Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,128 members, 7,880,528 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 08:11 PM

The Stress I Went Tru Job Hunting - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Stress I Went Tru Job Hunting (913 Views)

9ja Nawa.... Job Hunting Diary. / See How You Can Do Marketing Without Stress I / With These 4 Qualities You Are Not Going Job Hunting Again. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Stress I Went Tru Job Hunting by Merlissa(f): 6:47pm On Jul 01, 2015
After my completion of NYSC, I always dreamt to work in an oil company and after like 5 years, I’d quit to start up my own company (my dreams would soon be a reality….. just watch out!). I got some interesting offers but the work load was not inviting Don’t get me wrong, I am not lazy but I want to enjoy where I work that way I would not join my fellow labour works who complain every second about how boring their work is or how they aren’t learning much, blah blah blah.

In Nigeria, for one to get oil jobs takes a lot of connections and kissing people’s ass just to get a job in fact, it’s a contract job which is renewed after a certain number of years and the whole process involves another load of connections and ass kicking. I can’t kiss ass for anyone when I have got mad ideas that I can use to make money. I got an offer for one of these new generation banks. At first, I was like I can’t work in any of these banks. Some Nigerian banks over use their workers and I wasn’t ready for it.

Luckily, I got a job with a private company. I wrote the test and was told they would contact me in a couple of weeks.  3 weeks after my exams, they contacted me saying I should come in the next day for an interview by 8am. The following day I got up by 4am, prayed and got ready for my interview. I took a cab (so I don’t get delayed and get to the venue on time). I got to the office by 7:30am. By 8:00am, I went to the receptionist and told her who I wanted to see and she told me to wait.  The wait felt like forever (I was snoozing off and on) and the receptionist just kept telling me to exercise patience that the HR would soon be with me. I was hungry as I didn’t eat earlier and getting restless as the chairs weren’t comfortable. I watched people go in and come out.

By 12 noon I was finally called in to sit in the waiting area of the HR’s office.  While I was waiting I asked the receptionist if the people going in and out were also doing interview, she said NO that I was the only one scheduled for the interview today. I was already angry that I had to sit for 4 hours just to be transferred to the HR’s waiting area and I sat for another 3 hours.  

Continue here : https://merlscorner./2015/07/01/the-stress-of-job-hunting/
Re: The Stress I Went Tru Job Hunting by kinibigdeal(m): 7:07pm On Jul 01, 2015
Re: The Stress I Went Tru Job Hunting by kinglekan: 8:27pm On Jul 01, 2015
Merlissa:

By 12 noon I was finally called in to sit in the waiting area of the HR’s office.  While I was waiting I asked the receptionist if the people going in and out were also doing interview, she said NO that I was the only one scheduled for the interview today. I was already angry that I had to sit for 4 hours just to be transferred to the HR’s waiting area and I sat for another 3 hours.  

Interesting stuff Nigerians have to go through all the time. I wonder what happened to business ethics and rights of prospective employees. One is expected to keep to time while HR can do as they please.

Pathetic!
Re: The Stress I Went Tru Job Hunting by Merlissa(f): 8:30pm On Jul 01, 2015
kinglekan:

Interesting stuff Nigerians have to go through all the time. I wonder what happened to business ethics and rights of prospective employees. One is expected to keep to time while HR can do as they please.

Pathetic!

The tin sef tire me

(1) (Reply)

PFL Education March 2016 Expo / Apply For Youth Entrepreneurship Support (YES) Programme / Mass Recruitment At Custodian Life Assurance Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.