Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,109 members, 7,916,232 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 06:32 PM

Lawmakers Disappoint Teachers Over Salary Increase - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawmakers Disappoint Teachers Over Salary Increase (685 Views)

I Feel Your Pains And I Will Not Disappoint You, Buhari Tells Nigerians / EFCC Summons 120 Ogun Teachers Over N200m Loan / Benue State Workers To Begin Strike Over Salary Deduction. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lawmakers Disappoint Teachers Over Salary Increase by Nobody: 9:45am On Feb 17, 2009
Hundreds of teachers who thronged the Lagos State House of Assembly today left disappointed as lawmakers asked for more time to work on resolving the deadlock between the state government and teachers over the delay in salary increase demanded by the teachers.

Officials of the Nigerian Union of Teachers had met with the lawmakers last week, asking the House to prevail on the state government to honour the 27.5 percent pay increase agreement reached between both parties and threatened that the teachers would go on strike if their demands were not met by Feb 26, 2009.

An ad-hoc committee had, last week, been set up by the House to work out a compromise between both parties — representatives of the teachers and state government.

Eager to know the outcome of the assignment, the teachers poured out of their classrooms, into the expansive gallery of the House today, but Adefunmilayo Tejuosho, the chairman of the committee and, also, deputy speaker of the House, requested for more time to work on the matter.

“We met with the deputy governor (who is in charge of the education ministry) on Thursday, after her return from an official trip, and we also met with the governor on Friday to discuss the teachers’ problems with the state government,” she said. “We will need to meet with the NUT (teachers’ union) leadership tomorrow so as to get their side of the story. The committee has been working to make sure an appropriate outcome is arrived at. We crave their indulgence to give us more time to do this.” The visibly disappointed teachers could not contain themselves, and their murmur prompted the deputy majority leader, Ajibayo Adeyeye, to express alarm at their vast number.

“I wish to appeal to the teachers not to come in such large numbers because it will leave the schools empty,” he said.

He was interrupted by the Speaker, Adeyemi Ikuforiji, who said, “It is understandable that the teachers have turned out in such huge numbers because this is a delicate matter. Any other group, be it doctors or even legislators, would do same”, he said.

Some of the lawmakers criticized the delay by the committee, citing the need to urgently arrive at a compromise, and called on the members to work faster to avert the looming teachers’ strike.

“How much more time do they need? The House needs to do something fast; time is of element”, said Adewunmi Adelabu, a House member. His colleague, Yusuf Ayinla added: “The committee should go and work out when and how the teachers will be paid.” Commending the teachers for their patience, while also commending the committee on the efforts made so far, Mr Ikuforiji approved the committee’s request for more time and mandated them to achieve result next week.

“We all know the buck stops at the governor’s table, so I appreciate their efforts at seeing the governor. I am confident that the NUT (teachers’ union) is still with this House. Next Monday, 23rd (Feb), I am confident an agreeable conclusion will be reached,” he said.

The patience of the teachers appeared to be wearing thin, as most of them who left immediately after the Speaker’s conclusion, expressed their disappointment with the slow pace.

“I am not impressed with the committee’s rate of work. How can they use the whole of last week to meet with only the governor and deputy? They better know what they are doing. We will not continue to wait forever for them,” said Musiliu Rotimi, one of the teachers.

The teachers have said they are sticking to the deadline given to the state government, and said they are determined to drop their chalk as soon as it expires.

Micheal Alugba, State Chairman of NUT said, “They have invited us to a meeting with them, and we will be there tomorrow. The deadline is 26th. If the government does not pay us the agreed by 25th (Feb), we will go back to the trenches.”.

(1) (Reply)

Appeal Court Ruling On Monday Feb 23 2009: Who Wins - Agagu Or Mimiko / Dr. Rahman Olusegun Mimiko Is New Ondo State Governor / Robbers Kill Soldier, Two Mopol In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.