Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,476 members, 7,971,780 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 03:26 PM

Meet Africa's Youngest University Registrar - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Meet Africa's Youngest University Registrar (1329 Views)

"You Only Love My Elder Sister, Isabella": 2face's Youngest Daughter Tells Annie / Africa's Youngest Billionaire (in Dollars) Is An Immigrant To Uganda (pics) / Meet Africa’s 5 Inaugural Female Pilots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Africa's Youngest University Registrar by itsdumebi(m): 2:00pm On Jul 01, 2015
In an environment where the educational system does not permit pupils to graduate as at when due, mostly as a result of incessant strikes, some people such as Olumuyiwa Oludayo has not only graduated as at when due but has quickly moved up the ladder of success as the youngest registrar in Africa, at age 32. He would have been the youngest in the world but the record was first made by a man from Australia who was registrar at 35 years old, and another American lady who first became registrar at age 24 in the 18century.

His journey to achieving such height at this young age didn’t just happen and contrary to what many would imagine, he wrote JAMB five times before entering the Covenant University as a pioneer student in 2002. He narrates his journey to one of the highest offices in the academic sector in this interview with Florence Utor.

Can you tell me how your journey to becoming the registrar of the Covenant University began?

I got admission as a pioneer student in 2002 at the Covenant University and like any other university that would want a student body, I was appointed the first student council chairman of the Covenant University, here we call it student’s council as at against SUG in other Universities. That gave me the opportunity to learn leadership practically. I had the opportunity to work with the Chancellor Dr. David Oyedepo and other professors and to see how you could plan strategically because we were the first set and I was seen as the voice of the students and also the link between the students and the university.

That responsibility was very engaging and the university have a very unique approach to the things it does, covenant is not regular regarding rules and regulations, we want to raise a new generation of leaders so many things that are not by the norm so many of the things and approaches were strange, I also had the responsibility of ensuring that people accepted what was different from the norm like having my colleagues accept to wearing ties, wearing their identity cards on the necks instead of their pockets, showing them the vision of tomorrow and other things. All of these experiences enabled me to develop my leadership acumen.” I graduated in industrial relationship and human resource management. I went ahead to have to have a masters degree in human resource management from this same university as well as my PhD in human resource management.” I served with debunked spring bank turned enterprise bank now heritage bank. We were managing the north east region and it also gave me an opportunity to see how receive reports, manage vision for the entire organization, how to break down corporate vision to the people on the floor and see how they can run with it.”

Before I became registrar I was a dean of students, that ushered me into the highest academic decision making body which is the senate, I was 29 years old then and the youngest. I served for one year and then went back to complete my PhD in the same university while I was working as a lecturer, and in 2013, I became the registrar I lecture here in human resources generally, I facilitate course in center for human development, I am also the outgoing president of the alumni association and a couple of other engagements here and there.

Was your coming back to covenant as a result of not having an alternative?
Not at all, After all my degrees I got job offers from many organizations like Price Water House, KPMG, Spring bank but I declined all of these because I wanted to come back to Covenant to work. For me it was about Gods plan, I just wanted to follow what God was telling me to do. It is important that every young person should know that it is about what God designs for you to do, and I yielded to that though it was not economically advantageous but like I use to tell my colleagues that I didn’t come to covenant university to work for the economic advantage but for the destiny advantage, if it was for economic advantage, I would have gone to a KPMG or found myself in a Price Water House because those organizations had prospects for bigger things that I knew Covenant would not give me but I returned here and became the university first chair of the alumni association. Today it has eleven thousand graduates spread across the world and in all the 36 states in Nigeria.

How do you get all these responsibilities going?
Many at times, we feel that what God give us is the best but Gods gift for us is just a potential, what we do with it is what matters. A man once said someone told a farmer your farm is very beautiful and luscious and the famer answered, yes, but you would have seen it when God gave it to me, if God gives you the gift of eloquence, it does not mean at all that you have the world at your feet, no, it is by doing something with what God give us by engaging it in efforts. What I have been doing is ensuring that, every opportunity to serve, lead or make a contribution, I don’t shy away from it. I may not have all the best competence but you see a man who makes a mistake is one that is doing something, there is something good at stake, if you are not making a mistake then it means you are not trying anything at all and I have made a couple of mistakes too but I also learnt from them. Currently I am the chairman of the university strategic business unit, all of the commercial ventures of the university, I sit on the board, I mean from the filling station, the guest houses cafeteria, shuttle busses, I over see all of these you may wonder at this young age but I am older than mike zukerberg and he is controlling the world.

Read full interview here :http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/06/oludayo-breaks-rank-becomes-registrar-at-32/

Re: Meet Africa's Youngest University Registrar by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jul 01, 2015
this is too long for me to peruse. . . . Congrats to him anyway
Re: Meet Africa's Youngest University Registrar by okangisaiah(f): 2:26pm On Jul 01, 2015
Congrats
Re: Meet Africa's Youngest University Registrar by Teeboy22(m): 2:35pm On Jul 01, 2015
i can't read all this.

Congrats man!
Re: Meet Africa's Youngest University Registrar by kolatobs(m): 2:36pm On Jul 01, 2015
nice one
Re: Meet Africa's Youngest University Registrar by tpiander: 2:38pm On Jul 01, 2015
Also changed his name?

(1) (Reply)

24-year-old Nigerian Is Best Law Student At Cambridge / Fans 'molest' Nicki Minaj's In Vegas / Wadafuck?! Family Of The Girl Who's Nipple Was Bitten Of Just Realizedthe Pictur

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.