Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,136 members, 7,880,568 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 09:17 PM

Hindu A Religion: How It All Came About - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Hindu A Religion: How It All Came About (829 Views)

Without Religion How Do You Think The World would Have Been? / TRUE RELIGION: How Sure Are You? / Religion, How Did It Began (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hindu A Religion: How It All Came About by ROIC007(m): 3:35pm On Mar 01, 2009
[b][flash=200,200]http://Hindu Religion is the most ancient Religious faith, culture and traditional way of life of a civilization that has existed for over 10,000 years all over India and much of adjoining areas of Asia. Hindu Religion is not a true Religion in the real sense of the term but more a way of life or a "Dharma" -to live a life of purity with simplicity with a sense of Natural Justice. It does not have any one founder, and it does not have one source book like a Bible or a Koran to which controversies can be referred for resolution. Consequently, it does not require its adherents to accept any one idea like a dogma imposed on every one. It does not accept any dogmas or dictatorial religious guidance. It encourages every one to think, analyze, question and accept the faith with true knowledge and intuition. Since Hindu scriptures include not just books relating to spirituality but also secular pursuits like science, medicine, astronomy and engineering, it defies classification as a religion. In fact one can almost identify Hinduism with a civilization and a culture that is flourishing even now.

Evidence that Hindu Religion must have existed even circa 10000 B.C. is available: The importance attached to the river Saraswati and the numerous references to it in the Rigveda (interestingly, Ganga appears only twice) indicates that the Rigveda was being composed well before 6500 B.C. The first vernal equinox recorded in the Rigveda is that of the star Ashwini, which is now known to have occurred around 10,000 B.C. The technological sophistication required to even anticipate such concepts is unlikely to have been acquired by a nomadic people. The faith existed both on the East and the West of this Indus valley. The Aryan Invasion Theory having been completely discredited, it cannot be assumed that Hinduism was the nomadic faith of invaders belonging to a Central Asian race called Aryans. Rather it was the common metafaith or belief of people of various races, including Harappans. The Sanskrit word Aryan is a word of honorable address, not the racial reference as 'invented' by European scholars and put to perverse use by the Nazis.

Unless otherwise specified, Aryan will be used in this document as a word of honorable address. Within this culture, there were several variations in the groups, some following narration of recitations and rituals and others joining together in a common place for a congregational worship and for marker stones and symbols. Various groups of people like hunters, farmers and other nomadic groups followed it all over this area. It was seen with slight variations within each group. It is said that there were several forms of the faith existing at the early history, which was organized into one faith by King Vaivasvatha Manu [about 8600 BCE]. This evolved into the Sanatana Dharma or the modern day Hindu Religion of Vedas, Agamas, Sãstras and rituals as one great faith and practice. If you interested in answers you contact me on here, or mail me on outlandishcoker007@yahoo.co.uk, lol[/flash][/b]
Re: Hindu A Religion: How It All Came About by PastorAIO: 8:09am On Mar 02, 2009
I didn't realise that there was anything such thing as Hinduism. I thought it was just a blanket term that the British used to describe all the various religious forms that they found in India, many of which stood in contradiction to others.

If there was no invading Aryan race, then please can you tell me how the caste system originated.
Re: Hindu A Religion: How It All Came About by ROIC007(m): 10:32am On Mar 02, 2009
[b] Caste is defined as a rigid social system in which a social hierarchy is maintained generation after generation and allows little mobility out of the position to which a person is born (Encarta Encyclopedia). The word caste was first used by 16th century Portuguese traders; it is taken from the Portuguese word casta. Varna, the word for caste, means color and referring to the old racial differences between conquerors and conquered. The basis of the caste divisions was social and economic rather than racial.
The original caste system, Varna, of India came about when the Aryan-speaking nomadic groups migrated from the north to India about 1500 B.C, The Aryan priests divided society into a caste system of four parts. Between 200 B.C. and 100 A.D., the Manu Smriti, or Law of Manu, was written. The Aryan priest- lawmakers created in it four hereditary divisions of society, putting their own priestly class at the head of this caste system with the title of earthly gods, or Brahmans (priests and teachers). Second in rank were the Kshatriyas (rulers and warriors). Then their were the Vaishyas (merchants and traders). The 4th was the Sudras (workers and peasants) born to be servants to the other three. The four groups are from divine origin and emerged from a portion of the Creator symbolically appropriate to its activities. Brahmans from the mouth of God, Kshatriyas from His arms, Viaishyas from His thighs, and Shudras from His feet. Far lower than the Sudras and out of the social order are the Harijans or Untouchables. They did all the dirty work (Lamb 135).
The Indian caste had hereditary membership. Marriage was only permitted within the same caste. There were restrictions on the choice of occupation and on personal contact with members of other castes. Central to the caste system were the ideas of samsara (reincarnation) and karma (quality of action). The belief is that if one obeys the rules of caste, reincarnation into a higher caste is possible, but women may only have the privilege of coming back as an animal if they are good enough. Are you okay with this Pastor
[/b]
Re: Hindu A Religion: How It All Came About by Bastage: 10:39am On Mar 02, 2009
Consequently, it does not require its adherents to accept any one idea like a dogma imposed on every one. It does not accept any dogmas or dictatorial religious guidance. It encourages every one to think, analyze, question and accept the faith with true knowledge and intuition.

Not true. There is man-made fundametalism and dogma within the beliefs of Hinduism just as there are with any other religion.

I didn't realise that there was anything such thing as Hinduism. I thought it was just a blanket term that the British used to describe all the various religious forms that they found in India.

Spot on.
Re: Hindu A Religion: How It All Came About by PastorAIO: 11:58am On Mar 02, 2009
ROIC007:

Marriage was only permitted within the same caste. There were restrictions on the choice of occupation and on personal contact with members of other castes. Central to the caste system were the ideas of samsara (reincarnation) and karma (quality of action). The belief is that if one obeys the rules of caste, reincarnation into a higher caste is possible, but women may only have the privilege of coming back as an animal if they are good enough. Are you okay with this Pastor

Well, as a Good 'hindu' do you obey the rules of caste and refrain from coming into contact with white people in the hope that maybe in your next life you might be white.

Am I okay with this? Actually, I'm not. I detest any system whose function is to inhibit the chances of every human being to explore and express their full potential. The idea that if I am not a brahmin I cannot study religion but must stick to a restricted profession that I may or may not be skilled at. I think the sheer fact that a shoe maker can have a son that will go on to be a scientist and a soldier can have a son that can go on to become a priest is enough for me to see the utter fallacy and evil nonsensicality of the caste system, or varna system if that's what you want to call it, and subsequently the Hinduism (whatever that is) from which it stems.
Re: Hindu A Religion: How It All Came About by ROIC007(m): 12:33am On Mar 03, 2009
I think the sheer fact that a shoe maker can have a son that will go on to be a scientist and a soldier can have a son that can go on to become a PRIEST is enough for me to see, I PRAY YOU GET CATHOLIC PRIEST AS A SON THERE WE SEE YOUR FAITH
Re: Hindu A Religion: How It All Came About by bawomolo(m): 3:03am On Mar 03, 2009
I didn't realise that there was anything such thing as Hinduism. I thought it was just a blanket term that the British used to describe all the various religious forms that they found in India, many of which stood in contradiction to others.

Why didn't the blanket term include Sikhism and Islam?
Re: Hindu A Religion: How It All Came About by PastorAIO: 8:42am On Mar 03, 2009
I don't know about sikhism but I do know that the islamists will not like being lumped together with the others. Besides the british were already aware of Islam. Why not Sikhism? I don't know.
Re: Hindu A Religion: How It All Came About by Bastage: 11:05am On Mar 03, 2009
I believe it is because Hinduism was based around the Vedic belief system and is thousands of years old, whereas Sikhism is totally different - both in content and the fact that it is relatively new.
More than enough to make a distinction between the two.

(1) (Reply)

Letter To God / What Star Means / Violence Again !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.