Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,631 members, 7,951,610 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 07:26 PM

Nigeria And Cancer:a Turbulent Water Needing A Strong Bridge - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigeria And Cancer:a Turbulent Water Needing A Strong Bridge (1189 Views)

Dead Body Abandoned By Pedestrian Bridge In Abuja / Nigeria's Roadside Eye Doctor Performs Operations Under Lagos Bridge. Shocking! / Science Reveal Bee Venom Can Cure Hiv And Cancer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria And Cancer:a Turbulent Water Needing A Strong Bridge by Nigersitzn(m): 2:04pm On Feb 28, 2009
A huge amount of money was invested during the last administration of President Olusegun Obasanjo to Purchace few state-of-the-art high energy radiotherapy machines(linear accelarator;otherwise known as linacs),and building up to four sophisticated radiotherapy centers at some strategic teaching hospitals.I know you would think what are all these machines and what do they do.Well,to simply put it,these machines can be used to treat CANCER,and i am among the few oppotuned Nigerians that was trained on how they work(i was a Medical physics trainee at national hospital Abuja).
   The centers are equiped with the machines and all accessories and equipment required for the running of the centers.In our country of 140 million citizens,there are many citizens with different cases of cancer (mostly;cervical,breast,lungs,prostate,head and neck,leaucaemia,and many cases).The unfortunate scenario is that,almost 95% of such people dont know about it,dont even know what to do or where to go for the few ones that are diagnosed,and the most terreble case is that,they cant afford the various treatment----if available.The previous government have put a first step in addressing these problems,but fails to look at one most important sector:mampower! who are the required professionals to use these machines?the answer is virtually none.
   It requires a lot of professionals like the oncologist (ratio to patient is in Nigeria 1:10m),Medical physicist (only about 3 registerd and licenced medical physicist in nigeria),radiotherapist(just a handfull) and many professionals(Engineers,radiotherapy nusses etc).It is high time for us to stop ignoring this desease known as Cancer.Our rulers need to start looking at our health sector critically because the consequences could happen to everyone whether rich,poor,young and old.I would like to use my biological uncle as an example:The late executive governor of Yobe State;Sen.Mamman Ali,Who died of complications arose from cancer case(may his soul rest in peace).
     Hope this could be a lesson that we need to put always at the back of our heart and try to think about the cries of those ones that are having thesame cases,but cuold not be heard.I believe in Nigeria,and i hope that we can make that change,But WE NEED TO CHANGE FIRST!
Re: Nigeria And Cancer:a Turbulent Water Needing A Strong Bridge by tpia: 11:52pm On Mar 01, 2009
Re: Nigeria And Cancer:a Turbulent Water Needing A Strong Bridge by MONISOLA1: 10:50am On Jun 03, 2012
I like your comment. Am a physics graduate with intention of studying medical physics here in Nigeria, i want to know duration and will there be a job after graduating. I dont want to study a course that i will not get a job. Pls enlighten me i need more information.

(1) (Reply)

Help, My Head Is Shrinking / Betnovate c,how effective? / Home Remedies That Worked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.