Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,790 members, 7,969,343 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 05:46 AM

Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? (5359 Views)

BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance / Linux or Windows Operating System? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? by wormedup(m): 8:26am On Jul 03, 2006
lol
my xp has never crashed. i admit there was serious issues with the early releases of winxp but it was mostly fixed in the later releases. i think from build 2600

anyways, make a partition. that way, if u have problems with one partition, u can always install xp on the other partition and recover ur file.

NTFS is a better filing system by far. trust me.
Re: Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? by Jalal(m): 10:46pm On Jul 03, 2006
My XP just crashed yesterday!!!
Re: Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? by wormedup(m): 8:11am On Jul 04, 2006
shocked
sorry man, what happened ? were u sitting on a bad drive ?
Re: Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? by lukkie(m): 10:26am On Jul 04, 2006
Jalal:

Well can't wait for Vista heard its comin out is Sept right??

Jala u say u cant't wait for Vista as if you're goping to buy it. LOL. no be pirated software u dey use. ROTFLMFAO tongue smiley cry
Re: Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? by Jalal(m): 12:20pm On Jul 04, 2006
@Lukkie haha!!! Wat about you? Most softwares nowadays are pirated
@wormedup, not a bad drive, just due to power fluctuation!!!
Re: Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? by lukkie(m): 12:51pm On Jul 04, 2006
Jalal. Just kiddin. Ask me what i use too. Who go go buy 30k software if i fit get am for N100.
Re: Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? by Jalal(m): 4:33pm On Jul 04, 2006
Yes o!!!!!!!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? by esquire(m): 5:12pm On Aug 28, 2006
its so funny who some of u guys are still thinkin it shows that most are not engineer. now back 2 d issue of win 98 i dont know how you guys are using yours thats making it 2 crash so easily i've gotten mine 4 like 2 years now with heavy use & havin 2 change my power supply (pack) thrice i have never 4 once formatted os re-installed my os. win xp is easy 2 troubleshoot & install  4 a layman just boot from ur cd & repair but in win 98 even if u boot from start up disk u still need 2 enter some command line.  prone 2 series of problem like lost IO.SYS, misplaced mbr etc. may not see sound, VGA etc in some systems and if u use 2000 & xp reverse is d case is not even plug and play os eg flash drive most manufacturers dont even include d flash installation cd. ms no longer provide support for win 9x   tongue tongue tongue
Re: Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? by Jalal(m): 7:12pm On Aug 28, 2006
Hey guys have u heard about the Vista transformation pack? Its a software that transforms your XP OS to the much talked about Windows Vista grin grin grin grin

Vista Transformation FAQ

Q: What is the Vista Transformation Pack?
A: The Vista Transformation Pack (or VTP) is a system transformation pack which will change the Microsoft Windows XP/Windows Server 2003 interface to one closely resembling Microsoft's upcoming Windows Vista operating system.

Q: What Operating Systems support the Vista Transformation Pack?
A: Currently, Vista Transformation Pack supports only 32-bit versions of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. (64-bit compatibility is planned for future releases)

Q: Do I have pay for the pack?
A: Not at all. You can choose to donate to the author Windows X though.

Q: What exactly does the pack do?
A: The transformation pack replaces many of the resources in Windows XP/Windows Server 2003. It can change such things as:
- Boot screen
- Welcome Screen / Logon Screen
- New msstyles files (visual styles)
- New desktop and file icons
- New toolbar icons
- Progress Dialogs
- Sounds scheme
- System Tray icons
- New Wallpapers
- Windows Media Player Skins
- And much more

Q: Does the Vista Transformation Pack come with other applications?
A: Yes. Version 3 includes:

Glass2k = Offers window transparency, for people who can't afford WindowBlinds 5 with Vista Aero Style glass skin.
LClock = Gives the Windows taskbar clock look a Longhorn style, with calendar and reminder note features.

Q: How do I install the Vista Transformation Pack?
A: Basically, you run the installer program and follow the instructions. There are a few different transformation options offered, including manual system files transformation and an option to not transform system files.

Q: OK, where can I download the pack?
A: From Windows X's shrine website (www.windowsxlive.net) and mirrors provided in website such jcxp.net, joejoe.biz, etc. or google

Q: Do I need to be in safe mode to install the pack?
A: No. However it is an option, and is recommended by some in order to prevent all possible conflicts

Q: Will it mess up my computer?
A: If you follow the instructions, you will not experience any problems. Most problems are caused by people not reading and following the instructions.

Q: OK, but are there any bugs?
A: All minor bugs can be found or reported in WindowsX's Shrine, JCXP forums.

Q: Is there a way to remove the pack, or will I need to reinstall Windows?
A: The pack can be removed like any other program, through Add and Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

Q: I've installed the pack but my computer doesn't look like Vista.
A: Go to Display Properties > Appearances Tab. Select a cool Longhorn or Vista theme and apply!

Q: I saw some transparency and glass on the screenshot. How come I don't have glass?
A: Glass window borders require Window Blinds 5 Enhanced by Stardock. You can make the entire window transparent by using the Glass2k program (www.chimes.tv).

Q: Okay this WindowBlinds program sounds interesting; where or how do I get it?
A: There are 3 ways,

1. Buy WindowBlinds from www.stardock.com for $19.95US (WEB-DOWNLOAD ONLY). **RECOMMENDED**

2. Download the free public version from HERE (keep in mind that the free version does NOT support glass [the transparent look on borders] or other advanced features).

3. Buy WindowBlinds from www.stardock.com as part of Object Desktop for $49.95US.

Q: What is minimum graphic card required to run WindowBlinds 5 with smooth per-pixel transparency?
A: WindowBlinds requires only a DirectX 8, 64MB RAM graphics card (and Windows X used to use exactly that without any problem). It's certainly not as high as the DirectX9 card with 128MB RAM demanded by Vista!

Q: My Windows runs slower after applying the Vista Transformation Pack, why?
A: Glass2k or WindowBlinds 5 demand some system resources in order to create window transparencies. It appears most issues are due to running Glass2k on older machines with lower specs. I'd recommend you not to install Glass2k if your machine isn't fast enough. (2.4GHz, 512MB RAM)

Q: I've installed the pack and everything is messed up.
A: As with any system transformation pack, it is important to carefully read and follow all instructions. Usually problems come from not following the instructions. Use XP's System Restore feature if you have created a restore point, and uninstall the pack. Then reinstall and follow all instructions.

Q: How do I know what this will look like?
A: You can find various screenshots in Windows X's shrine website > Projects > Enhancements > Vista Transformation Pack

Q: I've just installed updates from Microsoft and some stuffs has gone back to XP style. What should I do?
A: Go to Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel, and select the Vista Transformation Pack. Click Change/Remove, and choose "Repair Transformation".

Q: Will I lose the original files from Windows Update if I uninstall the Vista Transformation Pack?
A: No. Vista Transformation Pack has a safefile feature which checks file version before proceeding with any transformation. If it finds the file is different to the one in the backup folder, it'll copy that file to the backup folder and so as uninstall also but reversely. Files will not be replaced with a file from the backup folder if it has a different file version.

Q: My icons have changed back to XP style. What do I do?
A: Same process as mentioned above, but choose the "Rebuild Icon Cache" option.

Q: Some of my programs won't work! Norton crashes while updating, etc.
A: These problems are caused by WindowBlinds, not the Vista Transformation Pack. Unload WindowBlinds every time you use a program that crashes with WindowBlinds. You could always uninstall WindowBlinds and use one of the many awesome msstyles included in Vista Transformation Pack. You can also set exclude applications from being skinned by WindowBlinds through the WindowBlinds configuration. If this doesn't solve the problem, try uninstalling the VTP, then reinstalling the pack without applying file processing dialog option.
Re: Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? by dblock(m): 3:12am On Sep 25, 2006
[s]maybe the reason it always crashes is cos you don't have service pack 2 and you haven't got proper internet security yah cheapskates[/s] lipsrsealed
Re: Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? by jammin(m): 3:45am On Sep 27, 2006
compare win 98 to XP HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HEHEHEHEHEHEHE. sorry could'nt help it. that's like comparing a nissan sunny to a 5 series BMW.
Re: Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? by dblock(m): 3:49am On Sep 27, 2006
hey jamaica boy right on, i mean rite on mannn
Re: Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? by jammin(m): 4:51am On Sep 27, 2006
@dblock. easy rasta. jah know sey mi kinda get fi luv da likkle forum yah. just discovered that i had a counterfeit of xp loaded on one of my machines. had to give bill gates us$149 to validate it with a new key. mi bex no raasclaate.
Re: Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? by dblock(m): 4:56am On Sep 27, 2006
wey kind dialect be that (confused ------------peace----------- cool
Re: Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? by jammin(m): 4:34pm On Sep 27, 2006
bless grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need Nigerian Accounting Software For My Small Manufacturing Business / Virus That Affects Laptop Speakers! / Skydude Tv Stick Usb Driver U237

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.