Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,255 members, 7,880,957 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:01 AM

Couch Surfing In Jakarta - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Couch Surfing In Jakarta (786 Views)

The Nigerians Who Go Surfing In Lagos Harbour / Four Nigerians In Arrested Jakarta Over Proper Stay Permits / Cycling Your Way In Jakarta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Couch Surfing In Jakarta by razueshewlove: 9:52am On Jun 05, 2015
I have never tried couch surfing before but on the first time that I did, I immediately want to do it again but my finances are a little tight so I still have to wait a year. Wonder where I went? For my first travel, it was in Jakarta, Indonesia. The next one? Still, Jakarta, Indonesia.

I know that you are now scratching your head and asking yourself why in the world would I spend my hard-earned money to a place I have been before when there are a lot of possible places cheaper? I will tell you why.

I have first seen Jakarta in an article in Westhill Consulting Travel and Tours. After reading some blogs about it, I decided it would be worth a try to visit the country and experience for myself how it is. A friend of mine suggested trying couchsurfing.com to get a host to tour me around the city. A couple was kind enough to invite me to their place. So I pack my bags and made sure my savings for a personal vacation was secured in my pockets and booked a flight to Jakarta.

The humid air greeted me but it wasn’t really a bother since I am too excited and all I can see are beautiful and wonderful things ahead. My hosts even fetched me from the airport and drove me around the city. Melanie and Robert were so kind that I fell in love with them immediately. They have work the next day but offered to take a leave to tour me around but I was determined to know the city for myself and waived their hassle aside. After more convincing that I can make it on my own, they finally agreed but not without a warning of what I might experience in the city. I thanked them for their kind hearts and ate and slept in their warm and humble home (I even got a room with a nice veranda overlooking the city with the starry sky. No other luxury than that).

The next day, I was invited to a karaoke by my hosts’ neighbors and before I set off for my city adventure, I first sang some songs for them with my golden voice, of course. We were laughing so hard that I set off with a smile on my lips. I later learned that Karaoke is a part of every Asian culture.

I went to museums, religious and cultural lessons and mosque. I also participated in Muslim prayers while in the middle of the highway (FYI: Indonesia has the biggest number of Muslims around the world).

Batik Friday was another cultural highlight. Hitting up mall after mall, I have this instant mission to find the perfect batik dress as souvenir. I reviewed every stall that has it and brought three best batik dresses that I can find. To end my day, I also went to a famous spa in the city proper and while bathing, I swore to myself to come back again.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

At Least 6 Comfirmed Dead As Dangote Trailer Hits Bus Along Benin-auchi Express / Birth Certificate: What Type suitable For Children Under 18 Years and above? / Fire Engulfs 5 Star Adress Hotel In Dubai (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.