Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,005 members, 7,973,464 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 05:03 PM

Listen More Than You Speak - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Listen More Than You Speak (1241 Views)

//pictures Speak// Ilorin Version Of #madeofblack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Listen More Than You Speak by felixchip(m): 2:56pm On Jun 18, 2015
As designers, we are always ready to tell clients how good we are and how we helped Mr. A get over his search for an awesome Logo, website or whatever service we offer. And then expect to hear them ask you to send them an your proposal.

Days after sending your proposal and you 're yet to hear from your prospect, you'll be wondering if he actually wanted your service or he just wanted to know how much your services are worth.
Have you ever wondered why most of the prospects who speak to you never get to get back to you?

You don't listen to their need(s)
You don't bother to ask what problem(s) their businesses 're facing
You keep telling how good you are

Clients are human just like you. And, giving them a listening ear may be all you need to lock on that project.

Allow your Clients state their problems
Prospects already know that you're a designer. But, what they're not of sure of is if you can provide a solution to their problem(s). And when you keep telling them how good you're at what you do and why they should not batter with you over prices and the cost of your service, they come to a conclusion that they were wrong after all. You can't solve their problem.

Why?
If actually you can provide a solution to a problem, then you should know what the problem is. If you took your car to a mechanic and he looks at it and tells you that it'll cost you $4000 to fix it. What will be your reaction? You should diagnose the car to know what the fault is before telling me it'll cost.
Even if as you were driving in, he heard the sound of the vehicle and knew what was wrong with it, you won't be comfortable having him fix it. You'll assume he's just after your money.

That's the same way you make your prospects feel when you fail to listen to them. They say to themselves

"if actually he's a professional as he claims, why don't he ask me what I actually need."

Clients are human and need to be given a listening ear. If you're paid 10,000$ to design a Logo with just the business name being provided, you'll still be on that project for the next 2 months. Why? You didn't ask the client what he wanted. They may just need you to make a monogram. Instead of running your head 24/7 trying to make an iconic and wonderful Logo.
Final thoughts:
Listening to your prospects could save you some stress. And help win new clients. As a designer, what you proffer is solutions. And there can't be solutions without first understanding the problem being faced by your client. Listening and understanding their needs and what they expect you to provide will not just give them the assurance that you can handle the project, but also help speed up the delivery time.

It doesn't mean you should go dumb while conversing with your clients, but, just utter agreeing words like: Ok.
All right.
Go ahead.
Make them understand that you're listening and has taken down all that they passed across. And, when they're done, repeat the key points they made to assure them that you got 'em. And bet me, when you bill 'em, they'll have little or no issue with your pricing.

http://www.cgminds.com/2015/06/listen-more-than-you-speak.html
Re: Listen More Than You Speak by willbob(m): 6:22pm On Jun 18, 2015
Thanks for the lectures, boss xchip

1 Like

Re: Listen More Than You Speak by felixchip(m): 6:39pm On Jun 18, 2015
willbob:
Thanks for the lectures, boss xchip

Thank you for checking it out, Boss.
Re: Listen More Than You Speak by imasineffect(m): 3:40pm On Jul 02, 2015
Thanks for the tips Boss putting it into practice immediately....

1 Like

Re: Listen More Than You Speak by Nobody: 8:44am On Jul 13, 2015
This or right. and that's a huge problem with Graphic designers... Most of them hardly ask what do you want? but then come Clients can be funny. when you ask them what they want their reply would be You should know what I want. Still I think its right to ask. thanks man.
Re: Listen More Than You Speak by felixchip(m): 9:48am On Jul 13, 2015
impactz:
This or right. and that's a huge problem with Graphic designers... Most of them hardly ask what do you want? but then come Clients can be funny. when you ask them what they want their reply would be You should know what I want. Still I think its right to ask. thanks man.

Well, understanding what thay need is very necessary. The problem is that some designers don't know how to put it to get the client talking. Once you work it out, getting the necessary info won't be a problem.
Re: Listen More Than You Speak by Nobody: 11:24am On Jul 13, 2015
felixchip:

Well, understanding what thay need is very necessary. The problem is that some designers don't know how to put it to get the client talking. Once you work it out, getting the necessary info won't be a problem.
you're right. I could remember when a friend of mine did a job for someone without asking
he spent hours on the job just for the client to come and reject the job

(1) (Reply)

Job Vacancy / Pls How Much Can I Get A Quality Second Hand Or Uk Used Camera? / 6 Days To Go

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.