Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,871 members, 7,969,642 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 11:27 AM

NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps (4369 Views)

Bigadier-General Sule Zakari Is Director-General Of NYSC Now (Photo) / PDP Will Return In 2019 - Abdullahi Maibasira, PDP National Youth Leader / Fuel Scarcity: Blame FG For Your Suffering, Marketers Tell Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by Pepeye(f): 11:35pm On Mar 08, 2009
NYSC has outlived its usefulness it shud be scrapped, honestly the scheme is a waste of human material resources
It’s no longer relevant in the scheme of things, it currently downright dangerous project that’s putting some of the country’s best hope in harm’s way.
A nightmare to young graduates
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by dayokanu(m): 12:33am On Mar 09, 2009
ekoboy,

Tell you friend who was posted to Bauchi not to worry He might get some correct yarinya there.

Tell him to request for Shira, Zaki or Gamawa Local govt and he can come back with a Shariahed arm for lookery lol.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by GatorLink(f): 12:39am On Mar 09, 2009
I heard that if ppl abroad goes back to naija to get a job, they have to serve in NYSC.

How true is this?
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by dayokanu(m): 12:42am On Mar 09, 2009
@gator,

Its true. You would be posted to Katsina state and you would have to use Purdah(Cover your head) else you would be shariahed
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by GatorLink(f): 1:14am On Mar 09, 2009
dayokanu:

@gator,

Its true. You would be posted to Katsina state and you would have to use Purdah(Cover your head) else you would be shariahed
But why?
Makes no sense if you ask me.
So if the person is around his/her 50s, she gotta serve with those immature "adults"?
I think an age limit should be placed on the service
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by Becomrrich: 1:43am On Mar 09, 2009
i did my service year in adamawa. and it was ok. that when nigeria was good o. not so much killing like now.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by kaygee1234: 1:34pm On Mar 09, 2009
GatorLink:

I heard that if ppl abroad goes back to naija to get a job, they have to serve in NYSC.

How true is this?
It's true in most instances you tribalistic dimwit.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by money4cash(m): 4:08pm On Mar 11, 2009
as a matter of fact, many solution to our problem today have ate up and still eating by rats in the school labrary. what do i mean, project is not surpose to be meant for a grade only but to provide solution for any giving problems. so let the one million naira be giving to every student who sincerely wrote their project all by themselves and asked to work and bring out a resonable result to their topics and see if they will not come out with better a advantage than what they would have achieved in a service year. let commit them to work and bring the best out of themself than a year waste in strange course that some of them never even experience before.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by money4cash(m): 10:22pm On Mar 14, 2009
as a matter of fact, many solution to our problem today have ate up and still eating by rats in the school labrary. what do i mean, project is not surpose to be meant for a grade only but to provide solution for any giving problems. so let the one million naira be giving to every student who sincerely wrote their project all by themselves and asked to work and bring out a resonable result to their topics and see if they will not come out with better a advantage than what they would have achieved in a service year. let commit them to work and bring the best out of themself than a year waste in strange course that some of them never even experience before.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by Nobody: 7:55pm On Mar 15, 2009
ekoboy:

Permit to contribute to ur argument with A-town.
You talk about NYSC giving ppl a starting point. I disagree with that and say it actually slows people down. I got a job before NYSC and when the company found out that i was yet to serve they refused employing me and i was condemed to spending the next one yr in a remote village wasting. Imagine where i would have being with that one yr of working experience. Add that to the fact that after serve i searched for work for another 4months.

You say people get posted to banks and get retained there. My question is won't the banks employ fresh graduates again, whether through NYSC or not. Infact i even think it an unfair advantage posting some ppl to remote villages to waste and teach for nothing while their mates serve in banks and get retained afterwards. Mind you i got employed in a bank not through NYSC.

You say people meet their life partners during NYSC. i figure you met urs there. Was that one of your aims for wanting to serve. Life partners can be met anywhere.

To the issue of one milllio naira spent on each corper. I can't believe one million naira was spent on my head for me to waste in one Yoruba village for one year. Hungry for that matter, because the allowee was hadly enough. If the govt insists on spending the money, am sure the money will help graduates who want to establish something to do so. For those who have no ideas and just want to be employed, atleast they would have food on their table while they job hunt.

You talk about restructuring. that shows you also see something very wrong with the system. For me until someone can propose a very good structure I am voting for a scrap.

With all these ethnic problems happening , there is even more reasons to scrap, atleast for now. A friend of mind was recently posted to Bauchi state. As the guy was leaving for Bauchi, he was like a sheep led to slaughter. We are all working hard to see he redeploys to a southern state, atleast for his safety.

This is what i've been trying to point out but FBS just wants to argue.
I mean why should NYSC continue simply because you "may" meet your future wife/husband there.
Like you rightfully said, NYSC or no NYSC, employers will still hire graduates. NYSC is a waste of time. Scrap it or make it voluntary
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by Pepeye(f): 9:20pm On Mar 15, 2009
A-town:

This is what i've been trying to point out but FBS just wants to argue.
I mean why should NYSC continue simply because you "may" meet your future wife/husband there.
Like you rightfully said, NYSC or no NYSC, employers will still hire graduates. NYSC is a waste of time. Scrap it or make it voluntary
Lets stop dilly dally on the issue. . . its never going to be stopped. . it has come to stay albeit it has lost its value and should be scrapped
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by money4cash(m): 12:26am On Mar 30, 2009
can you imagine, you left your state for another state all in the name of service and on getting there they told you we are sorry there is no place for you, because there is no availability for the provision you may need so that you can function well such like shelter, transportation, or even your feeding. what about your life that you put on line while embacking on that long journey and some company will tell you, we didn't recieve any letter from NYSC leader for this, so they are not aware of their coming. now tell me where is this one million naira they claim they spent on each corper going to? i think it is only when federal government is able to answer this question that we may believe them either as of truth or as of lie.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by obiem(m): 12:53pm On Mar 30, 2009
Quite frankly, The NYSC has outlived it's usefulness. As far as i can remember, i learnt it was formed to fufil the 3 ''R''s decree of the Gowon administration after the civil war in 1970. That it did achieve to an extent, but this year makes it 39 years after the civil war and we are still operating a policy that has long "achieved'' it's aim.

Today, youth corp members are now hapless victims of ethnoreligious wars/clashes( a good number of them have been killed). I remember my service year Feb 2006, I was welcomed to the ''HOME OF PEACE'' (Borno) with a religious riot as a result of the Prophet Muhammad Cartoon which was drawn in far away Denmark. One corp member lost his life in the process!

The earlier it is scrapped, the better for us all to help save the lives of young vibrant boys/girls having endured the rigours of University life only to loose their lives in a senseless way!
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by money4cash(m): 10:04pm On Apr 01, 2009
[right]can you imagine, you left your state for another state all in the name of service and on getting there they told you we are sorry there is no place for you, because there is no availability for the provision you may need so that you can function well such like shelter, transportation, or even your feeding. what about your life that you put on line while embacking on that long journey and some company will tell you, we didn't recieve any letter from NYSC leader for this, so they are not aware of their coming. now tell me where is this one million naira they claim they spent on each corper going to? i think it is only when federal government is able to answer this question that we may believe them either as of truth or as of lie.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by Yasakaudu: 7:45am On Apr 18, 2009
NYSC should be optional. Graduates should be able to make a plan for their lives and live it out, without waiting on the game of roulette called NYSC posting to know where their lives are headed. If you really think about it, NYSC contravenes a basic human right - the right to choose your work and where you do it. Nobody applies for the NYSC, it is forced on them. The ILO should take a look at this and advise the Nigerian government to desist from mass forced labour.
If I were a hiring manager, I wouldn’t take any corpers. These are people who have no interest in your business. They probably had never heard of you before they got their posting letters. How are they supposed to be committed? Those who do well in jobs often research the organisation and make applications which show how they fit in. This is the reason why companies that reject corpers continue to take on students for industrial attachment. Both parties have a clear understanding what the student’s contribution will be and what the benefit will be.
Unless the NYSC can give people choice - of where they work and who they work for so graduates can take control of their own futures, we’ll just be wasting money and lives. Not only the lives of those who complete the programme, but also of those who die on our roads each year in the name of NYSC.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by EbonyNaija: 4:31pm On Jun 11, 2009
Really interesting viewpoints on the whole subject of NYSC. I put up a website where corps members can share their different views about the scheme, and blog about their different experiences. I think one of the biggest problems of the scheme is the total dearth of information. If you're posted to katsina state there's no where offline or online to get any information on how best to get there, the weather's peculiarities etc

Thats part of why i designed the site. Hopefully ppl will find it useful and will be encouraged to sharre there experiences with others and give much needed advice to incoming corps members.

The site is www.NyscTalk.com

Hope you guys check it out and find it useful, look forward to getting your response and feedback.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by sojjy: 8:37pm On Jun 11, 2009
The purpose of the scheme was to promote national integration but my experience so far is terrible,let the suffering scheme be scrapped.It add no value to the life of the youth.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by MUZBO(m): 11:12pm On Jun 19, 2009
It shouldn't be scrapped, just restructured! e.g reduce the duration and increase the pay.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by Strength10: 3:14am On Jun 20, 2009
NYSC should not be scrapped but restructured and amended in a way that benefits the students. First, they should not be posting students to where they will be exposed or cut up with ethnic and religious violence that they had nothing to do with. Secondly, they should have classes/lecture and training where students are thought leadership skills, Professionalism in work place, civility, entrepreneurship, tolerance, job opportunities and independence. If this program is utilized properly, it would serve Nigerian youths well as it will give them the tools to face the next chapter of their life. But as long as we have stupid leaders who do not even know or understand the importance of our youth, and education, it will be tough to amend. We should continue NYSC now not for military purposes because we are no more fighting the Civil war, but should continue it to take our youths into the 21st century well equipped with the basics they need to survive.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by russellino: 7:22pm On Jun 20, 2009
My service was the most exciting year of my life. As a "government pikin" i got to work in places, go places, earn an allowance while i was job hunting among other things. I know that ex-corpers who served far from their station are less tribalistic. Add up these and more and I'll say I support the NYSC
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by Ibomade1: 11:07pm On Oct 05, 2010
Waste of Space, a fellow Corper died in Camp during my Programme and all his parent got for the trouble was  N11,250.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by money4cash(m): 8:52am On Apr 26, 2011
time without number, i kept writing and calling for the scrap of this God forsaking service, called NYSC. its no longer worth it. every day by day, riot by riot, conflict by conflict, youth corpers are the specimen they used in test running their project, "project kill them all". i want to know where Jonathan sons and daughters serves as a corper or Buhari sons and daughters or Tinubu sons and daughters in this NATION. this is not for our good but for the interest of the few to defraud our nation the same way they always do. i know the blood of these innocent citizens will cry out soonest. 1993 bloodshed puts an end to the military rule in Nigeria, i Pray this one in 2011 will put an end to electoral rigging in nigeria. mark my word.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by vknights(m): 12:04am On May 05, 2012
I will never in anyway support the motion of nysc existence, what will a common man do,after the serving of 1 year and at the end of the day, there will be know job, for me anyone at alt all should go and register for part time in any school at all to aquire knowledge and at end apply what ever u av read/study to ur peersonl business and stop spending huge amount on studies in nigeria that is made up of rich man
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by HitlerGaddafi: 3:26pm On May 01, 2021
Wilfem:
I just finished my youth service in Abuja last Thursday and I'm in Total support of it's scrapping.
I was initially posted to the NYSC Headquaters in Maitama, Abuja, but I was among those rejected and you can imagine that, an NYSC organisation, HQ, rejecting it's own Corp members, embarassed embarassed cry cry so sad and shocking indeed. The worst part of it was that we were not given any "rejection" letter, we were just asked to go and report to the State HQ in Kubwa for reposting because they knew quite well that it'll be ridiculous of them, yet they kept on writing on the Dialies that no organisation should reject corp member. Isn't that a big shame? I'm in total support of it's scrapping, (if possible)
Too bad.
Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by HitlerGaddafi: 3:27pm On May 01, 2021
Jarus:
The most adventurous/challenging period in my life was my service year in Sokoto state, 2007-2008.
I support the programme continues, or at most, be made optional.
Scrap the damn thing and stop wasting the time of these graduates !

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Now Your Suffering Commences Or National Youth Service Corps by HitlerGaddafi: 3:30pm On May 01, 2021
sojjy:
The purpose of the scheme was to promote national integration but my experience so far is terrible,let the suffering scheme be scrapped.It add no value to the life of the youth.
Several years down the line, this your statement is still very much valid.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbo Youths Gives Gov., Fashola Three Days To Apologize / Why I Left APGA –obi / Bukola / Fayose Ticket 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.