Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,826 members, 7,872,777 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:36 PM

Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? (61883 Views)

FCSC: A Country Where 3rd Class Is Considered Above Msc + Bsc (2.1) / 5 Things You Can Do To Get A Good Job With A 2.2 Or 3rd Class / I Just Got A Job In A University With My 3rd Class. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by pingpong1: 9:44am On Jun 26, 2015
Stay positive brother. My wife has a 2.1 in same Microbiology and hasn't been able to get a job since graduating in 2001. The system is messed up. She found solace in baking and catering...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by ExInferis(m): 9:44am On Jun 26, 2015
i've a 3rd class too, and i got a job a year after nysc that paid me up to 322k a month within 8 years.

lost the job though this year after standing up to a bullying and incompetent director.

so yeah, you could get lucky.

5 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Nobody: 9:44am On Jun 26, 2015
You should have more to offer other than an ordinary degree. Besides, do you wanna spend the rest of your life working for others?

Why not learn a skill, start a business and become your own boss.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by beyoncausme: 9:45am On Jun 26, 2015
sure.. .a lot of people out there went through the same tin..

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by kunlap: 9:46am On Jun 26, 2015
hi bro,you will be surprise to hear that some multinational do not care about your class of degree.just have above a diploma with any class of degree and they are ok.I have a 2.1 and an MBA so when i was employed i thought it was because of my grade.

Some few months after my friend needed a joband he had a third class there was an opening he applied and was taken because he did well during the interview.So its not the credential that matters but what you ve got inside.

cheer up bro you will find a job soon,just be consistent with your career path and add more value to your self.

4 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by focus7: 9:51am On Jun 26, 2015
Op, send an e-mail to me you can get a job.

2 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by MrsAnyanwu(f): 9:51am On Jun 26, 2015
Nicepoker:
U STUDIED micro BIOLOGY AND BAGGED A 3rd CLASS. IN OTHER WORDS U STUDIED small BIOLOGY AND GRADUATED WITH 3rd CLASS . GUY U NO TRY!
u are a slow poke for saying dis, people lyk u disgust me, hv u seen the walls of a university? Trash

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by MicroBox: 9:52am On Jun 26, 2015
please don't go for your masters yet, my advice might sound funny but for me go get HND related to your course, you are still in your mid twenties. Your first degree is always the first requirement not your masters degree.

4 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by mannirmusa: 9:57am On Jun 26, 2015
Hi,
With God you 'll get it, just intensify prayers and put more efforts.!!!

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by xxxtedyxxx(m): 9:58am On Jun 26, 2015
Nicepoker:
U STUDIED micro BIOLOGY AND BAGGED A 3rd CLASS. IN OTHER WORDS U STUDIED small BIOLOGY AND GRADUATED WITH 3rd CLASS . GUY U NO TRY!
mumu.

6 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by opedaydydx9(m): 10:05am On Jun 26, 2015
ekiloui:

How did he get the job?

Through the front or back door?
lol m not sure,.... Buh i remember he met a junior school colleague as their manager, the guy gave him tips on what is required from him during D interview
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by adewumiopeyemi(m): 10:10am On Jun 26, 2015
but do u no that experience realy matter what about if he finish his master and pgd .. and doesn ge d job afer all d profesional couse....experience realy matter in nigeria...in getin d job
udoka2:
I am a HR practitioner.
From experiee your class of degree matters at entry level not at experienced and professional levels.

Most people with third class usually go into professional certifications; they do it to the highest level, that makes their first degree certificate irrelevant during hiring process. and i must say .. they are professionally sound,intentionally want to make up for their first degree and prove a point that grade of degree means nothing; rather COMPETENCY matters.

some young people believe its only connection that can give one job irrespective of grade...wrong. yes connection in some cases opens the door, but competency and character gives you job security and career advancement.

i will personally advise you to go professional certification route and do your pgd/masters later, since you have started, conclude do professional certifications and masters later. but be sure of what career you want for yourself because doing certification for doing sake, another mistake most people do.

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by adewumiopeyemi(m): 10:14am On Jun 26, 2015
u are right i came with third class and working a in reputable company paying well.....so crenditaial doesnt matter... but if u can pass the interview. u are taken...is not abt he crediential is what is in ur head will determine ur faith.....dat fact
kunlap:
hi bro,you will be surprise to hear that some multinational do not care about your class of degree.just have above a diploma with any class of degree and they are ok.I have a 2.1 and an MBA so when i was employed i thought it was because of my grade.

Some few months after my friend needed a joband he had a third class there was an opening he applied and was taken because he did well during the interview.So its not the credential that matters but what you ve got inside.

cheer up bro you will find a job soon,just be consistent with your career path and add more value to your self.

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Omotayor123(f): 10:15am On Jun 26, 2015
Op. why 3rd class na?

Back to Topic

If you don't relent Why not... .

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by stalione(m): 10:18am On Jun 26, 2015
Nicepoker:
tell me something! By the way the !diot is not necessary u know. in ur own case what distracted u in school.
it was ur mother's harl..otery and waywardness distracted me,I was trying 2put her on the right direction n along the line got distracted so much.The way u sound shows how empty u are.SMH!!! kiss

3 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by adewumiopeyemi(m): 10:20am On Jun 26, 2015
nigeria today is not about....ist class second class... first class is outside the street struggling while third class is geting the job....... with out conection.. that is d fact

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by princemmab(m): 10:20am On Jun 26, 2015
bodeoni:
Its not the degree that gets one a job, its your ability. The degree is just a way of shortlisting so as to reduce some load. One thing you could do is to de-emphasize your education on your CV and emphasize your achievements. I also think you should look outside microbiology cos its a course that hasn't really found its place in Nigeria hence few job oppurtunties.

Modified
By way of addition, I know some people will recommened that you start self-employment. Believe me, its not always the best option especially if you don't have adequate resources and proper know-how for whatever trade you might choose. Like I said earlier, de-emphasize education on all your applications. What you need to do now is gain some serious intermediate-expert level competency in various skills esp skills like Problem solving, Interpersonl skiils, Communication skills, critical thinking/questioning. You should also develop your research I.e knowing where/ how to obtain information and to properly harness or utilize said info for profit.

Nigeria is rapidly evolving and those who will be on top in the times to come are those who can properly harness the power of information (or knowledge)

Its not going to be easy, a lot of people will look down on you cos of the class of your degree. Some will even offer to pay you peanuts. You must be constantly developing yourself as you will always have to prove what you are really worth.

It will be all good in the end.

Ehyaa... just 2 likes after u took out time to post this mini book here. Sure u were feeling like a guru before clicking the submit button, but nlanders just fall ur hand. No worry before e reach 2weeks, dem go show u more love

5 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Nobody: 10:26am On Jun 26, 2015
jomonic:

Microbiology is a nice one closest to a carrier in environmental engineering. You can pursue a career there. Environmental Engineering is very lucrative these days. You could land a job in the Oils and Gas Service sector. Try some certification courses. They are expensive though (about N400,000) such as:

BGAS-CSWIP Agricultural & Environmental Inspector (Google it)
NEBOSH Module on Environment (Google it)

With the two certs above you will go far if you are disciplined and dedicated.

OP one thing I have to add is that the certifications are not just enough if you are not interested in the targeted vocation. Hope you understand me? Your world is just what you created by your own free choice. Trust me it is. Believe in your self and you will succeed even with pass degree. We can start at any time to correct things in our lives.

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by ojosegun2011(m): 10:28am On Jun 26, 2015
Why not? Yopu will surely get now especially if you can work in Osun where graduates are gardeners and street sweepers. That's a third class degree job and you must also be ready to work without pay because that is the spirit of Omoluabi and his continuity in Osun, suffering and smiling.
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Icon4s(m): 10:29am On Jun 26, 2015
Yes u can still get a job.
To tell u d truth, that PGD has nt added much value to ur quest for a job. It only makes u now qualified for a masters degree.

With a 3rd class u can actually relatively more easily get low paying jobs like teaching, Insurance, advertising agencies, travel agencies, community banks etc.

Your chance of getting a job in a Well established firm is very slim. It is true that a couple of pple with 3rd class have gotten well paid jobs bt what is the percentage?

This thread should also serve as an eye opener to students.

4 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Sagamite(m): 10:32am On Jun 26, 2015
peeta89:
Good evening. I graduated in 2011 from a University here in Nigeria where I studied Microbiology. I actually had a third class although I am running a PGD programme at the moment and I am almost rounding off. So I want to know if I can get a job with my 3rd class degree combined together with my PGD statement of result? I am in my mid 20's. I need an urgent advice please.............

It will be tough as many positions would be closed to you, mate, but I am sure there would be a few people that think outside the box and would give you a chance.

To improve your chances:

- Present yourself well at ALL times.
- Focus on your network and networking.
- Focus on jobs you can realistically get to start with (e.g. Sales, PA and Call Centre).

2 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Icon4s(m): 10:37am On Jun 26, 2015
mysticgal:
For me, erm it's not the grade you pass out with that gives you the job but your performance and confidence. I believe most companies want practical than theoretical knowledge,if you're good with what you do,I don't see any reason why a reasonable coy would leave you.

oh op,you also need gracesmiley

My Sister it is only when ur class of degree gets u shortlisted that u can have d opportunity for the performance and confidence u are talking abt. With that 3rd class he may never b shortlisted except through connections.

And still talking abt performance and confidence, a 3rd class has a way of diminishing ones confidence. U Will no longer believe in ur abilities and dat will negatively affect one's performance.

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by adewumiopeyemi(m): 10:41am On Jun 26, 2015
u are sick
Nicepoker:

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Nobody: 10:41am On Jun 26, 2015
Do you know that when you do Phd and masters who gives a Bleep about Bsc.. When first class in Bsc are damn looking for jobs...I have somebody who studied statistics and he came out with a first class... He search for job tire oo. Omo baba call me ask me if they have started applying for masters in my school unilag,.. E no easy... So as far you are doing Phd..if u like come out with 2:1(second class upper).. U have hope compared to Bsc 1st class.. Some people do Phd for 5years and they have no pass still... The process for Phd is narrow and bad..then someone would succeed in it and would get a job... In Igbo we call it Ochuchu which means they are following you from village ... So my advice is you would get a job but Pray also.. Take care

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by zeezu22(m): 10:42am On Jun 26, 2015
MVLOX:
Am currently a 300l Geology student, and it so clear to me that ama grad wit a 3rd class. But honestly am not bothered. This becuz like u may already knw examination is not a true test of knowledge and real employers of labour today do not look for those with just good results but those who can get d job done. I attended the monthly meeting of Nigerian Association of Petroleum explorationist and one of d speakers talked abt developing our abilities. Most pple wit good result rely just on their results to make tins happen for dem and later dey get frustrated wen tins turn out to wat dey neva expected. As a 3rd class graduate u have the advantage of planning and starting small. Personally I already have so many plans that will get me started immediately I grad next year. So bro don't give up or feel bad....just focus on areas pple over look.....the key words is to plan and start small and in no time u will find ur self at a top where u have always wanted to
guy what you heard in skol is diff from what is out here.wen u come out u wil knw how bad it is to gradaute with 2.2,nt to talk of 3rd class.

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by adewumiopeyemi(m): 10:44am On Jun 26, 2015
dude third class are gettin d job.....more than d firstclass and second class is wha u can offer we determine....
zeezu22:

guy what you heard in skol is diff from what is out here.wen u come out u wil knw how bad it is to gradaute with 2.2,nt to talk of 3rd class.

2 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by peeta89(m): 10:48am On Jun 26, 2015
peeta89:
Good evening. I graduated in 2011 from a University here in Nigeria where I studied Microbiology. I actually had a third class although I am running a PGD programme at the moment and I am almost rounding off. So I want to know if I can get a job with my 3rd class degree combined together with my PGD statement of result? I am in my mid 20's. I need an urgent advice please.............
I really appreciate all your advice and encouragement on Nairaland. And I am delighted to have used my experience to educate those who are having the same problem. I have gotten over 40 Bbm invites over this topic I posted and I am trying my best to educate them on the step to take. God bless us all and our academic afforts will never be in VAIN.

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by adewumiopeyemi(m): 10:53am On Jun 26, 2015
DONT give up boss.. am just like u....GOD IS OUR STRENGTH...
peeta89:
I really appreciate all your advice and encouragement on Nairaland. And I am delighted to have used my experience to educate those who are having the same problem. I have gotten over 40 Bbm invites over this topic I posted and I am trying my best to educate them on the step to take. God bless us all and our academic afforts will never be in VAIN.

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Nobody: 10:53am On Jun 26, 2015
In life first class or third class doesn't matter..I have a nephew who came out wit 3rd class but with her connection she is working in capital oil and industries earning big..while a nigga I know that came out with 1st class in statistics is still fighting hard very a year and six months looking for job... Is it by class?? No be yahoo boys wey dey build mansions...something most of us who re graduates would never do till we die...in Football the uneducated classic super stars are earning big every week... Infact ehn their salary a week some of us may never make it in this life and even if we were given another life... The betting Gs nko.. Many of them have hammer from it.... It depends on how u exploit urself...cos after all Bill Gates has made over 4 billionaires and very 368 millionaires... Abeg did he finish school... Was drake not in school of medicine but see him now... 60percents of doctors in nigeria won't earn reach him half....if I mention more that means its gonna take infinity so it only matters how u exploit urself and as for me I won't boast but I am making it big... Getting money and am happy wen I see my bank account and am just 19years old... So try like u have never prayed and pray like u have never tried... Wishing you luck bro.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Nobody: 10:54am On Jun 26, 2015
Have faith bro. D battle doesn't belong to the strong

Do you live in Akwa Ibom State? Do you relish the desire to own your own business with little start up capital and promising returns in investment? Do you hope to look into the mirror each morning and know you are talking to the boss? Are you enterprising?/Would you love to be? Do you have an aptitude for thinking out of the box? Then call or add me up on whatsapp 08085188110. You will be glad you did
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by divinelove(m): 10:56am On Jun 26, 2015
peeta89:

stop wasting money doin PGD jst go for self employment with the money u will b beta off undecided

millions of Msc holders cnt even get a job talk more of third GINI lipsrsealed

d only way u will get a job with third class is thro ur connection and mostly a private company

u may even b beta than some first class holder but will u get d chance to prove it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Rapbender(m): 10:59am On Jun 26, 2015
peeta89:
people get good jobs in Nigeria without degrees. just keep ur fingers crossed and give it a try. spread ur cv across and pray u get a favorable call someday wink

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

"Meet Me At Mega Hilton Hotel": An Interviewer Told Me. I Have Suffered / 250K For Househelp Job In Banana Island, Only Graduates Needed. Nigerians React / Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.