Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,957 members, 7,873,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:52 AM

Was Christ Poor, If Yes At What Point Did He Become Poor? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Was Christ Poor, If Yes At What Point Did He Become Poor? (863 Views)

Nairaland Atheist, At Which Point Did You Become Atheist / Was Christ Crucified? / If God Hates Human Sacrifice, Why Did He Sacrifice His Son On The Cross? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Christ Poor, If Yes At What Point Did He Become Poor? by Anas09: 9:28am On Jun 20, 2015
One of the arguments used by those who oppose the idea of material prosperity for Christians is that Jesus was poor during the time he lived on earth. They say he lived an improvished life from the time He was born on a stable and laid in a Manger bed, throughout His ministry when He had no home, until He was crucified and buried in a borrowed tomb.
This idea of Jesus' poverty has been repeated so often and passed down for so long that people never stop to question it and see if is scriturally valid. Now let 'US' the Christian community here scripturally peruse this.
Cc: Dolphinheart, Jcross, thruthman,ifeann, prohetudeme, pastor, ayoku. Etc. Welome.
Re: Was Christ Poor, If Yes At What Point Did He Become Poor? by iliyande(m): 9:53am On Jun 20, 2015
Jesus Christ's life on earth can not be described as poor nor rich. why? Yes because he lives an authoritative life while on earth.

To the LORD your God belong the heavens, even the highest heavens, the earth and everything in it. (Deuteronomy 10:14)

For every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills. (Psalm 50:10)

The world is mine, and all that is in it. (Psalm 50:12)

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine," declares the LORD Almighty. (Haggai 2:cool

Jesus indicated those verses:
Matt 21.2
"Go into the village over there," he said. "As soon as you enter it, you will see a donkey tied there, with its colt beside it. Untie them and bring them to me.

Jesus and the Miraculous Catch of Fish.

All the above is to teach christians to ask for anything at anytime.

Jesus is not rich nor poor because owns everything.
Re: Was Christ Poor, If Yes At What Point Did He Become Poor? by iliyande(m): 9:53am On Jun 20, 2015
Jesus Christ's life on earth can not be described as poor nor rich. why? Yes because he lives an authoritative life while on earth.

To the LORD your God belong the heavens, even the highest heavens, the earth and everything in it. (Deuteronomy 10:14)

For every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills. (Psalm 50:10)

The world is mine, and all that is in it. (Psalm 50:12)

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine," declares the LORD Almighty. (Haggai 2:cool

Jesus indicated those verses:
Matt 21.2
"Go into the village over there," he said. "As soon as you enter it, you will see a donkey tied there, with its colt beside it. Untie them and bring them to me.

Jesus and the Miraculous Catch of Fish.

All the above is to teach christians to ask for anything at anytime.

Jesus is not rich nor poor because he owns everything.
Re: Was Christ Poor, If Yes At What Point Did He Become Poor? by Harvard13(m): 9:53am On Jun 20, 2015
uve said it all. wetin we wan add?
Re: Was Christ Poor, If Yes At What Point Did He Become Poor? by Nobody: 10:18am On Jun 20, 2015
i think the scripture you are talked about @op is 2cor8:
many pastors and preachers use this verse dishonestly in today trend(the so-called PROSPERITY GOSPEL).

That is why it is Good to read and study the whole letter..dont read in portions.
lemme explain what it means
What that verse Talking about it
"Jesus was made poor so that we could me made rich."
this scripture is clearly not talking about material prosperity.it is very Dishonest to use the scripture for material prosperity..
What it explains is that,
See 2cor5:21:-
Jesus was made sin,he who knew no sin,that we may be made the righteousness of God..

so In like manner,he was telling the Saints in 2cor8 should give to needy(believers in need) in that manner..
They should Give thier riches for others in need.
They should provide the needs of the needy even at the expense of becoming poor.

Same way Jesus was made sin(poor) who knew no sin(poverty) that we(sinners) may become the righteousness(riches) of God.

SELAH
Re: Was Christ Poor, If Yes At What Point Did He Become Poor? by Anas09: 3:22pm On Jun 20, 2015
@sportmaster.
If I get u correctly, you are saying that Jesus died only to restore man back to righteousness(right standing with God) only? You mean He did not restore man to any physical authority?
You mean God created the heavens and earth for satan and his crowd? Ah. But what about the promises he made to anyone who will obey and keep his commandments? Isa 1:19 If you be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land. Are you saying that the blessings God promised are in the spirit realm? Are lands in the spirit realm?
Now, Adam disobeyed and lost out, what about those who obey? What about our covenant fathers? Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Job, Moses, David, Solomon, Boaz, go on mention them. You mean their wealth were spiritual?.
Jesus had no business being on this earth in the first place. For one reason only he came "Redemption/Restoration". Jesus didn't need any of the material wealth, he is not of the earth.
God is not against getting wealth. For it is the Lord who giveth thee power to make wealth Deut 8: 18. What God is against is forgetting who gave thee power to make wealth thereby putting the wealth first.
Re: Was Christ Poor, If Yes At What Point Did He Become Poor? by dolphinheart(m): 3:49pm On Jun 20, 2015
I can only contribute if I know the op's and others view on the meaning of the word "poor", "rich","prosperity" and "wealth"

Cus I know that if I have 20million naira only (used to laugh when I see the word "only" added to such large amount of money, abegi!) in my account, ill consider myself rich. But I dnt think bill gates or dangote will have that same view as mine if there bank account figures drops Down to that level o!
Re: Was Christ Poor, If Yes At What Point Did He Become Poor? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jun 20, 2015
Anas09:
@sportmaster.
If I get u correctly, you are saying that Jesus died only to restore man back to righteousness(right standing with God) only? You mean He did not restore man to any physical authority?
You mean God created the heavens and earth for satan and his crowd? Ah. But what about the promises he made to anyone who will obey and keep his commandments? Isa 1:19 If you be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land. Are you saying that the blessings God promised are in the spirit realm? Are lands in the spirit realm?
Now, Adam disobeyed and lost out, what about those who obey? What about our covenant fathers? Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Job, Moses, David, Solomon, Boaz, go on mention them. You mean their wealth were spiritual?.
Jesus had no business being on this earth in the first place. For one reason only he came "Redemption/Restoration". Jesus didn't need any of the material wealth, he is not of the earth.
God is not against getting wealth. For it is the Lord who giveth thee power to make wealth Deut 8: 18. What God is against is forgetting who gave thee power to make wealth thereby putting the wealth first.

I simply clarified the scripture you posted,that scripture is not talking about material prosperity, thats y i always advise to read in context and reading the whole letter not in portions.

2cor8
Re: Was Christ Poor, If Yes At What Point Did He Become Poor? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jun 23, 2015
Anas09:
One of the arguments used by those who oppose the idea of material prosperity for Christians is that Jesus was poor during the time he lived on earth. They say he lived an improvished life from the time He was born on a stable and laid in a Manger bed, throughout His ministry when He had no home, until He was crucified and buried in a borrowed tomb.
This idea of Jesus' poverty has been repeated so often and passed down for so long that people never stop to question it and see if is scriturally valid. Now let 'US' the Christian community here scripturally peruse this.
Cc: Dolphinheart, Jcross, thruthman,ifeann, prohetudeme, pastor, ayoku. Etc. Welome.
you didnt tag our names well thats why am not notified.
2 corinthians 8 vs 9 - for you know the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ who though He was rich but became poor for your sakes so that we thru Him might be rich.
Though that verse talks about spiritual riches. When Jesus came to earth, it was to be a short work out of salvation for us on earth and what would be the need for Jesus to be rich on earth? Certainly no need. So thats why He was borned into a humble family and continued with humble disciples and He worked out our salvation and went back to His Father in heaven. So Jesus was not rich on earth because there was absolutely no need. But we now thru His grace can be rich and enjoy the things on earth thats why paul says that He has given us all things that pertains to godliness on earth and also in timothy that He gives us all things richly to enjoy. Hope youre okay with this Anas09

(1) (Reply)

Do You Pray To Marry A Lady With Your Mum's-like Attitude To Your Dad / There Is Always A Reason To Thank God! / Best Teachers Day Poems In English For Kids | Teachers Day Poem In Hindi Languag

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.