Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,859 members, 7,872,856 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 12:29 AM

Is Airtel Nigeria Scamming Customers Or Encouraging Fraudsters? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Airtel Nigeria Scamming Customers Or Encouraging Fraudsters? (726 Views)

Obasanjo: Nigerian Churches Are Encouraging Corruption / Picture Of Governor Fayose Encouraging Child Abuse / Buhari's Result Not Encouraging to Students And WAEC (educational) Standards. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Airtel Nigeria Scamming Customers Or Encouraging Fraudsters? by YEMOYEMI: 11:03am On Jun 09, 2015
Dear Nairalanders,

Please permit me to use this medium to narrate my experience with 'Airtel' agents. I was accosted on the road by two men well dressed in full Airtel uniform. They have airtel stand and camera. They asked if I surf with airtel line and I answered in affirmative. They pointed at the banner with them that airtel is doing promo. Pay N5,000 and they will give you 24G of data. I was reluctant and told them I didnt have N5,000 but may do it some other time. One of them said they do 12G for N2,500. I asked myself if am scammed of N2,500, what effect could that have on me as I was not too comfortable with them despite all airtel accessories I saw with them. I eventually paid them N2,500 and they collected my date and even captured my image. They said I would be credited between 6 and 7pm that Saturday June 6, 2015. One of them gave me his mobile numbers and his name as Segun Williams. When I didnt get any notification, I concluded they were scammers but to clear my mind because of my mobile number and other information with them, I went to an Airtel office to lodge a complaint and check if i can swap my SIM. I was scared what their response was!!!

After narrating my story to the first contact person, she took me to a superior officer and the superior officer asked her if she was not aware that the company just engaged some canvassers. He said they are aware that those people 'over promise' customers but he can confirm they are not scammers. He told me not to be afraid as my data with them would not be used for any damage. He said he was convinced they were only interested in the money they collected. He spoke to me and he was either smiling or laughing and I was wondering if he was aware that Airtel's image is being damaged out there.

I left their office with the assurance that my calls or sms cannot be tracked by anyone. He said I should not be afraid to perform my normal operations on my mobile that my privacy cannot be intruded.

Honestly, I dont know what to think. I guess someone may pick something from here and if anyone ever sights any 'agent' and in doubt, should please escalate. The dude that called himself Segun Willams gave the following numbers as his--08130257841 and 08028539362. I called him of course but he didnt pick. He called back after few minutes but I could not pick anything from what he said. I called him back but he never picked again.

1 Like

Re: Is Airtel Nigeria Scamming Customers Or Encouraging Fraudsters? by Nobody: 11:20am On Jun 09, 2015
Una don see wetin awoof d cause? grin
Re: Is Airtel Nigeria Scamming Customers Or Encouraging Fraudsters? by Nobody: 11:31am On Jun 09, 2015
Eni wa ifaa wa another thing grin
Re: Is Airtel Nigeria Scamming Customers Or Encouraging Fraudsters? by ghost1718(m): 12:00pm On Jun 09, 2015
even village guys don dey wise pass lagos
Re: Is Airtel Nigeria Scamming Customers Or Encouraging Fraudsters? by YEMOYEMI: 12:23pm On Jun 09, 2015
You guys are not being objective here. It is normal for any of the telecoms or other company to declare 'awof' in any form. I said they those guys are canvassers for airtel. Anyone could have fallen for it and that is the reason behind this outcry so people don't fall for it and maybe Airtel can also see the damage this is likely to cause the company

1 Like

Re: Is Airtel Nigeria Scamming Customers Or Encouraging Fraudsters? by joedave(m): 1:17pm On Jun 09, 2015
Some of these outfits do not realise quickly their reputations can get smeared.
A dissatisfied customer is as good as a host of dissatisfied customers because the news will go round.
My advice to you OP is to register a complain at the CPC, even if its not quickly treated
but bear in mind that you wont have been the only victim, so CPC will keep tab of you concern.

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS; Buhari And Fashola At The Just Concluded G7 Summit In Germany / Photos: Edo State Workers Protest Non-payment Of 9 Months Salaries / Is RMAFC Truly An Independent Commission?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.