Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,100 members, 7,939,441 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 05:25 AM

10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. (43600 Views)

Interesting Facts About Ibadan / Things You Might Not Know About Ibadan City / 15 Common Misconceptions About Yoruba People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by tonychristopher: 8:37pm On Jun 19, 2015
MrNiceGuy5:

Buildings in the east were formally brown roof but people started breaking all those brown roofs in onithsa to build 4 to 5 story building because you guys don't have enough land. But in the west, we don't break brown roofs building instead we move to another settlement in the same state to develop it. That is why you will see fine building even in that same ibadan that has brown roof.

Story..is ibadan bigger than new Jersey

Find another gist
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by MzThormi(f): 8:38pm On Jun 19, 2015
whyx06:

Are u trying to compare Abk wit Ib? Ibadan, city among populous cities in Africa.
Seems u' came from 19th century
I'm nt, just saying undecided
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Neplusultra(f): 8:40pm On Jun 19, 2015
tonychristopher:

Story..is ibadan bigger than new Jersey

Find another gist
U dey see d story?! Haha!!!
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by tonychristopher: 8:42pm On Jun 19, 2015
Neplusultra:
U dey see d story?! Haha!!!

Nne. ..no mind them

We know them

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jun 19, 2015
grin
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by BABANGBALI: 8:48pm On Jun 19, 2015
NovusHomo:

That "sleep like a log of wood" part na 88% of Nigerian girls whether na for 9ja o, Europe o, and even America o.
naija babes una see una life?ordinary fok una no sabi do,na to lie down like a log of wood una sabi,shame shame shame on una tongue
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by thedio(m): 9:55pm On Jun 19, 2015
ibadan the home of warriors,the heart beat of western region, i am proud of my city.ibadan maja maja to n le ara iwaju.
ogun o kowa ri,ogun o kowa ri omo ibadan ki se eru eni kokan ogun o kowa ri.
Many of those names were given to ibadan cos of many of u(omo a ti oko wa ba ile je omo ale jatijati)

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by gbengus17: 9:58pm On Jun 19, 2015
AM FROM IBADAN, I RESPECT NAIRALAND A LOT BUT I DONT EXPECT THIS TYPE OF HUMULATING COMMENTS FROM UR ORGANISATION COS I HAVE TRAVELLED ALL OVER THIS NIGERIA AND THERE IS NO CITY AS FREE AND ACCOMONDATING LIKE IBADAN. IT IS THE ONLY CITY ANY ONE CAN ENTER AND SETTLE PERMANENTLY. CAN YOU JUST ENTER AND SETTLE IN KANO- MAUDUGURI- ABA OR ENUGU ANYHOW. THERE WAS A TIME, IN ABA ALONG DOUGLAS AVENUE OR SO, I WAS LODGING AND THE OWNER CAME AND CHECKED ME OUT AROUND 10PM SAYING I DONT WANT NI GBA TI, GBA TI IN MY HOTEL.(HE REFUNDED MY MONEY TO ME), THAT DAY I WENT TO MY OFFICE BRANCH IN ABA TO SLEEP WITH CENTENARIES.WITH MY RANK. I WAS ON MY WAY TO P/H, I WILL NEVER FORGET IN MY LIFE.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by donodion(m): 10:00pm On Jun 19, 2015
DollyParton1:

hahaha. .. "woju bi ina beetle" Lawd!!!!
I shared a room with two Ibadan babes for a year.
Dang!!! Those girls got lines. They got very crazy replies for every statements that has the slightest resemblance to an insult. It got to a point we had to nickname them "Oyo mesi" (Oyo knows the best reply).
Hehehe na so my sista.I've learnt when it comes to physical combat,Ibadan would mellow,but verbal match they always win..hands down.grin grin grin
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by emmansy(m): 10:22pm On Jun 19, 2015
ribbit:
i love amala kiss

Its funny how that has become one of my Favorite food
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by OLEBRUKU(m): 10:31pm On Jun 19, 2015
Lmao at Ibadan guys bashing...

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by hardychris(m): 10:32pm On Jun 19, 2015
I'v been to Ibadan and I noticed dat brown zinc of a thing. Chai I go finish my ibadan colleague on Monday. But that woman must be a strong woman for her to fight a lion and sustain only small bruises on her face. But food. Dey cheap there o! With #100 u go chop beta food ganished with #500 pepper. Hahaahaaha
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Nobody: 12:08am On Jun 20, 2015
steppin:
Op,
Most of the things you got on your list are not misconception in any way.
Is it the brown roofs? The tribal marks? The funny accent?
Abeg which one is the misconception there?

Where you came from, are there no brown roof? no tribal markings? or accent? abeg forget that poo, you are just attaching negative attention to Ibadan cos of your petty hatred.

let's assume all this are peculiar to Ibadan, and no other place in the world share this attributes, did anyone forced you to come to Ibadan, or set up your businesses there? Why not stay in your white room city and stop these stereotypes.

Ibadan is a force to reckon with, brown roof or not, tribal mark or not. it has always been and will always be. so, go and fuc-king hang yourself.
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by steppin: 12:21am On Jun 20, 2015
Tesiday:

Where you came from, are there no brown roof? no tribal markings? or accent? abeg forget that poo, you are just attaching negative attention to Ibadan cos of your petty hatred.

let's assume all this are peculiar to Ibadan, and no other place in the world share this attributes, did anyone forced you to come to Ibadan, or set up your businesses there? Why not stay in your white room city and stop these stereotypes.

Ibadan is a force to reckon with, brown roof or not, tribal mark or not. it has always been and will always be. so, go and fuc-king hang yourself.
See idiat! Who the Bleep wants to live in Ibadan?
Which force you wan reckon with? The lack of toilets in most of the houses?
I never see better place na brown leaking roof area I go settle.
Waka for there! Who send you? Mumu!
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by shevi4mb(m): 12:26am On Jun 20, 2015
Lolzzzzz, this article is as funny as ibadan myth. But my sweetheart stays in ibadan and dats the only tin i love in ibadan... grin
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Nobody: 12:28am On Jun 20, 2015
InyinyaAgbaOku:

The bigger a city is, the more developed it should be if there is population . Oyo receives more allocations than anambra.

And Oyo is far bigger than Anambra. Most of the brown roof houses are family house which more often than not belongs to 3 to 6 extended families and to get it rehabilitated or have the roof changed is always difficult cos of the politics, quarrels or spiritual aspects. People just move on and build their own new house in new beautiful area. well, most of this new areas which are fine are not along the Lagos - Ibadan express where where you all get your brown roof bias. Ibadan is a mixture of old and new, old techs and new techs. that's it.
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by daveP(m): 12:35am On Jun 20, 2015
Chai the BR city!!!

All true though
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by steppin: 12:44am On Jun 20, 2015
MrNiceGuy5:

Buildings in the east were formally brown roof but people started breaking all those brown roofs in onithsa to build 4 to 5 story building because you guys don't have enough land. But in the west, we don't break brown roofs building instead we move to another settlement in the same state to develop it. That is why you will see fine building even in that same ibadan that has brown roof.
Kai! The sorry excuses you guys give sometimes, gives me the jitters!
We don't have enough land and that's why we build 4 to 5 stories?
Where did you get that idea from? I guess you can say the same for places like New york with skyscrappers.
Ibadan has brown roofs cos yorubas depend on govt heavily. Most of them are civil servants.
How many civil servants can come up with 35-40 million to build a 4-5 story building?
All the 4 to 5 stories in the east are built by individuals. Business men mostly.
Yorubas take 2nd in poverty rate after the abokiis.
So, spare me that bullshit about having a vast area of land.

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 2:10am On Jun 20, 2015
Tesiday:

And Oyo is far bigger than Anambra. Most of the brown roof houses are family house which more often than not belongs to 3 to 6 extended families and to get it rehabilitated or have the roof changed is always difficult cos of the politics, quarrels or spiritual aspects. People just move on and build their own new house in new beautiful area. well, most of this new areas which are fine are not along the Lagos - Ibadan express where where you all get your brown roof bias. Ibadan is a mixture of old and new, old techs and new techs. that's it.
How come most of the houses are still being occupied by people if they were abandoned?
spiritual reasons hindering renovation?
Let's end this
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 2:11am On Jun 20, 2015
steppin:

Where did you get that idea from? I guess you can say the same for places like New york with skyscrappers.
Ibadan has brown roofs cos yorubas depend on govt heavily. Most of them are civil servants.
How many civil servants can come up with 35-40 million to build a 4-5 story building?
All the 4 to 5 stories in the east are built by individuals. Business men mostly.
Yorubas take 2nd in poverty rate after the abokiis.
Can you imagine.
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by tpiadotcom: 2:17am On Jun 20, 2015
InyinyaAgbaOku:

How come most of the houses are still being occupied by people if they were abandoned?

where did you see abandoned in his post?
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by tpiadotcom: 2:23am On Jun 20, 2015
steppin:

InyinyaAgbaOku:

Can you imagine.

apply sense.

You build up (wards) when there is no land.

You build wide when there is.

all things being equal!
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by emdee01: 3:14am On Jun 20, 2015
[quote author=juman post=34929390]There is common say that goes: Ibadan ti ko jale oju ni onrį».

Stop to tarnish our image " it's just old proverb. I am frm ibadan. We ar straight forward person but we dont want other state to prove that he/she wise.i hav been to different three country, ibadan people are doing great there. Ibadan is pace setters. Ilu to gba onile to gba alejo. I proud of u.

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by donkross1(m): 5:38am On Jun 20, 2015
My city...... I love my city.
Am a deltan who grew up in ibadan n I must tell you I.B is one of d nicest place to stay . Gone are those days when I.B was for the Old n locals. Par example take a look at Lead city university, we have many students who didn't grow or live in ibadan that are schooling there. In ibadan now Yahoo is the order of the day, every body making there lil money in there own way. The city has moved from what people used to think of it. God bless you. God bless my city Ibadan

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by steppin: 7:32am On Jun 20, 2015
tpiadotcom:

apply sense.

You build up (wards) when there is no land.

You build wide when there is.

all things being equal!
Story! How many brown roofs do you see in Onitsha?
Building wide indeed!
For once, you guys should accept that aside from Lagos, other South western states are below average.
No need over-hyping like your people always do.
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Nobody: 9:08am On Jun 20, 2015
InyinyaAgbaOku:

spiritual reasons hindering renovation?
Let's end this

there are the haves and haves not, the haves not which include the poor artisans who look for very cheap apartments, aged fathers or mothers and siblings of the tenants.
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by LOUIS6(m): 9:27am On Jun 20, 2015
nkemdi89:
3 bedroom flat in town is 60k a year which can not even rent a room in owerri. Cheap green taxi at 20naira a drop. Sasha, dugbe cocoa house and orita challenge.

For real.....?

Pls do you stay @ IBADAN?
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Nobody: 9:49am On Jun 20, 2015
pls don't just say things about this city based only on what you see on the express to Lagos and while Ekene or pmt is taking you to LAGOS. Visit Ibadan, find a guide to take you through.

And pls if you have not spent at least 2 months in IB City, please verify things before you take them as true. Thanks.

One love In City.
Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by intestine: 10:46am On Jun 20, 2015
Tesiday:

right on point,this not only an ibadan tin,most s/w cities are also guilty of this..cos of there polygamous life style..no body want to spend his money on a house owned by many..

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan. by Adesiji77: 10:47am On Jun 20, 2015
Ibadan rocks...proud to be "born and bred" there wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Emir Of Kano Bayero In His Cadillac V8 314 Custom Phaeton 1931 (Throwback Photo) / Sweet Egun Names / When Your Boy Friend Is The Leader Of Masquerade Group In Your Village [PHOTO]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.