Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,656 members, 7,951,752 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 10:30 PM

Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) (38765 Views)

What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? / FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders / Running My ND And Bsc Programme Together; Is It Advisable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by DollyParton1(f): 7:29am On Jun 12, 2015
Ekochris
Bsc vs Bsc Hons

A Bachelor’s degree, or Bachelor’s degree (Hons), are both academic degrees given to undergraduate students. Though these two are both academic degrees, they only have a very slight difference.

In many countries, the bachelor’s degree is differentiated as an ordinary, or pass degree, and honours degree. Britain, India, Canada, Sri lannka, Ireland and Australia are some of the countries where the Bachelors degree (Hons) are in vogue.

One cannot find much difference between a Bachelors of Science degree and a Bachelors of Science (Hons) degree. The Bsc and the BSc (Hons) takes almost the same time to complete. In some countries the Bsc (Hons) may take one more year than the Bsc to complete. Therefore, three years are needed to complete a Bsc degree, and four years for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree.

A student will have to write a dissertation for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree. On the other hand, this is not mandatory for a Bsc degree.

A Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree is considered to be superior to the Bachelor of Science degree. The Bsc (Hons) is considered to be, academically, more standard than the ordinary Bsc degree. Another thing is that a student can get Bsc degree more easily than a Bsc (Hons) degree.

One can also see that, in order to get a job, a Bsc (hons) degree is more beneficial than a Bsc degree. If two persons, one with a Bsc degree, and another with a Bsc (hons) degree, apply for a job, the candiate with the Bsc (Hons) degree will be given the first preference. Well, this is also the case when studying for a higher degree. A student with a Bsc (Hons) degree will always have the first preference, over that of a sudent with a Bsc degree.

Summary

1. One cannot find much difference between a Bachelors of Science degree and Bachelors of Science (Hons) degree.

2. Three years are needed to complete a Bsc degree, and four years for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree.

3. The Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree is considered to be superior to the Bachelor of Science degree.

4. The Bsc (Hons) is considered to be, academically, more standard than the ordinary Bsc degree.

5. A student will have to write a dissertation for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree. On the other hand, this is not mandatory for a Bsc degree.

6. A Bsc degree is easier to obtain than a Bsc (Hons) degree.

Source: http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/difference-between-bsc-and-bsc-hons/

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by feldido(m): 7:33am On Jun 12, 2015
I no understand wetin una de talk sef... Una mean say one get horn (like goat) and the other no get horn(sheep)?

6 Likes

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by Adeoba10(m): 7:56am On Jun 12, 2015
[quote author=ekochris post=34674000]

I think she means a Bsc (Hons) is awarded if the programme is completed in exactly 4 years.

Not exactly 4years, dat was an example... Exact duration of d courses....
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by Abbey2sam(m): 7:57am On Jun 12, 2015
different answers everywhere , i would just stick to my own
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by royal231(m): 8:26am On Jun 12, 2015
hrykanu231:

Lol@one week one trouble. Dis ur number sha, are u copying me or my GrandPa gave u the number too?

Probably we have the same Grandpa....WNC..
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by recentlyacquire: 8:47am On Jun 12, 2015
poundlander:
1. One cannot find much difference between a Bachelors of Science degree and Bachelors of Science (Hons) degree.

2. Three years are needed to complete a Bsc degree, and four years for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree.

3. The Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree is considered to be superior to the Bachelor of Science degree.

4. The Bsc (Hons) is considered to be, academically, more standard than the ordinary Bsc degree.

5. A student will have to write a dissertation for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree. On the other hand, this is not mandatory for a Bsc degree.

That was why the first commenter said if you graduate at exactly 4yrs you a hons attached to your BSc why any yr less or more than u get an ordinary BSc no hons
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by kaycexx(m): 9:09am On Jun 12, 2015
royal231:

Probably we have the same Grandpa....WNC..

Bread dey bakery.... U still one chop.

U no dey bellefull?
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by MaziOmenuko: 10:17am On Jun 12, 2015
Bsc and Bsc (hons) are concepts of foreign universities that our school system adopted without fully implementing its definition.

In foreign schools, you can complete your course work in 3yrs and ignore the dissertation (project work): this is not applicable in Nigerian Universities as you MUST do your project before award of degree. So in foreign schools, if you chose not to do a dissertation, you will 'jerjerly' collect your Bsc and graduate: but if you proceed and finish your course work with dissertation, you are awarded a Bsc (hons).

We Nigerians adopted that into our school program without giving options of 3yrs without project, thats why the confusion is on this thread.

Now some schools award hons based on their own definition: some do so if you don't have an extra semester in school, some do so if you don't have any carry-over; some do so randomly based on their own senate approval and so on.

Bottom line, it is a foreign concept that is wrongly applied in the Nigerian University.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by okolola25: 10:28am On Jun 12, 2015
MaziOmenuko:
Bsc and Bsc (hons) are concepts of foreign universities that our school system adopted without fully implementing its definition.

In foreign schools, you can complete your course work in 3yrs and ignore the dissertation (project work): this is not applicable in Nigerian Universities as you MUST do your project before award of degree. So in foreign schools, if you chose not to do a dissertation, you will 'jerjerly' collect your Bsc and graduate: but if you proceed and finish your course work with dissertation, you are awarded a Bsc (hons).

We Nigerians adopted that into our school program without giving options of 3yrs without project, thats why the confusion is on this thread.

Now some schools award hons based on their own definition: some do so if you don't have an extra semester in school, some do so if you don't have any carry-over; some do so randomly based on their own senate approval and so on.

Bottom line, it is a foreign concept that is wrongly applied in the Nigerian University.

Education / Re: Ladoke Akintola University Of Technology (lautech) 2015/16 Post-utme Form, Pred by okolola25: 12:06am
drmrsjoy6:
LADOKE AKINTOLA UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY (LAUTECH) 2015/16 post-utme FORM, predegree FORM, diploma FORM, direct-entry form is out, call Dr Mrs Grace on_08036266815 for more information.

Good evening Prof. Please I need yor candid advice. I am a science education graduate. Wanna go for my Masters Degree, having 2 faculties to proceed into (Science and Edu) please what post graduate course (within my jurisdiction) would you recommend for me.......for the purpose of get good job upon graduation? Thnx
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by MaziOmenuko: 10:34am On Jun 12, 2015
okolola25:

Good evening Prof. Please I need yor candid advice. I am a science education graduate. Wanna go for my Masters Degree, having 2 faculties to proceed into (Science and Edu) please what post graduate course (within my jurisdiction) would you recommend for me.......for the purpose of get good job upon graduation? Thnx

Sorry pal, I'm not in a position to give you the best advice in this field. You can start a thread on it and let people advise you.

Or you can start a PGD on any science related course (you don't need a Masters in Education to be a teacher, your first degree is just enough)
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by hnuadmissions(m): 10:40am On Jun 12, 2015
2015/2016 Admissions into HUNAN NORMAL UNIVERSITY,CHINA

HUNAN NORMAL UNIVERSITY, CHINA SEPTEMBER 2015 ADMISSIONS. APPLY NOW!!!

English Taught Programs: Computer Science, Hotel Tourism & Management and Clinical Medicine (MBBS).

Documents required -

1.) Hunan Normal University Application Form
2.) Medical Examination Form of Hunan Normal University
3.) Scan copies of your High school certificate and result-WAEC, GCE O/Level etc
4.) Scan copy of your VALID Passport Data Page.
5.) Scan copy of your recent POLICE CHARACTER CERTIFICATE, issued by the police department of your country

APPLICATIONS PROCEDURES

Read through the details and E-mail to us the relevant documents- hnuadmissions@outlook.com

1. Go over the courses on offer and choose a course and tell us your chosen courses .

2. Complete the Application Forms of of Hunan Normal University (we will send the form to you on request).

2. Complete the Medical Examination Form for International Students of Hunan Normal University(we will send the form to you on request).

3. Scan- send copies of your High school certificate and result- GCE O/Level etc

4. Scan-send a copy of your VALID Passport Data Page.

5. Scan-send a copy of your recent POLICE CHARACTER CERTIFICATE, issued by the police department of your country

Successful Applicant can be sure of getting their Official admission notice Letter and the JW202 visa letter ready for pick up or posting around 4

weeks after submitting and processing the application.

CONTACT : HUNAN NORMAL UNIVERSITY- Overseas Admissions Coordinators(African Students)

MR James/Joe/Mao (Tel/Whatsapp/Text; +8615580837024
E-mail : hnuadmissions@outlook.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hunan-Normal-University-Admissions-for-African-Students/397888570392257
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by estacyresource: 11:25am On Jun 12, 2015
2015/2016 Nigerian Agip Exploration Limited Post Graduate Scholarship Award Scheme for Nigerians

http://youthopbank..com/2015/06/20152016-nigerian-agip-exploration.html

1 Share

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by Tarya(m): 12:35pm On Jun 12, 2015
Well...... the school i went to... B.S.U Makurdi, B.sc (Hons) is awarded to students who graduated with a CGPA of 3points nd above while B.sc is awarded to those who graduate with a CGPA of 2.9 nd below
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by donprudent: 1:18pm On Jun 12, 2015
This is to inform all prospective candidates of Federal Polytechnic Ede who are aspiring to pick up either the ND FT FORM,PART TIME FORM,ND DAILY PT FORM AND HND FT\DAILY PT FORM that all these Form will be out soon in a matter of weeks.

Hence, you may need to register or are you far away dont strain your muscles Distinct Tutors guarantees you the best as we very much available to this for you.
We have an on going Tutorial Class for Post Jamb student very close to the campus main gate. FREE ACCOMMODATION FOR ALL OUR STUDENT in a conducive environment. Our wide range of intellectual Tutors made us stand out in our pursuit for Excellence.

Need further information. Our WhatsApp group is ever online- 08169697844. Just Send the word "ADD DST" and you will find yourself in the group within a blink of an eye.

You can give us a call on that same line. Our Admin are ever available to talk to you.
DISTINCT TUTORS
Quest for Excellence!
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by gmacnoms(m): 4:01pm On Jun 12, 2015
I dey cum make I go check my certificate Weda dem add Honours for d BSc.Me I nor even no sef. hons or BSc hons, I no jst no.Make I go look for my certificate, I dey cum
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by gmacnoms(m): 4:03pm On Jun 12, 2015
gmacnoms:
I dey cum make I go check my certificate Weda dem add Honours for d BSc.Me I nor even no sef. hons or BSc hons, I no jst no.Make I go look for my certificate, I dey cum
I don check am, Honours dey join am. Btw, d Honours dey make person quick get work?
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by ekochris(m): 4:45pm On Jun 12, 2015
Thank you all - you have cleared my doubts and improved my knowledge.

I appreciate.
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by oluwawilliams(m): 4:59pm On Jun 12, 2015
STUDY IN UNIVERSITIES IN PHILIPPINES WITH LOW TUITION FEES NO JAMB, NO UTME.Seriously,why kill yourself over jamb while your mates got this information and are now studying in universities with international recognitions.Lots of countries in the world will invite you to study abroad which will be quit expensive and in most cases you've ignored,but have you ever considered the Philippines? Do you know atleast 1 out of 10 doctors in the US studied inthe Philippines? Do you know south Koreasends not less than a thousand students every month to study in Philippines?Aside from the international standard of teaching,the tuition fees in the Philippines is one of the cheapest you can find around the world. Most students in Philippines pays less than$500(#100,000)per section,which means with$2000(#400,000)you can complete a 4 years degree course.The amazing part of this is you don't need to hustle for admission all you need is your secondary school statement of result(WAEC).With your WAEC result or neco result you can gain admission to any school and course of yourchoice...below are some key stepsyou needto follow to become a student of Philippines1, you need tosubmit the necessary document(waec result,photocopy of passport Bio page etc) to any school of your choice in the Philippines andpay the necessary charges for the school toprocess and send you an invitation letter.2, you will wait for about 5 working days to receive your invitation letter from the schoolthrough DHL.3, After you've received the invitation, you will prepareother documents for authentication and go get your visa at the Philippines embassy in your country.4, buy your fight ticket and its done. You will be guided on other processes on your arrival to the Philippines.NOTE ::no payment of tuition fees to any one until yourarrival to the Philippines.Admission is sure,visa is sure...all am here todo is toguide you and give you information about the schoolshere. And there tuition fees.. for help about studying in Philippines do not hesitate to contact MR Tobi on +639477250322 Email: Tonioni2013@gmail.com Whatsapp:+639062418709 BBM: 569C2A60

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by jesusjewel1(f): 5:40pm On Jun 12, 2015
okolola25:

Good evening Prof. Please I need yor candid advice. I am a science education graduate. Wanna go for my Masters Degree, having 2 faculties to proceed into (Science and Edu) please what post graduate course (within my jurisdiction) would you recommend for me.......for the purpose of get good job upon graduation? Thanks.
Yea. Answering your question. You are a major in the faculty of Education and a minor in the faculty of Science(which you selected as a teaching course). You must have registered for their compulsory courses from 100-400 of which you had the required grade. If not, you'd be denied the opportunity to enrol for a masters program.
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by Richiez(m): 6:43pm On Jun 12, 2015
nice thread
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by Scholargrants: 7:21pm On Jun 12, 2015
Win a full scholarship worth of USD12,000 in Sweden to attend part-time studies in Communication from anywhere in the world!

Make your next educational move with Berghs School of Communication in Sweden! Win a full scholarship worth of 12,000 USD (100,000 Swedish Kronor) to attend two semesters of highly collaborative part-time studies in communication (about 15hours/week). You can study from anywhere in the world and combine this program with a full time job.

Get cracking and enter NOW. https://sqore.com/opportunity/creative-strategic-challenge-to-study-at-berghs?maid=a0A24000008TehOEAS&utm_source=Scholar4Dev:Berghs&utm_medium=Scholar4Dev:Berghs&utm_term=Scholar4Dev:Berghs&utm_content=Scholar4Dev:Berghs&utm_campaign=Scholar4Dev:Berghs

Good luck!

[url]scholargrants..com[/url]

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by Cavemannn(m): 8:41pm On Jun 12, 2015
Tanyogo:
I had not less than 10 carry overs with an extra semester during my 5 years degree programme, but was still issued Honours. So what are we saying here.

With your unapologetic post its easy to assume to work at a filling station probably a cleaner and you lie at home that you work in a petroleum company....amarite?

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by Cavemannn(m): 9:00pm On Jun 12, 2015
Bsc hons is when you graduate a non-virgin while bsc is just graduating like some average chump like you re, and bsc tech is graduating as a forever aloner. I hope this clears you doubts
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by Nobody: 12:27am On Jun 13, 2015
You'd be awarded a B.Sc(Hons) Certificate if you graduate with either of the following within the stipulated duration for your course of study
* First Class
* Second Class Upper
* Second Class Lower
* Third Class

You won't graduate with B.Sc (Hons), but rather B.Sc or nothing at all if you graduate with any grade asides the grades listed above e.g. 'Pass'..

#DELSU_blood
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by Tanyogo(m): 7:45am On Jun 13, 2015
Cavemannn:

With your unapologetic post its easy to assume to work at a filling station probably a cleaner and you lie at home that you work in a petroleum company....amarite?
Tnk God, I didn't see your post.
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by ekochris(m): 4:07pm On Jun 13, 2015
Cavemannn:
Bsc hons is when you graduate a non-virgin while bsc is just graduating like some average chump like you re, and bsc tech is graduating as a forever aloner. I hope this clears you doubts

Yeah, it cleared my doubts that you are an unrefined caveman.
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by guiddoti: 12:16pm On Jun 15, 2015
guardian09:

Difference between Bsc (Hons) and Bsc

http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/difference-between-bsc-and-bsc-hons/#ixzz3cnejUnpC

Difference between Bsc (Hons) and Btech

Bachelor of science is an undergraduate course in which you select a field in which you are going to pursue the degree ie in maths , chemistry, physics, biotechnology and many other. Where as on the other hand bachelor of technology is fully a technical course in which one learns everything practically.

http://www.quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-Bsc-And-B-Tech
The difference between BSc(hons) and BSc is: for BSc(hons) you are honoured for being of good character and in learning. For BSc you are not being honoured. Probably you are caught cheating or plagiarising people's work. or caught for serious offence.
BSc and Btech depends on the school. Most importantly, Schools that are built on technology like federal technologies will offer Btech rather than BSc. or your courses are technically taught
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by donprudent: 5:23pm On Jul 13, 2015
This is to inform all prospective candidate that the FEDERAL POLYTECHNIC EDE, ND Full Time, Part Time, Daily PT, and HND Forms are all out.
All prospective candidates can contact us for registration; 08169697844, 07033154795.
Our WhatsApp contact still remain unchanged - 08169697844. Email address - hr.distincttutors@gmail.com
Your location is never a challenge, save your transport we can always process every registration for you for token.

Post UTME Tutorial on Monday 20/07/2015. Free Accommodation for all our Tutorial candidate in a very conducive environment, CBT training also available. However, Accommodation facility for non-tutorial candidate will be charged @ reasonable price.

DISTINCT TUTORS!
Quest for excellence
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by Whois(m): 6:58pm On Feb 21, 2017
aytom:
When you graduate with 1st class, 2nd class upper or lower, or 3rd class, you will be awarded Honours. Otherwise, you will be awarded a B. sc(pass)

You Naid it. Gbam!
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by Nobody: 6:53pm On Apr 01, 2017
Tanyogo:
I had not less than 10 carry overs with an extra semester during my 5 years degree programme, but was still issued Honours. So what are we saying here.

Lol guy you be olodo o. Wetin you grad with abeg? Third?
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by Tanyogo(m): 9:25pm On Apr 01, 2017
Dreamwaker:

Lol guy you be olodo o. Wetin you grad with abeg? Third?
2:2
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by Nobody: 10:10pm On Apr 01, 2017
Tanyogo:

2:2

Nice. 10 COs sounds like a super GP dropper.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Microsoft Office 2010 Product Key Generator / Photos Of Kwara State University Library Set To Be Unveiled / Otusha Faith Agbo Graduates With First Class In Mathematics From UK University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.