Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,326 members, 7,881,212 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 02:27 PM

TEXAS POOL Incident:lessons For The Nigerian Police Force - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / TEXAS POOL Incident:lessons For The Nigerian Police Force (1266 Views)

Robbery Incident As Captured On CCTV in Ikeja, Lagos (Video And Photos) / Graphic Photos From Edo State Robbery Incident / TEXAS POOL Incident:lessons For The Nigerian Police Force (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

TEXAS POOL Incident:lessons For The Nigerian Police Force by nannymcphee(f): 4:30pm On Jun 10, 2015
A video showing police officers of the dallas suburb of mckinney responding to a disturbance call at a pool party, has shown a police officer by the name of Eric Casebolt wrestling a 15yr old teenage girl to the ground despite her non resistance to arrest & also pulling a gun on two unarmed teenage kids. the video also shows him punching a 13yr old girl who tried to intervene.

This video sparked up lots of protests & in a swift reaction the police department placed the officer on administrative leave(as at the time of writing this, he has tendered his resignation)

The police chief was also quoted to have made the following statements

"Officer David Eric Casebolt's actions were
"indefensible,"

"our
policies, our training and our practices do not
support his actions."

"He came into the call out of control and the video
showed he was out of control during the incident,"

POINTS TO NOTE

1. The individual who captured the event on video was not manhandled or shot neither was his phone destroyed

2. The police department did not do a cover up, the erring officer was placed on leave

3. The police department did not spin the story around to say that the teenage girl was an armed robber or that the girl tried to beat up the police etc

4. A group has petitioned the US department to review the McKinney police department's policies in responding to calls & the use of force

The above points are worthy of the attention of the Nigerian police Force. The media is daily awash with stories of Nigerians who are constantly being harassed, brutalized, oppressed & victimized by men of the nigerian police force, the recent being the lady who was tortured for an iPad.

Before we criticize the perpetuators of these abuses, we need to ask these pertinent questions,

have the nigerian police officers been trained in upholding the rule of law?

have they been trained in human relations?

Have they been taught the rules of engagement, the use of force etc

Are these trainings regular?

I dare say No to these questions(I stand to be corrected) there have been cases where you quote a section of the constitution to the police & you are told "dey quote law when you don tire you go know"

Isn't that sad coming from a man who is meant to enforce & uphold the law!!

Back to the matter at hand, the Nigerian police should act in line with those points raised

1. They shouldn't cover up for the illegal actions of its men

2. They shouldn't brand victims as robbers or kidnappers neither should the story be turned around-this reminds me of the case where a video showed a drunk policeman assaulting a lady in a pool of water with other policemen watching, when the matter got to the station it was said that the lady was the one beating the policeman

3. when there are cases of abuse, the affected police department should revisit its policies & retrain its personnels.

If the above points are acted upon, I believe there will be great changes to the current state of things.

Nannymcphee

REFERENCES
http://news.yahoo.com/texas-city-police-pool-incident-once-lauded-survey-215601984.html

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/08/texas-pool-party-police-dajerria-becton-eric-casebolt-rude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R46-XTqXkzE

CC:ishilove
Lalasticlala
ikenna351
afam4eva

1 Like

Re: TEXAS POOL Incident:lessons For The Nigerian Police Force by Feranchek(m): 4:42pm On Jun 10, 2015
Nice one there op, buh talk true, Shey you really think sey dem nor know this tins Sure they do! Buh because of the kinda country we find ourselves in- where anything goes, they feel no iota of remorse when doing these things. The crux of our problems in Naija is simply kwaruption. Corruption is everywhere in the world, buh that of naija is done without any form of impunity!!! And that, my dear op, is our problem.

Sai Biafra!!! grin grin
Re: TEXAS POOL Incident:lessons For The Nigerian Police Force by bigass(f): 4:46pm On Jun 10, 2015
Laws of each land differ. In Nigeria it is illegal to record an officer without permission. So the issue is we need to fight against such laws.
Re: TEXAS POOL Incident:lessons For The Nigerian Police Force by nannymcphee(f): 4:49pm On Jun 10, 2015
bigass:
Laws of each land differ. In Nigeria it is illegal to record an officer without permission. So the issue is we need to fight against such laws.

Ok, point 1 struck off, what about other points
Re: TEXAS POOL Incident:lessons For The Nigerian Police Force by kay9(m): 5:14pm On Jun 10, 2015
I just have a few questions...

@ishilove, please why isn't this thread on the front page?

@bigass, with respect to your your statement above, can you please tell us were this law is written? There have been Nigerian policemen fired in the past based solely on videos taken by civilians of them taking or demanding bribes, and none of the owners of the videos were ever procecuted by the police force for "breaking the law".
Re: TEXAS POOL Incident:lessons For The Nigerian Police Force by nannymcphee(f): 6:18pm On Jun 10, 2015
kay9:
I just have a few questions...

@ishilove, please why isn't this thread on the front page?

@bigass, with respect to your your statement above, can you please tell us were this law is written? There have been Nigerian policemen fired in the past based solely on videos taken by civilians of them taking or demanding bribes, and none of the owners of the videos were ever procecuted by the police force for "breaking the law".

Pls what does it take for a thread to be front page material? Can you point me to an official thread that talks about that

CC:seun
Re: TEXAS POOL Incident:lessons For The Nigerian Police Force by kay9(m): 11:18pm On Jun 10, 2015
nannymcphee:

Pls what does it take for a thread to be front page material? Can you point me to an official thread that talks about that

CC:seun

I'm not aware that such a thread exists. But as its name says - the front page - its contents are the very first thing that a visitor sees/reads as soon as he opens NL. So one would expect to see the most important, thought-provoking and informative threads (such as this one) there, especially as concerns Nigerians. Of course we know entertainment pulls a lot of traffic, but it shouldn't be at the expense of real substance.
Re: TEXAS POOL Incident:lessons For The Nigerian Police Force by Dannyset(m): 11:28pm On Jun 10, 2015
When I watched the incident on CNN ysday I was so disturbed by the act of the police. Its totally unprofessional and a display of hatred towards blacks. There was no lesson to be learnt from the whole scenario, as his action was a total shame to the police and the uniform. He should not be resigning alone, he should be locked up.

1 Like

Re: TEXAS POOL Incident:lessons For The Nigerian Police Force by nannymcphee(f): 6:40am On Jun 11, 2015
Dannyset:
When I watched the incident on CNN ysday I was so disturbed by the act of the police. Its totally unprofessional and a display of hatred towards blacks. There was no lesson to be learnt from the whole scenario, as his action was a total shame to the police and the uniform. He should not be resigning alone, he should be locked up.

Pls where do you reside? Nigeria or abroad

for those living in Nigeria, there are lessons to be learnt because we experience events that are worse than that of the video on a daily basis(will search out some links here for you to read & watch)

Nigerians can draw lessons from the fact that there was a public reaction & protest with positive results

here in Nigeria, folks will be scared to protest even if do they won't get enough supporters

the news media might not pick up on it as opposed to this case where both major & local media picked up on it

there was a good online response & interactions-here within a few days the thread has died down with no actionable result(there are exceptions though)

Unaffected Nigerians will assume an I don't care attitude of "it's not my child what's my business either because they don't really care or because cant feel empathic enough or out of fear, have you heard of "I NOR FOLLOW" the minimum amount of this is N5,000 in some cases N10,000

I NOR FOLLOW-this is a colloquial expression that means "I'm innocent or I know nothing about the matter or I wasn't there when the incident occurred"

A situation where a police makes an arrest of an individual or individuals who are innocent of the crime itself, either a bystander or someone who isn't connected to the case at all eg there was a robbery or traffic accident & the police showups after 30mins-1hr, to arrest all those within the vicinity knowing fully well that the perpetuators must have fled

So at that point when you tell the policeman that you just passing by or know nothing about it, you will be told to explain that at the police station, on getting there your defense will definitely be "I NOR FOLLOW" they know you are truly innocent but you must pay that unofficial fine.

back to the last point on Nigerians feeling unconcerned, here is a quote by two of the protestesters

“It may not be Baltimore but folks are going to come out and protest when it’s blatantly wrong,” said Hillis Davis, a 52-year-old from the nearby city of Frisco.

Elbert Denkins, a 44-year-old who works for the US navy, said he came “to support my neighbourhood and everybody who’s involved with it because it’s happening everywhere, it
needs to stop”.

Nigerians can learn from this, an individual had to travel from another city just to join his voice to the cry, the other individual who has navy "connection" didn't stay at his navy base or where ever he stays he also joined the protest

We need to get to this level of oneness & concern

These are the lessons we as citizens of Nigeria need to Learn from the Texas pool incident and as for the Nigerian police force, that has been dealt with in the original post

Thanks

1 Like

Re: TEXAS POOL Incident:lessons For The Nigerian Police Force by Dannyset(m): 2:29pm On Jun 11, 2015
nannymcphee:

Pls where do you reside? Nigeria or abroad

for those living in Nigeria, there are lessons to be learnt because we experience events that are worse than that of the video on a daily basis(will search out some links here for you to read & watch)

Nigerians can draw lessons from the fact that there was a public reaction & protest with positive results

here in Nigeria, folks will be scared to protest even if do they won't get enough supporters

the news media might not pick up on it as opposed to this case where both major & local media picked up on it

there was a good online response & interactions-here within a few days the thread has died down with no actionable result(there are exceptions though)

Unaffected Nigerians will assume an I don't care attitude of "it's not my child what's my business either because they don't really care or because cant feel empathic enough or out of fear, have you heard of "I NOR FOLLOW" the minimum amount of this is N5,000 in some cases N10,000

I NOR FOLLOW-this is a colloquial expression that means "I'm innocent or I know nothing about the matter or I wasn't there when the incident occurred"

A situation where a police makes an arrest of an individual or individuals who are innocent of the crime itself, either a bystander or someone who isn't connected to the case at all eg there was a robbery or traffic accident & the police showups after 30mins-1hr, to arrest all those within the vicinity knowing fully well that the perpetuators must have fled

So at that point when you tell the policeman that you just passing by or know nothing about it, you will be told to explain that at the police station, on getting there your defense will definitely be "I NOR FOLLOW" they know you are truly innocent but you must pay that unofficial fine.

back to the last point on Nigerians feeling unconcerned, here is a quote by two of the protestesters

“It may not be Baltimore but folks are going to come out and protest when it’s blatantly wrong,” said Hillis Davis, a 52-year-old from the nearby city of Frisco.

Elbert Denkins, a 44-year-old who works for the US navy, said he came “to support my neighbourhood and everybody who’s involved with it because it’s happening everywhere, it
needs to stop”.

Nigerians can learn from this, an individual had to travel from another city just to join his voice to the cry, the other individual who has navy "connection" didn't stay at his navy base or where ever he stays he also joined the protest

We need to get to this level of oneness & concern

These are the lessons we as citizens of Nigeria need to Learn from the Texas pool incident and as for the Nigerian police force, that has been dealt with in the original post

Thanks
For Nigeria to get to this stage, there are many things involve.
Why am pissed is, the policeman should be prosecuted and not celebrated because he resigned.

(1) (Reply)

37-yr-old Man Jailed 6 Months For Touching Girl’s Breast / Wife Cut Unfaithful Husband's Pen*s For Having An Affair With Friend(photos) / Nigerian Drug Trafficker Sentenced To 25 Years In Jail With His Vietnamese Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.