Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,241 members, 7,880,896 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:52 AM

Under Buhari Government In Nigeria,Unpaid Workers Take Fight Over Salaries To UN - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Under Buhari Government In Nigeria,Unpaid Workers Take Fight Over Salaries To UN (745 Views)

Muslim Woman Vents Anger On Buhari's Government In Abuja (Video) / I Usually Helped Badeh Convert N558m From Staff Salaries To Dollars, Witness / Buhari Set To Meet State Governors Over Unpaid Workers Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Under Buhari Government In Nigeria,Unpaid Workers Take Fight Over Salaries To UN by atlwireles: 12:26pm On Jun 23, 2015
Government workers in Nigeria angry over unpaid salaries have taken their grievances to the United Nations’ labor agency, according to Premium Times Nigeria. The move follows months of dwindling federal revenues that have shrunk state budgets and led to many local governments being unable pay their employees, some of whom have gone more than 10 months without wages. Some have accused President Muhammadu Buhari’s government of being idle on the issue.

A complaint was filed with the U.N.’s International Labour Organization, which deals with labor issues related to international employment standards, over the weekend on behalf of Nigerian government workers. It was spearheaded by the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, a nonprofit group based in Nigeria that promotes “transparency and accountability” in the public and private spheres.

The group accused governments of failing to pay billions of dollars in government salaries, pensions and entitlements across several states. “There is absolutely no justification why state governments or the Federal Government in Nigeria should not pay workers’ salaries,” the statement reads. “In fact international law provides that workers’ salaries must be paid even in times of severe resource constraints, as disadvantaged and marginalized individuals and groups must be protected by the adoption of targeted programmes to ensure that they live in dignity.”

The group added that “the failure to pay workers’ salaries also violates Nigeria’s obligations to respect, protect and fulfill the right to work [and shows] that they are unwilling to use the maximum of their available resources through insufficient expenditure or misallocation of public funds.”

Lawmakers last week called for a government bailout to cover the unpaid salaries. Governors from the country’s 36 states met Wednesday to discuss the bailout. They blamed Nigeria’s financial problems on declining revenues, largely the result of falling oil prices, and what they said were the bad economic policies of the previous administration under former President Goodluck Jonathan.

“The matter has become so serious that urgent action must be taken for a bailout for the states, as things are not getting better either,” Rochas Okorocha, governor of Imo state, told journalists. “We have sat down to review steps that should be taken, and we are calling for total overhaul of the system to block all the leakages in our nation’s economy.”

Some governors have taken austerity into their own hands. Gov. Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia state announced Monday he would cut his salary and travel allowance by 50 percent, according to Punch. He promised to “do everything possible” to get the state’s government workers back on the payroll.

http://www.ibtimes.com/under-buhari-government-nigeria-unpaid-workers-take-fight-over-salaries-united
Re: Under Buhari Government In Nigeria,Unpaid Workers Take Fight Over Salaries To UN by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jun 23, 2015
pls anybody with the understanding of this write-up should put me through because i don't know what concerns UN with Nigerians unpaid salary or maybe they have forgotton that our president toke a 'wish list' to them which we are still expecting the outcome or maybe Ban-ki-moon and the rest five permanent UN member will bring thier country's money to pay them.

#Another waste of energy.

1 Like

Re: Under Buhari Government In Nigeria,Unpaid Workers Take Fight Over Salaries To UN by atlwireles: 12:30pm On Jun 23, 2015
Can the UN help this Nigerian workers, I don't think so. Enjoy your change angry
Re: Under Buhari Government In Nigeria,Unpaid Workers Take Fight Over Salaries To UN by raayah(f): 12:33pm On Jun 23, 2015
Re: Under Buhari Government In Nigeria,Unpaid Workers Take Fight Over Salaries To UN by dam4wummy(m): 12:34pm On Jun 23, 2015
Na we dey kill ourselves, wetin concern UN with naija matta
Re: Under Buhari Government In Nigeria,Unpaid Workers Take Fight Over Salaries To UN by BLOTRS: 1:27pm On Jun 23, 2015
mods front page
Re: Under Buhari Government In Nigeria,Unpaid Workers Take Fight Over Salaries To UN by LoveMachine(m): 2:44pm On Jun 23, 2015
So people sat around twiddling there thumbs and mumbling during all the campaigning this year but now within less than 30 days of the new gov they wanna shout? Buhari hasn't been in office for a month. They are owed many months of salary but now ant to make a fuss? Maybe my math and logic is off but shouldn't they have been storming As Rock months ago? This seems rather convenient. I don't like how this soup smells.
Re: Under Buhari Government In Nigeria,Unpaid Workers Take Fight Over Salaries To UN by mekadinho(f): 4:21pm On Jun 23, 2015
UN? OK, NXT ON DA LIST NA AU, FROM AU TO FIFA, TO CNN, BBC AND DHL... ALL NA NOTICE ME... FISCAL FEDERALISM IS DA ANSWER. I HEARD SOME STATE CAN'T GENERATE EVEN 5B INTERNAL REVENUE. I PRAY OUR SITUATION DOESNT TURN LIK D ONE GREECE IS FACING NW...

(1) (Reply)

Oby Ezekwesili Denies Appointment Of Chibok Girls Principal / Former Benue State Governor In Jail At The UK / Boko Haran Prisoners: Obiano Pleads For Calm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.