTERS.
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by Cheeba: 9:07am On Jun 01, 2015
grin This Hammering no get part 2! And they said the banking sector don dey hear am! Make I go register for cbn site oh!
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by braveheart99(m): 9:12am On Jun 01, 2015
M4gunners:
Now this is what i call collectiv thieves. But what were EFCC doing all this while?

Investigating them I guess
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by free13: 10:28am On Jun 01, 2015
This is soo...... shocked
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by j1mmy: 11:37am On Jun 01, 2015
Mallams have mastered the art of stealing in Nigeria, they steal using other mallams and keep their mouths shut forever.
Southerners steal and the world hears about it: owanbe parties, gossiping and show off!
Re: How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC by jimts(m): 11:52am On Jun 01, 2015
I started suspecting CBN when i saw a standard crate(more like a rectangular wooden box) of #200 at a bakery in katsina state.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Saraki: "Police IG Wants To Embarrass Me, To Prevent My Defection" / Maina: Presidency Keeps Mum As Winifred Oyo-Ita Implicates Buhari / APC Will 'Abduct' Philip Aduda - Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.