Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,489 members, 7,944,421 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 04:05 PM

Why We Need To Stop Postgraduate Studies Outside Nigeria (AMB Q) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Need To Stop Postgraduate Studies Outside Nigeria (AMB Q) (1388 Views)

“I Delivered TB Joshua's Message To Jonathan That Saved Nigeria” - Amb Raphael / Why We Need To Stop Postgraduate Studies Outside Nigeria (AMB Q) / Reason Why Jonathan Can't Escape Loosing This Elections (AMB Q) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Need To Stop Postgraduate Studies Outside Nigeria (AMB Q) by rcspy: 5:45am On Jun 05, 2015
I have discovered the craze for postgraduate studies outside Nigerians. Will I blame Nigerians? I can't blame Nigerians because we don't pay attention to details as much as the whites. They have ensured that attention to details reflects in all what they do including education.

From research Nigeria spends over N1.5 trillion on students studying abroad, the Exam Ethics International, a non-governmental organisation, has said.
The chairman of the group said, annually, Ghana gets N160 billion of Nigerian students’ funds, while Nigerians spend over N80 billion on education in the United Kingdom.
My goodness, how can Ghana and Benin Republic be getting such billions out of Nigeria. This is actually a shame. I also feel sad when I hear the kind of treatment that are being given to our nationals in Britain most especially with their new immigration laws. Will I also blame the Britons? No, Some Nigerians have given the country a bad image and wrong perception about our dear country.

1.5 trillion is almost half of our national budget, if this fund is put into Nigeria in developing our educational system, it will make a huge difference on our economy.

Finally, I wish to suggest a quick solution. I know it may be difficult to get our standard of education to the level of other foreign countries, but while we work on that, I will like to suggest the establishment of satellite campuses of this foreign Universities here in Nigeria. For example, I know a lot of the Universities in England have satellite campus in Malaysia & Dubai.

I therefore call on every Ministry of Education, National Assembly to enact new legislations to make this a reality. I will like to thank all the persons, organisations and the NUC for the establishment of private Universities for 1st degree if not it would have been a different story all together

Lets put our hands together to change this country.

God Bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Please like to support this call, I need 1000 likes.

AMB Q

2 Likes

Re: Why We Need To Stop Postgraduate Studies Outside Nigeria (AMB Q) by Rumpelstiltskin(m): 6:08am On Jun 05, 2015
Well said bro...

The politicians send their kids abroad to study while abandoning our educational system. Dora Akunyili (late) and Goodluck Jonathan are good examples to butress the fact that you can acquire all your university education in Nigeria and still be relevant.

Also, we must accept that quality education doesn't come cheap. Government can help by investing heavily in education though......but that cannot totally substitute the fact that schools must also strive to increase IGR through research, business ventures, tuitions and so on.

1 Like

Re: Why We Need To Stop Postgraduate Studies Outside Nigeria (AMB Q) by drtwist(m): 6:13am On Jun 05, 2015
ops you did a very good job to point out the financial effect but that not the major problem. The major problem is neglect given to a nigeria graduate home and abroad. Imagine a first class graduate of Nigeria university still passing through other program being furthering his/her education outside. Even employment with nigeria certificate in our own naboring Ghana is not accepted and also our company/government value foreign certificate more than nigeria certificat.

My solution is that the government shld make it compulsory that anybody schooling abroad must have a nigeria certificate to back it up before being consider for anything in nigeria .
Re: Why We Need To Stop Postgraduate Studies Outside Nigeria (AMB Q) by rcspy: 6:34am On Jun 05, 2015
drtwist:
ops you did a very good job to point out the financial effect but that not the major problem. The major problem is neglect given to a nigeria graduate home and abroad. Imagine a first class graduate of Nigeria university still passing through other program being furthering his/her education outside. Even employment with nigeria certificate in our own naboring Ghana is not accepted and also our company/government value foreign certificate more than nigeria certificat.

My solution is that the government shld make it compulsory that anybody schooling abroad must have a nigeria certificate to back it up before being consider for anything in nigeria .

I agree with you bro. Thats why I said the National Assembly should also pass relevant laws that will make this a reality.
Re: Why We Need To Stop Postgraduate Studies Outside Nigeria (AMB Q) by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:34am On Jun 05, 2015
Of what benefit is it for these foreign universities to establish satelite campuses in Nigeria? Are Nigerians the only foreigners studying in those universities? The problem with the education sector is falling standard. Upto the 1970s, those that studied abroad were not seen as being special. Majority of them were seen as poor or average students who failed entrance examinations into universities of Ibadan, Ife, Lagos, Nsukka or Zaria. During this period, those trained abroad were not better than those trained home. All the facilities they were exposed to were in Nigeria.

First generation universities like UI, UNN, OAU, ABU, Unilag and Uniben should be well equipped for postgraduate studies, to admit more graduate students.

God bless the President.
Re: Why We Need To Stop Postgraduate Studies Outside Nigeria (AMB Q) by samtol4(m): 6:44am On Jun 05, 2015
Space booked!let me finish my breakfast!
Re: Why We Need To Stop Postgraduate Studies Outside Nigeria (AMB Q) by jorlons(m): 6:48am On Jun 05, 2015
The reason why Nigerians will keep porting out of Nigeria to study abroad is not just to gain quality education but also to secure a good source of livelihood. Most Nigerians don't return after their PG or UG studies, so it is beyond getting quality education.
Re: Why We Need To Stop Postgraduate Studies Outside Nigeria (AMB Q) by buzquet(m): 6:50am On Jun 05, 2015
Abeg make una cum follow me drink tea oooo! NIGERIA will soon b a beta place to live
Re: Why We Need To Stop Postgraduate Studies Outside Nigeria (AMB Q) by Bensondrums(m): 6:55am On Jun 05, 2015
Op u mean t tell me i shouldnt study abroad base on d reasons u gave above?come on studying abroad is a personal decision nd u cn also decide t stay bck.sme believe in getting quality PGD abroad while others may ve other reasons to.
Re: Why We Need To Stop Postgraduate Studies Outside Nigeria (AMB Q) by TI1919(m): 6:59am On Jun 05, 2015
What happen to human right?
Re: Why We Need To Stop Postgraduate Studies Outside Nigeria (AMB Q) by rcspy: 6:59am On Jun 05, 2015
Bensondrums:
Op u mean t tell me i shouldnt study abroad base on d reasons u gave above?come on studying abroad is a personal decision nd u cn also decide t stay bck.sme believe in getting quality PGD abroad while others may ve other reasons to.

The most important question you need to ask yourself is why are you studying abroad. Its a personal decision yes, but its clear that you are there because of the standard of education in Nigeria. If you have a replica of schools we have abroad, there won't be a lot of pressure on our currency like 1 pound=300 Naira
Re: Why We Need To Stop Postgraduate Studies Outside Nigeria (AMB Q) by TI1919(m): 7:00am On Jun 05, 2015
What happen to human right? I will suggests that those seeking education in abroad should do it on there personal pocket not the government.
Re: Why We Need To Stop Postgraduate Studies Outside Nigeria (AMB Q) by theSpark(m): 7:05am On Jun 05, 2015
Well, after the whole lot of unnecessary stress I went through to get my Bachelor's degree I'd be sick in the head to want to go for version 2.0 and 3.0.
Everybody I've met has advised me to go abroad for my post grad studies. They are efficient, on time, no dilly dallying, facilities are on ground in Europe/America (don't know of Ghana/Benin), plus even as I'm not their student they promptly answer all my enquiries (even the stupid ones).
If Nigerian universities get to that level I'll stay home and study and use the flight money to marry.
Re: Why We Need To Stop Postgraduate Studies Outside Nigeria (AMB Q) by LordMecuzy(m): 7:24am On Jun 05, 2015
Our Mentality is the biggest issue... Most Nigeria companies reject Nigeria university graduates for foreign school graduates...

I was working with a Nigerian firm 3years ago as an (analyst 1) because I graduated from Anambra State University.... Another guy came from the UK as a fresh graduate with no experience and he was given the post of (Analyst3).. Too bad........

I discovered that inorder to climb the. corporate ladder very fast in Nigeria u need an additional foreign certificate.... Well I'm doing my MBA in a University in Benue....By the grace of GOD next September foreign PhD in UK..... Make me too follow join the train
Re: Why We Need To Stop Postgraduate Studies Outside Nigeria (AMB Q) by sinkhole: 7:39am On Jun 05, 2015
It is not completely wrong to study abroad and so placing a blanket ban will be wrong! But I think it will be OK for Nigeria to send people out to study things like medicine, engineering and co, but I do not see reason why government should send anybody out to go and study English language, Sociology etc!
Anybody wishing to study abroad should do so on their personal account and if government is sponsoring anybody, there should be clear benefit(s) to nigeria!

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Approves N160 To $1 For Christian Pilgrims / Assa Gas Plant To Kick Off Soon – Imsg / ISIS Emir And Fugitive Arrested,linked To Buhari’s Regime

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.