Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,631 members, 7,918,035 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 08:53 PM

How Many Languages Do You Know? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Many Languages Do You Know? (7103 Views)

How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? / How Many Languages Do You Speak Fluently? / What Languages Do You Speak? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by MaiSuya(m): 2:24pm On Apr 04, 2009
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by honeric01(m): 2:34pm On Apr 04, 2009
I speak

Bini ( Fluent)
Yoruba ( Fluent)
English ( Fluent)
Hausa ( Little)
Ibo (Little)
Esan (Little)

Open to learn more.
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by UNLEASHED(m): 3:25pm On Apr 04, 2009
Four
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by djlimse: 8:51pm On Apr 04, 2009
[b][/b]PHINGOLILILY " A LANGUAGE FROM MARS"
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by JJCLondon: 6:58am On Apr 05, 2009
Guys,

Dis is real naija unity & (di) versity in action!

Well pour moi, am looking to learn French, Spanish & German? in good time, but right now, it's Yoruba, English for me!

And since my first visit to da true north (Abuja to be precise), whenever i heard my associates speak 'Hausa', y feel u want to learn, to just get in dere, in a matter of time

N i think it would be nice to understand / learn Ibo too

It's fantastic even to know dat Kogi (a state in Nigeria) consists of Ibira, Igala, Nupe & Yorubas?

Wasnt it Late Obafemi Awolowo dat said ''Nigeria is not a nation, but that it is an appellation used to describe the nations within its borders, unlike in Europe, where u have the french, irish, english nations in their own countries / defined borders''

Wouldnt it be great if more of us sought to learn more of each other's tribes and cultures especially languages?

Naija is great

Keep it up nairaland, it's been an interesting & wonderful forum thus far!

2 Likes

Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by mayor007(m): 6:52pm On Apr 05, 2009
I can speak English and Yorùbá languages very fluently, A little bit of Arabic and that is due to the fact that I'm a Muslim, I wanna learn how to speak it well together with French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Not forgetting Hausa and Igbo, Infact all languages
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by mayor007(m): 6:52pm On Apr 05, 2009
I can speak English and Yorùbá languages very fluently, A little bit of Arabic and that is due to the fact that I'm a Muslim, I wanna learn how to speak it well together with French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Not forgetting Hausa and Igbo, Infact all languages
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by server34(m): 12:13pm On Apr 06, 2009
English - very fluent - (Nigerian accent, British accent, American accent, indian accent too . . . any 1)

Ibibio - Mme sen sem iko nnyin. Nsi ka n ndi wed no fon.

French - Je parle tres bien francais, je peux parler avec l'accent francaise aussi.

Yoruba - Bee ni, awon nairaland, mo ti de o. Emi na soro yoruba. Se e wa pa?

Pidgin English - dem say no be today fowl sabi sey im yansh dey smell.

Spanish, German, Thai, Hindi, Igbo - I can say just the basics like how are you, good morning, thank you, please . . . etc
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Apr 06, 2009
@ POster.

Do you speak those languages fluently or you just out to Kid. shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Apr 06, 2009
well in that case i speak up to 23 languages, grin grin grin grin grin grin

how abt that.

dnot ask me to list them, pls. cool
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by TRACK: 5:18pm On Apr 06, 2009
think it will be cool to see the diversity of people on nairaland by knowing how many languages they speak. As I believe the best way to understand people is to learn their language if/when appropriate.

All languages including foreign and local to Nigeria in order of proficiency (speaking, reading, writing) Highest proficiency to lowest proficiency.

1. English
2. French
3. Chinese Mandarin (Putonghua)
4. Yoruba
5. Igarra

How can you measure the diversity of a person based on these few languages.Ukwuani, ika,igbo ,hausa nor dey your list?
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by Omima(m): 11:20pm On Apr 06, 2009
Yoruba
Ifon{my local dialect}
English
Pidgin English
I speak in TONGUES
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 10:05am On Apr 07, 2009
angry many many people,different faces,

1 Like

Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by Cactus(m): 2:31pm On Apr 07, 2009
Nairaland is making it difficult to find posts one posted. Kinda messed up the system is not like it used to be

@brein
I speak them intermediate to fluent

English - fluent            since growing up
French - High intermediate lol   about 10years ago started
Chinese - intermediate               8 months and counting
Yoruba - intermediate                on and off depending on environment and people around
Igarra - beginner lol                    so so once a while when i hear

It is quite interesting to see the diversity and how much people are learning. Pretty cool
Diversity doesnt necessary me local and foreign. As we all know different parts of nigeria has different cultures. Knowing those as well is great. I am not a yoruba guy but I know how to speak, read a little and understand yoruba. That helps in many ways. As I think i said previously like knowing languages will help understand people. You have something to relate to. It is all about understanding and being aware of our differences and accepting of those who do thing totally different from us.

Diversity is not only about learning languages. I bet many people have lived in different places in their lifetime but it is difficult to pick up the language. But they understand and know about culture and traditions. Picking up a new language as we know is not an easy thing to do. We do what we can to pick up those we may have interest in. So Languages is just part of it there are other things you need to take into consideration
Hopefully that makes things clearer. lol
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by nzeaji(m): 10:27pm On Apr 07, 2009
I SPEAK:

ENGLISH

IBIBIO

IGBO

EFIK

PIDGIN

FRENCH (VERY LITTLE)

YORUBA (VERY LITTLE)
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by barisi101(m): 7:25am On Apr 09, 2009
Yeghe(An Ogoni language dialect)
English
Yoruba(A little)
Gibberish
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by barisi101(m): 7:25am On Apr 09, 2009
Yeghe(An Ogoni language dialect)
English
Yoruba(A little)
Gibberish
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by qkman: 4:28pm On Apr 09, 2009
i speak;
Yoruba
English (native english)
Owo dialect (yoruba tribe)

Understand Hausa but speak lil'
some Igbo
speak spanish fluently and italian.
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by EyesRight: 12:14am On Apr 12, 2009
I speak english fluently (native language) but am desperately learning to speak spanish fluently, for all of my friends in Nairaland, what is the best way to become multilingual, please be precise and informative in your suggestions. Thanks to all, will be visiting Nigeria next month for my first visit to the "Motherland" where the most beautiful people on the planet reside.

EyesRight smiley
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by oliidell(m): 12:14pm On Apr 12, 2009
English
Igbo
Yoruba
NIgerian pidgin
Pidgin English.

A little of:
Hausa
French
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by queenTG(f): 5:36pm On Apr 12, 2009
FRENCH - ENGLISH - ITALIAN - SPANSH DIALETS: (BASSAR KOTOKOLI KABYE EWE MINE) TOGO (litttle of IGBO, HOUSSA , BINI ,YURUBA) NIGERIA
i tra sha
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by teissys(f): 4:03pm On Apr 27, 2009
I can speak;
*English
*Kiswahili
*Taita
*Pokomo
*French (A little)
*Italian
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by Nobody: 3:28pm On May 16, 2009
server34:

English - very fluent - (Nigerian accent, British accent, American accent, indian accent too . . . any 1)

Ibibio - Mme sen sem iko nnyin. Nsi ka n ndi wed no fon.

French - Je parle tres bien francais, je peux parler avec l'accent francaise aussi.

Yoruba - Bee ni, awon nairaland, mo ti de o. Emi na soro yoruba. Se e wa pa?

Pidgin English - dem say no be today fowl sabi sey im yansh dey smell.

Spanish, German, Thai, Hindi, Igbo - I can say just the basics like how are you, good morning, thank you, please . . . etc

tu veux dire avec l'accent FRANÇAIS, pas francaiSe. c'est UN accent, pas UNE accent!
i hope you speak better than you write.
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by tamme: 1:22am On May 20, 2009
5 cool
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by angelgirl1(f): 12:55pm On May 25, 2009
I only know English fluently.
I have studied Spanish as a requirement by my college, but I am by no means fluent,
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by kliva6(f): 8:59am On Jul 09, 2009
igbo english spanish french mandarin hebrew portugese japanese(a little) arabic german and a little hausa. dn't ask why i HAD 2 learn them grin
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by mayrho(m): 9:29am On Jul 09, 2009
kliva6:

igbo english spanish french mandarin hebrew portugese japanese(a little) arabic german and a little hausa. dn't ask why i HAD 2 learn them grin

shocked sorry i have 2 ask are you some secret service agent or what
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by kliva6(f): 11:27am On Jul 09, 2009
LOL grin
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by mayrho(m): 11:33am On Jul 09, 2009
You dey laugh I say make u answer something
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by kliva6(f): 11:35am On Jul 09, 2009
i'm laughing cuz the question is funny 2 me. anyway i'm not, i'm just a normal person
cheesy
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by Liyola(m): 12:12pm On Jul 11, 2009
I speak-
Yoruba (ijebu, abeokuta, awori, ondo)
English
Pilgin English
Afrikaans
Ashanté (ghana language)
Arabic
Re: How Many Languages Do You Know? by tamme: 4:16pm On Jul 11, 2009
only english

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

An Account Of The Dispersal Of People Across The Sahale Around The Fall Of Kanem / What's Wrong With Your Tribe? / What Does The Word ''itutu'' Mean In Yoruba?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.