Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,479 members, 7,897,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 July 2024 at 03:36 AM

Nigeria We Hail Thee: Police Shoot Way Into Court, Abduct Star Witness - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria We Hail Thee: Police Shoot Way Into Court, Abduct Star Witness (870 Views)

Dasukigate: I Won't Come To Court, Unless You Abduct Me - Dasuki / Police Shoot Anti-boko Haram Protesters In Borno / Police Shoot Sales-Girl Dead In Abuja While Demolishing Illegal Structures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria We Hail Thee: Police Shoot Way Into Court, Abduct Star Witness by xanadu: 6:39pm On Feb 17, 2009
Nigeria we hail thee - where exactly are we going?

If the story below is true (culled from http://odili.net/news/source/2009/feb/17/28.html, God alone can help us:

Police shoot way into court, abduct star witness

Judge gives IG 24 hours to produce abductee

From Lemmy Ughegbe, Abuja
IN true commando fashion right out of a movie script, members of the Nigerian Police yesterday in Abuja stormed the premises of the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) with guns blazing, in a bid to arrest one Adeyemi Oni, a principal witness in the murder case of Chairman of Kwali Local Council, Abuja, Samuel Mari Gwamna.

With the shooting, the policemen totalling about 50, scared off visitors and court workers while blocking the only road leading into the premises with their truck.

Eventually, the policemen hijacked the Peugeot 504 with a Presidency number, FG 23G15, belonging to the National Human Rights Commission with which the agency was conveying the witness back to its custody.

Reporters were unable to ascertain where the police took Oni, a member of staff of Kwali Local Council.

Following the development, the commission approached the judge, Abubakar Talba, to seek the enforcement of the witness' right.

In his ruling, Talba described the action of police as "barbaric, terrible, uncivilised and a threat to democracy and the rule of law."

He said the police had no reason to resort to the use of such crude system to arrest a witness in court, especially when the witness has not even completed his testimony.

Consequently, the judge ordered the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mike Ahamba Okiro, to produce the witness alive in court within 24 hours.

He also ordered the IG to produce FCT Police Commissioner, Mr. John Haruna, in court on February 18, 2009, to show why he should turn the court premises to a shooting ground.

Last week, the judge had ordered the witness to be kept in the custody of the Human Rights Commission because he had complained of threat to his life by the police, who wanted him to give favourable evidence in the murder case.

Oni, in his testimony earlier, alleged that a reward of N2 million cash was offered him by Police to implicate the Vice Chairman of Kwali Area Council in the murder of the former chairman of the council.

He told the court that several statements were prepared by the police who forced him to sign them and later backdated them to November last year.

The witness denied knowing the killer of the former chairman, saying he was not at the scene of the incident but was picked up by police and ordered to give evidence against the two suspects standing trial.

The two accused persons are Shaidu Adamu Asheraa, the former vice chairman of Kwali Area Council and his special assistant, Adamu Yapai.

The commission Director of Legal Services, Mr. Zacheous Olukayode Sembajo, who escaped police bullet during the arrest of the witness, moved the motion urging the court to compel the IG to produce the witness alive.

Joe Gadzama, SAN led the prosecution for Police and Umar Musa led the defence.

Further hearing of the criminal case comes up next Monday.
Re: Nigeria We Hail Thee: Police Shoot Way Into Court, Abduct Star Witness by jamace(m): 10:28pm On Feb 17, 2009
The story is true. The police are only doing the biddings of our honorables and excellencies (powers that be) who want their interests protected. Do you know the amount of blood money staked by the honorables/excellencies to rubbish the judgement? This is our lot in Nigeria. Life is worth nothing. angry
Re: Nigeria We Hail Thee: Police Shoot Way Into Court, Abduct Star Witness by Kobojunkie: 10:34pm On Feb 17, 2009
These are just UNDERPAID policemen. grin
Re: Nigeria We Hail Thee: Police Shoot Way Into Court, Abduct Star Witness by mustafar1: 10:37pm On Feb 17, 2009
KOBO why did u have to use that card first? grin
Re: Nigeria We Hail Thee: Police Shoot Way Into Court, Abduct Star Witness by Kobojunkie: 10:38pm On Feb 17, 2009
LoL. . . . if I don't I may be deemed CLUELESS yet again . . .  roflmao!!!

I cannot, for the life of me, understand how anyone can offer me that and think I am the clueless one. roflmao!!
Re: Nigeria We Hail Thee: Police Shoot Way Into Court, Abduct Star Witness by mustafar1: 10:41pm On Feb 17, 2009
its the robin hood syndrome the person used in solving the dilemma.
Re: Nigeria We Hail Thee: Police Shoot Way Into Court, Abduct Star Witness by Kobojunkie: 10:49pm On Feb 17, 2009
Which kin robin hood be that one? So in this case, the policemen shot their way into the caught and so should be praised for kidnapping while UNDERPAID. roflmao!!
Re: Nigeria We Hail Thee: Police Shoot Way Into Court, Abduct Star Witness by MrCrackles(m): 10:51pm On Feb 17, 2009
Topic

Which kain commando stuffs be that
? grin cheesy
Re: Nigeria We Hail Thee: Police Shoot Way Into Court, Abduct Star Witness by mustafar1: 10:54pm On Feb 17, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Which kin robin hood be that one? So in this case, the policemen shot their way into the caught and so should be praised for kidnapping while UNDERPAID. roflmao!!

nah i meant the UNDERPAID so they can take bribe swan song

@ Topic, some jack bauer sturves going on.
Re: Nigeria We Hail Thee: Police Shoot Way Into Court, Abduct Star Witness by Kobojunkie: 10:55pm On Feb 17, 2009
must_a_far:

nah i meant the UNDERPAID so they can take bribe swan song

Oh!! you even know what I am talking about !!! roflmao!!
Re: Nigeria We Hail Thee: Police Shoot Way Into Court, Abduct Star Witness by mustafar1: 10:58pm On Feb 17, 2009
@ Kobo

u think?

i've been keeping a low profile lately. but i still read once in a while. i might soon go MIA from here like i did before.
Re: Nigeria We Hail Thee: Police Shoot Way Into Court, Abduct Star Witness by strangleyo: 11:19pm On Feb 17, 2009
Nice. This is Nigeria 101.

Until Corruption = Treason sentence w death penalty or imprisonment (forget impeachment, throw the fuckers in jail), this will happen.

(1) (Reply)

Vaswani Brothers: Efcc Arrests Two Customs Officers / Ex-governor Segun Oni Distributes Money And Recharge Cards In Ekiti State / /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.