Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,462 members, 7,917,396 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 04:47 AM

Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! (13390 Views)

Dino Melaye's "Antidotes For Corruption: The Nigerian Story": Nigerians React / I Want To Be Remembered For Fighting Corruption To A Standstill – Buhari / Fayose: Buhari Just Making Noise On Corruption. The Cable. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! by gsainttrinity(m): 8:03pm On May 31, 2015
One of the most important expectations from the Buhari administration is to fight and conquer corruption. But the fight against corruption can not be won if the tactics are not strategic therefore the following steps must be followed to win this battle against corruption.

1: identify and define corruption:

Corruption is a dishonest act that aims to favor one party against the other or to get or derive a personal advantage from the system using a position of authority.

Therefore, a set of bills must be made laws stating in clear and definite languages behaviors, characters, acts and actions or in-actions that constitute corrupt practices.

one may forgive Jonathan for saying "stealing is not corruption" because in Nigeria the term corruption is ambiguous.

Stealing of government, group, organization, community or society funds, siphoning or diverting of government, corporate entities, communities, social groups etc funds. Taking and receiving bribes as individuals or group on behalf of the entities or for selfish reasons, receiving gifts, planning to do these and many more

Cronyism or favoring family and friends or associates should also be classified as corruption.

Unfair practices; where for example contracts, quotas, admissions etc are awarded with unfair or manipulative means where some individuals are accorded special privilege or advantages.

Inflation or false reports on public projects whether for seeking contracts or giving contracts etc or things in that nature.

Carrying out public services with disregard for the lawful procedure with intentions to benefit a certain group or individuals.

Partiality in carrying out public duties etc.

Finally among other practices I could not remember to mention or have omitted, the intentions or thoughts to carry out such plans or acts within the borders of Nigeria or outside it in-as-much it concerns the Nigerian society directly or indirectly, it must be classified as corruption and must be dealt decisively against it.

2: Penalty and punishment:

All corrupt cases even the ones with little significance within Nigeria and outside it must be adjudged a state proceeding meaning it is a crime against the Nigerian society and must be handled in that capacity.

Secondly, the minimum jail term should be fourteen (14) years. If gays or homosexuals can get 14 years, I see no reason why corrupt people should not get more jail terms.

And the minimum crime as involving corruption should be the intention to do the act. This means intending to pay or receive for example a bribe should be punished with a fourteen year jail term.

Maximum jail term should be a capital punishment preferably a life term.

All assets or advantage gotten from corrupt means even to the last kobo must be recovered or retrieved.

Buhari's government must make Bills and laws stating in clear terms what corruption means and punishment for it.

3: Execution:

the fight against corruption can not be effective against the backdrop of a weak judiciary And that's the bane of the Nigerian society. With litigation going on forever in the Nigerian courts without coming to a logical conclusion in a reasonably short time, we can see that the fight against corruption has been defeated before it has even started.

To by-pass this seemingly humongous problem, the government needs to set up a special trial court for the sake of prosecuting corrupt practices only and these court must be available to the local or ward level and its jurisdiction must not be handicapped at any level with and average trial time not exceeding three months. This means any corruption court must have the jurisdiction to try any corrupt case no matter how large or small. Any can also serve as appeal courts with a maximum appeal of three times.

Which means once three independent court finds you guilty of corrupt practice, the only option is to face to consequences.

Generally speaking, the judiciary needs to be strengthened as it is the last hope of the common man especially in a democratic setting.

Disambiguation: corruption is a very complex phenomenon and we must de mystify it to achieve measurable success.

Corruption usually involves someone with authority using its position unjustly to oppress or favor a certain individual or group. Usually it is for self gratification.

Therefore in any situation of corrupt cases, the first culprit is the one with position of authority directly or indirectly.

Unless the one with authority goes to the law to clarify its position, he or she carries the burden of being the main culprit.

The accomplice is whoever that initiates or succumbs to the lure to carry out corrupt practices without reporting to clarify its position in the transaction.

For example; a student who gives a bribe to a lecturer In order to pass is culpable for corruption while the lecturer who receives such gratification or gift bears the burden of being the first culprit who takes the major responsibility.

But whoever reports self first and voluntarily to clarify its position may be relieved of the burden of corrupt practices unless when proven to have acted in mischief.

Buhari as the president of Nigeria I would offer a personal advice not to pursue corrupt cases in a reactive measure as that would cost the government a lot on material and financial liability or burden but he should lay a template with which present and future corrupt acts would be handled and dealt with.

I strongly advice that a method as stated in this article is adopted in the fight against corruption, as this would remove allegations such as witch-hunting, abuse of authority and disregard for human rights.

God bless the president
God bless Nigeria!

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! by hefty4real(m): 8:12pm On May 31, 2015
NEPA dey craze 4 my area op. den no wan take light oo

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! by gsainttrinity(m): 8:24pm On May 31, 2015
hefty4real:

Hahhahahaha their caze for my own no get part two! I never see light for two weeks!!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! by Horus(m): 8:33pm On May 31, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG1qJJywRgs

[size=15pt]Fighting Corruption: EFCC Inducts 86 New Members [/size]
Re: Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! by gsainttrinity(m): 9:24pm On May 31, 2015
Horus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG1qJJywRgs

[size=15pt]Fighting Corruption: EFCC Inducts 86 New Members [/size]

The fight against corruption must be institutionalized.
Besides high level corruption, there are thousands of medium and much more low level corruption and only a formidable system can prove effective.

Thank you for the contribution.

1 Like

Re: Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! by Nobody: 9:38am On Jun 01, 2015
DUMB sad
Re: Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! by Echatbook: 9:39am On Jun 01, 2015
[size=20pt]New MTN PC&android Unlimited browsing with BabaAlaye Simpleserver-No subscription
http://alayeblog.com/post.php?p=259
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! by Echatbook: 9:39am On Jun 01, 2015
avbio
Re: Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! by ibkgab001: 9:39am On Jun 01, 2015
Stealing is not corruption
Re: Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! by efilefun(m): 9:39am On Jun 01, 2015
WATCHOUT!!!!

1 Like

Re: Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! by jamex93(m): 9:39am On Jun 01, 2015
yes oo

corruption for this nation na serious issue

Buhari get work to do about corruption
Re: Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! by Battery1(m): 9:39am On Jun 01, 2015
Abeg make persin hear word abt dis corruption. Na corruption u come fight for abi to develop naija?
Re: Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! by Echatbook: 9:40am On Jun 01, 2015
Dynamiceagle:
it has started already. get discounts and quick delivery for
uestions call 07066766905
really>
Re: Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! by anonimi: 9:40am On Jun 01, 2015
If the salary DISCREPANCY between real workers on minimum wage of N18,000 compared to loafing political appointees such as SINators who receive N27 million is not addressed quickly, any corruption fight is just NOISE and comedy show.
QED!!!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! by SWAGGAVILLAGE(m): 9:40am On Jun 01, 2015
nice piece op..pls kindly drop by my siggy let's roll..jah bless

1 Like

Battery1:
Abeg make persin hear word abt dis corruption. Na corruption u come fight for abi to develop naija?
lolz

1 Like

Re: Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! by Kizito2nv(m): 9:40am On Jun 01, 2015
evn after runing to buying space op i no still fit read am finish, my own is corruption shouldnt go until i have had my share. Echatbook i dnt hav anythn to tell u till u quot me again
Kizito2nv:
g
goat
Re: Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! by Nobody: 9:40am On Jun 01, 2015
... anyway are u interested in joining our VIP group
for daily winnings in football bets, check my
signature for more details.

Pls, don't just ask for free games cos I paid for dem too.

Only for biz minded

no risk no reward ...
Re: Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! by MeAndYou(m): 9:41am On Jun 01, 2015
Buhari let the show begin na?
If them prove stubborn, put them inside crates and import or export them as the case may be.
Re: Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! by jhidey08(m): 9:41am On Jun 01, 2015
Chaii
Re: Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! by Bonapart(m): 9:41am On Jun 01, 2015
Really..... Tell me more
Re: Fighting Corruption The Smart Way! by jamex93(m): 9:41am On Jun 01, 2015
hefty4real:

hahahahahahahaha

i just finish read your comment and dem take light

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Renames Ebonyi University Teaching Hospital After Alex Ekwueme / Anambra 2021: Valentine Ozigbo Visits Atiku's Residence, Seeks Full Support / $4 Million Bribe: SNM Accuses Obiano, Calls For Yakubu Mamoud's Sack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.